Unschooling

Adam

Hall of Fame
There have been a lot of attacks recently on the unschooling movement, especially from the media like CNN and FoxNews.

Frankly, I see some problems with unschooling, but it's still way better than government brainwashing.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
ebenz47037 said:
http://www.unschooling.com/library/faq/definitions.shtml

Here are several definitions of it. It's sometimes called interest-led learning. I do a cross between unschooling and traditional homeschooling.
Thanks for the link. For now I just briefly read some of the quotes on the first page. I will read more about it later, but let me first ask this. Is it essentially letting your child pick things they want to learn and teach that, instead of following a cirriculum?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
Thanks for the link. For now I just briefly read some of the quotes on the first page. I will read more about it later, but let me first ask this. Is it essentially letting your child pick things they want to learn and teach that, instead of following a cirriculum?

I've heard it called "interest-led learning (which is the one I prefer for my own style)," which focusses on the main interests of the student when it comes to teaching. I've also heard it called "learning from real life," which pretty much throws out any curriculum and teaches by observation of everyday events, such as grocery shopping, paying bills, etc...

You will find many variations within the unschooling movement ranging from what I do to "learning from real life."

kmoney

Hall of Fame
ebenz47037 said:
I've heard it called "interest-led learning (which is the one I prefer for my own style)," which focusses on the main interests of the student when it comes to teaching. I've also heard it called "learning from real life," which pretty much throws out any curriculum and teaches by observation of everyday events, such as grocery shopping, paying bills, etc...

You will find many variations within the unschooling movement ranging from what I do to "learning from real life."
:think: An interesting way of doing things, and one I actually kinda like, but like truthman, I would have my concerns. There are agreed upon cirriculums because there are some things that children should learn and it helps children find their interests and skills and gifts. I guess the best is to do, like you do, a combination of the two.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When I first heard of unschooling, I thought it was just a bunch of nuts who didn't want their kids in public school, but didn't want to teach them either. I found out differently when I met a few unschoolers. The ones I've met make their own curriculum based solely on their children's interests and/or skills. If the child is good at and interested in music, they base all subjects on music. That kind of thing.

Right now, we're doing the basic high school (college prep) courses. But, all of :jessilu:'s electives are totally interest led. She's doing Spanish, cooking/creating recipes, horseback riding, and singing/songwriting.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
ebenz47037 said:
When I first heard of unschooling, I thought it was just a bunch of nuts who didn't want their kids in public school, but didn't want to teach them either. I found out differently when I met a few unschoolers. The ones I've met make their own curriculum based solely on their children's interests and/or skills. If the child is good at and interested in music, they base all subjects on music. That kind of thing.

Right now, we're doing the basic high school (college prep) courses. But, all of :jessilu:'s electives are totally interest led. She's doing Spanish, cooking/creating recipes, horseback riding, and singing/songwriting.
Yeah, your method is one that I think I'd like if I ever homeschool. I think the general cirriculum should be followed but also have "electives" that are based on other things. I think kids would miss out on too much if the parents completely let their kids go by their interests because the child could end up missing out on huge, important subjects.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
Yeah, your method is one that I think I'd like if I ever homeschool. I think the general cirriculum should be followed but also have "electives" that are based on other things. I think kids would miss out on too much if the parents completely let their kids go by their interests because the child could end up missing out on huge, important subjects.

Not really. You can set up a unit study about the interest which would include all subjects. I used to do that when :jessilu: was younger. In third grade, she was very interested in geology. Not only did I hire a geologist to tutor her, but I made her math, science, reading, social studies/history, and PE all include something about geology. Same thing for the next year when her interest was astronomy and the following year when she got into paleontology. It isn't hard to do at all.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
ebenz47037 said:
Not really. You can set up a unit study about the interest which would include all subjects. I used to do that when :jessilu: was younger. In third grade, she was very interested in geology. Not only did I hire a geologist to tutor her, but I made her math, science, reading, social studies/history, and PE all include something about geology. Same thing for the next year when her interest was astronomy and the following year when she got into paleontology. It isn't hard to do at all.
OK I was wrong :noid:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
truthman said:
Thanks ebenz for filling in the blanks for kmoney, I've been quite busy lately.

The following book is a pretty good read on the subject of Unschooling.

Christian Unschooling
a whole book :noway:
I'm not that interested in the subject truthman :chuckle:
;)

It definitely seems like a good route to go if homeschooling.
You said you have concerns about it, does that mean you don't personally practice it?

PureX

ebenz47037 said:
http://www.unschooling.com/library/faq/definitions.shtml

Here are several definitions of it. It's sometimes called interest-led learning. I do a cross between unschooling and traditional homeschooling.
I suspect that this would be the best approach. There are definate advantages to both ways of teaching, so why not take advantage of them both? I think "unschooling" helps develop imagination, independance, and self-discipline, while traditional teaching sets very necessary goals and guidelines that kids need so they can "see" how they're doing, and see how and when to self-correct.

Good thinkin', Mom! *smile*

sentientsynth

Truthman,

Thanks for sharing about Unschooling, and the link. This is the first I've heard of it.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of raising and teaching my own children. My interactions with those of my friends and family, though, have shown me one glaring consistency: children are curious, wildly imaginative, and just looking for someone who will take time to answer their questions. My neices have dragged me from my comfy chair more than once to ask me about slugs, dirt, spiders, "that gunk growing in the water,"...

truthman said:
There have been a lot of attacks recently on the unschooling movement, especially from the media like CNN and FoxNews.
That's because the big name news corporations are subsidiaries of the military-industrial complex which sets the agenda for this country. Unschooling represents a culture movement contrary to their desired ends.

Your friend,

SS

Adam

Hall of Fame
My main problem with unschooling is that it goes against the grain of the highest governmental institution in the world, namely, the family. The family was set in place by God before, and above, all governments, and it is the family that keeps the world civilized. What unschooling does is it takes the head of the family, the father, and places him on the bottom of the pyramid, while the heavy base of the children stays on top, upsetting the balance.

When the children lead solely, without guidance and Godly structure, the pyramid topples, the family begins to strain under the pressure, and society suffers.

However, there is another way.

The family, with father as head, and mother as a mainstay in the children's lives, there can be freedom. You set boundaries, and let the children choose freely from within those boundaries. For instance, you give the children an environment such that when they choose, they only have healthy choices to make. This is one of the reasons we don't have television service in our home, and only videos that we have thoughtfully decided on.

Homeschooling doesn't have to be an empty minded, boxed-in structure, where the children are pushed through virtual corridors for 6-8 hours a day with a schedule that is kept militarily. This structure induces boredom and stifles creativity. It's an environment where rote is the plan, memory is king, and information is retained just long enough to make it to the next turn in the corridor.

Rather, the loving parent will homeschool their children in every possible experience that life can throw at them. At home, they are not sheltered from the world in a daily box where even playtime is designed around just their age group. Instead, they are given experiences that will shape them for life as they deal with people of all ages on a regular basis at the hardware store, the nursing home visit, the farmer's market, the flea market, the thrift store, their own siblings of varying ages, abilities and qualities. The occasional visit from the plumber, the UPS deliveryman, the trip to the Post Office, and so on, gives them high occasion to see the world in action, and helps prepare them for what the real world is actually like, and not a "Now Timmy, those boys are trouble..." educational video at school on a pull-down screen.

This is real homeschool, where the grocery store trip can:

1. Teach math. Just looking at the receipt show the child just how much money was spent, and how much remains.
  2. Teach home economics. Where the child can see if what was purchased was a wise investment for the home. Also, the child can see if the trip itself was worth the products purchased, including gas, vehicle wear and tear, the stamina of the younger siblings during the trip, and the lunch purchased at Burger King on the way because the trip was taken in the middle of the day.
  3. Teach time management, where the child can see how long it took make the trip.
  4. Teach real world interaction. The butcher, the baker, the clerk, and the manager can all be interacted with.
  5. Teach a host of other things that a classroom could never accomplish.
Publicly schooled families see the above example as drudgery. Homeschool families relish the above and constantly look for more opportunities like it.

Do your kids a favor. Take them out of school. Lead them well. Raise them to be Godly. You will be blessed!

truthman