Why run away from Science and trail and error?

Jamie Gigliotti

Some things in life have to tried to see if they are good. Some things need to be experienced for yourself to determine it's merrits. I can talk all day on TOL or anywhere else that the Lord is Good, but until you experience Him it sounds like gibberish. Scientists come to the point that the only way to find out the truth of an hypothesis is trail without fear of failing. You can't believe me or others, ok. But you must admit to yourself you will never know if He is good unless you try Him on for size. You may say but I don't want to know. Or I don't care to know, or just no thanks. In that case you won't know, nor will you exercise the only way you can find out. Let science be your guide.

Stuu

And what do you say to all those who have 'experienced' this god of yours and rejected it as a delusion?

I suppose they weren't True Scotsmen.

Stuart

Jamie Gigliotti

And what do you say to all those who have 'experienced' this god of yours and rejected it as a delusion?

Stuart

Either they didn't experience Him, or they lost or are losing the 'good fight of faith'. We are extremely prideful creatures and it's hard to bow and follow. I have had to fight mine and still am. We like to exercise our freedom of our own personal kingdom.

Stuu

Either they didn't experience Him, or they lost or are losing the 'good fight of faith'. We are extremely prideful creatures and it's hard to bow and follow. I have had to fight mine and still am. We like to exercise our freedom of our own personal kingdom.
I see I was right about your logical fallacy.

Stuart

Jose Fly

Some things in life have to tried to see if they are good. Some things need to be experienced for yourself to determine it's merrits. I can talk all day on TOL or anywhere else that the Lord is Good, but until you experience Him it sounds like gibberish. Scientists come to the point that the only way to find out the truth of an hypothesis is trail without fear of failing. You can't believe me or others, ok. But you must admit to yourself you will never know if He is good unless you try Him on for size. You may say but I don't want to know. Or I don't care to know, or just no thanks. In that case you won't know, nor will you exercise the only way you can find out. Let science be your guide.

Funny you should say that, because that's the sort of approach I applied. It wasn't very long before I concluded that my prayers were just me talking to myself and if things were going to happen, I had to do them myself, no gods required.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Don't do drugs, kids.

Jamie Gigliotti

Funny you should say that, because that's the sort of approach I applied. It wasn't very long before I concluded that my prayers were just me talking to myself and if things were going to happen, I had to do them myself, no gods required.
I have no idea if your trying out Jesus included your humility, your surrender, your sorrow for your sin, your devotion and your praise. It is preached that only belief that he exists is needed for His saving presence, but there is much more to it. He wants all of our love, all of us. If you study His word and you seek Him and ask that He reveal Himself and His goodness and love to you in humility and faith He will.

Jose Fly

I have no idea if your trying out Jesus included your humility, your surrender, your sorrow for your sin, your devotion and your praise. It is preached that only belief that he exists is needed for His saving presence, but there is much more to it. He wants all of our love, all of us. If you study His word and you seek Him and ask that He reveal Himself and His goodness and love to you in humility and faith He will.

How is that trial and error? That's basically saying in order to believe in Christianity, you have to first believe in Christianity with all your heart.

Have you applied this approach to other religions?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Stuart

How does one "experience" knowing someone, then be able to claim to have never met them?

Jamie Gigliotti

How is that trial and error? That's basically saying in order to believe in Christianity, you have to first believe in Christianity with all your heart.

Have you applied this approach to other religions?
Because it's all about knowing Him, and knowing requires humility, trust. Our pride keeps us from Him. Its not about believing ideas, or dogma.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
So this is rubbish?
"Taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

This verse is a joyful directive to born again believers to continually exercise their singular ability to partake of, and enjoy, God's infinite goodness.

1. You are assuming that the verb "taste" in this verse must mean a short, practical, subjective trial like wine tasting, pie judging or test driving a car. Tasting can be a sampling to test flavour as you suggest but the primary meaning is to "perceive or experience the flavour" of something and has no time limitation as is necessary with an experiment.

2. You are assuming that "taste" here is an open invitation to sample God's attributes and derive a clinical analysis of His goodness. The verse, however states emphatically 'that the Lord is good' and leaves no room for opinion. Seeing that the original is in the imperative mood, for both "taste" and "see", and there are no modifiers, it is a command and not a simple invitation. He is not open to analysis.

3. You are assuming that this directive to taste and see is open to anyone and not restricted to believers. This runs contrary to the harmony of the scriptures. Personal verification regarding God's goodness can only be made by those who have been regenerated by God's Spirit. Indeed, tasting, in this spiritual sense, can only be a savouring of God's goodness by those who, as the rest of the verse says, have taken "refuge in him" and as verse 3 says, those who are capable of exalting the name of the Lord together with David.

Yes; I suggest that only rubbish theology can come to the conclusion that the creature can, in any respect, sit in judgement on the Creator.