the newton project

TrevorL

Greetings Chrysostom,
the newton project - is putting all of newton's writings online -and- this includes his commentary on the apocalypse - I would like to share with you what I found to be very interesting
I appreciate your reference to this link. There seems to be a great deal of information. I had a quick read of part of Newton’s Religious Writings, Item 64 “Observations upon the Prophecies of Daniel, and the Apocalypse of St. John (London: 1733)”. I was happy with his conclusion in chapter 3 that the four metals of Daniel 2 and chapter 4 that the four beasts of Daniel 7 represent the successive kingdoms of Babylon, Persia, Greece and Rome. This view differs from the view held by some Orthodox, Catholic and Protestants that the Church is the Kingdom of God, and that Daniel 2 does not teach the still future Kingdom of God upon the earth. Also in chapter 7 he identifies the eleventh horn of Daniel 7 as the Papacy.
newton did not believe in predicting the future -or-.ignoring the past
newton was an historicist - he didn't believe in making predictions
Although Newton may not have discussed at length any portion of the prophecies that were future, I am not sure if your emphasis is correct. A historicist can also carefully consider and draw conclusions concerning prophecies that are still future. This is not “making predictions”, but seeking to understand what is prophesied, based on what is written and how the prophecy has been fulfilled up to the present. Another definition of “historist” is the “continuous historic understanding of prophecy”. The fulfilment of the four metals of Daniel 2 is a good indication that the fifth Kingdom, the Kingdom of God spoken of in Daniel 2:44 will be established, and will fill the earth, and will overthrow the kingdoms of men. Similarly with Daniel 7, the Kingdom of God will be established in the future, and at that time the Papacy will be destroyed.

Kind regards
Trevor

Truster

"be able to discern what times are coming on the earth by the things that are already past"
-
the historicists don't try to predict the future based on their interpretation of prophecy
-
our job is to watch what has already happened
-and-
try to make sense of it

Of the four interpretations of Revelation the resumptive interpretation is the correct way. This would include interpretation of OT writings. I'm in Rev 6 at the moment and it can only be understood in view of what happened to Zechariah and descriptions provided are enlightened by Daniel and Matthew.

This means the prophecy is understood by the examination of history and in no way means that we* ignore prophesy, but that we* understand it.

we* the regenerate and therefore enlightened.