ARCHIVE: The "anty"christ is killing us!

Mateo

Clete says:

I have noticed that people are very emotionally attached to the things they've been taught. They seem to emotionally attach the issues to the person who taught them. The more they love that individual the less likely they are to ever part with the things learned from them. This holds true even if one is self taught. Its a loyalty thing, I think, but more unconcious than that.

Mateo says:

I'm there Clete. We gather to our bosom these notions and the persons attached to them and they become little mini-gods not to be questioned or "blasphemed" by anyone. If they've actually paid hard earned money to go someplace and learn it the hook is set doubly deep. Then there are those whose beliefs are family heirlooms bequethed to them by thier parents. We know momma and daddy loved us and they would point us wrong. I'll leave you with a quote I posted in another forum:

"A mind is like a parachute. It won't work if it's not open"

Frank Zappa - Philosopher/Composer

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Mateo

"A mind is like a parachute. It won't work if it's not open"

Frank Zappa - Philosopher/Composer

This is brilliant, I love it! :thumb:

ChristisKing

Renewed mind set on things above!

Renewed mind set on things above!

I like this one better:

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth."

Paul of Tarsus - Apostle/Missionary

But maybe that's just the Calvinist in me.

claire

BANNED
Banned
Re: make mine on the rocks

Re: make mine on the rocks

Originally posted by Shaun
billwald,
That's a nice twist of Argumentum ad Popularum you've got there. Does it come with Pina Coladas as well?

MMMMM, Pina Coladas...:)

Our "path" to salvation is in our OWN hands , then it is the grace of God which grants it.....

Those who believe that there is a short list pre-prepared by God when we hit the earth running....are mistaken.....our works do not gain us salvation....salvation is a GIFT from God....but it is not bestowed REGARDLESS of those choices we make while we are here....

God expected/expects certain things of us before we can even be considered for "salvation".....

It is the truth....

:)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Re: Renewed mind set on things above!

Re: Renewed mind set on things above!

Originally posted by ChristisKing
I like this one better:

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth."

Paul of Tarsus - Apostle/Missionary

But maybe that's just the Calvinist in me.

You didn't leave me much to go on here but I think I get your point. If I'm not mistaken this is the common Calvinist refrain that things like predestination can't be understood with our "earthly minds", they must be understood with our "spiritual minds".

Predestination, (providence, fate, or whatever you want to call it) is not an uncommon belief among nearly every pagan group in the world. Every time a tragedy occurs, the papers love to say that "it was fate" or an "act of God". Aristotle and Plato loved the idea of fate. In fact they practically invented the idea. My point being, that you DO NOT have to be "spiritually minded" to understand and believe in fate. In fact it is Calvinism that is derived entirely through logic, starting from the premise that God can not change in anyway whatsoever. The resulting theology is propped up by some scripture, but because the premise is wrong, so are the conclusions.

Crucified with Him,
Clete

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristisKing

So many verses...so little time!

So many verses...so little time!

Clete,

I was just replying to Mateo's quote of Zappa.
:)

But anyway since you asked, the biblical doctrine of predestination is not presented as "fate" or anything else like that by the Holy Spirit. It is presented as God in Sovereign control of everything!

PRO 21:1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

ISA 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

PRO 20:24 Man's steps are ordained by the Lord, How then can man understand his way?

PRO 16:9 The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.

PSA 37:23 ¶ The steps of a man are established by the Lord, And He delights in his way.

PRO 19:21 Many plans are in a man's heart, But the counsel of the Lord will stand.

JER 10:23 ¶ I know, O Lord, that a man's way is not in himself, Nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps.

So many verses, so little time....

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
ChristisKing,

You said...
".... the biblical doctrine of predestination is not presented as "fate" or anything else like that by the Holy Spirit. It is presented as God in Sovereign control of everything!"

Calvinist predestination docrine is exactly like fate in every way. The only possible difference might be that you say God is doing it as apposed to saying that some other god or gods were doing it. Otherwise, it is the exact same concept.

I'll take you verses one at a time.

1. PRO 21:1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

This verse teaches that God interacts with and even manipulates people but does not teach that He does so by force. To say that God violates ones freewill using this verses goes several steps farther than this verse does.

2. ISA 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

This verse argues in MY favor, not yours! If you create light, you by default create dark. Dark is simply the absense of light. Light would be meaningless if there where no darkness. Imagine trying to read this post if it were white letters on a white background! You couldn't do it because the letters would effectively not be there.
The next segment of the sentence makes the exact same point. Peace (or good) wouldn't be possible without evil. In other words, you CAN NOT love if you can not choose to love. Without an alternative there is no choice. Without choice there is no love. Therefore, without being able to choose hate, love is meaningless.
The very definition of love itself testifies to the lie of Calvinism!

