Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksplasher

Quick Learner

Quick Learner

Knight said:

How does one go about uploading an image as a custom avatar? -- Is creation of one restricted to a certain number of post or..........?

I couldn't find any way to upload one from the Modify Avatar page.

====EDIT====​

Oops! Nevermind. I just read the Account / Upgrade policy.

glad to see people who read join TOL. tWINs

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh...I thought Chrysostom had shown a peculiar lack of imagination in his choice of smiley purchase.

:thumb: The more you know. :thumb:​

genuineoriginal

Hey Knight,
Do you need to add an epileptic seizure warning on the truthsmack gauge?
truthsmack-gage.gif

Lyraluthuin

Knight, I have two newbish questions.

First, is there any such thing as an all-inclusive newbie thread? Other boards I've registered at have places where newbies can go to say hi, rub elbows, and get to know people who actually like newbs (as opposed to being inclined to shoot them down and make them want to leave).

Second question being, is double, triple, and quadruple posting considered perfectly fine and normal here? I see it done a lot, especially when people quote & reply to more than one user post. Other boards I'm on consider double-posting to be really bad board etiquette.

This is a great board! Thank you for your time & effort in putting it together, and hopefully in answering my silly questions!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight, I have two newbish questions.

First, is there any such thing as an all-inclusive newbie thread? Other boards I've registered at have places where newbies can go to say hi, rub elbows, and get to know people who actually like newbs (as opposed to being inclined to shoot them down and make them want to leave).
An all-inclusive newbie thread doesn't work so well (trust me, TOL is 12 years old). Every newbie has a story, and we want to get to know each one on a more personal level. An all-inclusive newbie thread branches out in so many directions that it quickly becomes useless and ignored. When newbies post new intro thread's separately the existing TOL members often notice it and give it more attention.

Second question being, is double, triple, and quadruple posting considered perfectly fine and normal here? I see it done a lot, especially when people quote & reply to more than one user post. Other boards I'm on consider double-posting to be really bad board etiquette.

This is a great board! Thank you for your time & effort in putting it together, and hopefully in answering my silly questions!
I'm not sure I know what you mean. I would consider a double post if somebody made the same post or thread twice. It sounds like you think a double post is when somebody quotes an entire post made by somebody else. We frown on the former but accept the latter.

assuranceagent

I think what he means when he says 'double post' is that often the same person will be the originator of two consecutive posts within a thread. For instance if I said, 'John Calvin hung the moon' I'd likely draw a number of 'cordial' replies from various posters who would politely disagree with me. If I quoted and responded to each of them in turn in separates posts, he would call that "double or triple posting."

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think what he means when he says 'double post' is that often the same person will be the originator of two consecutive posts within a thread. For instance if I said, 'John Calvin hung the moon' I'd likely draw a number of 'cordial' replies from various posters who would politely disagree with me. If I quoted and responded to each of them in turn in separates posts, he would call that "double or triple posting."
That...

Status
Not open for further replies.