Why is Calvinism a Cult? by Angelfire

Robert Pate

Banned
I have been reading Margaret Thaler Singer book "Cults in Our Midst" religious cults all have one thing in common, their leaders are all the worst of humanity, Jim Jones was the devil incarnate. What he did to those people is unbelievable. You can not posses the Holy Spirit and sentence people to be burned at the stake because they don't believe the same way that you do. John Calvin was the tyrant of Geneva. He sentenced hundreds of people to prison for no reason other than that some fell asleep during one of his sermons or did some minor thing that displeased him.

I present to you... "Why is Calvinism a Cult" by Angelfire

"Calvinism is a cult for many reasons. childlike behavior is always marked by an idolatrous desire to the cult itself. This is especially true in Calvinism. You will not find in every Presbyterian or reformed Baptist to be mired down in a cult-like behavior of Calvinism. There are many people who attend Calvinist churches do so for reasons other than Calvinism and such members essentially place little emphasis on Calvinism itself. it is those people that have committed themselves to Calvinism that are caught up in the cult. These people are those that have immersed themselves in five point Calvinism and perceive it to be the gospel.

Firstly, like all other cults. Calvinist claim that all other theological systems are "false gospel." This is certainly true when it comes to their concept of salvation.

Secondly, Calvinist have a belief very similar to the Gnostics, the first cult-like group to preach heresy in the Christian church. Gnostics believed that "the elect" were those elite who comprehended the secret knowledge of god. like the Gnostics. Calvinist also believed that the elect are the only people who well accept and can comprehend Calvinism because only they are capable of understanding and accepting this knowledge. The interpret 1 Corinthians 2:14 in this way thinking that anyone who does not ultimately accept Calvinism must be a non-elect and non-regenerate persons and cannot see the mystery knowledge of Calvinism.

Thirdly, Calvinism is a cult because those who adhere to it doctrines idolize Calvinism. Now of course the Calvinist will not admit he is an idolator. how many idolators do you know who admit that they are idolators?

If you observe a Calvinist carefully and watch him work, you will see that he has little regard for the true and intended meaning of the Bible message. The only message that he will allow himself to see is the message of Calvinism. All Biblical passages are run through the Calvinist mill. Any messages that seem to be contrary to his doctrines are interpretively reworked to fit his system. Like all cults, the Calvinist will not change his beliefs under any circumstances, including the message of scripture. rather than conforming his beliefs to the bible, the Calvinist tries to conform the Bible to his beliefs. Instead of trying to understand what the bible really says, he first asks himself how any given passage will effect Calvinism. Then, instead of trying to understand the intended message of any given passage, he develops an interpretation that will suit Calvinism. thus all interpretations are custom fit to suit Calvinism rather than investigated to comprehend the meaning.

Because a Calvinist does this he is an idolator. an idolator is one that serves his idol. The Calvinist serves the idol of Calvinism. he serves his belief system first and foremost and the Bible must be interpreted to conform to his belief system. All interpretations of the Bible are subject to the whims of his idol, his God that is Calvinism. He must first consult Calvinism before he does any interpreting since any interpreting of a passage which does not meet the approval of his god, Calvinism, will never do.

For example, in the gospel of John, Calvinist interpret the word "world" in John 1:29 and John 3:16 to mean "definitely the Elect" and only the elect. But at John 17:9, they interpret the word "world" to mean "definitely not the elect" Therefore they give the exact same word "world" (Grk Kosmos) totally opposite meanings from one passage to the next. They must do this so that their idol, Calvinism, would not be pleased if they defined the word "world" at John 1:29. and 3:16. the same way that they do at John 17:9. There are myriads of examples of Calvinism just like this one. Those who are not caught up in such cults have a fluid belief system. if a Bible passage comes up that impacts their present beliefs, most people will change their beliefs to conform to the Bible. Not so with Calvinist. He approaches such thing just like a Jehovah's witness. Both the Calvinist and the Jehovah's witness serve their belief system's first and no Biblical passage is going to change them. If a Bible passage comes up that threatens their belief system, his idol, he lays awake endless nights devising an interpretation that can be made that will fit Calvinism. In such cases he never asks himself, "what does this passage really mean and does it prove that at some point Calvinism is wrong?" He never entertains such notions because he is committed to his idol rather than to God. Thus he cannot learn many passages of the Bible because he never lets it speak to him apart from prior approval of his idol, his god, Calvinism. The purpose of reading the Bible is to find out what it says and arrive at an intended meaning through understanding the context, grammar and following accepted objective interpretive principles. Most people read the Bible to discover the treasures therein. Not the Calvinist. He uses the Bible for nothing more than to please his idol. Although the Calvinist may claim he interprets any verse in its own context and follows accepted practices of interpretation, in reality his context is not the passage in question but the system of Calvinism itself and the only accepted practices of interpretation is to develop an interpretation of any given passage which does not fit or anger his god - Calvinism.

Like other cults, Calvinist do not try to coherently piece the ideas of the Bible together to arrive at the big picture such that all pieces fit in their proper place. rather they hunt down passages which seem to suit them best and either ignore or rework all other passages that do not uplift Calvinism. Thus they gather together a bunch of passages and build something for themselves - a belief system of their liking. in short, they create their own belief system rather than seeking out a belief system which the whole Bible will convey. In the end their create their own God, an idol called Calvinism, their own god."

Last edited:

theophilus

John Calvin was the tyrant of Geneva. He sentenced hundreds of people to prison for no reason other than that some fell asleep during one of his sermons or did some minor thing that displeased him.

http://www.angefire.com/realm/raised-to-life/Articles/Cult.html

Wonder what you would have thought of Paul prior to his conversion.

Or C. S. Lewis prior to his conversion.

Or me prior to mine.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
[MENTION=9508]Robert Pate[/MENTION] your link is wrong.
I have been reading Margaret Thaler Singer book "Cults in Our Midst" religious cults all have one thing in common, their leaders are all the worst of humanity, Jim Jones was the devil incarnate. What he did to those people is unbelievable. You can not posses the Holy Spirit and sentence people to be burned at the stake because they don't believe the same way that you do. John Calvin was the tyrant of Geneva. He sentenced hundreds of people to prison for no reason other than that some fell asleep during one of his sermons or did some minor thing that displeased him.

http://www.angefire.com/realm/raised-to-life/Articles/Cult.html

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

"Calvinism is a cult for many reasons. childlike behavior is always marked by an idolatrous desire to the cult iteself. This is especially true in Calvinism. You will not find in every Presbyterian or reformed Baptist to be mired down in a cult-like behavior of Calvinism. There are many people who attend Calvinist churches do so for reasons other than Calvinism and such members essentially place little emphasis on Calvinism itself. it is those people that have committed themselves to Calvinism that are caught up in the cult. These people are those that have immersed themselves in five point Calvinism and perceive it to be the gospel.

firstly, like all other cults. Calvinist claim that all other theological systems are "false gospel." This is certainly true when it comes to their concept of salvation.

Secondly, Calvinist have a belief very similar to the Gnostics, the first cult-like group to preach heresy in the Christian church. Gnostics believed that "the elect" were those elite who comprehended the secret knowledge of god. like the Gnostics. Calvinist also believed that the elect are the only people who well accept and can comprehend calvinism because only they are capable of understanding and accepting this knowledge. The interpret 1 Corinthians 2;14 in this way thinking that anyone who does not ultimately accept Calvinism must be a non-elect and non-regenerate person and cannot see the mystery knowledge of Calvinism.

thirdly, Calvinism is a cult because those who adhere to it doctrines idolize Calvinism. now of course the Calvinist will not admit he is an idolator. how many idolators do you know who admit that they are idolators?

If you observe a Calvinist carefully and watch him work, you will see that he has little regard for the true and intended meaning of the Bible message. The only message that he will allow himself to see is the message of Calvinism. All Biblical passages are run through the Calvinist mill. Any messages that seem to be contrary to his doctrines are interpretively reworked to fit his system. like call cults, the Calvinist will not change his beliefs under any circumstances, including the message of scripture. rather than conforming his beliefs to the bible, the Calvinist tries to conform the Bible to his beliefs. instead of trying to understand what the bible really says, he first asks himself how ay given passage will effect Calvinism. Then, instead of trying to understand the intended message of any given passage, he develops an interpretation that will suit Calvinism. thus all interpretations are custom fit to suit Calvinism rather than investigated to comprehend the meaning.

Because a Calvinist does this he is an idolator. an idolator is one that serves his idol. The Calvinist serves the idol of Calvinism. he serves his belief system first and foremost and the Bible must be interpreted to conform to his belief system. All interpretations of the Bible are subject to the whims of his idol, his God that is Calvinism. He mist first consult Calvinism before he does any interpreting since any interpreting of a passage which does not meet the approval of his god, Calvinism, will never do.

