Abortion///cont.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Quip says that you, as a Canadian, are "a person born or naturalized in the United States."

I call those people United States citizens. The Constitution says the same.
Silly me. Silly Constitution.

Au contraire mon ami...

If your constitution says I am American, then great!
I'll take it because our constitution is a mess.

Yours is way better.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I don't want to kill anyone. Deliberate killing of a human being is immoral. Remember?

Do you think it should be illegal (in the USA) to kill Canadians, Quip?

That's your strawman, not mine. Do you reserve the right to kill Canadians if and when the desire may strike you?

glassjester

That's your strawman, not mine. Do you reserve the right to kill Canadians if and when the desire may strike you?

Nope. You said the unborn are not granted the right to life because they are not defined as "persons" by our Constitution.

Your evidence being the constitutional definition of citizens as "persons born or naturalized in the United States." (hereafter - PBNUS)

Well, if the unborn have no right to life because they are not PBNUS, well then Canadians don't have the right to life either.

Or... do they? On what basis can you claim that Canadians' right to life is protected by the US Constitution?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Nope. You said the unborn are not granted the right to life because they are not defined as "persons" by our Constitution.

Your evidence being the constitutional definition of citizens as "persons born or naturalized in the United States." (hereafter - PBNUS)

Well, if the unborn have no right to life because they are not PBNUS, well then Canadians don't have the right to life either.

Or... do they? On what basis can you claim that Canadians' right to life is protected by the US Constitution?

Quell your ignorance of the matter and your flaws in logic will be revealed. :idunno:

glassjester

I'm not the one asking ignorant questions.
Nice try though.

I'd say they're protected by federal and state laws against murder, which do not distinguish between citizen and non-citizen victims.

...Or by a few Supreme Court rulings which extend constitutional rights to non-citizens.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I'd say they're protected by federal and state laws against murder, which do not distinguish between citizen and non-citizen victims.

...Or by a few Supreme Court rulings which extend constitutional rights to non-citizens.

:idea: There you go!

That wasn't so hard...was it?

glassjester

:idea: There you go!

So where's my flaw?

Quell your ignorance of the matter and your flaws in logic will be revealed. :idunno:

The right to life is not dependent on citizenship. So why should the Constitution's exclusion of the unborn as citizens preclude their right to life?

quip

BANNED
Banned
So where's my flaw?

The right to life is not dependent on citizenship. So why should the Constitution's exclusion of the unborn as citizens preclude their right to life?

It has nothing to do with citizenship. Again, that was your straw man.

Rather, it was a constitutional example (one of several) where "person" was used to denote rights

Here's part of the quoted section you conveniently chose to ignore:

But in nearly all these instances, the use of the word [person] is such that it has application only post-natally. None indicates, with any assurance, that it has any possible pre-natal application.

glassjester

Here's part of the quoted section you conveniently chose to ignore:

But in nearly all these instances, the use of the word [person] is such that it has application only post-natally. None indicates, with any assurance, that it has any possible pre-natal application.

Nor does it indicate that the unborn aren't persons. Does it?

quip

BANNED
Banned
They have an equal right to life.
Why? Because their right to life comes from an equal source - the fact that they are both human.

I contend that fetus and mother aren't quite as equal to you outside the abortion scenario.
Let's try a hypothetical:

We have an in vitro lab on fire. In this burning lab we have 100 human embryos in a cart of vials waiting for implantation into their human host. Also, we have an 11-day-old infant in this same burning lab.

Now, you can only save one from the flames. Which one would you save?

Which one would the vast majority of people save?

Why do you think this is the case?

WizardofOz

I contend that fetus and mother aren't quite as equal to you outside the abortion scenario.
Let's try a hypothetical:

We have an in vitro lab on fire. In this burning lab we have 100 human embryos in a cart of vials waiting for implantation into their human host. Also, we have an 11-day-old infant in this same burning lab.

Why do you think this is the case?

Still playing the same baseless hypothetical?

A burning lab has an 11-day-old infant and a 100-year-old woman.

Do you understand the absolute irrelevance of your hypothetical yet?