3. PRO 20:24 Man's steps are ordained by the Lord, How then can man understand his way?

A good Strong's concordance is a help here.
The word translated "Man's" is 'geber' it means 'strong man' or 'mighty man'. The word translated "man" is 'adam', it means 'an ordinary man'.
So then...."A mighty man's steps are ordained by the Lord, How then can an ordinary man understand his way?"
Sounds like "If you don't let God lead you, get ready to be confused about your life" to me. Or it could also be saying that an ordinary man is not going to understand the ways of a man who lets God direct his paths. Either way, it sounds good to me, they should put that one in proverbs. Oh, wait a minute...they did! :)

4. PRO 16:9 The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.

Okay, God is involved in your life. I don't dipute that. But, again, using this verse to teach that we have no ability to decide anything is going to far and says more than the verse does.

5. PSA 37:23 The steps of a man are established by the Lord, And He delights in his way.

Although, this verse is chain referenced in the NKJV with the previous two verses you quote. It seems out of place.
Again, the word used here for "man" is 'geber'. So, this verse teaches us that if we are good, then God will make us strong, and will be pleased with us. Sounds like another good candidate for Proverbs! :)

It is interesting to note here that the translators of the NKJV (as well as all the modern English translations) were Calvinists.

6. PRO 19:21 Many plans are in a man's heart, But the counsel of the Lord will stand.

In other words... We can't defeat God. Whats your point?

7. JER 10:23 I know, O Lord, that a man's way is not in himself, Nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps.

This is the last of the verses chain referenced in the NKJV. And similarly, isn't as strong a proof text as a mere surface reading would indicate.
Remember the three most important things in interpreting scripture....
1. Context
2. Context
3. Context

This chapter is not talking about individuals, but nations. Specifically, Israel vs. Gentiles. There are definately things that God intends to make happen concerning Israel (as a nation) but this doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you or I have freewill.

Now, there is a simple (if not overly brief) explanation of the handful of verses you presented as proof that God predetermined everything. I presented, uncomplicated arguments to show that these verses do not teach what you thought they taught. Arguments that any novice, with a few resources can discover on their own. In otherwords there is no need to be a expert theologian to figure these things out. All that is required is a little homework.

I am going to give you a list of verses. I would like to see if you are able to explain how they don't mean what they seem to mean using the same types of argument.

Jer. 19:5 "(they have also built the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings to Baal, which I (GOD) did not command or speak, nor did it come into My mind),"
I guess maybe those Arminian child murderers weren't predestined in the mind of God before time began after all!

Luke 7:30 "But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the will of God for themselves, not having been baptised by him (John the Baptist)."
This one really puts a dent in that whole "Irresistable Grace" thing doesn't it?

Gen. 3:22&23 "Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"--therefore the Lord God sent him out of the garden of Eden..."
Wasn't it already predestined whether he would take and eat beforehand? This verse presents us with a possibility. There is no room for possibilties in a world that is predestined. Its either predestined or it's not.

Gen 18:20&21 "And the Lord said, "Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grave, I will go down now and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry against it that has come to Me: and if not, I will know."
The important phrases here are "I (God) will go down now and see..." and "...and if not, I will know." Note the future tense "I will know."
I can't wait to see how a Calvinist explains away this one! Though I have no doubt you'll come up with something!

Okay, that enough for now.

I await your reply.
Clete

ChristisKing

Gebers Creepers!

Gebers Creepers!

Clete,

Geber's, creepers,

I can't believe my peepers!

Geber's, creepers

I can't believe my eyes!!!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Re: Gebers Creepers!

Re: Gebers Creepers!

Clete,

Geber's, creepers,

I can't believe my peepers!

Geber's, creepers

I can't believe my eyes!!!

I like it! Very clever!
I'm not sure what it means, but I like it! :crackup:

ChristisKing

Man is sovereign therefore God doesn't know!

Man is sovereign therefore God doesn't know!

Clete,

What my "gebers" peepers can't believe is that you, as a Christian, can say God doesn't know something and He is surprised by events. This is that old declared heresy of socianism rearing it's ugly head again.

It seems to have been first articulated by Aristotle in his Interpretation writings that the "gods" don't know the future. It has attempted to infiltrate the church time and time again over the centuries and has been rejected at it's every attempt.

