The Heresy Jehovah’s Witnesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorL

Greetings again Trump Gurl,
Well I don't read Hebrew or Greek and I am not a Bible scholar and neither is anyone else here. We can only go with who we trust right? I have listened to James Akin and he is pretty brilliant and I trust his call.
Yes, he has some interesting insights into the various translations and recommends the RSV. There are a number of books that deal with the subject of the different translations and they give various recommendations. I like the following towards the end of his article:
“In the end, there may not be a need to select only one translation of the Bible to use. There is no reason why a Catholic cannot collect several versions of the Bible, aware of the strengths and weaknesses of each. It is often possible to get a better sense of what is being said in a passage by comparing several different translations.”

What surprised me at work, in our section we had what I could describe as one of the most religious Catholics that I have ever met. But what surprised me is that he told me that he did not have a Bible. I tried to discuss the encounter between Peter and Jesus in John 21 but he did not seem interested. He was very familiar with seven sacraments and other Catholic concepts. He was close to the local priest and was chosen to play the part of Jesus in one of their enactments, stations of the cross ??

I am very used to the KJV and its language and most of the readers and speakers in my fellowship use the KJV, with the occasional comment from other versions. I read at my desk from an Interlinear RV / KJV (my grandmother’s preferred Bible and my copy is from my mother) and this immediately shows the different words or phrases from the RV where they attempted, usually successfully (especially in the OT), to correct or improve the KJV. In our meeting I read from a NASB Study Bible and this also allows for a comparison with the speaker when he is using the KJV. At my computer I read from the KJV, but if looking at a particular verse the Bible program has a “Power Lookup” and it will list the verse highlighted in about 20 different translations for comparison. I used this to check for Lonster’s so-called translation of John 1:1 and could not find it. I was going to check my print copies of The Message “translation” which is not really a translation, and the Amplified Bible, but Lonster revealed that his “translation” was his own commentary.

