Another Mass Shooting, Another Far Right White Supremacist Trump/MAGA/TuckerCarlson Supporter

This Charming Manc

A decent point, I made it halfway through the video.

However, when compared to mature western democracies, you are well out there.

If Americans wish to compare themselves with central American countries, with an unstable government, rampant poverty, endemic crime, and failing criminal justice systems yes it is doing fine.

However, id put America in a similar class of countries as German, UK, Australia, France, Japan and South Korea. When compared to its peers America does very badly in this regard.

Crime and homicide are complex issues much more complex than guns/no guns being the only factor. However to my mind failing to acknowledge and act on one factor that would have a significant impact on the safety of citizens, whilst also looking to address the others seems shortsighted at best.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
I'm predicting that some moron will accuse the right of being hypocrites because they claim to care about the child with regard to abortion but they don't care about school children being slaughtered
This might be the single biggest reason I think "pro-life" was a rhetorical mistake. "Anti-abort" might be uglier but it's less of a rhetorical minefield, especially as regards guns and gun rights. It's also just more precise.

"Pro-life" means pro-death, when a murderer is trying to murder you and you can't do anything to stop it except by killing the murderer. That's obviously pro-death, but it's pro-life, because it's self-defense, and self-defense is pro-life, which means pro-life is sometimes pro-death.

This Charming Manc

Thank you for your concern about the problems that I have in MY country with MY government's policies, with MY country's various cultures and practices. We'll sort this out as we always do and struggle on to remain the greatest country in the world despite the efforts of leaders in this country that hate us and whose hatred of us has spread to like-minded people across the world. And in our spare time, if we decide to we may give your crappy little corner of the globe a thought. Or not.

Yes it's horrible that 18 small children were murdered yesterday. It's the most horrible thing in the world and it's the only thing we should talk about, because nobody gives a crap that EVERY SINGLE DAY 4500 CHILDREN STARVE TO DEATH IN INDIA.

They don't matter. The only thing that matters is the political hay that can be made from this tragedy.

Oh my. My voice activated software bounced between strategy and tragedy. The ghost of Alinsky lives in my handheld device. 😂
I think we're all agreed we should do what we can about child poverty in the developing world and good news is much has been done in my lifetime, and continues to be done.

Yes you are right that we pay too much attention to things in the west, and not enough in the two-thirds world. Why? the media, because we relate better to people who look like us and speak our language and have a culture similar to ours. But our countries are closely linked via ties of language, culture, history and policy. Is it evil or wrong to do so? no, is it flawed? probably .

But both my kids are American citizens, and will probably spend some time living in the US, so I want them to be as safe as they can be :).

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
This might be the single biggest reason I think "pro-life" was a rhetorical mistake. "Anti-abort" might be uglier but it's less of a rhetorical minefield, especially as regards guns and gun rights. It's also just more precise.

"Pro-life" means pro-death, when a murderer is trying to murder you and you can't do anything to stop it except by killing the murderer. That's obviously pro-death, but it's pro-life, because it's self-defense, and self-defense is pro-life, which means pro-life is sometimes pro-death.
I prefer "anti-murdering children"

This Charming Manc

then I would suggest that they should take some self-defense classes and get a concealed carry permit

The first is sorted ( its good fitness to ), the 2nd well all the research i've done and personal experience suggests owning a gun makes you no safer.

I had an incident in South Africa where some wonderful gentleman pointed a gun at me and pulled the trigger, but for the grace of God I wouldn't be here now. At no point in that incident would I have pulled the gun and started shooting till it was too late. If I had it would have started a protracted fire fight with six individuals with a female friend and two small children in the car with me.

20/20 hindsight I should have turned the car around and buggered off the other way 100m before. Having a gun would have been useless if not more dangerous.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I have always used the term anti-abortion because it more accurately defines my opposition to abortion and support of the DP.

This Charming Manc

I'm happy with a consistent pro-life position. If we love life with love all life. I'm happy to let God be the judge and it's my job to be a vehicle of grace to all.

ok doser

The first is sorted ( its good fitness to ), the 2nd well all the research i've done and personal experience suggests owning a gun makes you no safer.

I had an incident in South Africa where some wonderful gentleman pointed a gun at me and pulled the trigger, but for the grace of God I wouldn't be here now. At no point in that incident would I have pulled the gun and started shooting till it was too late. If I had it would have started a protracted fire fight with six individuals with a female friend and two small children in the car with me.

20/20 hindsight I should have turned the car around and buggered off the other way 100m before. Having a gun would have been useless if not more dangerous.
I don't carry a gun because I anticipate getting into a gunfight. I carry a gun because I anticipate being confronted by some idiot who wants to start a knife fight.

I carry pepper spray too. But it is not without its drawbacks.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm happy with a consistent pro-life position. If we love life with love all life. I'm happy to let God be the judge and it's my job to be a vehicle of grace to all.

IMO, pro life is more of a pacifist term that means opposition to killing … anyone.

This Charming Manc

I don't carry a gun because I anticipate getting into a gunfight. I carry a gun because I anticipate being confronted by some idiot who wants to start a knife fight.

The issue is the same law that gives you a gun to protect yourself, guarantees that idiots going to have a gun too.

I prefer my odds against an idiot with knife compared to an idiot with a gun.

ok doser

The issue is the same law that gives you a gun to protect yourself, guarantees that idiots going to have a gun too.
If I think I'm going to be confronted by an idiot that's going to have a gun too, that's why I carry a hammerless snub nose and practice shooting without drawing.
I prefer to avoid idiots all together.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

IMO, there needs to be a lot more regulation. Teachers and school personal have to go through background checks as do law enforcement prior to being hired but almost any violent nutter can get a gun.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I made it halfway through the video.

You missed the takeaway: "It's not the guns, it's the people holding the guns."

When compared to mature western democracies, you are well out there.
"Me"? I'm a Kiwi living in Taiwan.

If Americans wish to compare themselves with central American countries, with an unstable government, rampant poverty, endemic crime, and failing criminal justice systems yes it is doing fine.

I think you need to actually watch the vid.

However, id put America in a similar class of countries as German, UK, Australia, France, Japan and South Korea. When compared to its peers America does very badly in this regard.
I think you need to actually watch the vid.

Crime and homicide are complex issues much more complex than guns/no guns being the only factor.

So why do you reduce it to that?

However to my mind failing to acknowledge and act on one factor that would have a significant impact on the safety of citizens, whilst also looking to address the others seems shortsighted at best.
The data say otherwise.

And speaking of being shortsighted, banning guns has consequences.

Why do liberals always react to evil by capping freedom?

ok doser

id put America in a similar class of countries as German, UK, Australia, France, Japan and South Korea.
How much ethnic diversity exists in Japan and South Korea? Any at all?
Do any of them compare in terms of ethnic diversity to the United States at all?

How do any single one of those other countries compared to the US in terms of population? They are tiny. In terms of size we compare much more favorably with the two giant countries that are bigger than us.

How do any of those countries compare to us in terms of legal immigration? How about illegal immigration?

how do those countries compare to us in terms of single parent households?

how do those countries compare to us in terms of equal gender representation among teachers of primary and secondary school age children?

You look at two variables (Western countries and gun policy) and ignore hundreds of others

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

Bob Enyart called himself "anti-choice."