Today it is known as Open Theism.

In order to prop-up that old idol of "man's sovereign free-will" again, open theist's proclaim that because "man's free-will is sovereign" God must not and cannot know the future.

Of course scripture clearly refutes this false doctrine by the hundreds of fulfilled prophesies, the plan of salvation itself and the plain teachings of the Word of God.

ISA 46:9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

ISA 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

But your belief in the sovereignty of man's free-will and of God's not knowing the future is absolutely and thoroughly consistent. They are the heart and head of this creature and it cannot live without either.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Thats a nice speech, but it does nothing to refute a single argument and presents some information that simply can not be true.

Aristotle was the first to teach that god can not change. His logic was that if a perfect god changed then he would have to change for the worse and would therefore refuse to change.
Since god can not change, the future must be set in place, otherwise god might be surprised or have a new thought which would be a change and that would be a problem for god.
Since Aristotle was considered at the time to be the smartest guy on the planet, virtually everyone bought everything they guy said.
This includes folks like Augustine, who before he became a christian practically worshiped Aristotle and Plato. Augustine interpreted the bible in the light of Aristotilian "truth".
That interpretation was passed on through Luther, who was an Augustinian monk. From Luther the teaching was picked up by Calvin who systemitised and formalized Augustinian theology which we call today Calvinism.
If you would like more detail on this subject you can go to here...
http://www.biblicalanswers.com/predestination/Predestination book.htm

Before reading the next few sentences, you might want to wrap your head with duct tape. That way when your head explodes, you can retreive all the pieces with less trouble! :)

Ready!

As for hundreds of fulfilled prophecies, I of course agree that there are hundreds of prophecies that have and will be fulfilled. However, there are some that were not.

The book of Jonah for example.
"Forty days and Nineveh will be detroyed."
Didn't happen! Yes, Nineveh was detroyed but not till years later and not in relation to this prophecy. In fact when forty days hit, Nineveh was in better shape than it had been in a long time. God was BLESSING Nineveh not detroying them, because they repented.

And Jesus...
Matt. 16:27&28 "27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. 28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."
There aren't any people around who are 2000+ years old, are there?

There are more, but that's enough for now.

Once you've collected all the pieces of your head, read the 18th chapter of Jeremiah. It explains how such things might happen and why.

And I would still love to see a direct response to the four scriptures I quoted. They do directly contradict a Calvinist world view. I say directly because the contradiction isn't merely superficial. The problems they present for you cannot be explained away by any valid means (use of language, figures of speech, or incorrect translation or the like). I would be willing to bet that you never even knew these verses existed before this conversation.

Resting in Him,
Clete

ChristisKing

All the answers!

All the answers!

Clete,

I went to the website "biblicalanswers.com" that you recommended. I was surprised to see that it contains every single answer to the bible.

I noticed the "answer man" for this website is "the legendary" Bob Hill. As the website states, "Bob has invested over 50,000 hours in the study of systematic theology. Although he never attended a Bible College or seminary, his knowledge of theology has become legendary."

It's so rare to be taught by a self-taught legend in our own time. I now see why you have all the answers!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Do you have any substantive arguments to refute what I have presented to you or will you need to resort to attacking a man whom you have never met and know nothing about except that which he himself has volunteered on his own website. If he is not ashamed of his background, why should I be. Besides, my arguments are not based on who I learned them from but on the bible(you might want to reread the posts about how people get attached to the theology because they are attached to the person who taught them).
In any case, I find this kind of tactic distasteful. If you can't refute my arguments then say so, then sit down and think about what that means to you and to your thelogical worldview. Otherwise, present something to me that has some intellectual merrit.

ChristisKing

Yet the fool multiplies words!

Yet the fool multiplies words!

Clete,

You refute yourself, you need no help frm me!

ECC 10:14 Yet the fool multiplies words. No man knows what will happen, and who can tell him what will come after him?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Another predestined Calvinist defeat!

Another predestined Calvinist defeat!

Clete,

You refute yourself, you need no help frm me!

ECC 10:14 Yet the fool multiplies words. No man knows what will happen, and who can tell him what will come after him?

WOW!! This so brilliant, I'm speachless. :rolleyes:

One more Calvinist bites debating dust!
Must have been predestined! :chuckle:

If you (or anyone else who reads this) would like to respond in a more substantive way, I'd love to hear from you!

In the mean time....as my favorite talk show host likes to say....
DO RIGHT AND RISK THE CONSEQUENCES!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited: