There is But One God, the Father

Jerry Shugart

Let us look at this verse, a verse which the anti-trinitarians quote often in their effort to try to prove that the Lord Jesus is not God:

"But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him"
(1 Cor.8:6).​

In his commentary on this verse Albert Barnes says:

"One God, the Father - Whom we acknowledge as the Father of all; Author of all things; and who sustains to all his works the relation of a father. The word 'Father' here is not used as applicable to the first person of the Trinity, as distinguished from the second, but is applied to God as God; not as the Father in contradistinction from the Son, but to the divine nature as such, without reference to that distinction - the Father as distinguished from his offspring, the works that owe their origin to him" (Barnes'Notes on the Bible, Commentary at 1 Corinthians 8:6).​

The following verse speaks of the Father as the Creator of Mankind:

"But now, O LORD (JWHW), thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand" (Isa.64:8).​

Here we read that JHWH is our Father and He is the Potter who created mankind. The Apostle Paul said that it is by the Lord Jesus that all things are created:

"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church" (Col.1:16-18).​

Since the Lord Jesus created all things then it is obvious that He is the Potter, JWHW the Father. That explains the Lord Jesus' words here:

"I and my Father are one"
(Jn.10:30).​

The only reason that the Lord Jesus could say the following is because He is indeed JHWH the Father:

"Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?" (Jn.14:9).​

All this explains what we read here about the Lord Jesus:

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isa.9:6).​

The Everlasting Father is the Mighty God, and the Mighty God is JHWH, as witnessed by what is said here:

" Thou shewest lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them: the Great, the Mighty God, the LORD (JHWH) of hosts, is his name"
(Jer.32:18).​

Last edited:

daqq

Let us look at this verse, a verse which the anti-trinitarians quote often in their effort to try to prove that the Lord Jesus is not God:

"But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him"
(1 Cor.8:6).

"One God, the Father - Whom we acknowledge as the Father of all; Author of all things; and who sustains to all his works the relation of a father. The word 'Father' here is not used as applicable to the first person of the Trinity, as distinguished from the second, but is applied to God as God; not as the Father in contradistinction from the Son, but to the divine nature as such, without reference to that distinction - the Father as distinguished from his offspring, the works that owe their origin to him" (Barnes'Notes on the Bible, Commentary at 1 Corinthians 8:6).

The following verse speaks of the Father as the Creator of Mankind:
"But now, O LORD (JWHW), thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand" (Isa.64:8).​

Here we read that JHWH is our Father and He is the Potter who created mankind. The Apostle Paul said that it is by the Lord Jesus that all things are created:
"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church" (Col.1:16-18).​

Since the Lord Jesus created all things then it is obvious that He is the Potter, JWHW the Father. That explains the Lord Jesus' words here:

The only reason that the Lord Jesus could say the following is because He is indeed JHWH the Father:
"Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?" (Jn.14:9).​

All this explains what we read here about the Lord Jesus:
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isa.9:6).​

The Everlasting Father is the Mighty God, and the Mighty God is JHWH, as witnessed by what is said here:

" Thou shewest lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them: the Great, the Mighty God, the LORD (JHWH) of hosts, is his name"
(Jer.32:18).​

And abracadabrakazam! Elymas Bar-Jesus son of Jesus the word sorcerer has two Fathers!
But which one will he choose to serve? :chuckle:

Bradley D

"Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love" (2 John 1:3).

Understanding God's Spirit imparted to Christ and the Holy Spirit is a mystery. I do not believe it will be completely understood till the New Heaven and New Earth.

daqq

As usual you have all the answers!:chuckle:

Essentially that is what the commentator for the passage you quoted is engaged in:

Word sorcery:

(1 Cor.8:6).

"One God, the Father - Whom we acknowledge as the Father of all; Author of all things; and who sustains to all his works the relation of a father. The word 'Father' here is not used as applicable to the first person of the Trinity, as distinguished from the second, but is applied to God as God; not as the Father in contradistinction from the Son, but to the divine nature as such, without reference to that distinction - the Father as distinguished from his offspring, the works that owe their origin to him" (Barnes'Notes on the Bible, Commentary at 1 Corinthians 8:6).

Can you please explain how he can say, and you can agree with him, that in 1 Cor 8:6 Paul doesn't reeeaaaalllly mean "Father" but rather only means "God" in a general sense? That sounds to me like nothing more than word sorcery so as to get around what Paul actually writes. It says what it says and it is plain as day to those willing to believe it and apply it to their own doctrine. :)

iamaberean

/QUOTE]

Jesus is man in the flesh, God in Spirit.

Job 19:25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

Isa 43:14 Thus saith the LORD, your redeemer, the Holy One of Israel;

Isa 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isa 48:17 Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel;

Isa 41:14 Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the LORD, and thy redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

1Co 15:47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

Jerry Shugart

Can you please explain how he can say, and you can agree with him, that in 1 Cor 8:6 Paul doesn't reeeaaaalllly mean "Father" but rather only means "God" in a general sense?

No one said that this verse doesn't refer to the Father and we do know that it is JWHW Who is referred to as "Father":

That matches perfectly with what is said here about the Lord Jesus:

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace"
(Isa.9:6).​

This is not difficult to understand.

Jerry Shugart

Jesus is man in the flesh, God in Spirit.

Now the Lord Jesus is in the form of God and He was in that form until He was made in the likeness of man:

"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men" (Phil.2:5-7).​

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
"Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love" (2 John 1:3).

Understanding God's Spirit imparted to Christ and the Holy Spirit is a mystery. I do not believe it will be completely understood till the New Heaven and New Earth.

Well said and to the point. No one argues this well, as far as I have seen.

Jerry Shugart

Jesus is the father of whom?

He is the Father of all mankind. The following verse speaks of the Father as the Creator of Mankind:

Since the Lord Jesus created all things then it is obvious that He is the Potter, the Father of mankind.