A Walk Through Revelation

fzappa13

More about the firstborn and the connected dots to inheritance and firstfruits.

The firstborn is set apart from others.

Exodus 13
(2) “Consecrate to me all the firstborn. Whatever is the first to open the womb among the people of Israel, both of man and of beast, is mine.”

Tribe of Levi (the priests) take the place of the firstborn from the womb.

Numbers 3
(12) “Behold, I have taken the Levites from among the people of Israel instead of every firstborn who opens the womb among the people of Israel. The Levites shall be mine,
Numbers 3
(41) And you shall take the Levites for me—I am the LORD—instead of all the firstborn among the people of Israel, and the cattle of the Levites instead of all the firstborn among the cattle of the people of Israel.”
I have to wonder what changed here and why?

The tribe of priests (Levi) has a different inheritance than the rest of Israel and is why they got no land.

Deuteronomy 10
(9) Therefore Levi has no portion or inheritance with his brothers. The LORD is his inheritance,
Deuteronomy 18
(1) “The Levitical priests, all the tribe of Levi, shall have no portion or inheritance with Israel. They shall eat the LORD's food offerings as their inheritance.
Ezekiel 44
(28) “This shall be their [tribe of Levi] inheritance: I am their inheritance: and you shall give them no possession in Israel; I am their possession.
As you know, walk a couple of verses further and you run into this:

30And the first of all the firstfruits of all things, and every oblation of all, of every sort of your oblations, shall be the priest's: ye shall also give unto the priest the first of your dough, that he may cause the blessing to rest in thine house.

If, as I suspect, Ez 40-48 concerns the millennial temple and it's observances, it would appear that this is one of the observances carried forth from the O.T. observances. Interesting in that, considering what comes later in Revelation, these priests would appear to the THE firstfruits as it concerns resurrection.

And firstfruits go to the priests.

Deuteronomy 18
(4) The firstfruits of your grain, of your wine and of your oil, and the first fleece of your sheep, you shall give him.
Ezekiel 44
(30) And the first of all the firstfruits of all kinds, and every offering of all kinds from all your offerings, shall belong to the priests.

Which will tie in when we get to chapter 14.

Revelation 14
(4) It is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are virgins. It is these who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. These have been redeemed from mankind as firstfruits for God and the Lamb,
REALLY tempting to get into this but ... I'll wait.

Last edited:

fzappa13

The whole notion of being firstborn has intrigued me in that I am the first of three siblings. Not to generalize but, we do often hold several traits in common. We usually don't lack for confidence. We generally watch with some chagrin as our younger siblings get the same privileges that we had to win, a week or two after we did, without the effort we endured. We tend to be protective of our younger siblings. We tend to have some leadership skills, likely as a result of being the first to encounter what our younger siblings will face.

We each have a role to play as a part of the quilt that God has made with us and I would be the last to suggest that one is more important that the other. Having said that, I find it curious that God would single out the firstborn/first fruits for the purpose of teaching ... whatever it is He is trying to teach us.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have to wonder what changed here and why?
Carry it on back to the last judgement on Egypt - death of the firstborn.
It was the firstborn that were in danger of the judgment of death.
None of the firstborn could be saved except by the blood of the lamb on the doorpost.

Revelation 1
(5) and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood
(6) and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Made us a kingdom of priests (who are the firstborn).
The Ultimate Firstborn (the Lord Jesus Christ) frees us (His kingdom of priests) from death by the blood of the Ultimate Priest (the Lord Jesus Christ) whom death could not hold.

If, as I suspect, Ez 40-48 concerns the millennial temple and it's observances,
Strange things about that temple described in Ezekiel that scholars have noticed.
One of which is that there are no height measurements given for the temple proper.
The only height measurements given are of things like a wall all around the outside of the temple area and some of the artifacts inside such as the altar, but none for the temple itself.
All those artist renditions of what the Ezekiel temple should look like are all made up when it comes to the height measurements.
To put another way, one cannot draw or build an accurate physical temple structure without height measurements.

Last edited:

fzappa13

Carry it on back to the last judgement on Egypt - death of the firstborn.
It was the firstborn that were in danger of the judgment of death except the firstborn
None of the firstborn could be saved except by the blood of the lamb on the doorpost.
I think I just saw what you were suggesting here. This is a prophetic first look at what was to come ... as are all of God's ordinances. Then again maybe I'm just seeing what you said through the lens of what I believe.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Tam expressed an interest in a non hurried approach to this effort and I concurred. This allows for chasing down different thoughts while the format itself bring things back on course in sequentially working our way through it. I participated in the thread you referenced and when we get to 13 it might be useful to review said thread for possible inclusions into this one.
Yes, 100% understood. I just want to make sure I don't lose this post of yours, for whenever we do get there, because it dawned on me too late for me to followup on it with you in that conversation; this link to the post is just for posterity, for when we get there; sorry to interrupt; carry on.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, 100% understood. I just want to make sure I don't lose this post of yours, for whenever we do get there, because it dawned on me too late for me to followup on it with you in that conversation; this link to the post is just for posterity, for when we get there; sorry to interrupt; carry on.
Why wait until chapter 13 to be involved in the study when there is lots to reveal in each chapter.
Open invitation to you.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Why wait until chapter 13 to be involved in the study when there is lots to reveal in each chapter.
Open invitation to you.
I appreciate it. I'm following /watching the thread and I'll pitch in when I can, when the spirit moves me; whenever I can. I'm not going to just play Devil's advocate just for the sake of it, and I won't clog it up if I have nothing novel to offer either. If that's OK.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I appreciate it. I'm following /watching the thread and I'll pitch in when I can, when the spirit moves me; whenever I can. I'm not going to just play Devil's advocate just for the sake of it, and I won't clog it up if I have nothing novel to offer either. If that's OK.
OK by me, no pressure.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think I just saw what you were suggesting here. This is a prophetic first look at what was to come ... as are all of God's ordinances.
What was to come would be another repeat of the cycle throughout history --- blessings and curses.
The imagery John uses is to bring a reminder of those cycles and to not be discouraged because in all those cycles God prevailed over the forces of darkness.

The churches of John's timeframe were being persecuted on scale unlike previous times.
This scale of persecution was throughout the whole world by the whole world.
Both Gentiles and Jews in the churches of the world were being persecuted by both Gentiles and Jews (outsiders and their own kinfolk).

So John is basically reminding the churches to keep in mind (REMEMBER) all the previous stories and who it was that always prevailed when things looked the darkest.

Then again maybe I'm just seeing what you said through the lens of what I believe.
Many layers that can be viewed in many ways.
Same story told in many ways. (Same way Jesus told many different parables to express the same concept.)
REMEMBER all the many stories and who the victor was in all of them.

fzappa13

What was to come would be another repeat of the cycle throughout history --- blessings and curses.
The imagery John uses is to bring a reminder of those cycles and to not be discouraged because in all those cycles God prevailed over the forces of darkness.
Eccl 1: 9The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
10Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.
Eccl 3: 15That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.

Here lay one of the most important keys to understanding the Bible. That which we think of as merely history is itself prophecy.

The churches of John's timeframe were being persecuted on scale unlike previous times.
This scale of persecution was throughout the whole world by the whole world.
Both Gentiles and Jews in the churches of the world were being persecuted by both Gentiles and Jews (outsiders and their own kinfolk).

So John is basically reminding the churches to keep in mind (REMEMBER) all the previous stories and who it was that always prevailed when things looked the darkest.
Interesting thought. I'm going to hold off just a little while longer before offering the 35,000 foot view of these churches.

Many layers that can be viewed in many ways.
Same story told in many ways. (Same way Jesus told many different parables to express the same concept.)
REMEMBER all the many stories and who the victor was in all of them.
After years of studying, one of the things that jumped out at me about the Bible is just how few things it talks about. A remarkably small number of events and ideas are pointed to from different perspectives. It is my hope that this walk through Revelation will offer the ongoing opportunity to illustrate this.

fzappa13

Your input and your attitude are both appreciated.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chapter 1
The 7 lamps

Revelation 1
(12) Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands,
(20) As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands, the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

Previously we talked of the 7 churches having a wider scope than just those listed in Asia and would be of all churches of the world.
The golden lamps should remind folks of the 7 branched Menorah in the Tabernacle/Temple.
In the temple where only priests were allowed.
The temple where the Shekinah glory (presence of the LORD) resided.
And we can recall from post #38 of the kingdom of priests being the firstborn with a different no-land inheritance and partakers of firstfruits.

Luke, in his gospel and his recording of Acts illuminates more dots.

Luke 2​
(30) for my eyes have seen your salvation​
(31) that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples,​
(32) a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel.”​
Acts 13​
(47) For so the Lord has commanded us, saying, “‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’”​
Acts 26​
(17) delivering you from your people and from the Gentiles—to whom I am sending you​
Acts 26​
(20) but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.​
Acts 26​
(23) that the Christ must suffer and that, by being the first to rise from the dead, he would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles.​

Now recall that the 7 lights of the Menorah (which was formed as a single unity) .......
OIP.uqFL3wnIGtMR7M3lf96UuwHaFj

....... and the table with 12 loaves
OIP.ZRZI0Yq3c72NQDZgwA_R1wHaD-

were in the same holy room of the temple.

7 & 12 are used repeatedly in Revelation.

Have a nice day. :love:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think that part of the reason for this is that he understood what he was looking at in Jesus on a level his fellow Apostles did not. Hence, if they had what they thought was a touchy question for Jesus they would offer it to John to pass along. Having said that, John's unique style seems to be largely absent in this book.
Then why did the Holy Spirit put those accounts that by you are off base, in the Bible? All scripture is God inspired. This is a tangent, but it matters. You don't understand Matthew because you don't read the "Old Testament" first. And just accept it for what it says.

I will listen, and before I do I will say the Revelation is about Israel, and the punishment at the end for those outside of Christ. No, I don't know all the allegory.

fzappa13

Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

This is a reiteration of what Jesus Himself said while still with us:

Matt 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Last edited:

fzappa13

8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

This is the first of 4 occurrences of this phrase in Revelation and are unique to it. Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters in the Greek alphabet and here are offered as a reiteration of the thought of being the first and the last. The fullness of what this means will hopefully become evident as we go along as this phrase opens and closes the book of Revelation.

Last edited:

fzappa13

9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Having dispensed with the introduction to this book John goes on to the meat of Jesus's message by identifying the primary subject of it; namely, the day of the Lord. A search for this phrase throughout the Bible will offer those who undertake it much information and detail concerning the matters brought forth in Revelation.

Last edited:

fzappa13

Before leaving the subject of the Lord's return in clouds I would like to marry that thought with that of there being two "days" between His first coming and His return mentioned in Hosea earlier in this thread. We were shown both long before that:

Ex 19: 9 And the LORD said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with thee, and believe thee for ever. And Moses told the words of the people unto the LORD.
10 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes,
11 And be ready against the third day: for the third day the LORD will come down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Having dispensed with the introduction to this book John goes on to the meat of Jesus's message by identifying the subject of it; namely, the day of the Lord. A search for this phrase throughout the Bible will offer those who undertake it much information and detail concerning the matters brought forth in Revelation.
The Lord's Day is Revelation 19, and should not be confused with the departure of the church (Body of Christ). We go to him, versus he comes here to restore Israel after their tribulation and to dispense judgment in the form of wrath.

fzappa13

Chapter 1
The 7 lamps

Revelation 1
(12) Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands,
(20) As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands, the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

Previously we talked of the 7 churches having a wider scope than just those listed in Asia and would be of all churches of the world.
The golden lamps should remind folks of the 7 branched Menorah in the Tabernacle/Temple.
In the temple where only priests were allowed.
The temple where the Shekinah glory (presence of the LORD) resided.
And we can recall from post #38 of the kingdom of priests being the firstborn with a different no-land inheritance and partakers of firstfruits.

Luke, in his gospel and his recording of Acts illuminates more dots.

Luke 2​
(30) for my eyes have seen your salvation​
(31) that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples,​
(32) a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel.”​
Acts 13​
(47) For so the Lord has commanded us, saying, “‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’”​
Acts 26​
(17) delivering you from your people and from the Gentiles—to whom I am sending you​
Acts 26​
(20) but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.​
Acts 26​
(23) that the Christ must suffer and that, by being the first to rise from the dead, he would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles.​

Now recall that the 7 lights of the Menorah (which was formed as a single unity) .......
OIP.uqFL3wnIGtMR7M3lf96UuwHaFj

....... and the table with 12 loaves
OIP.ZRZI0Yq3c72NQDZgwA_R1wHaD-

were in the same holy room of the temple.

7 & 12 are used repeatedly in Revelation.

Have a nice day. :love:
I enjoy your enthusiasm and I appreciate your efforts to point out the Lord and His grace, offered to both Jew and Gentile, as we are now both of the same tree if either of us avails ourselves of the benefits of His sacrifice. Indeed, both 7 and 12 are two of several numbers that God has woven into His Word to teach us. Before this book has received a full review they will seem like old friends. Though temple ordinances receive little ink in this book there are aspects of them that have a direct bearing on what is offered in Revelation and hopefully we can continue to highlight those as we encounter them.

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Having dispensed with the introduction to this book John goes on to the meat of Jesus's message by identifying the primary subject of it; namely, the day of the Lord. A search for this phrase throughout the Bible will offer those who undertake it much information and detail concerning the matters brought forth in Revelation.
The "day of the Lord" is worded in different ways in the Bible.

The "Lord's day" in Rev 1:10 is believed by many Christians to be Sunday. That's just plain wrong, as there is just no logical reason to believe that. There are plenty of logical reasons to say that it is the "day of the Lord" (i.e., God's time of judgment upon the earth).