What is a Soul Worth?

Silent Hunter

The fact that God's Son died for you means that your soul is of infinite value to God.
First, it isn't a "fact" that Jesus did anything for anyoune, it's your religious belief. Second, yeah, that's what your OP says. What of it?
To reject God's great free gift of salvation that has been provided for you by the doing and the dying of Jesus is what will bring God's wrath upon you.
Why? You see, this brings us right back to post #2, which you avoided:

So, I wonder, why would your deity "punish" billions of people in "hell" for the "sin" of simply not believing he exists if a "soul" has such great value? It doesn't make sense. Would you put down a dog having infinite value for the "sin" of peeing on your shoe?

Meanwhile, the other questions concerning your OP continue to go unanswered or should I just accept that you never will answer them?

Does a "soul" have "infinite value on its own or does "the dying of Jesus" give it value? If the latter, how so? If a "soul" has infinite value on its own what was the point of Jesus' "sacrifice"?

Or perhaps this one to Nick,

How is it a problem? Exactly what makes separation from your version of deity problematic? Did it matter before you existed? If it didn't, what makes oblivion after this life any different than it was before you were born?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Does a "soul" have "infinite value on its own or does "the dying of Jesus" give it value? If the latter, how so? If a "soul" has infinite value on its own what was the point of Jesus' "sacrifice"?

Because each soul has infinite value Jesus died to pay the penalty of the second death for those who will choose life. For souls of infinite value who choose death Jesus does not matter.

Ben Masada

According to the Lord Jesus Christ, a soul is worth dying for.

And according to Logic, a soul is worth a person with his or her breath of life. How about reviewing here what you know about the soul? When the Lord formed man from the dust of the earth, He breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and he became a living soul. To become is to be, not to have. That is what the soul is, a person with his or her breath of life. In other words, we don't have souls; we are souls. (Genesis 2:7)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
When the Lord formed man from the dust of the earth, He breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and he became a living soul.

Yes, without the breath of life a person is not a living soul, the person is then a dead soul.

The soul that sins, it shall die. (Ezekiel 18:4)

Silent Hunter

Because each soul has infinite value Jesus died to pay the penalty of the second death for those who will choose life. For souls of infinite value who choose death Jesus does not matter.
From the OP:
A soul is of infinite value to God because Christ died for every soul that has been born upon the face of the earth.
A "soul" has infinite value to your concept of deity, right? So, I wonder, why would your deity "punish" millions (billions) of people in "hell" for the "sin" of simply not believing he exists if a "soul" has such great value? It doesn't make sense. Would you put down a dog having infinite value for the "sin" of peeing on your shoe?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
How is it a problem?Exactly what makes separation from your version of deity problematic? Did it matter before you existed? If it didn't, what makes oblivion after this life any different than it was before you were born?

So, you claim that we know nothing before we are born and we will know nothing after we die?

Silent Hunter

So, you claim that we know nothing before we are born and we will know nothing after we die?
Perhaps you misunderstand, although you seem to get the gist. Let'see if I can clarify...

Exactly what makes separation from your version of deity problematic? Did it matter before you existed? If it didn't, what makes oblivion (nonexistence) after this life any different than the oblivion (nonexistence) you "experienced" before you were born? In other words, what is wrong with nonexistence? Did nonexistence matter to you before you lived? If not, why should it be a worry for you after you die? Are you just that afraid of death? :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Waiting on lunch, so...
Exactly what makes separation from your version of deity problematic? Did it matter before you existed? If it didn't, what makes oblivion (nonexistence) after this life any different than the oblivion (nonexistence) you "experienced" before you were born?
If you don't exist after death there will be no worry in it, but everything in our makeup compels us to survive, to propagate and continue in any way that we can. It's a biological imperative. It's a psychological one too.

One of the problems with atheism is that it is by nature defeatist, imagining or accepting the worst possible outcome of existence, that it's finite and without a larger purpose. That runs contrary to even a cursory study of man's nature.

In other words, what is wrong with nonexistence?
It's valueless. Even if I hadn't become an initiate of the experience of God, I suspect that at some point I'd have adopted an intellectual belief, all things being equal in a general sense and faith having more value as a context.

Did nonexistence matter to you before you lived? If not, why should it be a worry for you after you die? Are you just that afraid of death?
It's irrational to not be afraid of death if you're an atheist and equally irrational to fear it if you aren't. Everyone fears the nature of their death, which doesn't tend to be pleasant.

Ben Masada

Yes, without the breath of life a person is not a living soul, the person is then a dead soul. The soul that sins, it shall die. (Ezekiel 18:4)

Nobody dies for having sinned. We die because we have been born. If it weren't so, what would be left to say of thousands of babes who die every day on earth without even knowing what sin is? Death is only a natural event in the life of man. Three are the natural events: Birth, life and death; nothing to do with sin. Unless, in some countries one must die for having committed a capital crime.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
From the OP:A "soul" has infinite value to your concept of deity, right? So, I wonder, why would your deity "punish" millions (billions) of people in "hell" for the "sin" of simply not believing he exists if a "soul" has such great value? It doesn't make sense. Would you put down a dog having infinite value for the "sin" of peeing on your shoe?

The value of a dog is set by its owner just like the value any other property. Dogs were not created in God's likeness and image. God has infinite value and so his children and potential children have infinite value.

Hell is an archaic word for the grave. You're right that billions of people have died, so what? They won't stay dead.

Silent Hunter

Even when I think that I can't be misunderstood someone always comes along to prove me wrong.
The value of a dog is set by its owner just like the value any other property.
I think you are purposefully misunderstanding the analogy. If YOU valued a dog at $100,000,000,000,000 (100 trillion dollar) would you kill it for peeing on your shoe?
Dogs were not created in God's likeness and image. God has infinite value and so his children and potential children have infinite value.
If you say so.
Hell is an archaic word for the grave.
I don't care and it doesn't add to the discussion.
You're right that billions of people have died, so what?
That's kind of my point. So what?!?
They won't stay dead.
Please! Not ANOTHER zombie apocalypse movie!!

Silent Hunter

Hi Townie. We haven't spoken in a while. I've not seen posts from you for some time and I miss the saner side of christianity. I haven't been around much until recently and I understand you have been away as well. It's nice to see you again.
If you don't exist after death there will be no worry in it, but everything in our makeup compels us to survive, to propagate and continue in any way that we can. It's a biological imperative. It's a psychological one too.
You'll get no disagreement from me on this point. A biological imperative? Sure. I have four kids. How's Jack and does he have a sister yet?
One of the problems with atheism is that it is by nature defeatist, imagining or accepting the worst possible outcome of existence, that it's finite and without a larger purpose. That runs contrary to even a cursory study of man's nature.
How is recognizing/acknowledging death defeatist? Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE dies; there are no exceptions. Death isn't the "worst possible outcome of existence", it is the ONLY outcome anyone has ever known. Man's "nature" won't change the reality nor will wishful thinking.
It's valueless. Even if I hadn't become an initiate of the experience of God, I suspect that at some point I'd have adopted an intellectual belief, all things being equal in a general sense and faith having more value as a context.[/wuote]Although christians tell me all the time, my life isn't valueless or meaningless. WE give our existence meaning, to say otherwise, from my opinion, is defeatist.
It's irrational to not be afraid of death if you're an atheist and equally irrational to fear it if you aren't. Everyone fears the nature of their death, which doesn't tend to be pleasant.
You'll get no disagreement from me on this point either. While I agree that it is irrational to fear death, many people, and I think christians are the majority, fear death to an highly irrational degree (you've smart enough to know what I mean).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hi Townie. We haven't spoken in a while. I've not seen posts from you for some time and I miss the saner side of christianity. I haven't been around much until recently and I understand you have been away as well.
I post in bursts, but yeah, I'm not around nearly as much. Going after a Masters in Ed. and that takes up a lot of the time I don't spend with Jack and helping with his summer camp activities.

It's nice to see you again.
Likewise. I hope you're well and your absence signals a full and interesting life. :cheers:

You'll get no disagreement from me on this point. A biological imperative? Sure. I have four kids. How's Jack and does he have a sister yet?
Jack is amazing and too smart for my own good. :) No siblings. He's the shooting match. At this point, by the time they would be old enough to play he'd be largely beyond wanting to and he likes the benefits of only child status. That said, he's informed me that he may have as many as six children of his own. :plain:

How is recognizing/acknowledging death defeatist?
It isn't, but an atheist does more than that. Everyone dies, it's how we meet it, our contextual approach to it, etc., that I'm speaking to, the essential nihilism at the heart of atheist posit is defeatist in comparison with, say, the Christian notion that life is inherently valuable, meaningful and purposed beyond this finite and fleeting moment.

Death isn't the "worst possible outcome of existence", it is the ONLY outcome anyone has ever known.
Death as extinction is the worst among alternatives and that's the distinction. A Christian would argue, as would the apostles, that you're mistaken. Or, that's the divide.

Man's "nature" won't change the reality nor will wishful thinking.
The underlying dispute being over who is wishing and for what.

Although christians tell me all the time, my life isn't valueless or meaningless. WE give our existence meaning, to say otherwise, from my opinion, is defeatist.
It's really another way of distinguishing between the belief in a purpose independent of our will or whim, and the notion that purpose is a construct we use to frame our time. Or, even the most interesting and intrinsically rewarding job is better when you understand you'll also get paid for it. And there are things you have to accept when you accept a finite existence that should rankle a fair mind, like the idea of villains going unpunished and good people striving and dying meeting the same or worse ends with no recourse.

You may think that's simply the way life goes, but I'd say that given you can't Empirically know that to be the case, accepting it is defeatist. I'd rather give the notion of an indifferent mechanism the metaphysical middle finger, at worst.

You'll get no disagreement from me on this point either. While I agree that it is irrational to fear death, many people, and I think christians are the majority, fear death to an highly irrational degree (you've smart enough to know what I mean).
Well, Christians are the majority of people in this country and the West, but I'd say people mostly fear the process, which is understandable. A Christian who fears death itself isn't really thinking through his premise.

Good to see you. :e4e: Also, if that got a little ratty, it's been a very long, hot day in the fields. Mea culpa.