Kind regards
Trevor

Lon

It kinda is irrefutable. Acts 11:26, which you produced shows it when it states "The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch". A disciple is someone who is a student, pupil, or follower of someone, the "disciples" of Christ were called "Christians", as Acts 11:26 states. If people dedicate themselves to Christ and his teachings they are his disciples, therefore, they are chrisitans; being a disciple of Christ is synonymous with being a Christian, as Acts 11:26 shows. If someone does not follow Christ they are not a Christian, if someone does follow Christ then they are a Christian, it's that simple and irrefutable. Nowhere in the scripture are we told that to be called a Christian we must adopt the teaching of the trinity doctrine, which was not taught by Jesus or the apostles. Please do not respond to this matter unless you bring scriptural references that defines a Christian further than what I've expressed.
There is a need to be careful with true statements. There is not a possibility of 'kinda' and irrefutable in the same sentence. The need is rather to observe what is given and scripture with an attempt to go no further, or at least to make it clear when we are giving our own thoughts 'after'' the scripture presentation is ended. Our goals in theological discussion is to show/reveal/discuss what the scripture says, and what it respectively means in conveyance to us, as well as where we may consider if 'what it means' to another is supported by the text and contextual meaning. All of Christendom, including ones who are considered orthodox, have gotten into a pattern of not reading scriptures for context. I've seen a few 'bible in a year' programs that encourage eisegesis and compartmentalized theology. While arranging books may be advisable for reading through the Bible in a year, reading schedules do odd things that have parishioners reading things out of context. Again, for the need of keeping statements as close for verification with scripture is the caution and aim.
You ask a lot of questions for someone who refuses to answer my own questions.
The difference? I'm not really bothered in forum, if someone misses or skips. While I have tried to accommodate a good many of your questions and even answer a few I'm not interested in, we are learning each others peeves I guess. If it helps, a lot of mine are progressive, thus answering any one of them should move conversation along. Just a thought/encouragement: I've seen you frustrated with this in the past with other members too, try to change it up a bit instead of just complaint: 1) Ask again, or for clarification if they thought they answered. If you ask again and they missed it, they may catch it the second time. If you ask for clarification, they may respond the second time. 2) try not to be disappointed. A bit of 'how we respond' is more important sometimes than 'how we complain.'
I've nowhere offered to be a spokesperson for all JW's, rather, I, as a JW, have offered to speak to her regarding the issue she has posted about. If I did not want to speak as a JW why would I offer??
A little confusing and I'm not sure you answered many of those questions. Did you have to answer? :nono: I'm commenting a little, but I've really no idea why Trump Girl started this thread. It may be simply to give out information. It may be to debate. Your and my dialogue helps flesh that out so I'm not disappointed. The intent may warble a little, but I believe our dialogue helps flesh that all out. Maybe the easiest way would be to simply ask: "Why are you doing this thread, Trump G? What is its purpose? Information? Debate? History lesson? "
Lon, you struggle to answer my basic question, what makes you think you can show me issues.
:chuckle: No, in fact I do not. Poor assessment on your part. I have the degrees, tools, wherewithall. At times you confuse "will not" with 'cannot' btw. If you make hasty judgment/assessment with everyday language and dialogue, the indication on your ability to adequately discuss the contextual meaning of scripture comes into question. One simply MUST ask: "is he hasty in scripture context summation too?"
Once you first answer my question on the other thread I'll be willing to speak about other issues; what point is there in conversing with someone who refuses to answer questions and cherry-picks the scriptures they want to speak about and the scriptures they conveniently want to ignore.
It doesn't matter. I 'get' to choose how I respond in thread, within the parameters of the forum rules. I also get to assess what is worth my time, and what isn't. As far as discussion with you, I do believe you are capable of discussing 'what scripture indeed does say.' If a time comes when you will not listen to very clear conveyance from scriptures, which I can certainly show, then much of our communication will end.
I believe in Gods word the bible, if the bible teaches it I'll believe it. So to answer your question, if someone was able to show me a truth and teaching from the bible I'll accept it; I'm loyal to God and his word above all other things.
🆙 Love to hear that. The Watchtower teaches exactly opposite: That you need to read their Watchtower studies.
  1. " . . . people cannot see the Divine Plan in studying the Bible by itself . . . if he then lays them [Scripture Studies] aside and ignores them and goes to the bible alone, though he has understood his Bible for ten years, our experience shows that within two years he goes into darkness. On the other hand, if he had merely read the Scripture Studies with their references, and had not read a page of the Bible, as such, he would be in the light at the end of the two years, because he would have the light of the Scriptures," (Watchtower, Sept. 15, 1910, p. 298).
I do not believe the NWT is perfect, it no doubt has errors, and there are certain things I do not personally like about it, but to say it is wholly inaccurate though is silly. The NWT has far fewer translation errors than most of the popular bibles in use today.
No, not silly. First of all, it isn't a translation. Not when it copies word for word from the KJV and ONLY makes changes on texts it didn't like. That isn't translation.
Jason Beduhn has previously said, "the NWT is one of the most accurate English translations of the New Testament currently available" and also "I have found that the NWT is one of the most accurate translations currently available". Deduhn has made mention that he himself uses the Kingdom Intelner Translation (interlinear of Greek NT) of JW's when teaching in the university he works in.
He's a professor, but I'd need to see the context. He has translated as well, but it is a very odd thing to say, coming from a scholar, that the NWT is 'one of the most accurate.' He wrote a thesis on translation bias but I think he's gotten so academically controversial, he is ceasing to be relevant. Of course his PhD tenure at Northern Arizona University will not come to dismissal. He is a professor in a secular university.

