An Alternative to Arminianism and Calvinism

Samie

You're the one who needs to try again. I didn't say people do bad things, I said that they do good things.
Really? You did not say people do bad things? How about this, Clete?:
. . .

Evil people do things all the time, Samie! They do good things, bad things, indifferent things - all sorts of things all day long, every single day. . . .

Resting in Him,
Clete
Caught with hands in the cookie jar?

And you are on the cutting edge of finding yourself on my ignore list. The next time you say something condescending to me without having even read my post, that's we're you'll be.
Of course. That's your only recourse for a better way out. And a better excuse, too, than throw in the towel. Why wait for the obvious to come?

And finally, as I predicted, . . .
Weather forecaster or a prophet, or both?

. . . there is NOTHING I or ANYONE could ever say to make you think anything other than what you think!
There's one you've forgotten that could change my view: the plain words of the Bible. But so far, the Bible agrees with what I say.

There is NOTHING WHATSOEVER that I can say that will move you one inch off believing that I've contradicted Jesus.
No need for you to say anything. It's clear as noonday that you've contradicted Him. Jesus said "apart from me, man can do NOTHING"; you said apart from Christ, man can do SOMETHING.
Facts be damned! God Himself could not convince you with words.
You have not given facts. Your words are not facts. God's words in Scriptures have convinced me that apart from Christ man can do NOTHING. Those same words FAILED to convince you, Clete. You insist man can do SOMETHING apart from Christ.

If I've contradicted what Jesus was actually teaching (which I haven't) . . .
Really? Jesus said " man can do NOTHING"; you insist "man can do SOMETHING". And still you're not contradicting Him?
then Jesus is a liar and the whole of Christianity is false.
OMG! Simply because you contradicted Jesus, Jesus became a liar? Good heavens!!! Whatta mouth!!!
That's how big a deal this is, Samie.
Then explain how you did not contradict Jesus. Your denial is not an explanation.
But I will spent not one more second trying to talk you away from your proof texts. It is a waste of time. If that's all your interested in doing just say so now and I'll leave you to your grade school games.

Resting in Him,
Clete
You're flattering Samie by identifying him with the babes in grade school, Clete:
KJV Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Good bye Samie!

You're an intellectually dishonest waste of my time.

Believe what you want. It doens't matter if it makes sense or whether you believe in a god who is just.

:wave2:

Samie

Good bye Samie!

You're an intellectually dishonest waste of my time.

Believe what you want. It doens't matter if it makes sense or whether you believe in a god who is just.

:wave2:
Thanks for your time, Clete. I enjoyed discussing with you.

Hope you soon realize that God through Christ empowered man first BEFORE man can do ANYTHING, for Christ has said that apart from Him, man can do NOTHING.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Thanks for your time, Clete. I enjoyed discussing with you.

Hope you soon realize that God through Christ empowered man first BEFORE man can do ANYTHING, for Christ has said that apart from Him, man can do NOTHING.

I didn't enjoy it at all and I hope you realize that you can't eat your cake and have it too.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Since you want to proof text, here's 97 verses the prove (according to your own standard) that Open Theism is true (and therefore that your doctrine is silly)...

