ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

No worries...

No worries...

Thanks and kudos for Clete and others for getting things back on track.

I want to respond to a couple of things that were raised, but Philetus is correct that they really deserve their own thread, so I am starting a new thread. I guess we can call it "Did Jesus atone for sins?" As you might suspect, my answer will be "perhaps for his own, but not for anyone else!"

I hope you will bring your thinking caps, squeeze in a half of a lemon, and join me.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Bacon said:
Thanks and kudos for Clete and others for getting things back on track.

I want to respond to a couple of things that were raised, but Philetus is correct that they really deserve their own thread, so I am starting a new thread. I guess we can call it "Did Jesus atone for sins?" As you might suspect, my answer will be "perhaps for his own, but not for anyone else!"

I hope you will bring your thinking caps, squeeze in a half of a lemon, and join me.
Here's a link for anyone who is interested....

Did Jesus atone for sins?

patman

RobE said:
Actually, I'm trying to explain 'WHY' God is able to see the future. And yes, I believe God is able to do those things which are impossible for me to do. Creation, omnipresence, etc.....

What more is there? I would appreciate a list.

Reasons to believe God does not see the future:

1. There is no mention in the Bible to the extent of his future knowledge. Those who believe he knows all of the future base their faith on assumptions not found in scripture.

2. No number of accurate predictions of future events is enough to prove 100% future knowledge, especially when one or more inaccurate predictions exist.

3. It is wrong to assume that God, who often speaks (or shows) he wants to forget (or not know) certain things, excludes the future things. Meaning if he can forget a present event, he can forget a future event too (if he actually foreknows it.)

4. God tests men to see what they will do. He does this for his own benefit. He expresses that he knows after the test, not before. Where does it say he knows he already knows the outcome to every test?

5. God changes his mind.

6. God sometimes doesn't fulfill prophecy.

7. Sometimes the outcome of the events is not as God predicted they would be.

As for 7, I resubmit the prophetic timeline involving the failed prophecies concerning Nebuchadnezzar, Pharaoh Necho(Jeremiah 46), Egypt and Tyre(Ezekiel 26). It proves that God did not send Necho and his Egypt into 40 years of captivity under Nebuchadnezzar, that Nebuchadnezzar did not take nor destroy Tyre as prophesied and Nebuchadnezzar did not ever utterly destroy Egypt to the extent prophesied nor during the timeframe specified.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=901117&postcount=398

History itself testifies and agrees with the Bible's records, yet God has spoken doom that didn't happen. Despite what theological problems this might raise on "can God be wrong," or anything else, you must admit that future knowledge wasn't available to God when he spoke of these events. If it were he would have spoken the actual outcome, nothing more nor less!

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The future is correctly known as possible/probable until it becomes actual/certain in the present. The only way to have exhaustive foreknowledge of future free will contingencies is a deterministic model (at the expense of love, freedom, relationship, responsibility). The issue is the nature of the type of creation God chose and the nature of His sovereignty (providential vs meticulous), not whether or not He is omniscient (He is...we all agree on this, but what are possible objects of knowledge as related to a partially open vs fatalistic future?).

RobE

patman said:
Reasons to believe God does not see the future:

Patman: 1. There is no mention in the Bible to the extent of his future knowledge. Those who believe he knows all of the future base their faith on assumptions not found in scripture.​

Yet it does point out that future knowledge exists. To assume that He is able to know some of the future and not ALL of the future is irrational. Couldn't He know all of the future by the same means that He knows some of the future?

2. No number of accurate predictions of future events is enough to prove 100% future knowledge, especially when one or more inaccurate predictions exist.​

There are no 'inaccurate' predictions in existence.

3. It is wrong to assume that God, who often speaks (or shows) he wants to forget (or not know) certain things, excludes the future things. Meaning if he can forget a present event, he can forget a future event too (if he actually foreknows it.)​

Agreed. God may indeed not wish to know some things. To say that He is unable to know some things is different though.

4. God tests men to see what they will do. He does this for his own benefit. He expresses that he knows after the test, not before. Where does it say he knows he already knows the outcome to every test?​

The story of Isaac and Abraham. God made the promises to Abraham before the story of Isaac based on foreknowledge.

5. God changes his mind.​

Agreed that God is able to change His mind. Whether He has or not is in debate.

6. God sometimes doesn't fulfill prophecy.​

Could be, but then it wasn't a prophecy by definition. Or you could say that God foreknew A would happen, but relented and A didn't happen. Either way God would have to foreknow that A would happen which proves foreknowledge.

7. Sometimes the outcome of the events is not as God predicted they would be.​

Only when God changed it himself. If God were to say that His desire was for B to happen doesn't preclude that God knew A would happen in reality. Figures of speech.

Thanks,
Rob

RobE

godrulz said:
The future is correctly known as possible/probable until it becomes actual/certain in the present. The only way to have exhaustive foreknowledge of future free will contingencies is a deterministic model (at the expense of love, freedom, relationship, responsibility). The issue is the nature of the type of creation God chose and the nature of His sovereignty (providential vs meticulous), not whether or not He is omniscient (He is...we all agree on this, but what are possible objects of knowledge as related to a partially open vs fatalistic future?).

Not really. God is able to foreknow the future based upon His immense intellect as well. To say otherwise would mean that God is limited. In other words. "The future is correctly known as possible/probable until it becomes actual/certain in the present". is a correct statement; but you go on to ignore that God understands all of the probabilities and is able to calculate the outcome based upon those probabilities. Round triangles address possibilities not probabilities. Since you are able to calculate probabilities then I'm assuming his 'omniscience', which isn't in dispute, would be sufficient for Him to do so with an infinitely more accurate result.

Rob

godrulz

Hall of Fame
RobE said:
Not really. God is able to foreknow the future based upon His immense intellect as well. To say otherwise would mean that God is limited. In other words. "The future is correctly known as possible/probable until it becomes actual/certain in the present". is a correct statement; but you go on to ignore that God understands all of the probabilities and is able to calculate the outcome based upon those probabilities. Round triangles address possibilities not probabilities. Since you are able to calculate probabilities then I'm assuming his 'omniscience', which isn't in dispute, would be sufficient for Him to do so with an infinitely more accurate result.

Rob

God can certainly extrapolate the future to a greater degree based on His perfect past/present knowledge and intelligence. The future inherently has an element of uncertainty, so it is not limiting God to not know all of it as certain. The issue is parallel to God not being able to make round triangles. It involves logical contradiction/absurdity, not a limitation on God's omnipotence or omniscience (do not confuse these concepts either).

patman

Let's go one point at a time:

Patman: 1. There is no mention in the Bible to the extent of his future knowledge. Those who believe he knows all of the future base their faith on assumptions not found in scripture.

Rob: 1. Yet it does point out that future knowledge exists. To assume that He is able to know some of the future and not ALL of the future is irrational. Couldn't He know all of the future by the same means that He knows some of the future?

This is the essence of the problem. Taking $500 in the bank and saying there is $1,000,000.

Lets try your sentence and replace "future", "some" and "all" ref's with $money$ amounts.

Yet it does point out that money in MY BANK account exists. To assume that there is $500 and not $1,000,000 is irrational. Couldn't the account have $1,000,000 by the same means that has $500?

So in short. No.

No, some future knowledge does not equate 100% future knowledge, nor is it reasonable to assume it does.

To assume so requires evidence. There is none. Present some if you have any.

If you base all your arguments on this assumption, your starting point is faulty, and your other points will most likely fall. If you did your finances this way, you'd be broke.

Bacon

The god of scripture is neither omniscient nor omnipotent - nor omnipresent...

The god of scripture is neither omniscient nor omnipotent - nor omnipresent...

godrulz said:
God can certainly extrapolate the future to a greater degree based on His perfect past/present knowledge and intelligence. The future inherently has an element of uncertainty, so it is not limiting God to not know all of it as certain. The issue is parallel to God not being able to make round triangles. It involves logical contradiction/absurdity, not a limitation on God's omnipotence or omniscience (do not confuse these concepts either).

The god of scripture is neither omniscient nor omnipotent - nor omnipresent... Who ever said that he was?? Philosophy - not scripture.

Bill Ross

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Bacon said:
The god of scripture is neither omniscient nor omnipotent - nor omnipresent... Who ever said that he was?? Philosophy - not scripture.

Bill Ross

Boo...

GOD not god

God is able to do all that is doable. This does not mean He does everything He could possibly do, nor does it mean He can do self-contradictory things.

God's awareness extends to all of the universe.

God knows all that is logically possible to know. Not knowing the future as certain does not limit His omniscience.

Verses can be found to support God's attributes.

Do you believe in a finite god? It is not worthy of worship then.

Bacon

Finite god

Finite god

godrulz said:
Boo...
GOD not god
God is able to do all that is doable. This does not mean He does everything He could possibly do, nor does it mean He can do self-contradictory things.
God's awareness extends to all of the universe.
God knows all that is logically possible to know. Not knowing the future as certain does not limit His omniscience.
Verses can be found to support God's attributes.
Do you believe in a finite god? It is not worthy of worship then.

No, god. THEOS is not a proper noun. It is a noun. It is not a name. That tradition is not, IMHO, helpful.

Nor are the omnis.

We would do much better, I think, to read the scriptures as they were written - where the word "god" does not designate:

"the One who is omnipresent, omni..."

But rather

"a supernatural national champion/king. Most gods live in the sky."

Then we can understand the usage of the word in scripture:

Ge 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Ge 31:30 And now, though thou wouldest needs be gone, because thou sore longedst after thy father’s house, yet wherefore hast thou stolen my gods?
Ge 31:32 With whomsoever thou findest thy gods, let him not live: before our brethren discern thou what is thine with me, and take it to thee. For Jacob knew not that Rachel had stolen them.
Ge 35:2 Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments:
Ge 35:4 And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods which were in their hand, and all their earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem.
Ex 12:12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.
Ex 15:11 Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?
Ex 18:11 Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods: for in the thing wherein they dealt proudly he was above them.
Ex 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Ex 20:23 Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.
Ex 22:28 Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people.
Ex 23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.
Ex 23:24 Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images.
Ex 23:32 Thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor with their gods.
Ex 23:33 They shall not dwell in thy land, lest they make thee sin against me: for if thou serve their gods, it will surely be a snare unto thee.
Ex 32:1 And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up, make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.
Ex 32:4 And he received them at their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.
Ex 32:8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.
Ex 32:23 For they said unto me, Make us gods, which shall go before us: for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.
Ex 32:31 And Moses returned unto the LORD, and said, Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold.
Ex 34:15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;
Ex 34:16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.
Ex 34:17 Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
Le 19:4 Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God.
Nu 25:2 And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods.
Nu 33:4 For the Egyptians buried all their firstborn, which the LORD had smitten among them: upon their gods also the LORD executed judgments.
De 4:28 And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men’s hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.
De 5:7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.
De 6:14 Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;
De 7:4 For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly.
De 7:16 And thou shalt consume all the people which the LORD thy God shall deliver thee; thine eye shall have no pity upon them: neither shalt thou serve their gods; for that will be a snare unto thee.
De 7:25 The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therein: for it is an abomination to the LORD thy God.
De 8:19 And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.
De 10:17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:
De 11:16 Take heed to yourselves, that your heart be not deceived, and ye turn aside, and serve other gods, and worship them;
De 11:28 And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.
De 12:2 Ye shall utterly destroy all the places, wherein the nations which ye shall possess served their gods, upon the high mountains, and upon the hills, and under every green tree:
De 12:3 And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place.
De 12:30 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
De 12:31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.
De 13:2 And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;
De 13:6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
De 13:7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;
De 13:13 Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;
De 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded;
De 18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
De 20:18 That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God.
De 28:14 And thou shalt not go aside from any of the words which I command thee this day, to the right hand, or to the left, to go after other gods to serve them.
De 28:36 The LORD shall bring thee, and thy king which thou shalt set over thee, unto a nation which neither thou nor thy fathers have known; and there shalt thou serve other gods, wood and stone.
De 28:64 And the LORD shall scatter thee among all people, from the one end of the earth even unto the other; and there thou shalt serve other gods, which neither thou nor thy fathers have known, even wood and stone.
De 29:18 Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood;
De 29:26 For they went and served other gods, and worshipped them, gods whom they knew not, and whom he had not given unto them:
De 30:17 But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them;
De 31:16 And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.
De 31:18 And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods.
De 31:20 For when I shall have brought them into the land which I sware unto their fathers, that floweth with milk and honey; and they shall have eaten and filled themselves, and waxen fat; then will they turn unto other gods, and serve them, and provoke me, and break my covenant.
De 32:16 They provoked him to jealousy with strange gods, with abominations provoked they him to anger.
De 32:17 They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new gods that came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.
De 32:37 And he shall say, Where are their gods, their rock in whom they trusted,
Jos 22:22 The LORD God of gods, the LORD God of gods, he knoweth, and Israel he shall know; if it be in rebellion, or if in transgression against the LORD, (save us not this day,)
Jos 23:7 That ye come not among these nations, these that remain among you; neither make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause to swear by them, neither serve them, nor bow yourselves unto them:
Jos 23:16 When ye have transgressed the covenant of the LORD your God, which he commanded you, and have gone and served other gods, and bowed yourselves to them; then shall the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and ye shall perish quickly from off the good land which he hath given unto you.
Jos 24:2 And Joshua said unto all the people, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Your fathers dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time, even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nachor: and they served other gods.
Jos 24:14 Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.
Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Jos 24:16 And the people answered and said, God forbid that we should forsake the LORD, to serve other gods;
Jos 24:20 If ye forsake the LORD, and serve strange gods, then he will turn and do you hurt, and consume you, after that he hath done you good.
Jos 24:23 Now therefore put away, said he, the strange gods which are among you, and incline your heart unto the LORD God of Israel.
Jud 2:3 Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you.
Jud 2:12 And they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the LORD to anger.
Jud 2:17 And yet they would not hearken unto their judges, but they went a whoring after other gods, and bowed themselves unto them: they turned quickly out of the way which their fathers walked in, obeying the commandments of the LORD; but they did not so.
Jud 2:19 And it came to pass, when the judge was dead, that they returned, and corrupted themselves more than their fathers, in following other gods to serve them, and to bow down unto them; they ceased not from their own doings, nor from their stubborn way.
Jud 3:6 And they took their daughters to be their wives, and gave their daughters to their sons, and served their gods.
Jud 5:8 They chose new gods; then was war in the gates: was there a shield or spear seen among forty thousand in Israel?
Jud 6:10 And I said unto you, I am the LORD your God; fear not the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but ye have not obeyed my voice.
Jud 10:6 And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim, and Ashtaroth, and the gods of Syria, and the gods of Zidon, and the gods of Moab, and the gods of the children of Ammon, and the gods of the Philistines, and forsook the LORD, and served not him.
Jud 10:13 Yet ye have forsaken me, and served other gods: wherefore I will deliver you no more.
Jud 10:14 Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let them deliver you in the time of your tribulation.
Jud 10:16 And they put away the strange gods from among them, and served the LORD: and his soul was grieved for the misery of Israel.
Jud 17:5 And the man Micah had an house of gods, and made an ephod, and teraphim, and consecrated one of his sons, who became his priest.
Jud 18:24 And he said, Ye have taken away my gods which I made, and the priest, and ye are gone away: and what have I more? and what is this that ye say unto me, What aileth thee?
Ru 1:15 And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.
1Sa 4:8 Woe unto us! who shall deliver us out of the hand of these mighty Gods? these are the Gods that smote the Egyptians with all the plagues in the wilderness.
1Sa 6:5 Wherefore ye shall make images of your emerods, and images of your mice that mar the land; and ye shall give glory unto the God of Israel: peradventure he will lighten his hand from off you, and from off your gods, and from off your land.
1Sa 7:3 And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the LORD with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the LORD, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines.
1Sa 8:8 According to all the works which they have done since the day that I brought them up out of Egypt even unto this day, wherewith they have forsaken me, and served other gods, so do they also unto thee.
1Sa 17:43 And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
1Sa 26:19 Now therefore, I pray thee, let my lord the king hear the words of his servant. If the LORD have stirred thee up against me, let him accept an offering: but if they be the children of men, cursed be they before the LORD; for they have driven me out this day from abiding in the inheritance of the LORD, saying, Go, serve other gods.
1Sa 28:13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
2Sa 7:23 And what one nation in the earth is like thy people, even like Israel, whom God went to redeem for a people to himself, and to make him a name, and to do for you great things and terrible, for thy land, before thy people, which thou redeemedst to thee from Egypt, from the nations and their gods?
1Ki 9:6 But if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them:
1Ki 9:9 And they shall answer, Because they forsook the LORD their God, who brought forth their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and have taken hold upon other gods, and have worshipped them, and served them: therefore hath the LORD brought upon them all this evil.
1Ki 11:2 Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love.

The god of Israel is finite, not infinite. He is geographically in a single place - the sky. He is a male. He exerts himself to form things, and rests to be refreshed. He knows some things and not others.

The infintite god is not the scriptural one, but the philosopher's.

ApologeticJedi

RobE said:
Patman: 1. There is no mention in the Bible to the extent of his future knowledge. Those who believe he knows all of the future base their faith on assumptions not found in scripture.​

Yet it does point out that future knowledge exists. To assume that He is able to know some of the future and not ALL of the future is irrational. Couldn't He know all of the future by the same means that He knows some of the future?

Stepping back a bit and looking at a similar principle - If God is physically able to do good, is it irrational to say that He cannot physically do evil? I would agree that such is irrational. God is physically (or powerfully - to be more accurate) able to do the evil. So then is the Bible wrong when it says God cannot do evil or tempt men to do evil? Heaven forbid! Rather that view notes that God is constrained by His own will.

Ergo, OVers say that He knows some of the future because He planned it. But in order to make independent creatures with free will, He cannot plan out their actions for them. Thus some of the future is unknown to God. He could have planned out everything, but then men would be mere puppets. He left some things to time and chance (Ecc 1:11)

RobE said:
The story of Isaac and Abraham. God made the promises to Abraham before the story of Isaac based on foreknowledge.

Is that the story or is that supposition? I don't remember God saying that the promises made to Abraham were made based on "foreknowledge"? What passage was that? I do remember how God phrased it in one place was that some of His promises were contingent upon how Abraham would act in the future. A contingent promise somewhat denies foreknowledge, does it not? At least on the surface, without the Settled side making supposition, I would think so.

RobE said:
Agreed that God is able to change His mind. Whether He has or not is in debate.

There is no way for God to be dominant over fate without having made decisions for Himself. That is the extent of "making up one's mind", or "changing one's mind", as the figure of speech goes.

RobE said:
Could be, but then it wasn't a prophecy by definition. Or you could say that God foreknew A would happen, but relented and A didn't happen. Either way God would have to foreknow that A would happen which proves foreknowledge.

If it didn't happen then it wasn't "prophecy by definition"? That's certainly framing the debate a bit your way.

Why can't a prediction be a prophecy? Why would it have to be foreknown to be prophecy? Can you see how forcing your definition of "prophecy" frames the debate a bit?

RobE said:
Only when God changed it himself. If God were to say that His desire was for B to happen doesn't preclude that God knew A would happen in reality. Figures of speech.