He and I are the same age, but I'd contest his statement if it is accurate but I also contest a few of his other odd notions. Sometimes it is just in the personality, and he has been this way since very young: contentious and controversial, from every indication of stories concerning him, thus not the 'best foot forward' to convince any trinitarian who already hold him with several grains of salt, PhD and professorship not withstanding. If it is 'one of the most accurate' it is because it literally copies from the KJV word for word EXCEPT in a VERY few instances.
Trinitarians are less inclined to accept the NWT as it does not contain the biases that are needed for understanding the trinity.
No. Less inclined because specifically, everything BUT key passages are all KJV so why read a KJV knockoff? Jason Beduhn can read and like what he wants. I often read 'Greek' conversely.
Let's not jump the gun! Firstly, my offer was to Trump girl, not you. Once you show me your capable of engaging decently, not refusing to answer questions and point as you have previously done, I might consider engaging with you once more.
Not a problem. Instead, I saw a lot of presumption on your part. That you see it too? My goal is met without a lot of need for more discussion or fanfare.
There is no point in speaking to someone who picks and chooses what and what not to answer when it's convenient for them, even when the matter is pressed.
Honestly? You press differently than I do. I simply ask the question again and often try to rephrase it, if it is that important to me AND I'm selective to which are really pertinent. I don't like doing long-drawn-outs that grow unwieldy. Such isn't the nature of forums, thus I trim. There is actually a rule on this forum NOT to go over a certain limit in post size. Did you know that? 🤔
What's crazy is I've previously tried to speak to you about John 1:1 and you've chosen to ingore my key arguments about it, here you are trying to speak about it again.
Perhaps it wasn't convincing, compelling, or engaging, or perhaps your posts grew way too long (again, against a forum guideline).
I'm pretty sure 'length' was my reason for trimming off your questions, specifically because of the forum rule AND a personal desire to not get windy (this post is starting in that direction so I'd actually appreciate you skipping quite a bit, most of it unnecessary for revisit).
Emotion is fine when it's controlled, in Trump girls chase it appears to be uncontrolled, so no, it's not fine.

I use scripture to interpret scripture, I don't assume anything.

The above arguments are character attacks, not theology attacks; as I said, I'm not here to speak for all JW's, but rather, I offered to explain the issues regarding JW theology.

You keep calling me "NW", this means nothing to me; the expression "NWL" is an abbreviation of my surname.
Not a "New World Leader?" It is ironic that you are with the NWT, no? 🤔 Nevertheless, NW and L are all you've given for anybody to call you.
I'd be more than happy to speak to you about your issue if you want, 'after' you demonstrate you don't just run from conversations when they get too troublesome for you.
LOL, you are making assumptions again. It is the ONE single-most accusation I have against Unitarians because so far, it confirms my bias that it is true. "How could you NOT make assumptions with scripture when you do it all the time in your everyday life?" That's the first question that crosses my mind but I usually never ask. It just doesn't need an answer, it is a confirmation bias at the moment.
I worry that I might start engaging with you and you stop after I raise a single issue about your reasoning or ask you a single question.
"Hmmm, do I WANT to stay in a conversation where someone who jumps to conclusions raises an issue about 'my' reasoning skills...." :thinking
I may be wrong, but I have a strong feeling you don't want her to engage with me,
Yeah, you are wrong. 🆙
hence why you keep expressing such things in the hope she'll read what you say and decide not to.
No, it was an opportunity to tell you, perhaps with too much fanfare, that you are assuming a lot of things. You SHOULD be asking questions first. Perhaps your agenda is the most important thing though, and I'm all wrong.

Lon

Greetings again Lonster,

What you are saying then, is that your supposed “translation” is really your commentary and that you have added your own understanding of John 1:1 to the Word of God.

No. Unlike many I can actually read Greek, often with my Greek handbook, but John 1:1 I can translate from memory. "Jesus" would be a thought for thought translation. John repeatedly calls the Lord Jesus Christ 'the Word of God' thus 'his' translation of his own terms. That you disdain? :sigh:
My understanding of "The Word" in John 1:1 is a personification, and yes this is also different to the JW view.
Unguarded moment: What does that mean to you. It needs further explanation if you are inclined.
But you did not supply a translation, but your commentary.

Incorrect. First of all, this one was 'propositional' as in 'what if.' You make all kinds of hasty (and wrong) judgments. It'd be nice if I could get you to think first and posture second. You don't have the patience nor grace at the moment BUT I do believe you capable of both. Such is the eventual hope, to get you to pause before you speak and perhaps ask without all the snarky.
In actual fact I reject the NWT of John 1:1, "a god", and my guess is that this all started when one of their “scholars” misunderstood the “Diaglott” which they published, and having committed to this error they persevere and use all manner of claims to substantiate their error.
Greek translates to English fairly well word for word. When it doesn't there NEEDS to be a grammatical contextual reason to insert an idea in English and there isn't in the NWT. The ONLY reason is a theological construct, and we agree at least to there being an illegitimate biblical, contextual reason. It is my studied opinion, if quoted correctly in the preceding post regarding Jason Beduhn's believing the NWL is 1) a translation, and 2) "the NWT is one of the most accurate English translations of the New Testament currently available" is un-qualifying if true, unless he means as being word for word KJV, in which case he'd have meant "the KJV is one of the most accurate English translations of the New Testament currently available" only as an aside to acknowledge it is poorly in the same class, being word for word identical except when it didn't want to be a reflection or a translation on key verses.

