Why the Religious Will Perish with the Unbelievers

Lon

Then there is the supposed Tower of Babel, one of the poorest models of language evolution ever conceived, but raising another question to answer about authorship of confusion.
Inane observation. Just because you think something doesn't make you cogent or intelligent. Go ahead, find a news outlet and find 4 or 5 oddballs to agree with you. With skeptics, that's all it takes. You are being purposefully dull and the reason is clear. It is ALL confirmation bias and poor thinking on your part.

So far you have failed to be convincing on this point because you keep giving examples in which the illusion is known by someone. But what I am saying to you is I cannot know for sure whether, despite my most skeptical efforts to observe, the universe is putting on some kind of facade that succeeds in putting me off ever being able to discern its workings.
I know. Confirmation bias works this way. Here is how that works: EMOTE about your life, what you like and don't like, then create a world where, when confronted, you can deny anything contrary to your fantasy illusion world-view. That man, is you. I've know this about you since the day I first talked to you. Your 'angst' on TOL expresses nothing but. Listen: This is ALL we see and know of you on TOL. You have nothing to do with logical or informative conversation for us. Nothing. You are a big emoting mess who hides behind skepticism but that has nothing to do with fact. You are hiding behind terms and ideas that have nothing to do with the conversation. They are all excusing behaviors and acting/emoting out your own frustrations. You are that guy.

I have to assume that what I see is reasonably what I get, and perhaps part of that is the assumption that humans are capable enough to generate meaningful knowledge. That all remains an assumption for all humans and therefore is beyond your ability as much as it is beyond mine to really know.
Again, this is a façade. An excuse. It has no bearing on reality. You hide behind it so you don't have to face anything that troubles your little world.

Provisional scientific knowledge is the highest quality of knowledge we have, and often the measure of that is how much respect it gets from people who work within different epistemological frameworks (in my opinions the ones that aren't as good!). 'Truth' is a personal philosophical position, not a statement of objective fact. The closest you get to objective fact is the provisional knowledge of science.
Nope. Again, this is a defense mechanism for your worldview. You know, per fact, and without ANY mediocrity, that hurting/using another individual is wrong. It is an absolute and you DIDN'T come to it by science. Therefore, you KNOW that there are truths better than provisional science postulates. There is a REASON skeptics run to PROVISIONAL science for their ultimate. It helps you think you can deny absolute truths. You can't.

It could well be a failing of scientists that the nature of scientific knowledge is not properly understood by a public audience, but then I often think that if parents who are bringing up their children in some religion or other were honest they would tell their children that the tenets of that religion are what they believe, but they could be completely wrong so take some care with it.
Nope, that is why a lot of atheist parents have Christian kids. The reason science is questions is BECAUSE it questions other factors that people believe are true. That's okay, but when it shoves it, without the ability to deliver, it loses credibility. I DO blame publication more than science in general. It cheapens and abuses what science is supposed to be. I don't attack science. My definition of science: "The best of what we understand so far..."

There is no actual debate about the meaning of radioisotope dating data within science, only within the circles of creationist fantasy thinking.
Incorrect. I JUST linked to a SCIENTIST who said there was a large revisiting... :plain: Either stuff your fingers in harder or pull them out.

Yes, I think you run into the problem of assumption 2 there. You have to assume that the communication you are getting is indeed the deity mentioned in 3, and not an illusion, and I think it would be a minor point to rephrase 4 in those terms, but you still have 4 in essence.
Yes, I realize you think that.

No, his fallacy of composition was to say that because the bible can be shown to be historically accurate (which it can in some respects but not all) that therefore the supernatural and other claims about Jesus should be seen to have more credibility. That is certainly the fallacy of composition.
Nope. To say that accuracy may very well reflect the integrity of authors is not a fallacy. It needs further veracity, but it is a working postulate that has meaning. AND btw, the way science works as well ("the best of our knowledge so far").

Stuu: Please link to where I have said that the unpleasant character of your god is a reason to think it doesn't exist
Did your god order the slaughter of the women and children of Amalek, or is that just like the wartime claim by humans that 'God is on our side'? If the latter, then the part played by the God character in this account is more historical fiction. If not, then it looks more like humans need saving from the God character, which is another good reason to reject Jesus as a 'saviour'. Which way would you play that one?

Good grief, seriously? That is what you cite in response? In case you need it spelling out: This says that the unpleasant character of your god is cause to reject Jesus as a saviour, not cause to think it doesn't exist. It even gives you the opportunity to say that actually this is not an demonstration of unpleasant character, it is merely humans making claims on behalf of the god. Once again, I recommend reading.
You are fancy dancing now... :plain:

What was?
:doh:

Well no actually. I don't think you would physically threaten me, and I don't think your arguments are going to threaten mine, which is disappointing. I still hold hope that you will properly devastate something I write and give me cause to think deeply about my own attempt at argument. It's the same with creationists here, I always hope I will learn something new or interesting, and sometime the claims have fabulous entertainment value in their absurdity, but no one ever says anything really challenging from a religious point of view. It's all quite dull too often, which is one of the reasons I gave for rejecting Jesus as a saviour. It's just not interesting.
Oh, I've done it, if you are up for self-analysis. You make excusing behaviors and hide behind intellectual facades instead of being truly intellectual. It is a parody of clear thinking.

You are perfectly entitled to find what I write mean-spirited, and have me removed, and whatever. But you know full well that I do not play the man, I play the ball, I argue as objectively as I can and I don't call people names. I feel no malice whatever towards you or Jsanford or anyone particularly. I happen to think christians are victims, not perpetrators of evil (although I might reserve a slightly different opinion for 'public' creationists, who are liars for their god, a bizarre activity).
You come across harsh more often than not. I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but 'caustic' is generally seen as playing the man, a form of malice, etc.

So, had you considered that whatever challenge I represent to you, and clearly I have you worried enough to somehow cause you to rant in quite an aggressive tone, it can only be a good thing that your beliefs are properly challenged? After all, what good is your faith if it turns out to be a fair-weather friend, unable to deal with the real challenges? Does your life consist of having challenges banned from the thread / your life / the discussions initiated by other people?

Stuart
This is where your 'guess' a previous held idea (bias) is confirmed. It is incorrect in this case. I nor many others, function like you. We have objective truth as a living paradigm. Yours is relative. The room for doubt is so much less than you realize. You CAN think it confirmation bias BUT it is an incredible bias. I am VERY biased that God is there and is not silent, so much so, that there is really nothing any more, than can shake that. I believe emphatically there are objective unchanging truths. In an analogy, a blind man 'may' question 'red.' I don't. You can never get me to question red, nor convince me my senses are faulty in claiming so. For you, I know you are up to how many people actually see red, but the numbers don't matter. This is the reality.

jsanford108

Why the Religious Will Perish with the Unbelievers

You two have missed it. The sole purpose of the Bible is to reveal Jesus Christ and his Gospel, this it does very well. just because there are a few errors in the Bible does not take away from it, it actually enhances it. The writers of the Bible were not scholars, they were ordinary men that were trying to record what they had seen and heard.

I would say that there are no errors in the Bible. Hence, the applied term of "inerrancy." And if the sole purpose of the Bible is to educate us on Christ, why is the largest portion of the Bible the Old Testament? What is the purpose of Ecclesiastes? Or how about Leviticus and Deuteronomy? These books seem to go against "sole purpose." As does Proverbs.

I think you have missed the point of my discussion with Stuart. Just calm down, and I will try and get back to you shortly to try and educate you on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Robert Pate

Banned
I would say that there are no errors in the Bible. Hence, the applied term of "inerrancy." And if the sole purpose of the Bible is to educate us on Christ, why is the largest portion of the Bible the Old Testament? What is the purpose of Ecclesiastes? Or how about Leviticus and Deuteronomy? These books seem to go against "sole purpose." As does Proverbs.

I think you have missed the point of my discussion with Stuart. Just calm down, and I will try and get back to you shortly to try and educate you on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

The Old Testament is a record of man's inability to please a holy God. It is also about how God is bringing forth a nation and a people from whom the savior of the world would come. The Old Testament compliments the New Testament. All that God purposed in the Old Testament has been fulfilled in the new Testament.

God's Truth

Making God an unjust, unmerciful, unrighteous tyrant that cannot be loved or trusted.

That is right, RP. However, your God is worse. Your God condemns those who searched Jesus' teaching and obeyed.

Lo to the one who did that, according to you. According to you, the one who came across a Bible and read the words of Jesus Christ and didn't have your false teacher around to tell them not to obey Jesus is CONDEMNED.

Robert Pate

Banned
That is right, RP. However, your God is worse. Your God condemns those who searched Jesus' teaching and obeyed.

Lo to the one who did that, according to you. According to you, the one who came across a Bible and read the words of Jesus Christ and didn't have your false teacher around to tell them not to obey Jesus is CONDEMNED.

I have never said that you should not obey Jesus. What I have said and Paul also says, is that you cannot keep all of the commandments because you are a sinner.

You are in denial of the fact that your righteousness comes short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23.

You make Paul a liar and make a sham out of God's word.

You have rejected the Gospel and justification by faith.

God's Truth

The Old Testament is a record of man's inability to please a holy God. It is also about how God is bringing forth a nation and a people from whom the savior of the world would come. The Old Testament compliments the New Testament. All that God purposed in the Old Testament has been fulfilled in the new Testament.

There are many people who obeyed God in the Old and New Testament.

God's Truth

I have never said that you should not obey Jesus.

You are twisting around. YOU said WE CANNOT obey,
What I have said and Paul also says, is that you cannot keep all of the commandments because you are a sinner.
See there, you said it again.

You are in denial of the fact that your righteousness comes short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23.
That means I need a Savior. It does NOT mean I cannot obey. It does NOT mean that if I sin I cannot REPENT and be forgiven!
You make Paul a liar and make a sham out of God's word.
You make Paul your ring leader in absurdity.

You have rejected the Gospel and justification by faith.

Justified by faith means we do not have to get circumcised. It does not mean we do not have to obey.

Robert Pate

Banned
You are twisting around. YOU said WE CANNOT obey,

See there, you said it again.

That means I need a Savior. It does NOT mean I cannot obey. It does NOT mean that if I sin I cannot REPENT and be forgiven!

You make Paul your ring leader in absurdity.

Justified by faith means we do not have to get circumcised. It does not mean we do not have to obey.

You can't figure out how one can be a sinner and still be saved.

Paul Confessed that he was, "The Chief of Sinners" 1 Timothy 1:15. You can't understand how Paul could be the Chief of sinners and still be saved.

The reason that you can't figure these things out is because you don't understand the Gospel or you don't want to understand it. I haven't met a Christian yet that was not a sinner. All come short of the glory of God.

What you don't understand is that God's law is spiritual. It searches the desires and the intent of the heart, Hebrews 4:12. Are all of your thoughts without sin? If you say yes, then you have made yourself a hypocrite. I am afraid that you are going to be in the Lord, Lord, didn't we group, Matthew 7:21-23. Lord, Lord, didn't we keep the commandments only to hear, "Depart from me I never knew you that work iniquity".

God's Truth

You can't figure out how one can be a sinner and still be saved.
Of course I know how, we repent of our sins.

Paul Confessed that he was, "The Chief of Sinners" 1 Timothy 1:15. You can't understand how Paul could be the Chief of sinners and still be saved.

He repented.

The reason that you can't figure these things out is because you don't understand the Gospel or you don't want to understand it. I haven't met a Christian yet that was not a sinner. All come short of the glory of God.

What you don't understand is that God's law is spiritual. It searches the desires and the intent of the heart, Hebrews 4:12.
That means you will be judged as a sinner even if you do not follow through with the sin but only think evil.
Are all of your thoughts without sin? If you say yes, then you have made yourself a hypocrite.
You have been a Christian how long and you can't stop thinking bad thought?
I am afraid that you are going to be in the Lord, Lord, didn't we group, Matthew 7:21-23. Lord, Lord, didn't we keep the commandments only to hear, "Depart from me I never knew you that work iniquity".
Jesus didn't tell them to depart from him for obeying him. Go look more closely.
Jesus said he never knew them because they kept sinning, they didn't repent.

beloved57

There are many people who obeyed God in the Old and New Testament.