Silent Hunter

I post in bursts, but yeah, I'm not around nearly as much. Going after a Masters in Ed. and that takes up a lot of the time I don't spend with Jack and helping with his summer camp activities.
Hey, good job continuing in school and staying active with the kids! There's nothing more enjoyable and rewarding.
Likewise. I hope you're well and your absence signals a full and interesting life.
Doing great! We left Ohio for south Florida almost a year ago for easier work and higher pay. Fishing every weekend and doing astronomy (12" telescope) on the more frequent clear nights. The warmer weather is a plus too! It's great being back in the South!
Jack is amazing and too smart for my own good. No siblings. He's the shooting match. At this point, by the time they would be old enough to play he'd be largely beyond wanting to and he likes the benefits of only child status. That said, he's informed me that he may have as many as six children of his own.
I know what you mean. Jack's in school by now if I've got my dates right, they grow up fast. Mine are grown and on their own. You can't wait for them to leave and hate it when they do.
It isn't, but an atheist does more than that. Everyone dies, it's how we meet it, our contextual approach to it, etc., that I'm speaking to, the essential nihilism at the heart of atheist posit is defeatist in comparison with, say, the Christian notion that life is inherently valuable, meaningful and purposed beyond this finite and fleeting moment.
Atheists don't think life is valuable, meaningful, and has purpose? That's news to me (and no doubt to all of similar persuasion). That we don't delude ourselves into wishfully wanting a life extension beyond what we can possibly know isn't "defeat", it's acceptance.
Death as extinction is the worst among alternatives and that's the distinction. A Christian would argue, as would the apostles, that you're mistaken. Or, that's the divide.
One can WISH that death isn't the end of existence all they want. Wishing something is true doesn't make it so. That doesn't make me a nihilist, it makes me a realist.
The underlying dispute being over who is wishing and for what.
Do you think that I WISH the christian concept of deity and an afterlife isn't true? Why not wish the Buddhist concept of reincarnation be true, it's equally as valid as christianity. I'm big on what is and what is possible to change, not what I wish were true or something I can do nothing about.
It's really another way of distinguishing between the belief in a purpose independent of our will or whim, and the notion that purpose is a construct we use to frame our time. Or, even the most interesting and intrinsically rewarding job is better when you understand you'll also get paid for it. And there are things you have to accept when you accept a finite existence that should rankle a fair mind, like the idea of villains going unpunished and good people striving and dying meeting the same or worse ends with no recourse.
This is an interesting philosophical construct. Whoever said life was fair? Statistically, bad/good things happen to "good" and "bad" people equally. Bad people go unpunished and good people go unrewarded; it's called life. Does that take away how valuable, meaningful, and purposeful an athiest's life is because life isn't fair? That I am certain that this life is all there is and nothing more after only makes those adjectives that much more impotrant.
You may think that's simply the way life goes, but I'd say that given you can't Empirically know that to be the case, accepting it is defeatist. I'd rather give the notion of an indifferent mechanism the metaphysical middle finger, at worst.
Dismissing something we can't possibly know over something we know with certainty isn't defeatist, it's looking at life from reality. Don't attempt to show me some metaphysical construct of what you'd like "god" to be; show me "god" and I'm certain I'll change my mind.
Well, Christians are the majority of people in this country and the West, but I'd say people mostly fear the process, which is understandable. A Christian who fears death itself isn't really thinking through his premise.
I agee, no "true christian" should fear death but they do anyway.

Always a pleasure,

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hey, good job continuing in school and staying active with the kids! There's nothing more enjoyable and rewarding.
If I never walk into another courtroom I won't be sorry. :) And when I stopped by the 1st grade class I'd been observing in (camping really) I was mobbed. :eek: My teacher (and a good friend) gave up trying to reign them in and just grinned at me.

Doing great! We left Ohio for south Florida almost a year ago for easier work and higher pay. Fishing every weekend and doing astronomy (12" telescope) on the more frequent clear nights. The warmer weather is a plus too! It's great being back in the South!
Happy for you. :cheers: Haven't been back to the keys in a while. Maybe when Jack is a little older. I'm from Florida, originally. I'm not sure if you knew that.

I know what you mean. Jack's in school by now if I've got my dates right, they grow up fast. Mine are grown and on their own. You can't wait for them to leave and hate it when they do.
Jack is in preschool, headed for kindergarten next, though when they test him I think we're going to have a conversation about upward mobility and if that's a good idea, socially speaking. He's reading a few years beyond his peers and I've had him doing basic math. A very sharp knife. He may cut me to pieces with it at some point. For now, I'm mostly laughing with him.

Atheists don't think life is valuable, meaningful, and has purpose?
Rather, atheists can construct something along those lines, but their context is just that, that what they've done is constructing something and that can't be lost on them, subconsciously or more openly in consideration. So, I can believe that I serve an absolute and objectively independent good and the end of that good and an atheist simply can't. It's a contextual difference with impact.

That we don't delude ourselves into wishfully wanting a life extension beyond what we can possibly know isn't "defeat", it's acceptance.
When you accept a negative outcome that you don't know to be true, it's defeatist. You can't know that I'm wrong. You may, in the absence of what seems to you compelling evidence, choose to withhold belief, but the moment you do more than that you're investing faith in something. And nihilism is a wan thing to invest in.

