Armed terrorists occupy federal building - won't leave until their demands are met

Jose Fly

So a local resident and two other witnesses see the Hammonds illegally poach a herd of deer on public land. Then less than two hours later the hunters have to evacuate their campsite because of a fire in the same area.

One of the Hammonds' own relatives (a teenager) testifies that Steven Hammond gave him matches and told him to "light up the whole county on fire". He does, and the fire spreads so fast that the teenager has to dive into a creek to escape the flames. Then when the teenager goes back to the family ranch, Steven Hammond tells him to "keep his mouth shut" and "no one needs to know about the fire".

All this evidence is presented to a jury (of locals) who find the Hammonds guilty of arson.

Additionally, in 2006 as firefighters were fighting several fires (naturally caused), a burn ban is put into place. Despite the ban, and in full knowledge that firefighters were on the ground in the area, Steven Hammond sets multiple fires without notifying anyone. This forces the firefighters to evacuate and stop their firefighting activities. The next day, a firefighter confronts Steven Hammond, who admits to setting the fires. The jury also convicts Steven Hammond of arson for this incident.

And these are the people the militia is rallying around (even though the Hammonds don't want them to)? I don't think "unhinged" does justice to the sheer insanity of these people.

Granite

Hall of Fame
So a local resident and two other witnesses see the Hammonds illegally poach a herd of deer on public land. Then less than two hours later the hunters have to evacuate their campsite because of a fire in the same area.

One of the Hammonds' own relatives (a teenager) testifies that Steven Hammond gave him matches and told him to "light up the whole county on fire". He does, and the fire spreads so fast that the teenager has to dive into a creek to escape the flames. Then when the teenager goes back to the family ranch, Steven Hammond tells him to "keep his mouth shut" and "no one needs to know about the fire".

All this evidence is presented to a jury (of locals) who find the Hammonds guilty of arson.

Additionally, in 2006 as firefighters were fighting several fires (naturally caused), a burn ban is put into place. Despite the ban, and in full knowledge that firefighters were on the ground in the area, Steven Hammond sets multiple fires without notifying anyone. This forces the firefighters to evacuate and stop their firefighting activities. The next day, a firefighter confronts Steven Hammond, who admits to setting the fires. The jury also convicts Steven Hammond of arson for this incident.

And these are the people the militia is rallying around (even though the Hammonds don't want them to)? I don't think "unhinged" does justice to the sheer insanity of these people.

Yes, that's correct. They're angry some arsonists are going to prison and they took over a building to show just how angry they are. And they've got guns and want to get into a shootout.

This is really, actually happening.

Sigh

oh noes, hundreds of squirrels could be endangered.

Or worse: teenage squirrels could be introduced to the NRA and then armed.

Naz! Thank you for bringing up there is a reality of differences between this militia and terrorists!

Jose Fly

Yes, that's correct. They're angry some arsonists are going to prison and they took over a building to show just how angry they are.

Which makes no sense, because they don't seem to be protesting their convictions or jail sentences.

And they've got guns and want to get into a shootout.

And that's what this really seems to be about. These nutters got wind of "The federal government is sending some ranchers to jail", and figured "Hey, maybe we can turn this into a shootout with the feds!"

IOW, this has nothing to do with the Hammonds or the actual facts of the case. They didn't get their shootout at the Bundy ranch or the Grants Pass mining thing, so they're trying to get it here.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Which makes no sense, because they don't seem to be protesting their convictions or jail sentences.

And that's what this really seems to be about. These nutters got wind of "The federal government is sending some ranchers to jail", and figured "Hey, maybe we can turn this into a shootout with the feds!"

IOW, this has nothing to do with the Hammonds or the actual facts of the case. They didn't get their shootout at the Bundy ranch or the Grants Pass mining thing, so they're trying to get it here.

The Hammonds have made it clear they don't want need or appreciate the Bundys's "help." This is just some thrill-seeking idiots looking to go down in a blaze of glory on TV.

Nazaroo

I noticed that the flakey mainstream news (i.e., CNN, Fox, etc.)
have taken to calling an ordinary building built by the government, a "compound".

Same language they used to describe WACO...

I'm just waiting for the News background story
that will confirm that all the occupants are pedophiles,
so that the army can go in and kill all the women and children
by gassing them and burning them alive,
in order to save them.

466808-waco-davidians.jpg

quip

BANNED
Banned
Been there, done that. My question (to clarify) was how exactly the armed protestershad been "jerked around." Even the Hammonds don't support what they're doing.

They're tired of the way the government treats ranchers. :idunno:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Everybody knows you are a hypocrite Granite....I don't have to explain anything. :idunno:

You've been officially in a snit since after one too many threads about guns. Put me on ignore and do yourself a favor, otherwise sniping at me makes you look like a bigger doofus than usual.

Happy new year.

Granite

Hall of Fame
They're tired of the way the goverment treats ranchers. :idunno:

The way they treat everybody else, in other words.:chuckle:

Do this outside the NSA Death Star and I'll be impressed, but these knuckleheads aren't doing any good and won't accomplish a darn thing. Stupidity and machismo run amok.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
You've been officially in a snit since after one too many threads about guns. Put me on ignore and do yourself a favor, otherwise sniping at me makes you look like a bigger doofus than usual.

Happy new year.

Bite me....I don't use ignore.

Hey...Happy New Year to you too! :e4e: