The Role of Chance

bwood

The Calvinist would say there is no such thing as chance; the Open Theist would say there is. If we take the example of "Ruth happened across Boaz' field," wouldn't all agree that this really wasn't by chance at all, rather that this was similar to God leading Abraham's servant right to Isaac's bride? Doesn't this also imply that God foresaw all this and knew it would all fall into place?
I guess it's possible that there were other "Ruth's" that God attempted to further his purposes through but things didn't quite work out for God. And of course, none of those stories ended up in the Bible.

Lon

mik-reh'
From H7136; something met with, that is, an accident or fortune: - something befallen, befalleth, chance, event, hap (-peneth).

🤔

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The Calvinist would say there is no such thing as chance; the Open Theist would say there is. If we take the example of "Ruth happened across Boaz' field," wouldn't all agree that this really wasn't by chance at all, rather that this was similar to God leading Abraham's servant right to Isaac's bride? Doesn't this also imply that God foresaw all this and knew it would all fall into place?
I guess it's possible that there were other "Ruth's" that God attempted to further his purposes through but things didn't quite work out for God. And of course, none of those stories ended up in the Bible.

Jesus certainly believed there was such thing as "by chance." (Luke 10:31)

And there are other instances in the Bible where "chance" is mentioned. (1 Samuel 6:9; 2 Samuel 1:6; Ecclesiastes 9:11)

As for Ruth meeting Boaz, why couldn't it be "by chance"?

Lon

Jesus certainly believed there was such thing as "by chance." (Luke 10:31)

And there are other instances in the Bible where "chance" is mentioned. (1 Samuel 6:9; 2 Samuel 1:6; Ecclesiastes 9:11)

As for Ruth meeting Boaz, why couldn't it be "by chance"?
Not sure Luke is chance. It says 'if' a condition, and then the result, unequivocally "if" He is correct (it is a verse in favor of Divine Foreknowledge).

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Not sure Luke is chance. It says 'if' a condition, and then the result, unequivocally "if" He is correct (it is a verse in favor of Divine Foreknowledge).

Not sure what you're reading...

Luke 10:31 is the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Then Jesus answered and said: “A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. - Luke 10:30-31 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke10:30-31&version=NKJV

No "if" at all...

Reactions: Lon

Derf

Then Jesus answered and said: “A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. - Luke 10:30-31 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke10:30-31&version=NKJV

No "if" at all...
This is an example of “other Ruth’s”, as proposed by @bwood.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
This is an example of “other Ruth’s”, as proposed by @bwood.

Unlike what Bwood suggested, the parable did, in fact, make it into the Bible, same as the other passages I mentioned.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Others like this:

Keep reading:

The highlighted portion is what I was addressing originally.

Derf

Keep reading:

The highlighted portion is what I was addressing originally.
I understand. And I was addressing the other, trying to tie bwood’s and your posts together with a single response. Sorry if it was confusing.

Lon

No "if" at all...
The compound word is 'union' (sun-'soon') and Lord (kurio). Literally, then not 'chance' but more akin to 'by union with the Lord' or 'by the Lord's will.'

bwood

It looks like I'll never have enough privileges to reply, so this is in reply to Judge Rightly's question on the previous thread "As for Ruth meeting Boaz, why couldn't it be "by chance"?
Because the book of Ruth is integral to Christ's ancestry, right? God was orchestrating all of this, it isn't an accidental story. Wouldn't all Christians agree?
I suppose that doesn't prove that God knew the future, but it means he was sure it would work out. Unless, now I'm repeating myself, he arranged other "divine appointments" that were fruitless. If that's true, then God is arranging countless fruitless appointments.

I'm having a hard time working through this because I tend to agree with the case outlined here, but it makes figuring out how God's plan unfolded difficult. If one believes the traditional view, it all makes perfect sense, it's easy to reason about. It doesn't help that I don't think it would be wise to mention the fact that I give open theism consideration around my church peoples because it would shock them.

Reactions: Lon

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Try replying to threads now. I upped your account to registered plus.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I also updated your permissions in this forum. See if you can reply to threads in here.