That's more supposition. What about passage in the Bible that say God "thought" something different would happen? And as I read the Bible, the stories of when the future didn't turn out, as God predicted is not exclusive to what God himself changed. Clearly these stories cannot be taken by your side at face value, but supposition of extra-biblical teachings must be used to explain them away. The idea that such extra-biblical suppositions should be held in the same regard as scripture themselves would be a troubled argument in my own opinion.

I've been reading and was fascinated. I think you have brought up some good points, but in this post I thought you were glossing over some of the strong points on the OVer's side.

ApologeticJedi

Bacon said:
No, god. THEOS is not a proper noun. It is a noun. It is not a name. That tradition is not, IMHO, helpful.

A fact, little known to public school graduates :dunce: -- we also capitalize titles in the English language. For instance we would capitalize "the Archbishop of Canterbury" and even "the President of the United States".

The "tradition" is that the name of God is hallowed and not spoken.

(Having a little fun at your expense.)
:)

Last edited:

Bacon

Capitalization

Capitalization

ApologeticJedi said:
A fact, little known to public school graduates :dunce: -- we also capitalize titles in the English language. For instance we would capitalize "the Archbishop of Canterbury" and even "the President of the United States".
The "tradition" is that the name of God is hallowed and not spoken.
(Having a little fun at your expense.)
:)

"God" is not a title, like "President" though it is used that way with damaging consequences. In the scriptures the convention is to use the definite article ("the") when referring to "the one true god." However, English "Bibles" regularly use capitalization as it suits them to enforce trinitarian dogma, ignoring accuracy of translation and English capitalization rules. The practice is corrupt fruit from a corrupt tree. The rule they follow is not:

* is this reflecting the Greek?
* is this a proper name?
* is this a title?

But rather:

* is this a reference to any of the people in the "Trinity?"

For example, what English capitalization rules are at work here?:

Lu 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Why not "heavenly father?" Is "father" a name or title? Certainly not in this context. "Holy Spirit' - name or title? No. It is strictly a Catholic/Protestant religious tradition that when the bogus "Trinity" is in view - enforce it!

What is even more obnoxious are the facts that:

* "Spirit" is the Greek word "breath" and that is how it should be translated
* there is no definite article in the Greek - it is not "THE holy breath" but "holy breath."

There is no person named or titled "the Holy Spirit" in scripture. This is just one more effort to slide one into the pages of scripture by a heavy handed manipulation of the text.

Also, by suggesting that "God" is a title of an office one suggests that multiple people can share the office. The Greek definite article - "THE god" makes this reference definite so that you don't do the unbiblical shenannigans like referring to "God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit." In scripture Jesus was raised from the dead by THE god, not "a person of the God office."

If you want an uncorrupted English translation then rid it of such corruption. If you want to pay homage to Constantine on every page of scripture then continue the corrupt practice. It is NOT hallowing the god's name to do so, but rather defacing it.

Bill Ross

RobE

godrulz said:
God can certainly extrapolate the future to a greater degree based on His perfect past/present knowledge and intelligence.

How much greater is His extrapolation than yours?

The future inherently has an element of uncertainty, so it is not limiting God to not know all of it as certain.

No act is certain until it is accomplished, but that doesn't mean that the knowledge of the act might not be certain. Practice .vs Theory.

The issue is parallel to God not being able to make round triangles. It involves logical contradiction/absurdity, not a limitation on God's omnipotence or omniscience (do not confuse these concepts either).

You say this over and over without proof. What's your proof?

Rob

RobE

What?

What?

patman said:
Let's go one point at a time:

Patman: 1. There is no mention in the Bible to the extent of his future knowledge. Those who believe he knows all of the future base their faith on assumptions not found in scripture.

Rob: 1. Yet it does point out that future knowledge exists. To assume that He is able to know some of the future and not ALL of the future is irrational. Couldn't He know all of the future by the same means that He knows some of the future?

Patman: This is the essence of the problem. Taking $500 in the bank and saying there is $1,000,000.

Lets try your sentence and replace "future", "some" and "all" ref's with $money$ amounts.

