The Regeneration and Renewal of the Holy Spirit

Jerry Shugart

In the following verse the Apostle Paul describes how he was saved:

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit" (Titus 3:5).

Here Paul uses the word "regeneration" in regard to his salvation. This word is translated from the Greek word paliggenesia, which is the combination of palin and genesis.

Palin means "joined to verbs of all sorts,it denotes renewal or repetition of the action" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

Genesis means "used of birth, nativity" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

When we combine the meaning of the two words we have a "repetition of a birth."

It is obvious that the reference is not to a "physical" rebirth, or the repetition of one's physical birth. Paul could only be speaking of a repetition of a spiritual birth. And the words that follow make it certain that the "birth" of which Paul is referring to is a "spiritual" birth--"renewing of the Holy Spirit." If a person is "regenerated" by the Holy Spirit then that means that one must have previously been born of the Holy Spirit.

When a person is conceived he is spiritually alive.

SimpleMan77

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit" (Titus 3:5).

It is a reference to how Paul was saved. He was baptized and received the Holy Ghost the way the rest of the saints did.

This verse is referencing baptism in the Name of Jesus and the infilling of the Holy Ghost

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

COGTHW

It is a reference to how Paul was saved. He was baptized and received the Holy Ghost the way the rest of the saints did.

This verse is referencing baptism in the Name of Jesus and the infilling of the Holy Ghost

Amen sir , Amen.

Ephesians 2

1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

Colossians 2

10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

turbosixx

In the following verse the Apostle Paul describes how he was saved:

Here it is in action.
Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized(washing) every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins(renewing), and you will receive the gift of (OF)the Holy Spirit

COGTHW

Here it is in action.
Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized(washing) every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins(renewing), and you will receive the gift of (OF)the Holy Spirit

Amen, Amen I say.!! Gotta Obey Acts 2:38.

Jerry Shugart

13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

A person becomes "dead" spiritually when he sins and no one is born dead in sin:

"But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death" (Jas.1:14-15).[/I]

"What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death...For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Ro.6:21,23).

From all of this we can understand that a person does not emerge from the womb in a state described as being spiritually dead. If a person is born spirtually dead as a result of Adam's sin then it would be impossible for him to die spiritually as a result of his own sin. That is because a person must be alive spiritually before he can die spiritually. The very definition of "death" demands that a person must be alive spiritually before he can die spiritually: "the end of life" (Merriam-Webster.com.).

turbosixx

You just IGNORED the meaning of the Greek word translated "regeneration."

How so? The word means a new birth, regeneration, renewal

paliggenesia: regeneration, renewal
Original Word: παλιγγενεσία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: paliggenesia
Phonetic Spelling: (pal-ing-ghen-es-ee'-ah)
Short Definition: a new birth, regeneration
Definition: a new birth, regeneration, renewal

That is what baptism does, we become new creatures and walk in newness of life.
Rom. 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

How do we come to be in Christ.
Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

SimpleMan77

Youjust IGNORED what the Greek word translated "regeneration" means.

No, I'm not ignoring anything l. I know a lot of people want to get away from what Jesus told Nicodemus, and say it is irrelevant to us, but "born of water" is a direct reference to water baptism. That's what Paul calls "the washing of regeneration".

Jesus's "Born of the Spirit" is what Paul called the "renewing of the Holy Ghost".

The scriptures are so seamlessly consistent, and there are 2 or 3 witnesses to establish every principle.

COGTHW

Rom. 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

No, I'm not ignoring anything l. I know a lot of people want to get away from what Jesus told Nicodemus, and say it is irrelevant to us, but "born of water" is a direct reference to water baptism. That's what Paul calls "the washing of regeneration".

Jesus's "Born of the Spirit" is what Paul called the "renewing of the Holy Ghost".

The scriptures are so seamlessly consistent, and there are 2 or 3 witnesses to establish every principle.

Good God Almighty. GIVE THEM SCRIPTURES brother tell them the truth. You have to baptized you have to call on Jesus Christ to get the Holy Ghost with evidence of tongues. Amen I say, I say Amen.!!

COGTHW

Which fruit of the Spirit is that language?

?????? Sir go read your Bible and leave me be, I don't know you.?? Seem like you are a person of Language, then of God. What possessed you even comment on my Good God Almighty.?? It's obvious that I'm talking about my God.??? He is a Good God and He is Almighty.?? What is your problem Sir.? I will give you my personal number if you wanna talk stuff out it seems as if you know me and have something against me. You need to seek God. Sir.

musterion

?????? Sir go read your Bible and leave me be, I don't know you.?? Seem like you are a person of Language, then of God. What possessed you even comment on my Good God Almighty.?? It's obvious that I'm talking about my God.??? He is a Good God and He is Almighty.?? What is your problem Sir.? I will give you my personal number if you wanna talk stuff out it seems as if you know me and have something against me. You need to seek God. Sir.

Is your anger, impatience and irritation also a fruit of the Spirit?

COGTHW

Is your anger, impatience and irritation also a fruit of the Spirit?

Who said I'm angry.? I'm not here to express feelings. Nor to debate feelings. I'm here to kill every false doctrine on this site including yours. You don't even know me to say I'm angry, if you say I'm angry with writing well so be it. Don't come at me or to me about feelings, I'm here for doctrine not feelings. Go to somebody else about that. I'm a man not a fagot. I can careless about how you say that I'm feeling, don't has nothing to do with the fact you may burn in Hell, if you don't repent be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ and tarry for the Holy Ghost.