You deserve this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
if i drink a quart of scotch and drive home tonight at 140 mph and wreck my car and end up a quadriplegic, i would say that I had earned that consequence by my actions

and that has nothing to do with whether or not it is a just reward for my behavior

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
But a woman who hasn't raped anybody can't reap poetic justice, either.

This doesn't follow at all. Do you only consider it poetic justice when convicted rapists are sodomized in prison? What about murderers? Persons guilty of grand theft auto?

It's not reasonable for someone to poison your drink, therefore it isn't ever deserved.

You are still relying on "deserve" in the sense of 1. I fully agree with you that it's never reasonable for someone to poison a woman's drink in order to rape her. Nonetheless, it is wholly unreasonable for a woman not to take reasonable precaution against it and yet be surprised when, lo and behold, it happens.

It's like leaving your valuables on the front seat of your car, in plain sight, with the doors unlocked, and then claiming to be surprised when you come back and they are stolen.

The simple fact is that from a relatively early age, it is impressed on women, over and over again: "Don't go to frat house parties. You'll get raped there. Do not leave your drink unattended. You'll get raped if you do."

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
if i drink a quart of scotch and drive home tonight at 140 mph and wreck my car and end up a quadriplegic, i would say that I had earned that consequence by my actions

and that has nothing to do with whether or not it is a just reward for my behavior

I fully agree. And the way that we normally express this is: "You should have known better" or "What did you expect would happen?" "The Darwin Awards" also come to mind.

musterion

If you have a car that can do 140 and can afford good scotch, I'd say you're a white guy, wealthy by theft, who on that basis alone deserves whatever he gets. You patriarchal hegemonic racist, you.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
If you have a car that can do 140 and can afford good scotch, I'd say you're a white guy, wealthy by theft, who on that basis alone deserves whatever he gets. You patriarchal hegemonic racist, you.

"Deserve" in the sense of 2, i.e., poetic justice! :D

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
3. Rape may be deserved in the sense of 3 (what is reasonably foreseeable as though by cause and effect). "You left your drink unattended at a fraternity party? What did you expect to happen, lady?"

I expect from an early age for parents to tell their children, teens, young adults "you don't spike someone's drink and rape them".

The way your post comes across is that it's only natural for men to do such things.

It's only natural for rapists to do such a thing.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I expect from an early age for parents to tell their children, teens, young adults "you don't spike someone's drink and rape them".

The way your post comes across is that it's only natural for men to do such things.

It's only natural for rapists to do such a thing.

I certainly intend to say no such thing. Of the 20 men in the bar, chances are, only one of them (i.e., the extraordinarily vicious one...the "moral outlier," so to speak) is likely to be going around slipping drugs into the drinks of unsuspecting women and subsequently attempting to rape them

And it's unreasonable for the woman in question not to be expecting that there might be at least one.

Again, consider the analogy of leaving your valuables on the front seat of your car, in plain sight, with the doors unlocked. Throughout the course of the time that you are gone, chances are, 100 completely ordinary, "decent" people walked by your car, saw the valuables, and didn't even think to steal them. But it only takes one, and you should have expected that there might be at least one.

Just as you should make sure that you hide your valuables and lock your doors, so too, you should avoid frat house parties and make sure that your drink is not left unattended.

elohiym

... it's unreasonable for the woman in question not to be expecting that there might be at least one.

Is it reasonable to expect that at least one of the twenty male posters participating in the rape discussions on TOL is a rapist? :think:

1PeaceMaker

This doesn't follow at all.

It does follow. Poetic justice for smearing poo all over your prison cell would be stepping in your poo, falling and actually wounding your own pride. Not getting murdered by angry prison guards for it.

Do you only consider it poetic justice when convicted rapists are sodomized in prison?

Now you changed the goalposts. I said a woman who has not raped cannot be raped as poetic justice. Agreed?

What about murderers? Persons guilty of grand theft auto?

:nono:

You are still relying on "deserve" in the sense of 1. I fully agree with you that it's never reasonable for someone to poison a woman's drink in order to rape her. Nonetheless, it is wholly unreasonable for a woman not to take reasonable precaution against it and yet be surprised when, lo and behold, it happens.

When discussing predators, they pick on easy prey. Since easy can be a bell curve based on location and population, some easy prey might cover their drinks like everyone else but be distracted just that one time by a text on their phone while opening their car in a parking lot. The predators will just wait for the right vulnerable moment. That's why we have laws against stalkers.

It's like leaving your valuables on the front seat of your car, in plain sight, with the doors unlocked, and then claiming to be surprised when you come back and they are stolen.

To be redundant, predators who stalk women to rape them are like wild animals, they study for weakness, wait, then pounce when the moment is right.

It's twisted to be teaching women that they must always have their guards up or they will share culpability with a predator. Everyone has to be able to close their eyes once in a while. That's why we punish assailants, not victims.

Otherwise we might as well demand that our daughters always go out with a chastity belt on. Because when will the self protection give way to society's standards and protections if we don't keep the responsibility with the perps where it belongs?

The simple fact is that from a relatively early age, it is impressed on women, over and over again: "Don't go to frat house parties. You'll get raped there. Do not leave your drink unattended. You'll get raped if you do."

I think it's more likely that women hear about this as they get to college age, and it's more like they hear anecdotes. Age appropriate talks don't cover frat parties when it comes to the little kids. It's more like, don't get in a car with a stranger or go places alone with people you don't know as well as your mom and dad.

Face it, women are mostly raped by men they come to trust. That includes those they are friends with in college.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Is it reasonable to expect that at least one of the twenty male posters participating in the rape discussions on TOL is a rapist? :think:

"Is" vs. "may be." If there were a get together of all of the current members of TOL, I would strongly advise the women not to leave their drinks unattended.

And again, there's differences in populations. 20 TOLers and 20 random bar goers aren't really the same thing, are they?

At any rate, women "deserve" to be raped, in some cases, in the sense of 3 because they are playing a numbers game. If I play Russian Roulette, and I pull the trigger 6 times, I "deserve" to get my brains blown out. Sure, there were 6 chambers, and only one bullet. But I pulled the trigger 6 times. Was there a chance I might survive? Of course. Should I have "known better," and should I be considered foolish that I overestimated my chances at "winning" the game?

You betcha.

When a woman goes to a frat party, or when she leaves her drink unattended, or when she does things which are similar to this, she is, in effect, playing Russian Roullette, and the number of times in which she is pulling the trigger is roughly equivalent to the number of possible offenders.

She goes in basically knowing the odds, and she plays anyway? Shame on her. That's just foolish. :idunno:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

already told you that i am, by the new DOJ definition

i suspect quite a few other men are as well, if they have ever had sex with their wives when they (the wives) have been drinking

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I certainly intend to say no such thing. Of the 20 men in the bar, chances are, only one of them (i.e., the extraordinarily vicious one...the "moral outlier," so to speak) is likely to be going around slipping drugs into the drinks of unsuspecting women and subsequently attempting to rape them

That's one too many. I expect better and so should you. IF I am willing to stand against a majority of women and men and say "it is not acceptable for women to abort their babies", why is it that YOU, as a man, cannot speak on behalf of men and let them know that even one rapists among you is not acceptable?

And it's unreasonable for the woman in question not to be expecting that there might be at least one.

It's unreasonable for a man to believe there is not a woman who will spike his drink, lure him away and then beat and rob him while he is passed out cold. Do you feel any of you, your friend's, relatives, etc. would DESERVE such treatment for being the victim of person with evil intentions?

Again, consider the analogy of leaving your valuables on the front seat of your car, in plain sight, with the doors unlocked. Throughout the course of the time that you are gone, chances are, 100 completely ordinary, "decent" people walked by your car, saw the valuables, and didn't even think to steal them. But it only takes one, and you should have expected that there might be at least one.

If they want your car or what is in it that badly, they WILL break the window. I know this because it happened to my son in the parking lot of Walmart. He locked the car and someone broke the window to steal a CD.

Just as you should make sure that you hide your valuables and lock your doors, so too, you should avoid frat house parties and make sure that your drink is not left unattended.

Seriously, how do I *hide* two PC's, a DVR, and a 65 inch color television? Better yet, why should I hide them?

Interestingly enough, I guarantee you that you do not utilize the suggestions for yourself that you do for women.

Status
Not open for further replies.