1. God worked in six day-divided time spans, but rested on the seventh day (Gen 2:1-2)
2. God brought the animals before Adam to see what he would call them. (Gen 2:19)
3. God is uncertain whether they will eat of the Tree of Life after the fall. (Gen 3:22)
4. God repents that he made man. (Gen 6:6)
5. God must patiently wait while the ark is being built (1 Pet 3:20)
6. Satan is willing to wager with God over how the future will turn out. (Job 1:11-12)
7. Abraham challenges God over his promise, and lives! (Gen 15:2-3, 6)
8. God is prevailed upon by Abraham over whether to spare Sodom. (Gen 18:23-33)
9. The angels of God argue with Lot about sleeping in the square (Gen 19:2-4)
10. God learns that Abraham would go to not withhold even his son (Gen 22:12)
11. God is moved by the cries of injustice (Ex. 2:23-25)
12. God agrees with Moses that a backup plan should be prepared. (Ex. 4:1-9)
13. God promised those in the Exodus would reach the promise land, but they don’t. (Deut. 1:8; 1:34)
14. God is uncertain how Israel will react when they see war. (Ex 13:17)
15. God tells Moses He will destroy Israel, but does not. (Ex 32:7-10; Deut 10:10)
16. God tells Moses He will not lead them, but He does (Ex. 33:3-19)
17. God wants to destroy Israel again, but is talked out of it (Num 14:11-12)
18. God sets both a curse and a blessing for Israel to choose. (Deut. 11:26-28)
19. God has faith in the people, that they can do it. (Deut 30:11)
20. God gives the choice of life and death. (Deut. 30:19)
21. God repents when his sets up people that lead others astray. (Deut. 32:36)
22. God promises to drive out the Canaanites, but doesn’t (Josh 3:10; Judg 2:1-3; 3:1-7)
23. Joshua charges that we can choose between good and evil. (Joshua 24:15)
24. God changes His mind about establishing Eli and his sons forever. (1 Sam 2:30)
25. God gives Israel a king before He had planned to. (1 Sam 7:7-8)
26. God had planned to establish Saul forever, but will not. (1 Sam 13:13-14)
27. God repents over making Saul king. (1 Sam 15:10)
28. David believes God can change His mind. (2 Sam 12:21-23)
29. God’s mercy stopped the punishment from completing what He said. (2 Sam 24:16; 2 Chr 21:15)
30. Elijah claims they had two options to choose from. (1 Kings 18:21)
31. God is not always in the wind, fire, and earthquakes. (1 Kings 19:12)
32. God is full of compassion. (Ps 78:38-40)
33. God is limited by man’s decisions (Ps 78:41)
34. God desires new songs (Ps 33:3; 96:1; 98:1; 144:9; 149:1).
35. Heed my rebuke demands God, or else (Prov 1:22-27).
36. The span of your life is alterable (Prov. 9:11)
37. Solomon lists chance as a factor in life. (Ecc 9:11)
38. God tells Hezekiah that he will die, then adds years to his life. (2 Kings 20:1-6)
39. God expected His work towards Israel would not be in vain. (Isa 5:1-5)
40. God’s desire is to be allowed to forget our sins. (Isa 43:25).
41. God declares the future, rather than knowing it. (Isa 46:9-11)
42. It is not God that keeps men from being saved. (Isa 59:1)
43. The people were able to grieve the Holy Spirit. (Isa. 63:10)
44. God predicted Israel would repent, but admits He was wrong. (Jer 3:7-10)
45. Ordaining the sacrificing of children never entered God’s mind (Jer 7:31; 19:5; 32:35)
46. God gets tired of repenting. (Jer 15:6)
47. God promises to repent of what He thought to destroy a repenting people. (Jer 18:7-8)
48. God promises to repent of what He says to promote a backslidden people. (Jer 18:9-10)
49. God is uncertain if the people will repent if they hear his message. (Jer 26:2-3)
50. God is uncertain if the people will repent from a written message. (Jer 36:2-3)
51. God does not willingly bring grief on men. (Lam 3:33)
52. God despises the fatalistic viewpoint. (Eze 18:2)
53. God predicts Babylon will take Tyre, but they do not. (Eze 26:7; 29:18)
54. God predicts Babylon will destroy Egypt, but they do not (Eze 30:10)
55. What God wants, is for the wicked to turn from their ways. (Eze 33:11)
56. God becomes heartbroken. (Hosea 11:8-9)
57. God sends a drought to influence his people without success (Amos 4:6-11)
58. Nineveh repents and God refuses to fulfill His prophecy. (Jonah 3:10)
59. Jesus became flesh, who had never been so previously. (John 1:14)
60. The will of men and the will of God need to coincide. (John 7:17)
61. Some people are just born blind. (John 9:1-4)
62. Man has a choice, and God wants him to choose to abide in Him. (John 15:6-7)
63. Jesus is amazed at the unbelief of Israel. (Mark 6:6)
64. Jesus is marveled at the belief of Gentiles (Luke 7:9)
65. The Pharisees and lawyers rejected the will of God. (Luke 7:30)
66. They could have believed if Satan hadn’t interfered. (Luke 8:12)
67. Jesus teaches about chance meetings. (Luke 10:31)
68. Bad things happen without a reason. (Luke 13:2-5)
69. God wants to destroy Israel, but Jesus convinces God to wait-and-see. (Luke 13:6-9)
70. Woe! Men are responsible for their own actions. (Luke 17:1)
71. Perhaps they will respect the master’s son, says the master. (Luke 20:13)
72. Jesus asks people to come to him. (Matt 11:28).
73. Jesus predicts the last days will not last as long as prophesied. (Matt 24:22)
74. Jesus predicts he will return in His follower’s lifetime. (Mat 24:33-34; 16:28; 10:23; 23:31-36)
75. Jesus says he wanted Israel to rally to him, but they weren’t willing. (Mat 23:37)
76. Jesus left Godliness to become sin and to experience death, for us. (Phil 2:8; Heb 12:12-20)
77. The Father, for the first time, forsakes the Son. (Mat 27:46)
78. The Holy Spirit announces the start of the Last Days that never come. (Acts 2:14-20)
79. People can resist the Holy Spirit in their lives (Acts 7:51)
80. Paul advises to prevent prophecy from happening. (Acts 13:40-41; Hab 1:5)
81. Faith comes from things that men do – namely hearing and reading. (Rom 10:17)
82. God may return to Israel if the Gentiles abuse their position. (Rom 11:20-24)
83. Love is more important to God than a prophecy. (1 Cor 13:1-13)
84. Your prize is not decreed, but is based on how you run. (1 Cor . 9:24)
85. God changes His mind about keeping the Sabbaths. (Col 2:16)
86. God wants all to be saved. (1 Tim. 2:3)
87. God’s will is that men abstain from sexual immorality. (1 Thess 4:3)
88. Jesus must wait for his enemies to become His footstool. (Heb 10:12-13)
89. God does not pick one person over another (Gal 2:6)
90. If you do these things, your election will be made sure. (2 Peter 1:10)
91. The Holy Spirit counsels everyone to decide to come to Christ. (2 Peter 3:9)
92. Temptation originates apart from God’s decree but from our own will. (James 1:13-15)
93. God very strongly desires that we follow Him and not the world. (James4:5)
94. There is time in heaven. (Rev. 8:1; 6:10; 22:2)
95. The water of life is offered to whoever wills. (Rev 22:17)
96. God gave a test "to see" if Israel would follow the law or not (Exodus 16:4)
97. It never entered God's mind that people would sacrifice their own children to an idol. (Jeremiah 32:35)

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. Thanks goes to ApologeticJedi for compiling most (all but the last two) this list back in '07

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
And to contrast the difference between proof texting and making an actual argument, here's what a real biblical ARGUMENT looks like...

Incidentally, this biblical proof also destroys your childish quasi-Calvinist doctrine!

Here is a biblical PROOF that GOD IS IN TIME and experiences change in sequence:

In the "eternal state" before the foundation of the world God the Son was not also the SON OF MAN; then He "became" flesh as "the Son of Man" and so the Son remains eternally "the Man Jesus Christ" (1 Tim 2:5).
Many theologians reject this proof that God is in time. Why? They claim that their historical-grammatical hermeneutic, that is, their primary method of interpretation, proves that God is not in time. So let's look at the relationship of God and time.

When Reading in "the Greek" about God and Time, We See that God is:

- timeless,
- in an eternal now,
- not was nor will be but is, and
- has no past
- has no future.

Of course NOT ONE of these phrases are in the Bible. They're from Plato. And they're uncritically repeated by Christians in various systematic theology textbooks.

By "the Greek" there, I meant pagan Greek philosophy (and pagan Hinduism, etc.). In contrast, the Bible's Hebrew and Greek terms are TOTALLY different. They all speak of God existing through unending duration and everlasting amounts of time. The above terms are foreign to the student of God's Word, whereas the Bible's terms are all so very familiar from our Scripture reading. Even though typically translated by those who claim that God is outside of time, yet still, the Bible's many descriptions present God as existing in a never-ending sequence of time.

When Reading Your Bible about God and Time, We See that God is:

Everlasting - From of old - Before ever He had formed the earth - The Ancient of Days - Before the world was - From before the ages of the ages - From ancient times - He continues forever - Immortal - Remains forever - Forever and ever - God’s years - manifest in His own time - God who is - Alive forevermore - Who was - Who is to come - Always lives - Forever - In the age to come - Continually - God’s years never end - From everlasting to everlasting - From that time forward, even forever - And of His kingdom there will be no end.

Of course ALL THESE are verbatim quotes from Scripture and NOT ONE MEANS TIMELESSNESS. The scores of passages represented from these phrases teach the opposite of pagan Plato's claim that God has "no past" and "no future." Open Theism claims that the future is open (and not settled) because God is free and eternally creative and will always have new thoughts. The Settled View claims that the future is utterly and exhaustively settled and its advocates includes all Calvinist and Arminian theologians. These Settled View adherents interpret ALL scripture about God and time as a FIGURE OF SPEECH. But they take Plato literally. Why?
The human philosophy of the pagan Greeks (which Augustine admited that he adapted to Christian theology), assumes that God exists outside of time, something the language of Scripture could easily present if that were God's intention.