One can WISH that death isn't the end of existence all they want. Wishing something is true doesn't make it so.
Wishing is for people who mean to bring something into existence. Faith is for people who believe they were brought into existence by something.

Do you think that I WISH the christian concept of deity and an afterlife isn't true?
I think you've chosen a perspective. I don't think wishing enters into it for either of us.

Why not wish the Buddhist concept of reincarnation be true, it's equally as valid as christianity.
Is it? By what metric do we decide that? And how the blazes can you get Buddhism right and keep missing the fact that Christianity is every bit as proper a noun? :chuckle: If I had a nickle for every atheist I know who does that...or better yet, if I could get them to a poker table. :think:

I'm big on what is and what is possible to change, not what I wish were true or something I can do nothing about.
I'd bet I could argue you into accepting that there are all sorts of things you can't actually know that you still believe are true, that you rest on for any number of things in your life. Your own premise, for starters...and I'd suggest that one of the things that you can still change is your mind on the topic. But I suspect it will take a good shaking by God, or something similarly transformative/transformational (depending on your view) to manage it.

This is an interesting philosophical construct. Whoever said life was fair?
In my context, God. But beyond who said is the desire in most human beings for justice, at least where mercy is wasted as measures go. To accept without necessity the idea or context for living where evil is often rewarded and the innocent harmed without recourse is begging for a sort of emotional or spiritual dissonance in the background of your thinking and deciding.

Statistically, bad/good things happen to "good" and "bad" people equally.
A Christian would say the rain falls on the just and the unjust, but that there is an accounting that no man escapes absent mercy and what accompanies it.

Bad people go unpunished and good people go unrewarded; it's called life. Does that take away how valuable, meaningful, and purposeful an athiest's life is because life isn't fair?
I think it depends on the person. For you, I'd say it would have to. Because you're rational and caring. For someone who was selfish enough and indifferent enough, no. I doubt it would matter. Say, for a good bit of Congress.

That I am certain that this life is all there is and nothing more after only makes those adjectives that much more impotrant.
You can be a rational atheist or you can be a certain atheist, but you can't be both.

Dismissing something we can't possibly know over something we know with certainty isn't defeatist, it's looking at life from reality. Don't attempt to show me some metaphysical construct of what you'd like "god" to be; show me "god" and I'm certain I'll change my mind. I agee, no "true christian" should fear death but they do anyway.
The first part is in God's hands and I'll continue to hope for you in that respect, like you in any event. On the last, we differ. I don't think most Christians fear death, only dying, which is true of all men.

Always a pleasure
Be well, my friend and my absolute best to your family.

Ben Masada

Yes, without the breath of life a person is not a living soul, the person is then a dead soul.

The soul that sins, it shall die. (Ezekiel 18:4)

This is only an analogical reference to the law of cause and effect. One cannot suffer for another the consequences of a transgression but only the one who broke the law must be held liable. This is only a new
item valid from the day the New Covenant was established and mediated by Ezra soon after the return of the Jews from the 70 years exile in Babylon.

Silent Hunter

If I never walk into another courtroom I won't be sorry. And when I stopped by the 1st grade class I'd been observing in (camping really) I was mobbed. My teacher (and a good friend) gave up trying to reign them in and just grinned at me.
Oh, come on, you know you miss being in court. It's no secret that you treat TOL as a surrogate :). I did time (court ordered by my wife, LOL) as an aide on my off time from work when my kids were in kg. It was fun but I had the same experience you had/have. Dads don't usually show up at school to help out or "observe" and, since dads are often thought of by kids as the "fun" parent, mahem often skips the insurance commercials.
Happy for you. Haven't been back to the keys in a while. Maybe when Jack is a little older. I'm from Florida, originally. I'm not sure if you knew that.
Thanks. The Keys are nice but a two-lane road mades getting anywhere problematic. I was last at Scout Key (next to Big Pine Key) for an annual week long "star party" last February, the skies were spectacular! As I recall, you live near Mobile though I didn't know that you started out in Florida. I'm from near Birmingham, sweet home.
Jack is in preschool, headed for kindergarten next, though when they test him I think we're going to have a conversation about upward mobility and if that's a good idea, socially speaking. He's reading a few years beyond his peers and I've had him doing basic math. A very sharp knife. He may cut me to pieces with it at some point. For now, I'm mostly laughing with him.
Your son is a big chip, luckily he has his mom's looks and brains :chuckle:. There's volumes I could write about my kids but in the spirit of brevity, no father could be prouder of who they are and what they have accomplished.
Rather, atheists can construct something along those lines, but their context is just that, that what they've done is constructing something and that can't be lost on them, subconsciously or more openly in consideration. So, I can believe that I serve an absolute and objectively independent good and the end of that good and an atheist simply can't. It's a contextual difference with impact.
I can't see how what christians belief is any less a construct. You're going to have a tough row to hoe to show that your "indepent good" is "absolute and objective". How does one BELIEVE in something objective? Belief belies the objective. You can believe your deity exists but you can't objectively show it to anyone nor can you demonstrate that it is the source of value, meaning and purpose in the universe.
When you accept a negative outcome that you don't know to be true, it's defeatist. You can't know that I'm wrong. You may, in the absence of what seems to you compelling evidence, choose to withhold belief, but the moment you do more than that you're investing faith in something. And nihilism is a wan thing to invest in.
Conversely, when you propose a "positive" that you can't know to be true, it's wishful thinking. I don't accept that death being absolute is necessarily negative; it just is. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, remember the atheist has no burden of proof here, an atheistic (skeptical) position is reasonable and rational. The absence of certainty isn't faith. Life ends, that's certain; expecting an afterlife, that's faith.
Wishing is for people who mean to bring something into existence. Faith is for people who believe they were brought into existence by something.
This is sort of a distinction without a difference. How does the bible describe faith?*"Now faith is the substance of things hoped (wished) for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1. Absent evidence, I'm of the opinion that skepticism is more reasonable.
1) I think you've chosen a perspective. 2) I don't think wishing enters into it for either of us.
1) Haven't you? 2) For one of us at least ;).
Is it? By what metric do we decide that?
By the same criteria you've decided on the validity of christianity, none at all. You can't objectively show Buddhism false any more than you can objectively show christianity to be true.
And how the blazes can you get Buddhism right and keep missing the fact that Christianity is every bit as proper a noun? If I had a nickle for every atheist I know who does that...or better yet, if I could get them to a poker table.
Auto fill and that I'm working from a cell phone and that I don't capitalize "atheism" (some here say it's a religion), but mostly because it annoys picky christians. :e4e:
I'd bet I could argue you into accepting that there are all sorts of things you can't actually know that you still believe are true, that you rest on for any number of things in your life. Your own premise, for starters...and I'd suggest that one of the things that you can still change is your mind on the topic. But I suspect it will take a good shaking by God, or something similarly transformative/transformational (depending on your view) to manage it.
My premise is rock solid absent evidence otherwise. Think of it as a scientific theory, falsify it. As I said, show me "god" and I'm certain I'll change my mind.
In my context, God. But beyond who said is the desire in most human beings for justice, at least where mercy is wasted as measures go. To accept without necessity the idea or context for living where evil is often rewarded and the innocent harmed without recourse is begging for a sort of emotional or spiritual dissonance in the background of your thinking and deciding.
Sure, humans long for justice and absent sufficient reparation in life desire compensation for wrongdoing after death, which takes many forms depending on the culture. The christian believes recompense will be made for, to, and by a "just god". It's a nice notion and one many atheists, even I, could/would support for the more infamous in history. Alas, we don't/can't know if that fate awaits. The certainty is that their evil is gone when they die.
A Christian would say the rain falls on the just and the unjust, but that there is an accounting that no man escapes absent mercy and what accompanies it.
Another nice notion that lacks something.
I think it depends on the person. For you, I'd say it would have to. Because you're rational and caring. For someone who was selfish enough and indifferent enough, no. I doubt it would matter. Say, for a good bit of Congress.
I'd venture to say that good christians and good atheists populate Earth in equal proportions, except in government. The difference is the "good" atheist is "good" for the sake of their fellow man; the christian is "good" because of a perceived "accounting that no man escapes absent mercy".
You can be a rational atheist or you can be a certain atheist, but you can't be both.
You can be a rational christian or you can be a certain christian, but you can't be both. Death is certain; an afterlife, not so much absent faith. Are you certain your version of deity exists? If so, you can't be thinking rationally.
The first part is in God's hands and I'll continue to hope for you in that respect, like you in any event. On the last, we differ. I don't think most Christians fear death, only dying, which is true of all men.
Thank you for your concern though unnecessary, I don't give much thought to the christian version of "god" beyond conversations here. I do value our friendship.
Be well, my friend and my absolute best to your family.
Thank you, my best to yours as well. Have a safe 4th. Roll Tide!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh, come on, you know you miss being in court. It's no secret that you treat TOL as a surrogate :). I did time (court ordered by my wife, LOL) as an aide on my off time from work when my kids were in kg. It was fun but I had the same experience you had/have. Dads don't usually show up at school to help out or "observe" and, since dads are often thought of by kids as the "fun" parent, mahem often skips the insurance commercials.Thanks. The Keys are nice but a two-lane road mades getting anywhere problematic. I was last at Scout Key (next to Big Pine Key) for an annual week long "star party" last February, the skies were spectacular! As I recall, you live near Mobile though I didn't know that you started out in Florida. I'm from near Birmingham, sweet home.Your son is a big chip, luckily he has his mom's looks and brains :chuckle:. There's volumes I could write about my kids but in the spirit of brevity, no father could be prouder of who they are and what they have accomplished.
Excellent. I think we are similarly fortunate men, to have married above us and feasted on the fruits of good fortune.

I can't see how what christians belief is any less a construct.
You'd have to approach it that way, but you also have to recognize that we don't. That distinction is important, with or without either of us being able to empirically move the point.

You're going to have a tough row to hoe to show that your "indepent good" is "absolute and objective".
It's really just another way of renaming the divide. If God/then. If not/then.

How does one BELIEVE in something objective? Belief belies the objective
I believe in the value of science. I know the scientific method works. The latter does not inherently promote the former. In fact, were you a survivor of Hiroshima you might not find the former palatable at all. I believe that I exist. Can I prove to you that I do? Can I know that you exist?

You can believe your deity exists but you can't objectively show it to anyone nor can you demonstrate that it is the source of value, meaning and purpose in the universe.
And no atheist living or dead has ever met the challenge of supplying an objective standard that, if met, would satisfy on the point...which is no real condemnation, given the empirical cannot adequately address it. If God/then the rest follows.

Conversely, when you propose a "positive" that you can't know to be true, it's wishful thinking.
No, it's faith. I made the distinction. I'm not attempting to produce God, but recognizing what I believe is the reality of him. To someone who stands outside of that faith it would be, if they desired it but were unconvinced, a wish.

I don't accept that death being absolute is necessarily negative; it just is.
But it isn't just in any sense. Or, you can accept, if you like, that death is inevitable, but you will not convince me (or, I think, yourself) that life isn't preferable within your context. And if life is preferable then the alternative is lesser.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, remember the atheist has no burden of proof here, an atheistic (skeptical) position is reasonable and rational.
A man who looks for evidence in the dark isn't really looking for anything but darkness. Or, we can only know, at the foundation, that God either is or isn't. But we cannot live by that state. The moment we make a moral choice we begin the process of choosing our context.

The absence of certainty isn't faith.
I'd agree. Faith is believing in a thing you can't prove. That faith can be affirmational in nature or nihilistic.

Life ends, that's certain; expecting an afterlife, that's faith.
Absolutely. As is saying there is no God and no afterlife. Any proposition that can't be objectively, independently verified is a statement of faith. And everyone will make their statement, by word and/or deed.

Absent evidence, I'm of the opinion that skepticism is more reasonable.
There isn't a lack of evidence, only a want of irrefutable proof, outside the experience of God, which is inherently subjective. I don't, however, find skepticism reasonable if it leads to an inferior choice in life context, one at odds with human imperatives and does so without proof, only faith resting on the lack of experience of a thing, which if experienced could never be used to satisfy the standard no one can arrive at. :)

Life.

1) Haven't you?
Of course I've chosen a context. Well, accepted then. My case is a bit peculiar.

2) For one of us at least ;)
Well then, we both have faith in you and God will suffice for me if you're unable. :)

By the same criteria you've decided on the validity of christianity, none at all.
Now that's a disappointing presumption, but no. That's not really how it happened. Also, Christianity is still a proper noun...and if you can't manage that you might want to rethink how objectively you're approaching my faith...it's no mortal wound or even particularly offensive to me, but it is a bit silly.

You can't objectively show Buddhism false any more than you can objectively show christianity to be true.Auto fill and that I'm working from a cell phone and that I don't capitalize "atheism" (some here say it's a religion), but mostly because it annoys picky christians.
I think it puts you in worse company than you deserve, but I won't belabor it.

My premise is rock solid absent evidence otherwise. Think of it as a scientific theory, falsify it. As I said, show me "god" and I'm certain I'll change my mind.
I think that anyone who asks for a thing should be able to name what it is they're asking for, supra.

Sure, humans long for justice and absent sufficient reparation in life desire compensation for wrongdoing after death, which takes many forms depending on the culture. The christian believes recompense will be made for, to, and by a "just god".
A Christian believes in consequence. Justice is the working of a moral consequence. But we also believe in mercy and the transformational power of grace.

It's a nice notion and one many atheists, even I, could/would support for the more infamous in history. Alas, we don't/can't know if that fate awaits. The certainty is that their evil is gone when they die. Another nice notion that lacks something.
An incomplete picture that lacks the context Christians bring to it. A Christian would rather Hitler had repented and been reconciled to God, but absent grace, he must stand in his sin and be judged by it.

I'd venture to say that good christians and good atheists populate Earth in equal proportions, except in government.
There are no atheists in the government hole...or something like that. ;)

The difference is the "good" atheist is "good" for the sake of their fellow man; the christian is "good" because of a perceived "accounting that no man escapes absent mercy".
Where I'd say the atheist serves his ego (doing what he wills to serve what he values) and the faithful serve the judge of their egos (doing what He wills to serve what He values). But setting that aside, I don't do good to escape judgment. My sins have been accounted for. Rather, I seek my pleasure in His pleasure and find it there. By way of, today I washed and cared for this little, ancient Presbyterian church I attend. I found the service both physically draining and spiritually uplifting. I wasn't looking for gain from it outside of the pleasure of being of service. Wonderful time, though I shouldn't have started as late as I did given the weather.

You can be a rational christian or you can be a certain christian, but you can't be both.
That doesn't follow. An atheist cannot claim to know more than he can prove. He can at best be uncertain. If he steps outside of that he is being irrational by his own light...A Christian is certain in his subjective experience of God. He isn't making an empirical judgment or claim because he understands empiricism can no more settle the question than I can boil a potato with my hands. It isn't the premise of Christianity that only that which is empirically demonstrable is true.

