When our 'identity' is subjective...

Interplanner

Other than the particular topic (the use of bathrooms) what is the difference between our federal policy using a subjective basis for gender identity and the Nazi doctrine that 'it is our reality that Jews are not human'?

Political correctness is the stupidity that is left over after objective truth has been quit.

"When there is no longer a proper individual responsibility, then a country is not able to be ruled except by a dictator." --Klaus Bockmuehl, "Conservation and Christian Ethics". Former professor, Regent College, Vancouver. Childhood survivor of WW2.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Other than the particular topic (the use of bathrooms) what is the difference between our federal policy using a subjective basis for gender identity and the Nazi doctrine that 'it is our reality that Jews are not human'?

Political correctness is the stupidity that is left over after objective truth has been quit.

"When there is no longer a proper individual responsibility, then a country is not able to be ruled except by a dictator." --Klaus Bockmuehl, "Conservation and Christian Ethics". Former professor, Regent College, Vancouver. Childhood survivor of WW2.
The subjectivity is in the creation of "gender identity" in lieu of the more straight forward, biological reality. There's no real comparison with the Nazis, who manufactured a dragon in order to slay it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Self-identification is a pretty fundamental right. It deserves protecting.

Child rapist Jerry Sandusky agrees with you. This will be a part of his appeal. He identifies as an 8 year old boy.

Interplanner

The subjectivity is in the creation of "gender identity" in lieu of the more straight forward, biological reality. There's no real comparison with the Nazis, who manufactured a dragon in order to slay it.

But don't you see how people tend to tamper with reality?

kmoney

Hall of Fame

The difference is in who is doing the identification.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
An 8 year old will not go to prison. This your argument. Own it you faggot.

rexlunae

I think the disagreement is with gender being self-identifiable, not with the idea of self-identification.

The title of the thread is "When our 'identity' is subjective...", which by my reading, calls into question the very concept of self-identification.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
They are making a civil rights issue of it, want to warp the ideology and comfortable privacy of society, and rebuild/ make new restrooms..

To compensate for the 1% of the 1% of society, whom only 1% of have ever had perhaps a single incident in their ENTIRE life with using a public restroom.

Sorry to say it
But
There are much better things to be concerned with (as in any and everything else); there is no transsexual whose ongoing issue has ever been using a public facility.
The libs should feel stupid for having made this a problem, and I'll be more than happy to help make that happen :)

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
An 8 year old will not go to prison.

Pretty much.

There is nothing that would ever merit an eight year old getting anymore than 'juvenile life' (until they are 18), including homicide.

In fact, a few years younger and you really couldn't charge them with anything, period.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
But don't you see how people tend to tamper with reality?
I think we generate contexts all the time...but in this instance I'd say the creation of context (as opposed to a recognition of fact regardless of what we do with the fact) is mostly on the side of those who came up with the notion of gender identity, as if gender was a subjective value, something we decide upon, and not an operation of biology. We are born to a sex. Within the parameters of that sex we've constructed all sorts of contextual social niceties and expectations. A lot of that is pure invention. We aren't obliged to conform. We consent to it.

To say to yourself, "I think I'm a woman. I will conform my physical reality, to the extent possible, to that belief," is to mutilate yourself not out of necessity, but because you've first accepted the subjective context that defines what your sex must be and how it must function.

rexlunae

I think we generate contexts all the time...but in this instance I'd say the creation of context (as opposed to a recognition of fact regardless of what we do with the fact) is mostly on the side of those who came up with the notion of gender identity, as if gender was a subjective value, something we decide upon, and not an operation of biology. We are born to a sex. Within the parameters of that sex we've constructed all sorts of contextual social niceties and expectations. A lot of that is pure invention. We aren't obliged to conform. We consent to it.

To say to yourself, "I think I'm a woman. I will conform my physical reality, to the extent possible, to that belief," is to mutilate yourself not out of necessity, but because you've first accepted the subjective context that defines what your sex must be and how it must function.

That's the difference between gender and sex. Sex is the biological reality. Gender is the set of social norms that are often coupled to sex, including things like the words used to describe individuals (man, woman, he, she...). Transgender people often break that predominant coupling. Sex is, at least initially, inherently assigned by one's body, although even that isn't a strict binary. Gender, on the other hand, can be a lot more fluid, because it is more about a person's personality than hard biological reality. Nevertheless, just as you can't necessarily choose the type of personality that you have, you also can't necessarily chose a gender expression that conforms to the expectations that other people have, and for that matter, why should you be expected to?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
We ate bread for thousands of years, and now people have 'gluten allergies'. Gender and sex matched up for thousands of years, and now we have 'gender confusion'.

Of course, in the age where obesity is a dime a dozen and sexual discipline of society is virtually nil.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that bias affects science- it is only accurate if the scientists wish it to be accurate. These liberals pressure them, then go prance around talking about how 'objective' the scientific opinion was :rolleyes:

rexlunae

We ate bread for thousands of years, and now people have 'gluten allergies'. Gender and sex matched up for thousands of years, and now we have 'gender confusion'.

That's an unintentionally apt analogy. In the past, we didn't understand allergies very well, so people suffered and sometimes died from them without a coherent explanation. Sure, gluten sensitivity has become trendy to claim, but there are really people with Celiac's disease. Likewise, we know from many sources including the Bible that LGBT people have always been with us, and we've observed many aspects of different sexualities in nature. So we can be certain that it's always been a real phenomenon, and not a new one. The only things that have really changed are our acceptance of it and the fact that we study and diagnose these things.