Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Aw...Chronic fatigue, huh?

Aw...Chronic fatigue, huh?

Originally posted by Jefferson

:yawn:
Here, have some Mello Yello™; it'll wake you right up. Better than coffee, even!

:chuckle:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by granite1010

I was only asking. And as far as stoning goes, I see no reason to re-institute it, especially when a gallows or firing squad does the trick--no fuss, no muss.
I see a very good reason to re-institute it: God commands it.

Besides, peer pressure is a very powerful effect on society. Just observe how established "political correctness" influences the behavior of the masses. If the public were the ones who did the executing instead of faceless, nameless executioners it would cause very powerful societal peer pressure against those capital crimes.

Also, the act of participating in the execution (of adultery for example) would help the participant's views against adultery to become more a part of him, more "set in stone" since it is no longer just a vague concept, idea or belief but rather is now a physical act (stoning) which he actively participated in.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Besides, peer pressure is a very powerful effect on society. Just observe how established "political correctness" influences the behavior of the masses. If the public were the ones who did the executing instead of faceless, nameless executioners it would cause very powerful societal peer pressure against those capital crimes.

Also, the act of participating in the execution (of adultery for example) would help the participant's views against adultery to become more a part of him, more "set in stone" since it is no longer just a vague concept, idea or belief but rather is now a physical act (stoning) which he actively participated in.

So how would this work? Would there be a lottery of potential Stoners to pick from? Would people be picked at random?

I don't recall a specific mandate requiring stoning in scripture. This is how Israel disposed of capital offenders (and compared to, say, their Assyrian neighbors, death by stoning was humane by the standards of the day). They also circumcised their sons with flints. So what? I can see your point in making the executions a more personal, public spectacle--I think we should televise them, if we're serious about deterring criminals through capital punishment. But I don't see why we need to unnecessarily prolong the suffering of a convict to satisfy a group's bloodlust. There seems to be a complete contempt of mercy in your attitude.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

Jefferson has been answering your questions in a straightforward manner, despite your scoffing and putting words in his mouth.

Give the guy a break.

Actually no, he hasn't. And he's capable of defending himself. Thanks for your try-out for referee.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm a moderator, granite1010, not a referee. I wasn't "trying out" for you. You don't even have the authority to make the call.

I agree that Jefferson is capable of defending himself. He's been doing a good job of it, too.

Which of your questions did he leave unanswered?

the Sibbie

Sorry for just jumping in like this but, stoning might allow a longer time for the criminal to think about his/her wrongdoing and possibly increase the chance the person will repent before entering eternal damnation. Especially, if they are not immediately knocked unconscious.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

I'm a moderator, granite1010, not a referee. I wasn't "trying out" for you. You don't even have the authority to make the call.

I agree that Jefferson is capable of defending himself. He's been doing a good job of it, too.

Which of your questions did he leave unanswered?

Turbo. I was being sarcastic.

Come on. We're both from Detroit...I don't think either of us have a thin skin.

One question for advocates of theocracy: given the church's disastrous results when mingled with the state, what makes anyone think a monarchy wrapped in biblical rhetoric will have better results?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Sibbie

Sorry for just jumping in like this but, stoning might allow a longer time for the criminal to think about his/her wrongdoing and possibly increase the chance the person will repent before entering eternal damnation. Especially, if they are not immediately knocked unconscious.

By that rationale why don't we just drag out electrocutions for a bit and tell shooters on a firing squad to go for non-lethal shots first?:rolleyes:

Sadism in the name of getting sinners to repent...what does that remind me of...?

the Sibbie

By that rationale why don't we just drag out electrocutions for a bit and tell shooters on a firing squad to go for non-lethal shots first?:rolleyes:

Sadism in the name of getting sinners to repent...what does that remind me of...?
Hey if it were up to me I wouldn't be the least bit merciful. They wouldn't see it coming! I'd send them directly to hell. Good thing I'm not God, huh?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Perhaps there's a reason behind the implementation of quick and relatively painless execution methods.

Snuff them before they have a chance to repent, perhaps...?
:think:

In days of old, the preferred methods of execution involved a goodly amount of slow torture.

Now, whether this was supposed to induce repentance or provide some sadistic jollies for those doing the torturing is open to question...

the Sibbie

Actually, it would be more painful for me to see a person suffer slowly, than to see them die quickly. But their chance to repent to God while still alive is minimized if death is painless and quick. I don't know about you, but repentance is not always the most immediate reaction right after I have commited a sin. It usually takes a while to cool down along with feelings of guilt or condemation before I decide I want to repent.

Last edited:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Hoo Hah!

Hoo Hah!

Hey if it were up to me I wouldn't be the least bit merciful. They wouldn't see it coming! I'd send them directly to hell.
Remember, in Jefferson-topia™ you can do exactly that if you are the wronged party.

You can offer the opportunity to repent before the hammer falls, but that decision rests entirely with you.

Get them before they can repent, because if they do, you'll have to look at their ugly faces in heaven...forever!

It's nice to see somebody else around here as vile and black-hearted as I am...:thumb:

the Sibbie

Originally posted by Gerald

Perhaps there's a reason behind the implementation of quick and relatively painless execution methods.

Snuff them before they have a chance to repent, perhaps...?
:think:

In days of old, the preferred methods of execution involved a goodly amount of slow torture.

Now, whether this was supposed to induce repentance or provide some sadistic jollies for those doing the torturing is open to question...
I don't know how those other people felt about slow torture. Also, I don't really know God's reason for using stoning as a way of putting a criminal to death, but it was just a thought.

the Sibbie

Re: Hoo Hah!

Re: Hoo Hah!

Originally posted by Gerald

Remember, in Jefferson-topia™ you can do exactly that if you are the wronged party.

You can offer the opportunity to repent before the hammer falls, but that decision rests entirely with you.

Get them before they can repent, because if they do, you'll have to look at their ugly faces in heaven...forever!

It's nice to see somebody else around here as vile and black-hearted as I am...:thumb:
:doh:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
So a woman living with an abusive husband is left with no recourse but to put up and shut up? The other option being having the lout bludgeoned to death in public and leaving her destitute.
Divorce would be allowed in cases of abuse. Physical and emotional cruelty is a negation of both of the biblical principles of material and emotional support, which are the biblical rights of a marriage partner (Ex.21.10-11). It is therefore a biblical ground for divorce: Exodus 21:10-11 - "If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish. And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money."

The above verse concerned slave wives. Thus, even slave wives, in ancient Jewish society, were protected in their marriages against spousal abuse. Therefore, God's Moral Law permits divorce if either the husband or the wife fails to honor the marriage covenant in matters pertaining to food, clothing (and shelter), reasonable sexual relations, marital faithfulness and non-violent treatment.

But an even more compelling reason for abuse being biblical grounds for divorce is the issue of desertion. It is possible for a spouse to desert a marriage without physically leaving the home. Certainly if a husband refuses to support his wife and children financially and continues unrepentant in that pattern, but continues to live with them under the same roof, we would conclude that he has “deserted” his family in the most significant
sense. He has refused to take responsibility for them. He has broken his marriage vows and does not seek to renew his adherence to them. Therefore spouse abuse would also be a ground for divorce on the basis of “desertion.” The unrepentant spouse abuser, too, has forsaken his marriage vow. He no longer loves, honors and cherishes his wife; rather he has become a threat to her life and health. Of course she would be biblically free to leave him.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

So how would this work? Would there be a lottery of potential Stoners to pick from? Would people be picked at random?

I don't recall a specific mandate requiring stoning in scripture.
Deuteronomy 17:5-7 "then you shall bring forth that man or that woman who has committed that evil thing, to your gates, even that man or that woman, and shall stone them with stones until they die. At the mouth of two witnesses or three witnesses shall he that is worthy of death be put to death. At the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death. The hands of the witnesses shall be first on him to put him to death, and afterwards the hands of all the people. So you shall put the evil away from among you."

I don't see why we need to unnecessarily prolong the suffering of a convict to satisfy a group's bloodlust.
Stoning until death would not take longer that 60 seconds. It is painful but not torturous. Torture implies a time period of days and weeks, even months.

There seems to be a complete contempt of mercy in your attitude.
A 60 second stoning compared to the years of pain that innocent people dying of cancer have to experience is merciful by comparison. It is also merciful to society because it deters future crime upon them.

Zakath

Resident Atheist

And remind me of the the reason you are disobeying the commands of your deity by refusing to stone people who meet the criteria?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Stoning until death would not take longer that 60 seconds.
Bah! You're not doing it right, then. These things can be drawn out for hours...if you know what you're doing...

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Zakath

And remind me of the the reason you are disobeying the commands of your deity by refusing to stone people who meet the criteria?
Because ol' John Law™ will come along and step on his neck.

Jefferson's got enough sense not to let himself become another David Koresh...

Status
Not open for further replies.