What is Freedom?

nikolai_42

You do it - :chuckle:

The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence

I plan on doing so...but not immediately. I'm interested in what people think it is.

By your response, do you see it as fundamentally political? If not, what freedom do the founding documents point to (please be as specific as you can)?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I plan on doing so...but not immediately. I'm interested in what people think it is.

By your response, do you see it as fundamentally political? If not, what freedom do the founding documents point to (please be as specific as you can)?
Freedom of religion, freedom of speech, the pursuit of happiness, the right to bear arms etc. etc.

To have total unlimited freedom as long as we don't infringe on the rights of others nor endanger anyone.

nikolai_42

I don't care about PJ's answer to you. I was just giving my answer to you.

I understand. I'm just trying to establish some guidelines. If freedom is just a word for nothing to lose, are you saying that the freedoms fought for in the American Revolution were fought for out of desperation? In my mind, that negates conviction. Conviction is what you have in spite of having something to lose by standing for it. Granted, maybe you see a different political definition....but that's what I'm trying to determine.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I understand. I'm just trying to establish some guidelines. If freedom is just a word for nothing to lose, are you saying that the freedoms fought for in the American Revolution were fought for out of desperation? In my mind, that negates conviction. Conviction is what you have in spite of having something to lose by standing for it. Granted, maybe you see a different political definition....but that's what I'm trying to determine.
I was giving my definition of total freedom.

So I don't thing the Revolution gave us that, but it did give us more freedom than we had.

My political view on freedom is to shoot for the least amount of government possible.

nikolai_42

I was giving my definition of total freedom.

So I don't thing the Revolution gave us that, but it did give us more freedom than we had.

My political view on freedom is to shoot for the least amount of government possible.

So on a more basic level, is freedom a good thing?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you would say freedom is autonomy?
Well, sorta, but not really.

I would say freedom is no law (no rules) at all, so saying it is 'self law' doesn't seem to fit my definition.

I see real freedom as nothing to tie you down, nothing binding you, no bondage to anything.
(Of course within reason. I mean you are still going to be 'bound' by gravity.)

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Define true freedom and give a general outline of what it looks like, practically.
I don't know what true freedom is, but I'll take a crack at false freedom.

False freedom to me would be feeling as if you are truly free, and in actuality, only carrying out someone's clever and tricky plans for me, which involved deceiving me into thinking that I was doing my own will, but was in fact deceived, like Eve.

So true freedom's got to be the opposite of that, I would think.