The Above Proof By Proof Texts: Let's demonstrate the above proof again this time using only Bible excerpts. Those who claim that God is outside of time also frequently use the unbiblical phrase, "the eternal state." Actually, every moment is in the eternal state, including those moments before creation, all those since, and including those that will follow the New Creation. The following purely scriptural phrases show that in the "eternal state," WHO GOD WAS in eternity past differs from WHO GOD IS now and in eternity future. The differences do not include anythink like an abandonment of His fundamental attributes (which are that He is Living, Personal, Relational, Good, and Loving), but rather, they are divine expressions of these attributes. For:

"The Father… is Spirit" and "invisible," "from of old… from everlasting," just "like the Son of God," who "loved [the Son] before the foundation of the world." Yet "God was manifested in the flesh" for "the Word BECAME flesh," having "partaken of flesh and blood," and "coming in the likeness of men" "to be made like His brethren." So "He is the SON OF MAN," "from the seed of David," "Jesus Christ… the Son of Abraham." And "this MAN, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God." And "He ever lives to make intercession," for "the Mediator between God and men" is "the MAN Christ Jesus." So "God… will judge the world… by the MAN whom He has ordained," and "in the regeneration… the SON OF MAN sits on the throne of His glory."

The second person of the Trinity, God the Son, was not OF MAN through eternity past. Neither David, nor Adam, nor any of us, were necessary for God to be God. But the second person of the Trinity is now Jesus, the SON OF MAN. But willing to trade away God's freedom, holiness, and a thousand literal Bible verses, many theologians will sacrifice the greatest truths of Scripture for Platonic immutability. (Some Christians even say that they would reject Christ if God had actual freedom.) As we've seen in the "comment thread" to Bob Enyart's Open Theism Debate with the president of The North American Reformed Seminary, a reader responding to our own BEL producer Will Duffy, wrote:

"Jesus Christ is God and man, he is both, he has eternally existed as both."
Christians desperate to win an argument that God is outside of time will even flirt with the unbiblical claim that God the Son was always a man, from eternity past. However, regarding the extension of humanity onto God the Son Himself through the incarnation, there is a divine chronological order. For:

"...the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. The first man was of the earth… the second Man is the Lord from heaven." 1 Cor. 15:46

But theologians committed to the Settled View handle this verse like they do a thousand others. They turn it into a figure of speech meaning the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the passage naturally states. If they were correct in this, then of course Christians could we can safely ignore the evident teaching of this and many other such passages. But in truth, Jesus was the Son of God from eternity past, and He became forever the Son of Man only at the Incarnation. For remember that writing in Genesis Moses introduced Melchizedek without parents making it appear that He had no beginning, "like the Son of God" (Heb. 7:3).

The Son of Man: As men, we probably would never pick the same title for Jesus as is His favorite title for Himself, "the Son of Man." That title seems almost common to us, because we are all sons of man. But He took that title for Himself after much humbling and lowering and emptying of Himself. That title, the Son of Man, is precious to Him because it cost Him so much. But many theologians reject that the Incarnation shows change in God, as demonstrated in the TNARS Open Theism debate (mentioned above). In defending their position, such theologians claim that Open Theists confuse Christ's humanity with His divinity. However, there are not four persons of the trinity, as is implied by such objections. His humanity did not become human. It is the eternal God the Son who became flesh.

To defend Platonic utter immutability those who hold the Settled View will deny that God has the freedom even to think new thoughts. So what do they get in trade for God's freedom? They can claim that before the criminal was ever born, God decided how often to rape that child and how filthy each time would be, "all for His glory and pleasure" including the rapist being beat to death in prison. The fact that God says, "I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked" (Ezek. 33:11) is irrelevant because it's all a double figure of speech meaning the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the text says, as we can see from the sad reality that many theologians believe that God did ordain the rape, and the beating death, "for His pleasure." And they even claim that God is impassible, that is, that He can have no emotion or passion, for in contrast to a hundred verses in Scripture, John Calvin wrote that God is, "incapable of every feeling." So when God says He has no pleasure in the death of the wicked, they claim really that He can have NO pleasure whatsoever. Yes, God's ways are higher than our ways. But they're not lower. He doesn't take pleasure from adultery.

When pressed, as in the above debate, many theologians will admit that Sovereignty is NOT an eternal attribute of God. That is a valid position, for otherwise, God's very existence would be dependent upon the creation. Just as Adam is not necessary for God to be God (as he would have been if the Son of God were also the Son of Man, eternally) so too if the quantitative attribute of exhaustive foreknowledge is required for God to be God, then the one reading this sentence at this very moment would also be a necessary prerequisite for God to be God, for God could not then exist apart from each and every one of us being and doing and thinking everything in fact that we've been and done and thought. For if our existence is necessary in His mind eternally for Him to be God, then in a fundamental way we are also eternally necessary for God's very existence, and He then could not be God without me. This is a twisted theological perversion. Such notions diminish God. And they bring the Christian into absurdities like praying to change the past. After all, if God is outside of time, then there is no difference to God in prayers for the future and those for the past, in praying for those living today and for those who died yesterday. Christians find themselves battling the same absurdities as time traveling science fiction characters. Coming back to reality though, even in sovereignty we see God changing. For in eternity past He was not sovereign. Yet after He returns "in His own time" as "the King of kings" (1 Tim. 6:15) He will reign Sovereign in His kingdom that will never end (Isaiah 9:7).

Bad Translations: "Before time began" (2 Tim. 1:9 & Titus 1:2) is widely quoted yet in the Greek text of the New Testament there is no verb "began" in the orginal language. And the singular word "time" does not appear. Instead, Paul wrote, "before the times of the ages," which is very different from the way many of our Bible versions render this phrase, which translations do not flow from the grammar but from on the translators' commitment to Greek philosophy.

- "Time shall be no more" (Rev. 10:6; hymns) is corrected even by Calvinist translators in virtually all modern versions as is also made overtly clear from the text and the context, "There will be no more delay!"
- "The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" at Revelation 13:8 can be corrected (as at the NIV footnote) by cross-referencing the passage with Revelation 17:8. For the bible teaches that "only those written in the Lamb's Book of Life" (Rev. 21:27) shall have be saved, and that God could save Old Testament believers because He looked forward to the cross, and He can save believers now because He looks backward to the cross. So in the Old Testament God looked forward and in the last two millenia He looks backward to that wonderful and yet terrible time. However, if Christ had been slain previously, before the foundation of the world, then there would have been no need for the righteous dead to wait in Abraham's Bosom "until the death of the one who is high priest in those days" (symbolizing Christ). The parallel passage at Revelation 17:8 shows that the qualifier does not apply to the slaying of Christ but to the wicked, "whose names were not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world." This means that these evil men were not believers who had fallen away, but that their names were NEVER written in the book. (See a similar construct in Jeremiah 2:32.) Revelation 13:8 can even be seen as giving the title and sub-title of The Book of Life – Of the Lamb Slain.

There is Time in Heaven: When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about HALF AN HOUR (Rev. 8:1).

- When He opened the fifth seal [martyrs in heaven said]: "HOW LONG, O Lord… until You… avenge our blood…" (Rev. 6:9; 11:17-18).
- …the tree of life… bore twelve fruits [a different one] EVERY MONTH (Rev. 22:2).

- But this Man, AFTER He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down… FROM THAT TIME WAITING TILL His enemies are [defeated] (Heb. 10:12-13).

- [God will not punish demons] "before [their] time" (Mat. 8:29).
If the TRUE perspective is God's ETERNAL NOW, then David is now killing Bathsheba’s husband, each believer is still in his sin, and the Father is right now pouring out wrath on His Son, right now. But this is false for Hebrews says that Jesus suffered "once for all."

Neither men nor angles can be omnipresent, even in heaven, for they would thereby have to be divine. The same limitation would apply with timelessness. If God existed outside of time the angels before His throne ("who do not rest… saying, 'Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come'") and the men ministering to Him forever would also have to be timeless, which would mean that they were divine also. And Jesus said we shall receive much "in this present time, and in the age to come eternal life" (Luke 18:30), and as for things that can happen, as He said in a parable, some things happen "by chance" (Luke 10:31). And "In the beginning" does not mean in the beginning of time, for that's Augustine's interpretation based on Plato, but we have the Lord's interpretation based on Mark, for as Jesus said, the phrase means in "the beginning OF CREATION" (Mk. 10:6; Mat. 19:4).

God did many things before creation (John 17:24, 5; Rom. 8:29; 1 Pet. 1:20; Eph. 1:4) and His children shall "endure forever" (Ps. 39:36) enjoying God eternally through an "everlasting covenant" (Gen. 17:7), "established forever." So the Bible teaches that God is in time. And a foundation of the Settled View is seen to be heavily based on human philosophy and contradicted by the entirety of the relevant biblical material.

By Bob Enyart, KGOV.com &
Pastor, Denver Bible Church

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
And since Samie seems hung up on Total Depravity, lets kick that leg out from under him as well with another excellent example of a real argument (i.e. not proof texting)...

The following in the complete text of an article posted on another website. It is not my intention to endorse the other website or even advertise for it. I give a link to it only so as to give credit to the author...

Three Arguments Against Total Depravity

February 6th, 2014 by Matt Elton

Total depravity is the first of the five points of Calvinism. Paul Washer defines total depravity as the doctrine that “fallen man is unable is to love, obey or please God.” Total depravity teaches that an unsaved man is completely incapable of loving or obeying God. It is also known as total inability.

Paul writes that without Christ we are “slaves to sin” (Romans 6:20) and “dead in trespasses and sins” (Ephesians 2:1). The Bible certainly teaches that human beings are depraved – we inherit a sinful nature that tempts us to do evil. We have all committed sin and therefore stand guilty before God, deserving of death (Romans 6:23). “There are none righteous, no, not one” (Romans 3:10). Without Christ, we are depraved sinners in need of a savior. But Calvinism takes this to such an extreme as to say that human beings utterly incapable of believing in, obeying, or pleasing God. By doing so, Calvinists remove free will from the equation. If we are not capable of making a free will decision to follow Christ, salvation cannot be on athe basis of free will, and must instead be on the basis of God choosing who is and is not save

Total depravity is the foundation upon which the five points of Calvinism (TULIP) stand. In Calvinism, unconditional election (the doctrine that God predetermined who will and will not be saved) and irresistible grace (the doctrine that God chooses who will be saved and man is not able to resist or exercise any choice in the matter) are only necessary because of total depravity – man is completely incapable of choosing God, therefore God must do everything for man. These views inevitably lead to the doctrine of limited atonement, the view that Christ did not die for the sins of the world (despite 1 Jon 2:2), but only the sins of the “elect,” those predetermined by God to be saved.

Remove total depravity from the picture and the whole structure of Calvinism collapses. If man is capable of choosing God, salvation does not need to be predetermined by God, and can be on the basis of our free will decision to believe in Jesus Christ (Romans 10:9-10).

Unfortunately many Protestants take the doctrine for granted and fail to examine it critically. Here are three arguments against the doctrine of total depravity.

Argument #1: Total Depravity is a New Doctrine Based on Old Gnosticism

The doctrine of total depravity developed about 500 years ago. None of the church fathers believed in it – they all strongly affirmed that man has the power to choose good or evil. Here are a few quotations from second century church fathers:

“Let some suppose, from what has been said by us, that we say that whatever occurs happens by a fatal necessity, because it is foretold as known beforehand, this too we explain. We have learned from the prophets, and we hold it to be true, that punishments, chastisements, and good rewards, are rendered according to the merit of each man’s actions. Now, if this is not so, but all things happen by fate, then neither is anything at all in our own power. For if it is predetermined that this man will be good, and this other man will be evil, neither is the first one meritorious nor the latter man to be blamed. And again, unless the human race has the power of avoiding evil and choosing good by free choice, they are not accountable for their actions.” -Justin Martyr (100-165 A.D.)

“We were not created to die. Rather, we die by our own fault. Our free will has destroyed us. We who were free have become slaves. We have been sold through sin. Nothing evil has been created by God. We ourselves have manifested wickedness. But we, who have manifested it, are able again to reject it.” -Tatian (120-180 A.D.)

“There is, therefore, nothing to hinder you from changing your evil manner to life, because you are a free man” -Melito (2nd century)

“But man, being endowed with reason, and in this respect similar to God, having been made free in his will, and with power over himself, is himself his own cause that sometimes he becomes wheat, and sometimes chaff.” -Ireneus (130-202 A.D.)

“I find, then, that man was constituted free by God. He was master of his own will and power…For a law would not be imposed upon one who did not have it in his power to render that obedience which is due to law. Nor again, would the penalty of death be threatened against sin, if a contempt of the law were impossible to man in the liberty of his will…Man is free, with a will either for obedience or resistance.” -Tertullian (160-225 A.D.)​

Calvinists rely solely on their interpretation of Paul’s writings to provide biblical support for total depravity. If Paul actually taught total depravity, why did Paul’s own disciples and those who came shortly after him strongly deny the doctrine?

There is no question that Paul teaches the depravity of fallen man. We are “dead” (guilty, deserving of death, as good as dead) in our sins. We are “slaves to sin” (it is the natural inclination of our flesh). There is no question that we have a sinful nature – the issue is whether or not it makes us completely incapable of loving God or obeying His will. All of the early church fathers agree that man has the ability within himself to obey and love God.

“The Christian church in the 2nd century AD had nothing resembling the doctrine of original sin as many post-Reformation Christians know it today. The Apostolic Fathers had little to say on the subject… Only Barnabas of the Apostolic Fathers references the Fall, and he believed that children were born sinless. The authors of this early period believed universally that children were born innocent of the sin of Adam, that people incur guilt only for their own sins, and that every person has the God-given power of free will to do good or evil…. These early Christians actually understood the original Christian message well, but many modern scholars misunderstand it due to the widespread influence of post-Reformation theology. The Apostolic Fathers believed they followed the teachings of St. Paul and the Apostles closely, as many of their writings explain. Furthermore, they had a much better prospect of correctly understanding the original Christian teaching, as they had been taught by the Apostles or by those that followed them, wrote in the same language and had a very similar culture. There is no reason to believe that the Apostolic Fathers failed to understand Christianity, and many reasons to think they preserved faithfully the doctrines of the earliest Christians.” -Andrew J. Wallace and R.D. Rusk, Moral Transformation: The Original Christian Paradigm of Salvation, p. 255​

The only “church father” who believed anything close to total depravity is Augustine, though he did not develop the doctrine as far as Calvin did. Augustine is responsible for introducing the idea of original sin into the church, a doctrine that did not exist in orthodox Christianity before him, though it did exist in Gnoticism.

Augustine’s “original sin” theology is heavily influenced by Gnosticism. It is a sad irony that “original sin” theology became accepted in the western church (though not the eastern church) because it is the same doctrine taught by the Gnostics who earlier church fathers went to great lengths to counter. The Gnostics believed that our flesh is inherently evil, that we inherit total depravity from birth, and that we are sinners from birth simply because we possess depraved human flesh. They saw the spirit as good, but trapped inside a prison of evil flesh until freed by death.

Because Gnostics believed the material world to be inherently evil, they denied that Jesus Christ was truly human, possessing a real flesh and blood body, because this would mean that Christ possessed an inherently evil nature.

During the first and second centuries, Christians writers were constantly battling Gnosticism, which was condemned as a heresy. The Apostle John counters Gnosticism in his first epistle by emphasizing that Jesus Christ came “in the flesh” and that anyone who denies this is “antichrist.” We would do well to heed his warning!

“Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.” -1 John 4:3-4​

Argument #2: Christ’s Humanity Disproves Total Depravity

This is the biggest problem with total depravity, and one that has been pointed out by many scholars. It is sometimes called the problem of the incarnation. All orthodox Christians must affirm that Jesus Christ was fully human, otherwise he could not die for the sins of humanity (1 John 2:2) and could not be our mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5).

But if human beings are totally depraved by nature and sinful from birth, this means Jesus Christ was necessarily totally depraved and sinful. This is obviously not the case because scripture says Jesus Christ was sinless, or he could not be our sacrifice (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Calvinists will counter this by arguing that Jesus Christ is God, and therefore, although he became human at the incarnation, he did not share in our depravity.

There are two problems with this. First, scripture says that Jesus was “made like his brothers in every respect” (Hebrews 2:17 ESV). If Jesus was made like us in every way this would include sharing in our depravity.

The second problem with this view is that Jesus was tempted. This by itself proves that Jesus had the same human nature we do, because scripture says that temptation comes from “our own desires” which originate from our human nature (James 1:14).

Scripture is clear that the temptation of Jesus was not a meaningless charade, but was real, serious temptation. Scripture says he “in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin” (Hebrews 4:15 ESV).

If Jesus was tempted in the exact same way we are, this by itself disproves total depravity. If we are totally depraved, the only way for Jesus to be tempted in the same way that we are tempted is if he was also totally depraved. But this is clearly not the case because Jesus never sinned. Therefore, we cannot be totally depraved.

There are only two possible alternatives to this:

Jesus did sin.
Jesus was not fully human and/or was not tempted in the same way we are.

Both of these alternatives contradict scripture!

The humanity of Christ proves depravity, but disproves total depravity. The temptation of Christ proves depravity (he shared in our fallen human nature, otherwise he could not have been tempted). But the sinless life of Christ disproves total depravity (he never sinned, therefore depravity cannot be total).

No matter how one looks at it, total depravity is fundamentally at odds with the humanity of Jesus Christ. This should be reason enough for us to reject it as an acceptable doctrine!

Argument #3: Total Depravity Elevates Man by Excusing His Sin

Calvinists often describe total depravity as a “low view of man, high view of God.” However, when taken to its logical conclusion, total depravity actually elevates man by excusing his sin.

As we have seen, early church fathers like Justin Martyr and Tertullian argued against total depravity because they saw it as excusing man’s sin. In their view, Jesus would soon return to “repay each person according to what he has done” (Matthew 16:27). By necessity, this requires that human beings have the ability to choose good or choose evil. If we do not have this ability – if we are incapable of choosing good – then it logically follows that we cannot be justly held responsible for our evil. This is the reason why people can be found “not guilty on reasons of insanity” in the court of law. Without a meaningful free will ability to choose good or evil, one cannot be justly held responsible.

At the heart of the issue of total depravity is the question: What is sin?

The Calvinist view of sin is the same as that of the Gnostics. According to this view, sin is an invisible disease that is transmitted by birth. Human flesh totally depraved by its very nature, so everyone born in the flesh is already a sinner, even before do any actions. According to Calvinism, if a baby dies immediately after birth he goes straight to hell, even though he actually never did anything wrong in his short life!

Those views come straight out of Gnosticism. It was the Gnostics who believed that flesh is inherently evil and totally depraved. David, on the other hand says, “I am fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14).

God doesn’t make garbage. He doesn’t make depraved, demented beings who are incapable of loving Him. Why would He?

God only makes perfect things. God created us to be perfect, 100% valuable, 100% worthy of love. We are not born sinners. We choose to be sinners through our actions. We become guilty and deserving of death because we choose to be.

How sad and humbling is this truth! Every person who has ever come of age – with the exception of Jesus – has chosen sin. “There are none righteous, no, not one” (Romans 3:10).

The biblical view of sin is that sin is action. Sin is not a curse that spreads from one person to another against their will. Sin is not a disease we inherited against our will – if it were, we couldn’t be held responsible for it, we would be victims rather than perpetuators. The biblical view places the blame for sin on us, not on God. The Calvinist view teaches that God makes people evil with no ability to do good, and then punishes them for being that way!

I’m not denying that we inherit from Adam a sinful nature that desires sinful things. But the sinful nature is not the same as sin itself. Our sinful nature tempts us to sin, but we also have the free will ability to choose to resist that nature.

Sin is defined in scripture as a violation of God’s commandments. It has everything to do with free will. Paul writes that the Law reveals to us what sin is (Romans 7:7). The Law defines sin in terms of free will actions: “Thou shalt… thou shalt not…” We are “dead in trespasses and sins” for the simple reason that we’ve committed trespasses and sins. We’ve chosen sinful actions. As a result, we stand completely guilty before God, dead in sin, in desperate need of a savior.

We have to be careful about any theology that begins in response to another theology, because there is always a tendency to swing the pendulum to the complete opposite extreme. Luther developed a theology of salvation “by faith alone” in response to works-based theology, but took it to such an extreme that works played no role at all and he even wanted to remove the Book of James from the Bible.

Calvinism is a response to Pelagianism, a doctrine that emphasizes man’s ability to be righteous. John Calvin saw Pelagianism as infecting the Catholic church, and he considered it a man centered theology. Many of his criticisms were good, but he swung the pendulum to such an extreme as to say that salvation is entirely predetermined and carried out by God, and man does nothing because he is totally depraved and unable.

While I respect Calvinism’s desire to magnify God and humble man, when Calvinism is taken to its logical conclusion it actually backfires and ends up doing the opposite.

The biblical view of depravity is indeed a low view of man – we freely choose sin, so we have no one to blame but ourselves. But total depravity actually elevates man by taking the blame off of him. Saying, as Paul Washer does, that “fallen man is unable to love, obey or please God” takes the blame off of man and places it on the one who made man! The early church fathers recognized this, which is why they argued that man is not totally depraved and does have the ability to choose righteousness.

Instead of humbling me, the doctrine of total depravity causes me relief because it means my sins are not really my fault – God never gave me the ability to do otherwise. But the biblical view of depravity humbles me to the point of anguish. God created me to be perfect, but by my own free will I chose sin. I am to blame. How humbling is this truth!

Consider the opposite of total depravity. What if we are not totally incapable, but totally capable? Consider the implications. What if we are, in fact, 100% capable of total holiness and righteousness? This means that every man is able to live a perfectly sinless life if he simply chooses to… yet no one has ever done so (save Jesus)!

I think this is a much lower view of man, because it means we are literally without excuse. We have the ability to be sinless. We choose from our free will not to be.

I can’t pass the buck and say “I was totally depraved, it was my nature to sin, I was incapable of doing otherwise, God had to rescue me from my depraved state.” I can’t play the victim. That excuse doesn’t work if total depravity is false.

If total depravity is false, every person who ever lived had the ability to be perfectly sinless, yet out of literally billions of people, not even one person ever chose it, save Jesus. How humbling is that! How perfectly that fits with Romans 3!

Christ dying to save totally depraved people who are incapable of holiness demonstrates more pity than love. How much more love and grace did Christ demonstrate by dying to save people who had every ability to be perfect, but chose not to be? How much less do those people deserve God’s grace?

By being fully human and living a sinless life, Jesus puts us all to shame. He had the same human nature we have, yet he never sinned. He proves through his sinless life that we are truly without excuse.

Now that is a high view of God, and low view of man!

T down. ULIP to go.

Bociferous

I'll take a shot Samie,

The 5 Pillars of the Gospel – a better alternative to Arminianism and Calvinism.

1. Spiritual Empowerment
2. Unconditional Election of Adam’s Race
3. Perfect & Complete Redemption
4. Guidance of the Holy Spirit
5. Repentance & Overcoming

1. Spiritual Empowerment . Contingent upon the life, death and resurrection of Christ, all of Adam's race came to existence into this world spiritually alive, that is, born with the capability to do spiritual acts, given the opportunity to do so. Each one is given faith, for without faith it is impossible to please God.
I agree based on Jn 1:9 and common logic (all have moral capability which is a spiritual function; thus all are enlightened.

2. Unconditional Election of Adam’s Race. By God’s grace given us in Christ before time began, God chose all of Adam’s race and predestined them for adoption as children by Jesus Christ. God foreknew that man will fall into sin, and He implemented the plan of redemption right after man first fell into sin: Instead of Adam dying, an animal died that day Adam sinned, foreshadowing the death on the cross of the Lamb of God which takes away the sin of the world.
Again, agree....though to my thinking God foresaw the fall and the rescue of all from the fall would have been part of the plan from the beginning. Minor point. I am a believer in total depravity.

3. Perfect & Complete Redemption. On the cross, God fashioned all of Adam’s race into the body of His Son, creating a new man – Christ the Head, Adam’s race the Body. When the Head died, the Body died with Him, and Adam’s race was forgiven from all sins and reconciled to God. When the Head resurrected, the Body was made alive together with Him, born again into a living hope of life eternal. Attached to the Head, they all are heaven-bound UNLESS detached from the Body by Christ Himself.
I find the metaphoric element cumbersome [and I'm a staunch believer that salvation can only be properly understood in its allegoric sense!] but if I can properly reduce #3 into two parts:
A. The atonement covers all humans, and,
B. All are saved unless some set of circumstances occurs to 'detach' some...
Then I agree with A completely and with B with certain qualifications.

4. Guidance of the Holy Spirit. Throughout the lifetime of an individual, the Holy Spirit guides and coaches him, being part of the body, to live in accordance with the will of the Head. Attached to the Head Who is his life and strength, he has His Power to do what He wants Him to do. A person is free to decide whether to follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit or not. God through Christ will decide who followed the guidance of the Holy Spirit. They are the ones who in their lifetime persevered to overcome evil with good.
There's the 'head/body' thing again. It does appear you're taking the Calvinist view here. Is this correct?

5. Repentance & Overcoming. The call to repent is a call to overcome evil with good. Only overcomers will not be blotted out from the book of life where names of all were written from the foundation of the world. When Christ comes again to reward every man according to what each has done, those whose names remained written in the book of life will inherit life eternal; all others will be made to suffer the wrath of God, and finally, thrown into the lake of fire.
We're probably a bit further apart on this one. Christ's call to repentance includes an offer and exhortation to overcome evil, but I don't see the salvation of faith as dependent on overcoming all the evil in one's life else works rules the day. Read Rom 7 for example.