It means I'd have to question his credentials, Phd or no. One simply does not call a nontranslation a 'translation.' It is academically irresponsible.

I have also encountered the same perseverance when they try to substantiate other errors, for example “cautious” in Genesis 3:1 instead of "crafty" in most translations or "subtil" KJV. They lock in their error by claiming that it was done by Satan as a ventriloquist.

Kind regards
Trevor
Understood. -Lon

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Yes, he has some interesting insights into the various translations and recommends the RSV. There are a number of books that deal with the subject of the different translations and they give various recommendations. I like the following towards the end of his article:
“In the end, there may not be a need to select only one translation of the Bible to use. There is no reason why a Catholic cannot collect several versions of the Bible, aware of the strengths and weaknesses of each. It is often possible to get a better sense of what is being said in a passage by comparing several different translations.”

If I had time for that, that would make sense. With school and work, who has time to read three Bibles? LOL. In fact, I am getting ready to stop posting in this forum because I have other stuff I need to start doing and I just don't have enough hours in the day.

What surprised me at work, in our section we had what I could describe as one of the most religious Catholics that I have ever met. But what surprised me is that he told me that he did not have a Bible. I tried to discuss the encounter between Peter and Jesus in John 21 but he did not seem interested. He was very familiar with seven sacraments and other Catholic concepts. He was close to the local priest and was chosen to play the part of Jesus in one of their enactments, stations of the cross ??

I would love to discuss this at length. I will return to that someday, but real quick: To know Catholicism is to know all that scripture teaches even if you have no Bible. The Mass is pure scripture in one way or another, the Bible is read completely at Mass over the course of a period of time, and every prayer, every single thing that is said at Mass comes from somewhere in the Bible. To be a completely practicing Catholic is to be immersed in scripture even if you have never seen a Bible.

After all, for over a thousand years, most people had no Bible and they could not read. The story of God was absorbed, in the readings and the music and the prayers and the liturgy, and even the stained glass drawings of the Church. Heck, a look at the Sistine Chapel takes you through half of the Old Testament and part of the new.

We will visit that topic another day.

I am very used to the KJV and its language and most of the readers and speakers in my fellowship use the KJV, with the occasional comment from other versions. I read at my desk from an Interlinear RV / KJV (my grandmother’s preferred Bible and my copy is from my mother) and this immediately shows the different words or phrases from the RV where they attempted, usually successfully (especially in the OT), to correct or improve the KJV. In our meeting I read from a NASB Study Bible and this also allows for a comparison with the speaker when he is using the KJV. At my computer I read from the KJV, but if looking at a particular verse the Bible program has a “Power Lookup” and it will list the verse highlighted in about 20 different translations for comparison. I used this to check for Lonster’s so-called translation of John 1:1 and could not find it. I was going to check my print copies of The Message “translation” which is not really a translation, and the Amplified Bible, but Lonster revealed that his “translation” was his own commentary.

Technology has rendered the question of which Bible to buy sort of moot. ALL Bibles are at your fingertips now. That is pretty cool.

Last edited:

