The key to understanding any and all parables

iouae

Suppose you hear a parable like the parable of the talents in Matt 25:14. You may wonder what the point was. A parable makes a comparison, comparing a physical situation with a spiritual principle. Parable is a shortening of comPARABLE.

The first key to understanding a parable is to realise that every parable makes one and only one spiritual point.

So what is the point behind the parable of the talents?

Here is the parable in summary.
A Master entrusts three of his servants with varying amounts of his money (talents) and tells them to occupy themselves doing something with that money while he is gone on a long trip.

Two servants double the master's money, pleasing the master.

One servant is fearful of his Master's attitude if he were to lose his Master's money, and goes and hides the money safely till the Master returns. This displeases the Master.

The only (valid) point this parable is making is that...

1) Bosses are unfair giving varying amounts of money to different servants.
2) Bosses are unfair in criticising employees who are cautious.
3) Bosses like entrepreneurial employees.
4) The employee receiving one talent had a right to feel aggrieved, because the others received five and two talents.
5) God, like any Boss, expects his servants to be productive.
6) Employees cannot be blamed if a Boss goes overseas, not leaving explicit instructions.
7) We should know that all Bosses just are unfair.
8) We should make the most of the talents God gives us.
9) Being cautious with the bosses possessions is right, even if the Boss does not know it.
10) This parable has nothing to do with the relationship between Bosses and employees.
11) Bosses have a right to expect employees to be productive.
12) God is always fair and believes in share and share alike.
13) All of the above.

The second key to understanding a parable is to identify who in the parable represents God, and look at the parable from God's (this person's) perspective.

So which is the correct answer?

Last edited:

iouae

Suppose you hear a parable like the parable of the talents in Matt 25:14. You may wonder what the point was. A parable makes a comparison, comparing a physical situation with a spiritual principle. Parable is a shortening of comPARABLE.

The first key to understanding a parable is to realise that every parable makes one and only one spiritual point.

So what is the point behind the parable of the talents?

Here is the parable in summary.
A Master entrusts three of his servants with varying amounts of his money (talents) and tells them to occupy themselves doing something with that money while he is gone on a long trip.

Two servants double the master's money, pleasing the master.

One servant is fearful of his Master's attitude if he were to lose his Master's money, and goes and hides the money safely till the Master returns. This displeases the Master.

The only (valid) point this parable is making is that...

1) Bosses are unfair giving varying amounts of money to different servants.
2) Bosses are unfair in criticising employees who are cautious.
3) Bosses like entrepreneurial employees.
4) The employee receiving one talent had a right to feel aggrieved, because the others received five and two talents.
5) God, like any Boss, expects his servants to be productive.
6) Employees cannot be blamed if a Boss goes overseas, not leaving explicit instructions.
7) We should know that all Bosses just are unfair.
8) We should make the most of the talents God gives us.
9) Being cautious with the bosses possessions is right, even if the Boss does not know it.
10) This parable has nothing to do with the relationship between Bosses and employees.
11) Bosses have a right to expect employees to be productive.
12) God is always fair and believes in share and share alike.
13) All of the above.

The second key to understanding a parable is to identify who in the parable represents God, and look at the parable from God's (this person's) perspective.

So which is the correct answer?

The 3 keys to understanding parables are...

1) Parables make one point only

2) Find God in the parable and His perspective

3)Forget about what’s fair or democratic or distracting

Point 2, find God in the Parable. The Nobleman or Master in the parable represents God.
Looking at the parable of the talents from the nobleman's perspective the answer has to be 5) God, like any Boss, expects his servants to be productive.

We are not distracted by looking at it from the servants perspective that they must develop their talents or their potential. The parable has nothing to do with this. And point 3 we do not get distracted by questions of how fair it is to give different numbers of talents to each servant. Nor are we distracted by the prudence of hiding one's money. From the Master's point of view, he wants a return on his money when he returns.

Likewise Christ wants to find His servants have been profitable to Him, while He was away.

For an explanation of other parables from the same perspective, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYQcN-Z_kF8

beameup

Could you perhaps elaborate on that key Beameup?
Sure.
For I say that Christ has become a servant [minister] to the circumcision on behalf of the truth of God to confirm the promises given to the fathers [patriarchs] - Romans 15:8
In other words, Christ came unto his own people preaching the Kingdom of God. Jews understood the "Kingdom" from the Old Testament to be the Reign of Messiah upon the Earth (ie: Millennium). Of course they rejected the Kingdom in favor of service to Caesar.

Paul is the one to bring the news to the Gentiles of a heavenly kingdom to those who professed faith in Christ.

Danoh

Sure.
For I say that Christ has become a servant [minister] to the circumcision on behalf of the truth of God to confirm the promises given to the fathers [patriarchs] - Romans 15:8
In other words, Christ came unto his own people preaching the Kingdom of God. Jews understood the "Kingdom" from the Old Testament to be the Reign of Messiah upon the Earth (ie: Millennium). Of course they rejected the Kingdom in favor of service to Caesar.

Paul is the one to bring the news to the Gentiles of a heavenly kingdom to those who professed faith in Christ.

Yep.

Matthew 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Did He mention Isaiah?

Hmmm...

Isaiah 1:1 The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah. 1:2 Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth: for the LORD hath spoken, I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me. 1:3 The ox knoweth his owner, and the *** his master's crib: but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider. 1:4 Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward.

Yep...

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mark 4:13 says if you don't understand this parable you won't understand any of the parables.

iouae

The 3 keys to understanding parables are...

1) Parables make one point only

2) Find God in the parable and His perspective

3)Forget about what’s fair or democratic or distracting

Let's apply these three principles to the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32).

It is clear that the father represents God or The Father. Thus we have satisfied point 2 which is that we have found God in the parable. From this father's perspective we see that irrespective of what the prodigal son has done, the father is happy to welcome him back. Thus we have now satisfied point 1 by finding the main point of the parable.

And we must not get distracted by the unfairness of this son squandering his fathers wealth and not getting punished. Neither are we distracted by the unfairness of the good older brother never getting a party thrown for him because he is constantly good. Thus point three is satisfied in that we are not distracted by issues of fairness.

iouae

Let's apply the three principles to understanding parables to this difficult parable.

In particular one is going to have to apply principle 3 which is to overlook what looks unfair or unjust, or just wrong. The parable is making only one point, from God's point of view.

Luk 16:1
And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods,
And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.
Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.
I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.
So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?
And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.
Luk 16:6
And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.
Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.
And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.
And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.