For example, in the gospel of John, Calvinist interpret the word "world" im John 1;29 and John 3;16 to mean "definitely the Elect" and only the elect. But at John 17;9, they interpret the word "world" to mean "definitely not the elect" Therefore they give the exact same word "world" (Grk Kosmos) totally opposite meanings from one passage to the next. They must do this so that their idol, Calvinism, would not be pleased if they defined the word "world" at John 1:29. and 3;16. the same way that they do at John 17:9. There are myriads of examples of calvinism just like this one. Those who are not caught up in such cults have a fluid belief system. if a Bible passage comes up that impacts their present beliefs, most people will change their beliefs to conform to the Bible. Not so with Calvinist. He approaches such thing just like a Jehovah's witness. Both the Calvinist and the Jehovah's witness serve their belief system's first and no Biblical passage is going to change them. If a Bible passage cones up that threatens their belief system, his idol. he lays awake awake endless nights devising an interpretation that can be made that will fit Calvinism. In such cases he never asks hinself, "what does this passage really mean and does it prove that at some point Calvinism is wrong?" He never entertains such notions because he is committed to his idol rather than to God. Thus he cannot learn many passages of the Bible because he never lets it speak to him apart from prior approval of his idol, his god, Calvinism. The purpose of reading the bible is to find out what it says and arrive at an intended meaning through understanding the context, grammar and following accepted objectives interpretive principles. Most people read the Bible to discover the treasures therein. Not the Calvinist. He uses the Bible for nothing more than to please his idol. Although the Calvinist may claim he interprets any verse in its own context and follows accepted practices of interpretation, in reality his context is not the passage in question but the system of Calvinism itself and the only accepted practices of interpretation is to develop an interpretation of any given passage which does not fit or anger his god - Calvinism.

Like other cults, Calvinist do not try to coherently piece the ideas of the Bible together to arrive at the big picture such that all pieces fit in their proper place. rather they hunt down passages which seem to suit them best and either ignore or rework all other passages that do not uplift Calvinism. Thus they gather together a bunch of passages and build something for themselves - a belief system of their liking. in short, they create their own belief system rather than seeking out a belief system which the whole Bible will convey. In the end their create their own God, an idol called Calvinism, their own god."

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/raised-to-life/Articles/Cult.html Is the correct link.

Robert Pate

Banned
This thread is to important to let it go.

I don't know who wrote this article, but it is very educational and revealing. It must have been written by a physiologist or someone with insight into religious cults.

What do you think?

Robert Pate

Banned
I've read tons of anti-Calvinist propaganda and this article isn't even good much less needed to read carefully.

If I were a Calvinist I would read everything that refuted it, and then I would find all of the scriptures that supported it. The problem is that there are very few scriptures that even appear to support it. To believe Calvinism you have to flush the glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ down the toilet.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
You really need to read the article and read it very carefully. The article exposes Calvinism for what it really is. The worship of a false God.

Pate,

Why do you think I would ever want to read any article you post, since you only want to contradict the truth and faith I have received by the love and grace of God?

None of your posting efforts hold any credibility with me at all . .

Give it up. Calvinists are faithful to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and are kept so, by His power. There is nothing you can post or say, that can change that.

Eagles Wings

If I were a Calvinist I would read everything that refuted it, and then I would find all of the scriptures that supported it. The problem is that there are very few scriptures that even appear to support it. To believe Calvinism you have to flush the glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ down the toilet.
Like you, the article is full of lies about Calvinism.

As AMR says, you're nothing but a blogger whose misinformation is exposed day in and day out.

Robert Pate

Banned
Pate,

Why do you think I would ever want to read any article you post, since you only want to contradict the truth and faith I have received by the love and grace of God?

None of your posting efforts hold any credibility with me at all . .

Give it up. Calvinists are faithful to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and are kept so, by His power. There is nothing you can post or say, that can change that.

There is no grace in a God that condemns billions to hell before they are ever born.

That is not the God of the Bible, that is the God of the devil.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Calvinism is historical, Reformed Christianity. To call it a cult is ridiculous- mind YOUR belief, which is far more applicable as being called a 'cult'. Declaring your small church the true belief from the rest of 'Babylon' is pretty damn cult-like :rolleyes:

Robert Pate

Banned
Like you, the article is full of lies about Calvinism.

As AMR says, you're nothing but a blogger whose misinformation is exposed day in and day out.

I teach and preach the "Historical Gospel" of Jesus Christ as the only means of man's salvation. It is the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19.

It is the Gospel that you have rejected and will result in your destruction.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Robert Denies Solus Christus

Robert Denies Solus Christus

I teach and preach the "Historical Gospel" of Jesus Christ as the only means of man's salvation.

Actually, Robert, you give lip-service to Solus Christus, and actually declare that one's salvation is one's own responsibility and work:

...And you and you alone are responsible for your salvation...

For more:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...redestinated&p=4851757&viewfull=1#post4851757

You are simply too pregnant with error:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...on-or-Perish&p=4845408&viewfull=1#post4845408

AMR

Last edited: