• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

The "I don't believe God exists"-shtick/Fun with tautology

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Whenever God-despisers say to Christians, "I don't believe God exists!", one of the following two things is the case:
  • The God-despiser is referring, by the word, "God", to that to which Christians are referring, by the word, "God" (for instance, when we affirm the truth that "In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth").
  • The God-despiser is not referring, by the word, "God", to that to which Christians are referring by it.
And here is what Christians are referring to by the word, "God": The existing, personal being Who created mankind.

In affirming that God--the existing, personal being Who created mankind--exists, the Christian is affirming a tautology. The Christian, in affirming this tautology, is affirming something that is necessarily true--something that cannot be false.

So, if the God-despiser--when he/she says to Christians, "I don't believe God exists!"--is referring, by the word, "God", to what Christians are referring to by God when we say, "God exists!", then the following is what the God-despiser is saying:

"I don't believe God exists!" = "I don't believe [the existing, personal being Who created mankind] exists!"

The God-despiser is (while somehow keeping a straight face, and without blushing) telling us that he/she does not believe a tautology: 'The existing, personal being Who created mankind exists'.

Only fools could be proud to go about saying that they do not believe what is necessarily true, and necessarily not false. And that's exactly what God-despisers are: fools.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. - Psalm 14:1

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
The 20th century philosopher L. Wittgenstein, near the end of his life---I mean really near, like within weeks of his demise---tackled the matter of certainty. He never said the following, but it clicked together for me as I read this short book, against the backdrop of everything else he had ever written.

The gold standard for certainty, philosophically or otherwise, is mathematical certainty. Twice two is four. 100 percent certain. But is there any other things that we can know with this same level of absolute certainty, besides just math and numbers?

LW said yes, for one example, he wrote about his hand. He said (or perhaps he only implied, or perhaps I just concluded this based on his whole oeuvre) that it was as certain as he had a hand, than that twice two is four.

So to the OP: Tautologies are as certain as mathematics. We know absolutely that whatever is the case, is the case. We know that if A, then A---no matter what A is. We know that either A or not-A is true, again no matter what A is. 'A' stands for a proposition, a sentence, an indicative declarative, an idea, or a concept. Every idea is either yes or no, true or false, 1 or 0, up or down. The idea that a circle is not a square, is either true or false, and if it is true that a circle is not a square, then a circle is not a square. We can and do know this with the absolute certainty that we reserve for math and numbers, and also for non-tautological statements such as "I have a hand".

Thanks.