I agree that those blotted out of the book of life are headed into the lake of fire, but am pretty certain we have different views of what the outcome of all this is.

So...are you a Calvinist? You're right that your presentation doesn't land strictly on the side of Arminianism or Calvinism, but at the end of the day the above comes across as sort of a renegade Calvinist position. I like that you seem to formulate a view that lands somewhat outside the box.

Samie

I'll take a shot Samie,

I agree based on Jn 1:9 and common logic (all have moral capability which is a spiritual function; thus all are enlightened.

Again, agree....though to my thinking God foresaw the fall and the rescue of all from the fall would have been part of the plan from the beginning. Minor point. I am a believer in total depravity.

I find the metaphoric element cumbersome [and I'm a staunch believer that salvation can only be properly understood in its allegoric sense!] but if I can properly reduce #3 into two parts:
A. The atonement covers all humans, and,
B. All are saved unless some set of circumstances occurs to 'detach' some...
Then I agree with A completely and with B with certain qualifications.

There's the 'head/body' thing again. It does appear you're taking the Calvinist view here. Is this correct?

We're probably a bit further apart on this one. Christ's call to repentance includes an offer and exhortation to overcome evil, but I don't see the salvation of faith as dependent on overcoming all the evil in one's life else works rules the day. Read Rom 7 for example.

I agree that those blotted out of the book of life are headed into the lake of fire, but am pretty certain we have different views of what the outcome of all this is.

So...are you a Calvinist? You're right that your presentation doesn't land strictly on the side of Arminianism or Calvinism, but at the end of the day the above comes across as sort of a renegade Calvinist position. I like that you seem to formulate a view that lands somewhat outside the box.
Thanks, Bociferous.

First, I am not a Calvinist, nor a renegade one. Calvinists don't believe in blotting out of names from the book of life. I do. Calvinists doubt the existence of the book of life. I don't. Calvinists don't preach free-will. I do. Calvinists believe in a limited atonement. I don't. Calvinists steps hard on the accelerator down the floor when speaking about Total Depravity. I step hard on the accelerator down the floor when speaking about Total Spiritual Enlightenment.

Second, I am not an Arminian, as well. Arminians believe in a general but conditional atonement. I believe in a general, unconditional, unlimited and actual atonement.

And finally, what am I? I simply see myself as one of those who feel it their solemn responsibility to preach the gospel Jesus wanted preached. The world had been for centuries bombarded with both Arminian and Calvinist brands of gospel. I simply think it is high time to tell the world the gospel Jesus wanted preached to the world before He comes again (Matt 24:14). And maybe, just maybe, our Lord and Savior can then come to claim His own: those whose names remained written in the registry of heaven, the Book of Life.

Samie

Since you want to proof text, here's 97 verses the prove (according to your own standard) that Open Theism is true (and therefore that your doctrine is silly)...
. . .

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. Thanks goes to ApologeticJedi for compiling most (all but the last two) this list back in '07
Thanks for stopping by again, Clete.

Do you know what my silly doctrine is, brother? If Yes, then what is it?

Bociferous

I am not a Calvinist, nor a renegade one. Calvinists don't believe in blotting out of names from the book of life. I do. Calvinists doubt the existence of the book of life. I don't. Calvinists don't preach free-will. I do. Calvinists believe in a limited atonement. I don't. Calvinists steps hard on the accelerator down the floor when speaking about Total Depravity. I step hard on the accelerator down the floor when speaking about Total Spiritual Enlightenment.
Second, I am not an Arminian, as well. Arminians believe in a general but conditional atonement. I believe in a general, unconditional, unlimited and actual atonement.
I'm not sure what you mean about Arminian "general but conditional atonement". I've usually heard it argued that Arminians believe in a universal atonement (Christ died for all) that has a conditional outcome (choose Christ's offer of eternal life or not). If the terms "universal" and "general" are interchangeable then we're just using different words to state the same thing.

So you've taken concepts from both camps and pieced them together, some from each, to make a theological picture. What, in your theology, happens to those cast into the lake of fire?

Samie

. . .

So you've taken concepts from both camps and pieced them together, some from each, to make a theological picture.
No. I am not an academician. I am not trained in the seminaries. I learned my theology from my personal study of the Bible. I gained knowledge regarding Arminianism and Calvinism from web discussions, and that motivated me to read relevant documents from cyberspace. I have already pieced together my points of view gained from Scriptures a couple of years before coming across Arminianism and Calvinism.
What, in your theology, happens to those cast into the lake of fire?
I can only refer you back to Scriptures that tell us the lake of fire is the second death. And if death, then it annihilates all thrown into it.

Bociferous

I wasn't suggesting you were an academic Samie. We all have a personal theology. Some just buy wholesale into one traditional theology or another but many of us formulate our own from a variety of existing teachings.

I kind of suspected you were getting at some form of Annihilationism. Thanks for clarifying.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Thanks for stopping by again, Clete.

Do you know what my silly doctrine is, brother? If Yes, then what is it?

It is this rediculous nonsense that wants to cling to Calvinist premises and reject the logical conclusions that follow...

1. Spiritual Empowerment . Contingent upon the life, death and resurrection of Christ, all of Adam's race came to existence into this world spiritually alive, that is, born with the capability to do spiritual acts, given the opportunity to do so. Each one is given faith, for without faith it is impossible to please God.

2. Unconditional Election of Adam’s Race. By God’s grace given us in Christ before time began, God chose all of Adam’s race and predestined them for adoption as children by Jesus Christ. God foreknew that man will fall into sin, and He implemented the plan of redemption right after man first fell into sin: Instead of Adam dying, an animal died that day Adam sinned, foreshadowing the death on the cross of the Lamb of God which takes away the sin of the world.

3. Perfect & Complete Redemption. On the cross, God fashioned all of Adam’s race into the body of His Son, creating a new man – Christ the Head, Adam’s race the Body. When the Head died, the Body died with Him, and Adam’s race was forgiven from all sins and reconciled to God. When the Head resurrected, the Body was made alive together with Him, born again into a living hope of life eternal. Attached to the Head, they all are heaven-bound UNLESS detached from the Body by Christ Himself.

4. Guidance of the Holy Spirit. Throughout the lifetime of an individual, the Holy Spirit guides and coaches him, being part of the body, to live in accordance with the will of the Head. Attached to the Head Who is his life and strength, he has His Power to do what He wants Him to do. A person is free to decide whether to follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit or not. God through Christ will decide who followed the guidance of the Holy Spirit. They are the ones who in their lifetime persevered to overcome evil with good.

5. Repentance & Overcoming. The call to repent is a call to overcome evil with good. Only overcomers will not be blotted out from the book of life where names of all were written from the foundation of the world. When Christ comes again to reward every man according to what each has done, those whose names remained written in the book of life will inherit life eternal; all others will be made to suffer the wrath of God, and finally, thrown into the lake of fire.​

You just simply don't get to eat your cake and have it too! You can want to really really badly but it won't help! You bought every single premise upon which Calvinism is built (and you are thus a Calvinist whether you like the title or not) and you want really really badly to pretend that you can do that and not have to live with the consequences. Well the sand doesn't disappear just because your choose to bury your head in it.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Samie,

Calvinism (i.e. Reformed Augustinianism) is derived logically from the following premises...

1. God is immutable. (And they mean immutable!) God cannot change in anyway at all - period.
  2. Man is totally depraved. This is the first of the TULIP doctrines and for good reason.

There are actually others, most of which you accept as true as well, but for the purposes of this thread, those two will do.

Which of those two premises do you deny, if any?

And one further question...

Do men sin because they're sinful or are we sinful because we sin?

These are not trick questions, and this is not a trap. Don't be scared. Just answer honestly.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Samie

It is this rediculous nonsense that wants to cling to Calvinist premises and reject the logical conclusions that follow...

5. Repentance & Overcoming. The call to repent is a call to overcome evil with good. Only overcomers will not be blotted out from the book of life where names of all were written from the foundation of the world. When Christ comes again to reward every man according to what each has done, those whose names remained written in the book of life will inherit life eternal; all others will be made to suffer the wrath of God, and finally, thrown into the lake of fire.​

You just simply don't get to eat your cake and have it too! You can want to really really badly but it won't help! You bought every single premise upon which Calvinism is built (and you are thus a Calvinist whether you like the title or not) and you want really really badly to pretend that you can do that and not have to live with the consequences. Well the sand doesn't disappear just because your choose to bury your head in it.

Resting in Him,
Clete
Hi Clete. Welcome once again to my thread.

First, don't forget that I properly addressed the former issue we had here in this post and did not bury my head in the sand as you would like to make it appear now. That response caused you to retreat from discussing with me. You even waved good-bye, remember? I was thinking you're not coming back. But you did come back. And I welcome you.

Second, I want you to know again, that I am NOT a Calvinist. So if there is anything you have against Calvinism or the Calvinists, take it up with them. But you can ask me any question related to the OP and I will engage you in a healthy discussion.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hi Clete. Welcome once again to my thread.

First, don't forget that I properly addressed the former issue we had here in this post and did not bury my head in the sand as you would like to make it appear now.

You addressed nothing! As I have now proven, proof texting is not an argument. You haven't even acknowledge the issue, never mind addressed it. I'd be very much surprised to discover that you even understand the issue in the first place. In fact, I'm certain that you do not.

That response caused you to retreat from discussing with me. You even waved good-bye, remember? I was thinking you're not coming back. But you did come back. And I welcome you.
I reserve the right to change course. You seem new here. I figured I'd give the benefit of the doubt. It will prove to be a waste of time.

Second, I want you to know again, that I am NOT a Calvinist.
Look idiot! I understand that you don't call yourself a Calvinist! Good greif! Does every single point have to spelled out in the clearest detail with you? It's like talking to a third grader!

You are FOR ALL INTENT AND PURPOSES a Calvinist! You don't like it, but that doesn't change the facts of life! You have, whether you acknowledge it or not, accepted every major premise of the Calvinist theological worldview. You come to a lot of different conclusions but that's only because you fancy yourself smarter than John Calvin and Aurelius Augustinus Hipponensis and I can assure you that you are not! You buy the premise, you buy the conclusion or you have an irrational doctrine (as though Calvinism wasn't already irrational enough!). That's the way sound reason works.

So if there is anything you have against Calvinism or the Calvinists, take it up with them. But you can ask me any question related to the OP and I will engage you in a healthy discussion.
My problem is with YOUR doctrine as stated in the opening post. If you'll reread my first post in this thread, you'll find that I challenged you then on the PREMISES of your doctrine. Your response was to proof text me to death. If you want to engage in an actual, substantive debate then engaging the premises upon which your doctrine is based is the only basis upon which there is to proceed because you can turn any text in the bible into a pretext for a doctrine. Proof texting proves nothing! Jesus DID NOT teach your doctrine, no matter how many times you want to post your favorite verse.

If you don't want to engage the debate and are instead interested in spreading your childish stupidity you call a theology around, then just say so, or post anything in response to this post that smells even a little bit like proof-texting and you won't ever have to bother with responding to me on this thread again.

Now, will you answer my questions or not?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
You addressed nothing! As I have now proven, proof texting is not an argument. You haven't even acknowledge the issue, never mind addressed it. I'd be very much surprised to discover that you even understand the issue in the first place. In fact, I'm certain that you do not.

I reserve the right to change course. You seem new here. I figured I'd give the benefit of the doubt. It will prove to be a waste of time.

Look idiot! I understand that you don't call yourself a Calvinist! Good greif! Does every single point have to spelled out in the clearest detail with you? It's like talking to a third grader!

You are FOR ALL INTENT AND PURPOSES a Calvinist! You don't like it, but that doesn't change the facts of life! You have, whether you acknowledge it or not, accepted every major premise of the Calvinist theological worldview. You come to a lot of different conclusions but that's only because you fancy yourself smarter than John Calvin and Aurelius Augustinus Hipponensis and I can assure you that you are not! You buy the premise, you buy the conclusion or you have an irrational doctrine (as though Calvinism wasn't already irrational enough!). That's the way sound reason works.

My problem is with YOUR doctrine as stated in the opening post. If you'll reread my first post in this thread, you'll find that I challenged you then on the PREMISES of your doctrine. Your response was to proof text me to death. If you want to engage in an actual, substantive debate then engaging the premises upon which your doctrine is based is the only basis upon which there is to proceed because you can turn any text in the bible into a pretext for a doctrine. Proof texting proves nothing! Jesus DID NOT teach your doctrine, no matter how many times you want to post your favorite verse.

If you don't want to engage the debate and are instead interested in spreading your childish stupidity you call a theology around, then just say so, or post anything in response to this post that smells even a little bit like proof-texting and you won't ever have to bother with responding to me on this thread again.

Now, will you answer my questions or not?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Excellent post. He's a Calvinist, that's for certain.