The Nativity

WeberHome

Re: The Nativity

Luke 1:31-32 . . Listen carefully: you will conceive in your womb and bear a son . . and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father.

In order for David to be Jesus' father, he had to be Mary's father too because her pregnancy wasn't man-made.

Stay with me because I'm going to trace Jesus' biological genealogy all the way back to Adam.

Acts 13:22-23 . . "I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfill all my will." Of this man's seed hath God, according to His promise, raised unto Israel a savior, Jesus.

Rom 1:1-3 . . Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh

The koiné Greek word for "seed" in those two passages is sperma (sper' mah) which is a bit ambiguous because it can refer to spiritual progeny as well as to biological progeny; for example:

Gal 3:29 . . If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed.

That seed is obviously spiritual progeny. But the seed in Acts 13:22-23 and Rom 1:1-3 is biological progeny because David's seed is "according to the flesh" i.e. his physical human body.

Now, unless somebody can prove clearly, conclusively, iron clad, and without spin and sophistry that David's body was in no way biologically related to Adam's body, then we have to conclude that baby Jesus' body was also biologically related to Adam's body.

Taking this a step further:

Eve's body was made from Adam's body. (Gen 2:21-23)

Consequently, when children are conceived by women that are biologically related to Eve, then the children are biologically related to Adam: whether naturally-conceived or virgin-conceived makes no difference, i.e. every child that biologically descends from Eve also biologically descends from Adam.

Gen 3:15 . . I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.

It's pretty much agreed by most Christians that Eve's predicted offspring was realized in Christ; which means that baby Jesus was not only Eve's biological offspring but Adam's too because her body was made from Adam's body.

So then; in order to cut Jesus out of Adam's biological posterity it would be necessary to cut Mary out of Eve's biological posterity; and I've yet to encounter anyone either online or in church able to do that.
_

Jerry Shugart

Who tried to cut the Lord Jesus out of Adam's biological posterity?

Everyone knows that since the Lord Jesus was born of Mary that His ancestry goes back to Adam because that is true for all people.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned

I highly recommend the movie. I bought the DVD.

800_300_1_136927_0_nl_thenativitystory.jpg

WeberHome

Re: The Nativity

Q: Was it really necessary for Joseph to adopt Mary's baby?

A: It was essential because God selected Jesus to inherit David's throne. (Luke 1:32)

Mary was directly related to David; but the monarchy passes down through David's son Solomon (1Kgs 1:16-39).

Jesus' mom wasn't directly related to Solomon, so baby Jesus couldn't inherit the monarchy through her. And besides, Israel's monarchy always passed down through David's males; never his females.

Q: Where'd you get this adoption theory of yours?

A: At Gen 48:5-7, Jacob set a patriarchal precedent by adopting his two grandsons Manasseh and Ephraim; and by doing so installed them in positions equal in rank, honor, power, and privilege to his twelve original sons; thus legally increasing Jacob's total number of tribal heads from twelve to fourteen.

Jacob's motive for adopting Joseph's two sons wasn't for himself; it was in sympathy for his beloved wife Rachel being cut off during her child-bearing years, which subsequently prevented her from having any more children of her own. Ephraim and Manasseh bring Rachel's legal total up to six: two of her own, two by the maid Bilhah, and two by Asenath.

Q: If Jesus inherited the Davidic monarchy via adoption, then wouldn't he have inherited Jeconiah's curse right along with it? (Jer 22:29-30)

A: Yes; because the monarchy and the curse were a package deal.

However; the wording "to rule again in Judah" indicates that the curse on Jeconiah's royal progeny was limited to the era of the divided kingdom. That condition came to an end when Nebuchadnezzar crushed the whole country and led first Samaria, and then later Judah, off to Babylonian slavery.

When Messiah reigns, the country of Israel will be unified. His jurisdiction won't be limited to Judah within a divided kingdom, but will dominate all the land of Israel. So the curse doesn't apply to him.

Ezek 37:21-22 . .You shall declare to them: Thus said the Lord God: I am going to take the Israelite people from among the nations they have gone to, and gather them from every quarter, and bring them to their own land. I will make them a single nation in the land, on the hills of Israel, and one king shall be king of them all. Never again shall they be two nations, and never again shall they be divided into two kingdoms
_