Are you certain your version of deity exists? If so, you can't be thinking rationally.
I differ. It is rational, where one must choose between contexts, neither of which is demonstrably true, to choose the context that offers the best possible outcome and the better course else. My belief aligns with my nature, its imperatives, and the things that spring from them, like that desire for justice. To be fair, again, I didn't come to faith in contemplation, like Lewis, but as I say from time to time, while I did not reason my way to faith I find my faith at every point defensible by that faculty.

Thank you for your concern though unnecessary,
Within my context it is a necessary concern, but I appreciate the sentiment. I'll keep you in my prayers and trust God for the rest.

I do value our friendship.Thank you, my best to yours as well. Have a safe 4th. Roll Tide!
I knew you were a member of some faith. :chuckle: Have a wonderful 4th. :cheers:

marhig

That's not what you said in your OP nor is it an answer to my questions, it borders on Pascal's wager. Here are my prior post questions:

So, I wonder, why would your deity "punish" billions of people in "hell" for the "sin" of simply not believing he exists if a "soul" has such great value? It doesn't make sense. Would you put down a dog having infinite value for the "sin" of peeing on your shoe?

Does a "soul" have "infinite value on its own or does "the dying of Jesus" give it value? If a "soul" has infinite value on its own what was the point of Jesus' "sacrifice"?

We are all of value to God, that's why he sent Jesus save us, he wants us all back.

We go down to the depths of hell through our own lusts and desires, the more we love the world and the things of the flesh, the more we sin and the deeper into darkness we go. If we live by the will of the flesh we will remain dead in the flesh, but if we are dead in Christ we are set free, we are free from the chains of Satan and hell and the desires of this world are gone. We must die daily to be alive in God, God doesn't want to see us living our life in the flesh, he wants see his sons life in us and through us. Showing love, mercy and kindness to those around us, and with the hope of bringing others to Christ and them knowing the living God.

A dead man in a grave is in pure darkness, being dead he cannot see or hear, but the living who have been pulled out of the depths walk in the light. Those who are Christs are no longer dead and in darkness, but they walk in the light and see and hear clearly