Christ obeyed God, and as a result many shall be and are made righteous Rom 5:19

19 [FONT=&quot]For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one[Jesus Christ] shall many be made righteous.[/FONT]

Stuu

You two have missed it. The sole purpose of the Bible is to reveal Jesus Christ and his Gospel, this it does very well. just because there are a few errors in the Bible does not take away from it, it actually enhances it. The writers of the Bible were not scholars, they were ordinary men that were trying to record what they had seen and heard.
It looks a bit more political to me. Those gospel writers, stuck as they were as the oppressed minority in the middle of a Roman occupation, had Isaiah and other prophecy to fulfill, and their guy was this Jesus of Nazareth, who could have a script written for him in which he played all those required parts, no matter what had happened in his real life.

Stuart

Stuu

Assumption 3 is a conclusion, extrapolated in a different manner from the first two.
You are welcome to whatever analysis of that you like. I find it an unnecessary statement.

Assumption 1, being "I exist," (which I love the Descartes method usage, bravo on that), this is a conclusion based on observable reality.
Descartes makes it that, but I don't share his confidence.

Assumption 2, likewise, a conclusion based on observable reality.
It would be circular logic to use observation to conclude that observation is reliable. It has to be a blind assumption that what you see really is what you get.

Assumption 3 should be, "something caused the universe." Jumping to a God created universe skips the first logical conclusion that can be reached from observable realities, which is the necessity of cause.
The problem with that is we are discussing a universe in which time did not exist until the Big Bang, and there is no such thing as the 'time before the Big Bang', so you cannot have an effect following a cause in the usual way. It literally means nothing to say that something caused the universe to come into existence.

Science is a noun. I understand how you can use science as an action, but then you are "using science," thus making "using" the verb. Sure, one can use slang and say "Science it up," but that is slang, implying improper use of vocabulary.
I realise all that; but you take my point, right?

Okay, I think you cleared it up a little for me with this statement. So, rather that using your original point, comparing physical necessities with the "necessity of a savior," you rather claim that there is no history of a man being the divine savior? Am I correct in this analysis?
No, I stand by what I wrote originally, whatever it was.

Stuu: And there is not one eyewitness account of Jesus in existence. No one who ever saw Jesus wrote about it, as far as we can tell.
And, false. First, the Gospel according to John was composed by an Apostle of Christ.
The writer of the Gospel of John is anonymous. There is no claim within it that the writer is the person who observed Jesus.

Matthew, also, an Apostle, boasts the single closest biographical account in all of history, being written 20 years after the events described in his work (worthy of note; his Gospel account contains portions written in early Aramaic, the language of the time). Both of these men literally walked with Christ.
The writer of the Gospel of Matthew is not named, and nowhere does the author claim to be an eyewitness of Jesus. It was written in Greek, not translated from Hebrew or Aramaic. And, it was more likely written about 50 years after the alleged events it describes.

There are letters from early Romans, for example, Tacitus, writing in the early 100's AD, specifically mentioning Christ, Christ's Crucifixion by Pilate, early Christians in Jerusalem and Rome, etc.
Indeed. But they are not eyewitness accounts of Jesus.

Let us examine this claim of the Bible being historical fiction. Compare other historically accepted texts, all considered as factual. Herodotus' Histories, believed not to have been composed by Herodotus. Thucydides's History of the Peloponnesian War. Xenophon of Athens work, Hellenica. All of these ancient texts, and more, are considered to be factual historical accounts. Despite lacking peer review and outside sources. All of these detail events that are decades past.

The writings of the New Testament were composed in less than 50 years of each other. Matthew's Gospel, the author having lived with Christ, was composed between 50-55 AD.
How do you know the author of Matthew lived with Jesus? We don't even know who he or she was. It was most likely written between 80-90 CE, but 70 CE at the earliest.

Mark's Gospel, composed in 60 AD,
The writer refers to war in Judea, almost certainly the First Jewish-Roman war of 66-73CE, so it can't have been written in 60CE.

was written in Rome. Luke, a noted historian, composed his Gospel account and Acts of the Apostles in 62 (some scholars suggest 67) and 63 AD, respectively.
The authorship of the Gospel of Luke is also anonymous. It was most likely written after 80CE.

Luke's writing occurred in Rome. John's Gospel was composed latest, near the end of his life, in 98 AD, written in Ephesus. The writings of Matthew, Mark, and Luke all have the same events occurring, with claims being identical (the differences being the order of events, or the exact vocabulary used).

Early authors cite the Gospels as early as the last years of the first century. St Clement of Rome mentions the four books between 92 and 101 AD. St Ignatius of Antioch, who died around 107 AD, spoke of the four books. Papias, a bishop of Hierapolis in Asia Minor, first refers to the attributed authors of their Gospels, around 130 AD.
So now you are getting closer to reality. No corroborating mentions of the writing in 60CE, then.

When scholars speak of the "historicity" of the Gospels, they mean that the accounts are true accounts of what Christ said and did, as witnessed by various individuals. They are reporting things which were not a systematic history, but a genuine accounting of events. Using various historical sciences, scholars check the Gospel accounts using historico-critical methods by verifying them with various sources, such as pagan/secular sources, confirming the events as factual events, then crosschecking them with their religious counterparts. Thus, ensuring the historical facts being accurately represented in the Gospel accounts.
Which, whether it is right or not (and it clearly isn't), is entirely irrelevant to the point that there are no eyewitness accounts of Jesus in existence.

These methods, utilized by various scholars of varying religious or atheist backgrounds, thus proves the Bible as a historical source.
You really believe this, don't you. But you haven't refuted my point about historical fiction.

It was composed within the lifetime of the authors, and details events that they witnessed or witnessed by vast numbers of people.
Possibly. But no eyewitness accounts of Jesus.

My point with the various Herod's as rulers in the Jewish regions is that there are more than one Herod. Your claim was that Herod never required a census or tried to slaughter kids under the age of two. Which is true for one Herod, but not true for the Herod that history identifies as ruling in the first years BC.
Come on. That's just lazy. Would you like me to do the work for you??

As for the various Roman sources, there is Lucian, Josephus, and Tacitus, etc. These I believe are noted in the link from the Google search.
Sure. But none of them were eyewitnesses of Jesus though.

Who is performing this archaeology of the exodus that has produced no evidence?
Israel Finkelstein, Professor of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University.

Because, there are villages found along the supposed path of the Hebrews, bearing Jewish artifacts. There are glyphs in Egypt which depict the exodus of the Hebrews. There are several sites which bear extensive evidence of Hebrews passing through during the estimated decade of the exodus. Most historians and scholars agree that there is no evidence against the exodus. The arguments come from under which Pharaoh was ruling during this event.
How is 'no evidence against' something that never happened a credible argument?

Wald says how he believes in Spontaneous Generation, because he refuses to accept the alternate explanation of intelligent design. (a completely different topic, but I just wanted to expound upon the hypocritical nature of Wald dismissing and ignoring evidence that alludes to theories he doesn't like)
The quite satisfying thing about the failure of the Intelligent Design movement is that one of their really prized examples, that of the supposed irreducible complexity of the flagellar motor, has actually been shown to be a quite elegant example of Darwinian adaptation. The current legal status of Intelligent Design in the US, as far as I know, is that of a religion.

Historical records support the events described in the Bible. Just as historical records support the events described in Homer's Iliad. You can dismiss the supernatural influences, as that is the skeptical approach. But to deny the historical accuracy is akin to Wald, rejecting evidence that is detrimental to his preferred beliefs. When one prefers to accept falsehoods and myth, they are rejecting logic. Thus, to continue to insist that the Bible is not historically accurate, that no one witnessed Christ, or that there is no evidence to support it, then you are being illogical and preferring falsehoods and your own myths.
There are no eyewitness accounts of Jesus in existence. There are no eyewitness accounts of Homer, either. It is very likely that Homer was not a real historical person. A pretty good case has been made that Jesus wasn't an historical person either, although it looks to me that Jesus is more likely to have lived than Homer.

It doesn't matter that much to me whether these people were real or fictional characters. It must matter to you, though.

Stuart

Stuu

Of course there are christian sects that don't pay any attention to the Jewish bible, and the keeping of the so-called Old Testament in the canon probably comes down to one man, Constantine, and the events of the First Council of Nicaea. They could have just decided to leave out the Jewish bible altogether, and maybe they could have saved some bother by doing that. That Old Testament god is really brutal.

But then again it can be difficult to decide whether the Old Testament god or the New Testament god is the more unpleasant character. I think probably the New Testament one is worse, on balance.

Stuart

Stuu

You are being purposefully dull and the reason is clear.
That must be because the subject material isn't very interesting.

I know. Confirmation bias works this way. Here is how that works: EMOTE about your life, what you like and don't like, then create a world where, when confronted, you can deny anything contrary to your fantasy illusion world-view.
Yes, and that applies particularly to creationists.

Stuu: Provisional scientific knowledge is the highest quality of knowledge we have, and often the measure of that is how much respect it gets from people who work within different epistemological frameworks (in my opinions the ones that aren't as good!). 'Truth' is a personal philosophical position, not a statement of objective fact. The closest you get to objective fact is the provisional knowledge of science.
Yep.

a lot of atheist parents have Christian kids.
Citation to support that assertion, please.

Stuu: There is no actual debate about the meaning of radioisotope dating data within science, only within the circles of creationist fantasy thinking.
Incorrect. I JUST linked to a SCIENTIST who said there was a large revisiting... Either stuff your fingers in harder or pull them out.
Must have missed that link. Where was it?

Stuu: No, his fallacy of composition was to say that because the bible can be shown to be historically accurate (which it can in some respects but not all) that therefore the supernatural and other claims about Jesus should be seen to have more credibility. That is certainly the fallacy of composition.
Nope. To say that accuracy may very well reflect the integrity of authors is not a fallacy. It needs further veracity, but it is a working postulate that has meaning. AND btw, the way science works as well ("the best of our knowledge so far").
Nope. Historical accuracy does not give cause to respect supernatural claims, and science has no respect for authors. Respect is reserved for empirical evidence and little else.

Oh, I've done it, if you are up for self-analysis. You make excusing behaviors and hide behind intellectual facades instead of being truly intellectual. It is a parody of clear thinking.
You really like that word facade. But see this time, you left the cedilla off the c. Interesting. Well, more interesting than the mythology of Jesus, anyway.

You come across harsh more often than not. I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but 'caustic' is generally seen as playing the man, a form of malice, etc.
I wouldn't have taken you for being the hypersensitive sort. Perhaps they are right: giving it and taking it are skills rarely found in the same person.

We have objective truth as a living paradigm.
And the alcoholic has his drink.

Yours is relative. The room for doubt is so much less than you realize. You CAN think it confirmation bias BUT it is an incredible bias. I am VERY biased that God is there and is not silent, so much so, that there is really nothing any more, than can shake that.
Well what a stubborn, simplistic approach that is to take to anything.

I believe emphatically there are objective unchanging truths.
Good for you. The more you believe that, the more often you will be absolutely wrong.

In an analogy, a blind man 'may' question 'red.' I don't. You can never get me to question red, nor convince me my senses are faulty in claiming so. For you, I know you are up to how many people actually see red, but the numbers don't matter. This is the reality.
Well, aren't you special then.

Stuart

God's Truth

Christ obeyed God, and as a result many shall be and are made righteous Rom 5:19

19 [FONT="]For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one[Jesus Christ] shall many be made righteous.[/FONT]

There are many who obeyed God in the Old Testament. All those who belonged to God, they now had to go through Jesus to remain God's.

John 17:6 I have manifested your name unto the men that you gave me out of the world: yours they were, and you gave them to me; and they have kept your word.