NWL

There is a need to be careful with true statements. There is not a possibility of 'kinda' and irrefutable in the same sentence.
Lon, you need to loosen up a little. You said nothing in regards to how what I said was not irrefutable. To be a follower of Christ, or better put, his disciple, means you are a Christian; you've previously said this was not irrefutable, but, from what I can see, you've nowhere explained how what I've said is not irrefutable, are you not going to explain?
The need is rather to observe what is given and scripture with an attempt to go no further, or at least to make it clear when we are giving our own thoughts 'after'' the scripture presentation is ended. Our goals in theological discussion is to show/reveal/discuss what the scripture says, and what it respectively means in conveyance to us, as well as where we may consider if 'what it means' to another is supported by the text and contextual meaning. All of Christendom, including ones who are considered orthodox, have gotten into a pattern of not reading scriptures for context. I've seen a few 'bible in a year' programs that encourage eisegesis and compartmentalized theology. While arranging books may be advisable for reading through the Bible in a year, reading schedules do odd things that have parishioners reading things out of context. Again, for the need of keeping statements as close for verification with scripture is the caution and aim.
This is all fluff. I've made it an effort to have a theological discussion with you, you then claim I'm using deductive reasoning. I then ask you questions pertaining to what scripture literally means in line with your reasoning with other scripture, take the meaning of "all things" when comparing John 1:3 with Hebrews 2:8 for example, you then refuse to answer the question claiming its not worth your time answering. As I've said from almost the beginning of our conversations you cherry-pick the topics and scriptures you believe you can deal with and ignore the harder ones. Please stop pretending I'm the one being unreasonable and not reading and reasoning from context, your the one refusing to engage with me, not the other way around.
The difference? I'm not really bothered in forum, if someone misses or skips. While I have tried to accommodate a good many of your questions and even answer a few I'm not interested in, we are learning each others peeves I guess. If it helps, a lot of mine are progressive, thus answering any one of them should move conversation along. Just a thought/encouragement: I've seen you frustrated with this in the past with other members too, try to change it up a bit instead of just complaint: 1) Ask again, or for clarification if they thought they answered. If you ask again and they missed it, they may catch it the second time. If you ask for clarification, they may respond the second time. 2) try not to be disappointed. A bit of 'how we respond' is more important sometimes than 'how we complain.'
I'm not complaining, I'm stating facts and pointing out the irony. As I've said, you have answered some question, but when you do they usually don't properly answer the question or are the answers to the less relevant question, you conveniently choose to ignore the hard questions. Let's not pretend the you 'may' have answered the questions and it's who is out of line and maybe missed where you have answered them. In fact, I've made it extremely clear I only want you to answer a single question, you refuse to do so with no sufficient excuse.
:chuckle: No, in fact I do not. Poor assessment on your part. I have the degrees, tools, wherewithall. At times you confuse "will not" with 'cannot' btw. If you make hasty judgment/assessment with everyday language and dialogue, the indication on your ability to adequately discuss the contextual meaning of scripture comes into question. One simply MUST ask: "is he hasty in scripture context summation too?"
If someone only answers easy questions and always chooses to ignore the hard questions it natural to assume they're not answering the hard questions due to their inability and not due to choice, this is common sense.

As I have mentioned to you on in the not too distant past, my assessments of you not being able to answer my questions or refute my points are just that, my personal assessments. It is not necessary for me to modify my written thoughts by expressing they are opinions all the time. As I've asked you to do before, please take any comments I make that you, or even others, cannot refute my points, as my personal deduction.

It doesn't matter. I 'get' to choose how I respond in thread, within the parameters of the forum rules. I also get to assess what is worth my time, and what isn't. As far as discussion with you, I do believe you are capable of discussing 'what scripture indeed does say.' If a time comes when you will not listen to very clear conveyance from scriptures, which I can certainly show, then much of our communication will end.
You do have a right what to respond to, and actions also have consequence. You fail to answer my vital questions, if they were answered honestly then my points could be fully established; I highlight these points and you still choose to ignore them claiming they are not worth your time, no person in their right mind would accept such an excuse.

🆙 Love to hear that. The Watchtower teaches exactly opposite: That you need to read their Watchtower studies.
  1. " . . . people cannot see the Divine Plan in studying the Bible by itself . . . if he then lays them [Scripture Studies] aside and ignores them and goes to the bible alone, though he has understood his Bible for ten years, our experience shows that within two years he goes into darkness. On the other hand, if he had merely read the Scripture Studies with their references, and had not read a page of the Bible, as such, he would be in the light at the end of the two years, because he would have the light of the Scriptures," (Watchtower, Sept. 15, 1910, p. 298).
If you truly believe the average joe could pick up the bible and come to the conclusion of the trinity then you're also wrong. No person who has no prior knowledge of the scriptures would likewise come to the truth of the scriptures by themselves. Rather, for someone to believe in the trinity ( even if it is the truth) they need to be taught, this is either by verbal teachings or written words regarding established scriptural theology.

