Thomas Jefferson and guns.

jzeidler

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” – Thomas Jefferson

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” – Thomas Jefferson

Absolutely.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Unforunately, Mr. Jefferson is unavailable to see the US as it currently is.

You can thank Godless liberalism for that.

Thoughts on Jefferson's tree of liberty quote, i.e. when can we 'get it on'?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it’s natural manure."

quip

BANNED
Banned

Thomas Jefferson...meet Bruce Lee. :think:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

The English translation of this passage which appeared in the 1809 edition Jefferson later owned is as follows:

"A principal source of errors and injustice are false ideas of utility. For example: that legislator has false ideas of utility who considers particular more than general conveniencies, who had rather command the sentiments of mankind than excite them, who dares say to reason, 'Be thou a slave;' who would sacrifice a thousand real advantages to the fear of an imaginary or trifling inconvenience; who would deprive men of the use of fire for fear of their being burnt, and of water for fear of their being drowned; and who knows of no means of preventing evil but by destroying it.

The laws of this nature are those which forbid to wear arms, disarming those only who are not disposed to commit the crime which the laws mean to prevent. Can it be supposed, that those who have the courage to violate the most sacred laws of humanity, and the most important of the code, will respect the less considerable and arbitrary injunctions, the violation of which is so easy, and of so little comparative importance? Does not the execution of this law deprive the subject of that personal liberty, so dear to mankind and to the wise legislator? and does it not subject the innocent to all the disagreeable circumstances that should only fall on the guilty? It certainly makes the situation of the assaulted worse, and of the assailants better, and rather encourages than prevents murder, as it requires less courage to attack unarmed than armed persons."[4]
https://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/laws-forbid-carrying-armsquotation

Unless I'm reading that wrong, Jefferson didn't sound like a gun grabbing liberal to me.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Just to clear it up for everybody:

No, Jefferson didn't say this. Didn't happen.

My bad. Thanks for clarifying that.

Your next assignment (should you choose to accept it) :

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Just to clear it up for everybody:

No, Jefferson didn't say this. Didn't happen.

He didn't say it but, must have agreed with it to republish it in his book. His other writings on the subject including what aCW posted kind of back up that assertion.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

As hard as people try to weaken or outright undermine the second amendment, it was placed very high on the founders priorities to make it the 2nd amendment...and thank God that they made amendments a difficult process to change so, demagogues like Obama & his liberal minions would never be able to disarm the people by fiat or a simple majority. :thumb:

Granite

Hall of Fame
No "buts" about it. Attributing this to Jefferson is simply...incorrect. Not true. A lie, actually.

Also, we have tyranny and a ton of guns, so a few million people missed the memo a while ago.:yawn:

No one's coming for them because they don't need to.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
No "buts" about it. Attributing this to Jefferson is simply...incorrect. Not true. A lie, actually.

Also, we have tyranny and a ton of guns, so a few million people missed the memo a while ago.:yawn:

No one's coming for them because they don't need to.

Attributing the quote yes, attributing his agreement & republishing of this quote is accurate. Yes, we have tyranny all the more reason for having an armed citizenry, they aren't coming for them because they can't.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Also, we have tyranny and a ton of guns, so a few million people missed the memo a while ago.:yawn:...

Oh but Granite, the party hasn't started...

yet.

tree-of-liberty1.png

Granite

Hall of Fame
Attributing the quote yes, attributing his agreement & republishing of this quote is accurate. Yes, we have tyranny all the more reason for having an armed citizenry, they aren't coming for them because they can't.

They don't need or want to.

Sorry, but having a gun doesn't make a gun owner important.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
They don't need or want to.

Sorry, but having a gun doesn't make a gun owner important.

Neither I, nor Jefferson was highlighting the importance of gun owners, he/I was highlighting the importance that there is a right to gun ownership & why that right exists.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Neither I nor Jefferson was highlighting the importance of gun owners, he/I was highlighting the importance that there is a right to gun ownership & why that right exists.

In which case we failed. Or tyranny's sophisticated enough not to be threatened by widespread gun ownership.

Frankly, I think they prefer we have a lot of guns and keep shooting each other up. Illusion of safety, illusion of liberty, keep the pot boiled and stirred up. One more thing for us to fight about among ourselves, even though nothing's going to ever change. Typical.