Yet it does point out that money in MY BANK account exists. To assume that there is $500 and not $1,000,000 is irrational. Couldn't the account have $1,000,000 by the same means that has $500?

So in short. No.​

Why not? Couldn't I have put $1,000,000 by the same meanst that I put $500 into it? Your analogy is meaningless unless there is more to it.

If you base all your arguments on this assumption, your starting point is faulty, and your other points will most likely fall. If you did your finances this way, you'd be broke.

To believe that God is able to discern some of the future and not all of the future means that God is more knowing in some situations without presenting a basis for it. You might say that God knows the outcomes of His own actions, but would have to ignore that creation itself and you are outcomes of His own actions.

Rob

godrulz

Hall of Fame
RobE said:
You say this over and over without proof. What's your proof?

Rob

Modal logic deals with distinctions between contingencies, necessities, certainties, etc. It uses complex symbols. Academic literature dealing with our issue gets very technical. This would be 'proof' for you. I operate on a more basic level and feel it is self-evident. Contingencies mean something may or may not happen. Until the choice is made, there is an element of uncertainty, especially from trillions of years ago.

Chaos theory and quantum mechanics also resonate with the philosophical concepts to some degree.

I have spent decades doing my homework to understand the proof. I cannot regurgitate it in a few posts, especially when you reject basic assumptions outright.

You seem to lean to Molinism's middle knowledge. This is a very confusing attempt to have cake and eat it too. I find it problematic and inadequate to deal with the issues.

RobE

ApologeticJedi said:
Stepping back a bit and looking at a similar principle - If God is physically able to do good, is it irrational to say that He cannot physically do evil? I would agree that such is irrational. God is physically (or powerfully - to be more accurate) able to do the evil. So then is the Bible wrong when it says God cannot do evil or tempt men to do evil? Heaven forbid! Rather that view notes that God is constrained by His own will.

I agree with this.

Ergo, OVers say that He knows some of the future because He planned it. But in order to make independent creatures with free will, He cannot plan out their actions for them. Thus some of the future is unknown to God. He could have planned out everything, but then men would be mere puppets. He left some things to time and chance (Ecc 1:11)

I agree with this. However this doesn't address His ability to figure out(determine) what will happen.

Is that the story or is that supposition? I don't remember God saying that the promises made to Abraham were made based on "foreknowledge"? What passage was that? I do remember how God phrased it in one place was that some of His promises were contingent upon how Abraham would act in the future. A contingent promise somewhat denies foreknowledge, does it not? At least on the surface, without the Settled side making supposition, I would think so.

I discussed this with Bob Hill, Lighthouse, and Godrulz on this thread.

There is no way for God to be dominant over fate without having made decisions for Himself. That is the extent of "making up one's mind", or "changing one's mind", as the figure of speech goes.

There is no proof that God ever changed His mind within creation. This particular ('changing one's mind) figure of speech is detrimental to this argument and confuses what we're talking about. You are able to see what it does to the communication in this thread.

If it didn't happen then it wasn't "prophecy by definition"? That's certainly framing the debate a bit your way.

Not really. The bible and webster's agree that if you predict(prophecy) something which didn't come to pass it wasn't a prediction. The word itself means (pre-'fore', dict-'say') foresay. You foresay what you foreknow. Predict doesn't mean guess, etc.... If the weather man predicts it will rain and it doesn't, then he didn't predict the weather.

Why can't a prediction be a prophecy? Why would it have to be foreknown to be prophecy? Can you see how forcing your definition of "prophecy" frames the debate a bit?

A prediction is a prophecy and according to Deut. a prophecy which doesn't come to pass is false or invalid.

That's more supposition. What about passage in the Bible that say God "thought" something different would happen? And as I read the Bible, the stories of when the future didn't turn out, as God predicted is not exclusive to what God himself changed. Clearly these stories cannot be taken by your side at face value, but supposition of extra-biblical teachings must be used to explain them away. The idea that such extra-biblical suppositions should be held in the same regard as scripture themselves would be a troubled argument in my own opinion.

I don't see it as supposition, only as perspective. I don't communicate with my two year old the same way I communicate with you. God in turn communicates with us where our understanding is; not where His understanding is. Jonah wasn't a false prophet, yet the prophecy Jonah made about Nineveh's destruction never occurred. God, and in turn Jonah, didn't lie. God foreknew Nineveh's outcome and averted it. Whether God foreknew of the outcome or not the fact was that Nineveh would be destroyed in forty days; unless Jeremiah 18 were introduced into the situtation. God not revealing all that He knew didn't make Him a liar only a teacher. When Jonah made the prediction it was completely true. Timing. Yet Jonah believed they might repent and didn't want to go there. Why wouldn't God who is much more intelligent than Jonah know the same thing with much greater accuracy.

Thanks,
Rob

I've been reading and was fascinated. I think you have brought up some good points, but in this post I thought you were glossing over some of the strong points on the OVer's side.
As far as I am able to figure out, the only strengths in the O.V. position requires mis-use of the English language. Confusing 'will do' and 'can do', 'probability' and 'possibility', 'predict' and 'fore-say', etc......

When these errors are removed then you are left with Molinism or Arminianism. I, who oppose all five tenets of Calvinism, appreciate the strong defense that Open Theism gives to 'free will'; respect the positions that God is relational, loving, etc; its doctrine on salvation and grace; and am in agreement on all of its positions except foreknowledge. I believe that this belief against foreknowledge is based upon Pinnock's, Boyd's, Sander's, and the other 'fathers' of the O.V.'s reliance on process philosophy(process theology). This belief requires God to evolve and is driving straight towards Pelagianism where the 'free will' of man is paramount, grace is non-existent, and man is able to save Himself. Dangerous, and it allows the Pagan, Agnostic, Atheist, and all those who oppose Christ; a window to find righteousness within themselves, a god who is unsure, a god who might be mistaken, and every other conclusion which the Devil himself came to. I don't believe for an instant that any of these men aren't men of God - just that their acceptance of 'process' is destroying the underpinning of their(and others) faith. Whitehead and the current popularity of the 'freedom of choice' is the driving force behind God being unable to know the future. Foreknowledge isn't based upon Greek influenced thinking anymore than western logic is. It is common sense. Whether God exists 'outside of time' as Aquinas proposed or God is able to figure it out as Molina proposed doesn't matter. All causes have predictable effects which doesn't require a supernatural ability to simply foreknow from observation in the case of the Thomists. On the other hand, a belief in foreknowledge leads many to accept a belief in fate; based upon the same errors in logic mentioned above. Man's attempt to become free is far less dangerous than man believing he is free to begin with; and, therefore, able to thwart the will of God. Both are incorrect positions since we as Christians know that man's freedom exists within the will of God. Outside His will you are truly nothing but a slave.

RobE

godrulz said:
Modal logic deals with distinctions between contingencies, necessities, certainties, etc. It uses complex symbols. Academic literature dealing with our issue gets very technical. This would be 'proof' for you. I operate on a more basic level and feel it is self-evident. Contingencies mean something may or may not happen. Until the choice is made, there is an element of uncertainty, especially from trillions of years ago.

Chaos theory and quantum mechanics also resonate with the philosophical concepts to some degree.

I have spent decades doing my homework to understand the proof. I cannot regurgitate it in a few posts, especially when you reject basic assumptions outright.

Here's an article on the Modal Fallacy which you might find interesting.

The Modal Fallacy

You seem to lean to Molinism's middle knowledge. This is a very confusing attempt to have cake and eat it too. I find it problematic and inadequate to deal with the issues

In what way? It's true that I lean towards 'freeness'. It's probably my protestant upbringing.

Anyway enjoy the article.
Rob

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I do not think the modal fallacy is the same as the discipline of modal logic, a type of established logic. This is like saying the logical fallacy of begging the question negates sound logic. A misapplication of modal logic is not the same thing as saying there is no truth to the discipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.