The tide has turned for the far right

In both the UK and US, popularity for the far right has waxed and is now waning. Trump's popularity is tumbling, and the UK far right in the form of UKIP and EU Leave campaign have faced a bruising week.

Have people, having been momentarily seduced by the too-good-to-believe promises of the right to return our prospective countries to a fantasy golden age, realised that their promises were indeed too good to believe?

eider

Hi.......
What do you reckon the vote 'split' will be?
I cannot yet figure which way it will go.

UKIP.... far right? I've always seen UKIP as the transport cafe party...... !! ... :)
But then, I do like a breakfast No3.

Hi.......
What do you reckon the vote 'split' will be?
I cannot yet figure which way it will go.

UKIP.... far right? I've always seen UKIP as the transport cafe party...... !! ... :)
But then, I do like a breakfast No3.

I think it will be a small but respectable win for Remain, say 52-53%. Referendum polls tend to favour the side arguing for change in the weeks before the vote and then swing towards the status quo in the last week or so (Quebec Independence, AV and Scotland all followed this pattern). People start thinking of the Referendum as a proxy vote for the issues of the day but then come back to earth as the vote looms. It's a case of whether the swing back is enough.

As for UKIP, I'd class them as far right but not extreme right. Particularly with recent rhetoric. But Nigel my-wife-doesn't-count Farage isn't in the same league as Donald ban-all-Muslims Trump. I've been particularly surprised at Johnson's mendacity and hypocrisy.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Have people, having been momentarily seduced by the too-good-to-believe promises of the right to return our prospective countries to a fantasy golden age, realised that their promises were indeed too good to believe?

:rotfl:

No.
Liberals produced a momentary Age of Idiocy which is coming to a close. At least in the US- the UK has pretty much sold itself to the highest tyrant :rolleyes:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Don't count us Brexits out yet...I always believed the people would be cowed into remaining by the sheer weight of propaganda, British people always do what they are told

...but this time people are angry

Interplanner

I don't know what the bruising week was; from the US perspective the admin and the Left have been truly bruised by (today) trying to redact the communications by the Orlando shooter so that they don't say anything Politically Incorrect. Their belief that this is all due to guns or the right is beyond ridiculous, but other than repent of their shameful ways, what choice do they have when the highest value is to save face?

There are reports about polling that the Left is attacking the truth there too; that Trump is not where they say. The Left is at war with common sense, and it just tried to patch up the biggest crack in that. The scotch tape will give soon enough.