Silent Hunter

You'd have to approach it that way, but you also have to recognize that we don't. That distinction is important, with or without either of us being able to empirically move the point.
That's the christian refuses to acknowledge this (that christianity is a construct) doesn't make it any less so, distinction or no. The testable evidence suggests there is no afterlife. If you have evidence to test not in consideration beyond "this book I have says so" or "I believe and have faith X is so", or "this philosophical argument proposes" science is waiting.
It's really just another way of renaming the divide. If God/then. If not/then.
Well, no, it's not. You believe something exists based on, essentially, you choose to believe it does. I am free to be skeptical of such a clam without having faith or evidence as proof it doesn't.
I believe in the value of science. I know the scientific method works. The latter does not inherently promote the former. In fact, were you a survivor of Hiroshima you might not find the former palatable at all. I believe that I exist. Can I prove to you that I do? Can I know that you exist?
Being a victim of what we both agree is a horrible weapon does not negate the value of science. It calls into question the subjective morality of using such a device but not the value of science and our ability to peacefully use nuclear energy. The scientific method works because it can be objectively shown to produce predictable, reliable, and repeatable results, therefore WE believe, trust, and have "faith" in the value of science.
And no atheist living or dead has ever met the challenge of supplying an objective standard that, if met, would satisfy on the point...which is no real condemnation, given the empirical cannot adequately address it. If God/then the rest follows.
This attempts to shift the burden of proof of which the atheist/agnostic has no burden. Since no one can provide an adequate objective standard for value, meaning, purpose, morality or any of a host of subjective concepts then "god"? I ask again, how is that not a construct, because the christian paradigm makes the claim its not?
No, it's faith. I made the distinction. I'm not attempting to produce God, but recognizing what I believe is the reality of him. To someone who stands outside of that faith it would be, if they desired it but were unconvinced, a wish.
You have faith in a reality you self-constructed you can't objectively demonstrate. As "someone who stands outside of that faith" it sounds like self-delusion, your mileage may vary.
But it isn't just in any sense. Or, you can accept, if you like, that death is inevitable, but you will not convince me (or, I think, yourself) that life isn't preferable within your context. And if life is preferable then the alternative is lesser.
What does justice have to do with the reality of death? Did I read you right? It doesn't follow that "life" is preferable to death therefore an afterlife exists. Quite a few atheists, myself included, would contend oblivion is preferable to the boredom of eternal life servicing an (insert your list of atributes you believe your deity posesses here) "being" who, possessing such attributes, shouldn't even care about you anyway. If one is dead, explain how one would know the difference anyway.
A man who looks for evidence in the dark isn't really looking for anything but darkness.
... or a light switch.
Or, we can only know, at the foundation, that God either is or isn't. But we cannot live by that state. The moment we make a moral choice we begin the process of choosing our context.
I don't know isn't an option? Sitting on the fence might separete my cheeks a bit but I'd rather be wrong for the right reason (sincere and justifiable skepticism) than right for the wrong reason (blind faith, or, as they say in Frostbite Falls, because I'd really, really, really like my belief to be true).
I'd agree. Faith is believing in a thing you can't prove. That faith can be affirmational in nature or nihilistic.
Or something else. It isn't necessary, as shown prior, for the atheist to prove a negative (the absence of an afterlife or a "god"). I'm having difficulty in choosing to have faith something doesn't exist. Do you have faith invisible pink unicorns don't exist?
Absolutely. As is saying there is no God and no afterlife. Any proposition that can't be objectively, independently verified is a statement of faith. And everyone will make their statement, by word and/or deed.
I think that "god" is falsifiable. The testable objective evidence suggests there is/are no "god(s)". If you have evidence to test not in consideration beyond "this book I have says so" or "I believe and have faith X is so", or "this philosophical argument proposes", science is waiting.
There isn't a lack of evidence, only a want of irrefutable proof, outside the experience of God, which is inherently subjective. I don't, however, find skepticism reasonable if it leads to an inferior choice in life context, one at odds with human imperatives and does so without proof, only faith resting on the lack of experience of a thing, which if experienced could never be used to satisfy the standard no one can arrive at.
This sounds like a defense of Pascal's Wager and one of the better I've seen. The evidence doesn't need to be irrefutable; presenting any objective evidence at all would be a good place to start.
Of course I've chosen a context. Well, accepted then. My case is a bit peculiar.
All of them are a bit strange in my context.
Well then, we both have faith in you and God will suffice for me if you're unable.
One is glad to be of service and I don't demand your unquestioning obedience either. I'm a bargin.
Now that's a disappointing presumption, but no. That's not really how it happened. Also, Christianity is still a proper noun...and if you can't manage that you might want to rethink how objectively you're approaching my faith...it's no mortal wound or even particularly offensive to me, but it is a bit silly.
How does one go about objectively evaluating something that by its very nature is subjective? No one can evaluate your personal experience.
I think it puts you in worse company than you deserve, but I won't belabor it.
No, I just refuse to validate your religion because, although you take it seriously, I am unable, even to please a friend. That doesn't make me unfeeling, just consistent. I put quotes around "god" because, by your own admission, "god" is a subjective experience, personalize the concept as it suits you. Names still qualify as proper. Now, if you were to start capitalizing "atheist", "atheism", "agnostic", and "agnosticism " I might reconsider. If "it's no mortal wound or even particularly offensive" to you then let your outrage die. If you find my usage "a bit silly" I'm ok with your laughter.
I think that anyone who asks for a thing should be able to name what it is they're asking for,.
I'm quite certain I was very specific in my request. You said in a blurb following below, "A Christian is certain in his subjective experience of God". Show me "god", any version currently in fashion will do.
A Christian believes in consequence. Justice is the working of a moral consequence. But we also believe in mercy and the transformational power of grace.
That's nice. Show me objective morality and the associated law giver.
An incomplete picture that lacks the context Christians bring to it. A Christian would rather Hitler had repented and been reconciled to God, but absent grace, he must stand in his sin and be judged by it.
Hitler didn't repent? Assuming he was sincere and received absolution, how does justice figure in?
Where I'd say the atheist serves his ego (doing what he wills to serve what he values) and the faithful serve the judge of their egos (doing what He wills to serve what He values). But setting that aside, I don't do good to escape judgment. My sins have been accounted for. Rather, I seek my pleasure in His pleasure and find it there. By way of, today I washed and cared for this little, ancient Presbyterian church I attend. I found the service both physically draining and spiritually uplifting. I wasn't looking for gain from it outside of the pleasure of being of service. Wonderful time, though I shouldn't have started as late as I did given the weather.
Manufacturing your own context serves what you believe your deity is and wants. It works for you and I can't fault your integrity and honesty. It's interesting that you do "good" for goodness sake, a trait atheists do naturally. As for accounting for sin, DavisBJ made an interesting comparison, "I got a neighbor. He came up to me and said he doesn’t agree with some things I do. So he gave me a choice. Option 1 is that he is going to beat the living stuffins out of me until I am just a quivering bloody stump. Or I can say I really like his son, and then he is going to have the living beejeebers beat out of his own son. Great logic."
That doesn't follow. An atheist cannot claim to know more than he can prove. He can at best be uncertain. If he steps outside of that he is being irrational by his own light...A Christian is certain in his subjective experience of God. He isn't making an empirical judgment or claim because he understands empiricism can no more settle the question than I can boil a potato with my hands. It isn't the premise of Christianity that only that which is empirically demonstrable is true.
Then christianity isn't rational. A christian cannot claim to know more than he can prove. He can at best be uncertain. He certainly can't know if his subjective experience is true.
I differ. It is rational, where one must choose between contexts, neither of which is demonstrably true, to choose the context that offers the best possible outcome and the better course else. My belief aligns with my nature, its imperatives, and the things that spring from them, like that desire for justice. To be fair, again, I didn't come to faith in contemplation, like Lewis, but as I say from time to time, while I did not reason my way to faith I find my faith at every point defensible by that faculty.
Pascal's Wager again?
Within my context it is a necessary concern, but I appreciate the sentiment. I'll keep you in my prayers and trust God for the rest.
And I still appreciate your concern while you enjoy wasting your time doing so.
I knew you were a member of some faith.
Alla dem otha teems in da SEC dey be da debil. Roll Tide!