The Religion of Blinding Bluster

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
We say 'missing the forest for the trees'. That's not an enumerated cognitive error that I know of, but it's descriptive of a certain pattern that is related to the patterns of cognitive errors. There is definitely an error, and it depends on your point of view, whether you can see the error or not.

You're hitting on something here called global/local processing bias. Nice. It's not a cognitive bias so much as a visual processing bias that can be manipulated to encourage someone to process either more globally or more locally. Using Navon letters can predispose someone to think more forest or more trees on subsequent tasks.

Ever heard of Navon Letters?

Example-letters-in-a-Navon-Task-Larger-letters-are-typically-conceived-of-as-global.png

* I'm reminded also of St. Augustine's diagnosis the 'noetic effect' of the Fall of Man. Protestant scholars in particular emphasize that Augustine basically thought that we are all injured or handicapped mentally, the cognitive errors or cognitive biases being cases in point.

I happen to believe there's a little crazy in everyone, and that it's part of being human. However - being saved doesn't rescue one from the crazy, although a saved person might perceive that it would. ;)

marke

You're hitting on something here called global/local processing bias. Nice. It's not a cognitive bias so much as a visual processing bias that can be manipulated to encourage someone to process either more globally or more locally. Using Navon letters can predispose someone to think more forest or more trees on subsequent tasks.

Ever heard of Navon Letters?

Example-letters-in-a-Navon-Task-Larger-letters-are-typically-conceived-of-as-global.png

I happen to believe there's a little crazy in everyone, and that it's part of being human. However - being saved doesn't rescue one from the crazy, although a saved person might perceive that it would. ;)
God gives wisdom. Crazy comes from education that bypasses God.

PureX

God is God regardless of our ability to understand Him.
Regardless, all we have is our ability to understand, limited though it is. And it is with that limited understanding that we choose to move through the world. (Or choose not to in the case of atheists.)

Right Divider

Body part
Regardless, all we have is our ability to understand, limited though it is.
That's an incomplete sentence; understand what?
And it is with that limited understanding that we choose to move through the world. (Or choose not to in the case of atheists.)
You do understand that some people have a better knowledge and understanding of certain things than others, right?

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
The mystery of our own existence.
What "mystery" is that? God's Word is pretty clear about our existence.
Yes. But only of the mechanisms of existence.
Must you always talk in circles?
Not of the raison d'etre.
Again, God's Word is plenty clear enough about the subject.
In that, we are all equally mystified;
Speak for yourself. I have a solid resource on the subject: God's Word.
whether we have the insight and courage to admit it or not.
Again, you are speaking for yourself.