We Need Vehicle control! Driver Kills 1, Injures 37 In Rampage.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Reportedly she drove an Olds.

I'm not saying we need to ban Oldsmobiles. But surely we can all agree that some kind of bipartisan, common sense Oldsmbobile control is needed.

Well, they did quit making oldsmobile several years ago. and pontiac ?
I think that's true, what I just said there. maybe not pontiac

musterion

All fuel should be drained from automobiles immediately after use and kept in a separate location.

Fuel capacity should be reduced, also.

Cable locks should be run through the steering wheel, passed under the seats and out through the trunk then rapped around each wheel and anchored to a suitable eyebolt, anchored in concrete.

And unlockable only by a duly appointed government representative who first conducts a health and safety assessment for the environment and for the children, does a needs test on your proposed trip, and after they check how you voted in the last five congressional and presidential elections (these steps do not apply if you're in a designated approved minority group).

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
32,000 vehicle fatalities mirrors the amount of fatalities by gun until you separate homocide (8124 murders by gun) and suicide (21,175 suicide by guns). A much different picture...a person is 4 times more likely to die due to a vehicle than a gun, unless they are doing themselves in.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
All fuel should be drained from automobiles immediately after use and kept in a separate location.

Fuel capacity should be reduced, also.

Cable locks should be run through the steering wheel, passed under the seats and out through the trunk then rapped around each wheel and anchored to a suitable eyebolt, anchored in concrete.

And unlockable only by a duly appointed government representative who first conducts a health and safety assessment for the environment and for the children, does a needs test on your proposed trip, and after they check how you voted in the last five congressional and presidential elections (these steps do not apply if you're in a designated approved minority group).

See, now we are getting somewhere...stop the madness!

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

Good plan! :thumb:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nothing short of getting rid of individual transportation would have prevented the tragic outcome. Nothing short of taking guns out of the hands of citizens would make the latest shooting tragedies unlikely.

But there are things we can do in relation to cars and guns that could significantly impact the likelihood of either causing as many fatalities as they do in the broader sense.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Reportedly she drove an Olds.

I'm not saying we need to ban Oldsmobiles. But surely we can all agree that some kind of bipartisan, common sense Oldsmbobile control is needed.

was it black?

did it have scary features on it?

maybe a roof rack or a trailer hitch?

musterion

Nothing short of getting rid of individual transportation would have prevented the tragic outcome. Nothing short of taking guns out of the hands of citizens would make the latest shooting tragedies unlikely.

But there are things we can do in relation to cars and guns that could significantly impact the likelihood of either causing as many fatalities as they do in the broader sense.

Not letting women drive or own guns? :confused:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Seems that we need vehicle control given that vehicles are being used as weapons, maybe some controls should be put in place to keep cars & trucks out of the hands of killers. This woman kills 1 and injures 37(many critically), should there not be a "no drive list" ? background checks? these are deadly weapons we are talking about....

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/21/us/las-vegas-strip-pedestrians-hit/

we should create laws making it illegal to drive on the sidewalk and kill people intentionally

and we should make sidewalks "no car zones"

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Mercedes and some high end auto makers have stop technology, where the car stops if something is close to the front bumper. We need all insane poor people, drunks and drug users driving a Lexus or Mercedes.

musterion

Mercedes and some high end auto makers have stop technology, where the car stops if something is close to the front bumper. We need all insane poor people, drunks and drug users driving a Lexus or Mercedes.

We're working on it, starting with illegals and Syrians.

-- Democrats

chair

People have a right to drive vehicles. Anybody should be allowed to drive them, without any training or licensing. There should be no areas that are "no-drive zones". Why should government regulate sidewalk use?

Greg Jennings

was she mooslim?

No. This is a truly bizarre case. I saw that there was a stimulant found in her system, but what it is they haven't released. Seeing as she had a medical marijuana card, I'd put my money on that being the stimulant. However, marijuana won't make you act the way she did. It's really strange. She was in town with her daughter for a modeling gig, showed no remorse and handed herself over willingly. Just weird

This Charming Manc

Re this thread there is little as depressing as watching a ground of people go round in circles patting themselves on the back for an ignorant position.

To give a little clarity traffic has become much more heavily regulated since 1921 when we have the first figures for road deaths per million miles traveled, it was at 24.09, in 2013 it is down to 1.11. that over a 20 fold drop in the dnager on roads in the US since 1921.

That is in a period where we have seen average speeds go up dramatically, congestion on the roads increase, etc , etc

That is down to regulation on car design and safety, driving laws and vehicle testing.

Hearmyvoice

Was she a mooslim?

Was she a mooslim?

No. This is a truly bizarre case. I saw that there was a stimulant found in her system, but what it is they haven't released. Seeing as she had a medical marijuana card, I'd put my money on that being the stimulant. However, marijuana won't make you act the way she did. It's really strange. She was in town with her daughter for a modeling gig, showed no remorse and handed herself over willingly. Just weird

She is an immigrant Solmali woman! A black muslim. The vehicle she was driving had Oregon plates. After she mowed down pedestrians (yelling Allahu Akbar) she barricaded herself in the car as witnesses tried to pull her out...she escaped and fled on foot leaving her 3 year old in the car...she was caught and now the MUSLIM IMMIGRANT is in custody.

gcthomas

She is an immigrant Solmali woman! A black muslim. The vehicle she was driving had Oregon plates. After she mowed down pedestrians (yelling Allahu Akbar) she barricaded herself in the car as witnesses tried to pull her out...she escaped and fled on foot leaving her 3 year old in the car...she was caught and now the MUSLIM IMMIGRANT is in custody.

Can you cite the source for any of this, please?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Can you cite the source for any of this, please?

I'm wondering about this myself...I can cite numerous sources for the info posted, but none of them are, shall we say; entirely credible. :plain:

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Was listening to this on my scanner last night.

I'm still awaiting. like yourself, for all the call to ban all cars and trucks. Yet to hear anything.

Do you really think it's a good comparison?

First, cars can be used as weapons. Guns are weapons.

Second, vehicles have much wider ranging uses in our society than guns. How could you practically get rid of them?

Third, look at the death count. One. However, that could increase because some of the injuries are critical. If someone had gone into a crowd with a couple guns do you think the death count would be sitting at one? Probably not. Vehicles can cause a lot of destruction but are they as lethal as guns? :idunno:

I don't think you're showing much here.

Having said that, I also get annoyed and frustrated by the immediate calls for more/stricter gun laws after each shooting. Apparently the assumption is that a law could have stopped it and we just need to legislate more, which is probably not true. At the very least you can't make kneejerk emotional comments immediately after the event.