Also, you should note the article is from 1910, JW's understanding of the scripture and principles are not static, they change overtime. No only does it demonstrate that we, as a people are willing to accept and change what we understand about the bible, but it also means we don't necessarily agree with things that were said in the distant past.
No, not silly. First of all, it isn't a translation. Not when it copies word for word from the KJV and ONLY makes changes on texts it didn't like. That isn't translation.
It's not a translation you 'accept'. As I have said, I do not agree with all things about the NWT, although most of these issue may be in the minority, but it is very much a translation and numerous authorities have claimed so; just claiming something does not make it so. I'd be more than happy to speak to you about this further but will not do so until you can demonstrate you can deal with basic issues I raise in other threads.
He's a professor, but I'd need to see the context. He has translated as well, but it is a very odd thing to say, coming from a scholar, that the NWT is 'one of the most accurate.' He wrote a thesis on translation bias but I think he's gotten so academically controversial, he is ceasing to be relevant. Of course his PhD tenure at Northern Arizona University will not come to dismissal. He is a professor in a secular university.
Please go and research concerning it, he even wrote a response confirming his comments.
He and I are the same age, but I'd contest his statement if it is accurate but I also contest a few of his other odd notions. Sometimes it is just in the personality, and he has been this way since very young: contentious and controversial, from every indication of stories concerning him, thus not the 'best foot forward' to convince any trinitarian who already hold him with several grains of salt, PhD and professorship not withstanding. I
The statement was accurate.

Jason BeDuhn: "Thank you for your message. It is always a good idea to check out your sources and confirm their accuracy. In this case, I was quoted accurately by the Watchtower. I stated in my letter the virtues of the KIT, and the combination of factors that makes it such a useful volume. Since that quote appeared, I have received many messages such as your own, which cite authorities against the NWT and point to specific passages where it is felt that the NWT has not translated accurately. I always check every such reference, because it is certainly possible that I might have overlooked something. I have recently completed a book prompted by all of this correspondence, called "Bible Wars: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament," which I hope will be published later this year. Through all of this work, I have found that the NWT is one of the most accurate translations currently available. Of course, it has its weaknesses, as every translation does. But on comparison, it does quite well."

Honestly? You press differently than I do. I simply ask the question again and often try to rephrase it, if it is that important to me AND I'm selective to which are really pertinent. I don't like doing long-drawn-outs that grow unwieldy. Such isn't the nature of forums, thus I trim. There is actually a rule on this forum NOT to go over a certain limit in post size. Did you know that? 🤔
Hence the reason why I trimmed down all the question you failed to properly address to a single one, which you still refused to answer.
Perhaps it wasn't convincing, compelling, or engaging, or perhaps your posts grew way too long (again, against a forum guideline).
I'm pretty sure 'length' was my reason for trimming off your questions, specifically because of the forum rule AND a personal desire to not get windy (this post is starting in that direction so I'd actually appreciate you skipping quite a bit, most of it unnecessary for revisit).
No, all I asked you to do is explain why your understand of John 1:1 could be the only correct one according to the context and grammar, you refused to do so.
Not a "New World Leader?" It is ironic that you are with the NWT, no? 🤔 Nevertheless, NW and L are all you've given for anybody to call you.
Again, NWL is a slimmed down version of my surname.
LOL, you are making assumptions again. It is the ONE single-most accusation I have against Unitarians because so far, it confirms my bias that it is true. "How could you NOT make assumptions with scripture when you do it all the time in your everyday life?" That's the first question that crosses my mind but I usually never ask. It just doesn't need an answer, it is a confirmation bias at the moment.
It's not an assumption, its a presumption, there's a difference. If a child leave out 5 out of 10 questions of a math test it's typically because they don't know the answer, not because they don't 'want' to answer the question. I truly believe you've tricked yourself into thinking the question is not worth answering to excuse your inability to do so, again, this is my personal opinion, this should go without saying.

Lon

Lon, you need to loosen up a little.
In a conversation about Biblical accuracy? Not really going to happen. Perhaps you are in the wrong thread?

You said nothing in regards to how what I said was not irrefutable.
Not true. I don't care if 'you don't like it.' You don't get to make up your own facts. We were discussing whether what you said was 'irrefutable' and such has gone too far. It simply isn't irrefutable.
To be a follower of Christ, or better put, his disciple, means you are a Christian;
No, it doesn't. That is what isn't 'irrefutable.' "Christian" meant anointed by Him. "Many will say to me on that day, Lord Lord, yet I will tell them, 'depart I never knew you.'" Would you call one of these 'Christian?' Does it make sense to call one a Christian whom the Lord says to "I never knew you?" 🤔 Perhaps in your ideology such is completely presentable, but such is not irrefutable. I believe there are fairly decent cases against the assertion.

you've previously said this was not irrefutable, but, from what I can see, you've nowhere explained how what I've said is not irrefutable, are you not going to explain?
Oddly, YOU are the one that said irrefutable. Do you follow conversations well? Perhaps you are the one to blame for a lot of the confusions you blame others for? 🤔
This is all fluff.
:chuckle: You are a riot of understatement and overstatement.
Let's look at what you call 'fluff:'
Lon said:
The need is rather to observe what is given in scripture...to go no further... Our goals in theological discussion is to reveal what the scripture says, and means (that we may consider) if 'what it means' to another is supported by the text and contextual meaning.
🤔
I've made it an effort to have a theological discussion with you, you then claim I'm using deductive reasoning.
I then ask you questions pertaining to what scripture literally means in line with your reasoning with other scripture, take the meaning of "all things" when comparing John 1:3 with Hebrews 2:8 for example, you then refuse to answer the question claiming its not worth your time answering.

Or that it is out of context, or that it isn't relevant to the conversation, or that it is getting lost and away from the discussion at hand...etc. etc. etc.
As I've said from almost the beginning of our conversations you cherry-pick the topics and scriptures you believe you can deal with
Nope. You made that up. You did. You do it with scripture too because you just aren't that good at this. You should stop speaking and start listening at that point.
and ignore the harder ones.
What you 'think' is hard for another and for whatever reason is all in your head. These odd little delusions are in every poor scholars head and certainly in every Unitarian's thoughts and presentations. They are immature and incorrect. It means you are wrong, even if that's hard for you to entertain as true, it is true nevertheless.
Please stop pretending I'm the one being unreasonable
This work in the Witness Hall does it? 🤔 Not working here. It is all you, making up stuff. Do you just want to do my part in this conversation and get it over with? Go ahead. I'll sit back and watch you answer for both of us....
and not reading and reasoning from context,
Ironic...
your the one refusing to engage with me, not the other way around.
"You're." : Plain: Talking and responding is engaging. A childish demand of some expectation doesn't mean it is 'suddenly the other guy's problem.' It is still just yours. You are posturing. Absurdly. And it shows.
I'm not complaining,
You aren't? 🤔
I'm stating facts
At least as you think what a fact consists of anyway, no doubt.
and pointing out the irony.
You certainly present a lot of irony in threads. Very true.
As I've said, you have answered some question, but when you do they usually don't properly answer the question
Er, try again. Ask 1 specific question. You simply aren't a good questioner, NWL.
or are the answers to the less relevant question, you conveniently choose to ignore the hard questions.
Probably ask, don't tell...
Let's not pretend the you 'may' have answered the questions and it's who is out of line and maybe missed where you have answered them. In fact, I've made it extremely clear I only want you to answer a single question, you refuse to do so with no sufficient excuse.
Doesn't matter. I get to make up my own mind whether to comply or not. As with above, ask the one question. I might give it a go.
If someone only answers easy questions and always chooses to ignore the hard questions it natural to assume they're not answering the hard questions due to their inability and not due to choice, this is common sense.
In your head anyway. As I said, there are all kinds of ways to ask for someone to answer a question besides trying to inaccurately climb into their head or making odd assumptions that are ACTUALLY IN YOUR HEAD. You get that? Answering for me is 'from YOUR head.' There is no 'me' in that. You can carry on your own conversations, I don't need to be here for that.
As I have mentioned to you on in the not too distant past, my assessments of you not being able to answer my questions or refute my points are just that, my personal assessments. It is not necessary for me to modify my written thoughts by expressing they are opinions all the time. As I've asked you to do before, please take any comments I make that you, or even others, cannot refute my points, as my personal deduction.
🤔 You're a bit of eccentric. "Your thoughts" ARE your "Personal deduction." You don't need me or anybody else for personal conversations in your own head BUT an interruption like this one might help you get out of that mess.
You do have a right what to respond to, and actions also have consequence.
Yep. Like you carrying on your and my conversation, oddly without me....
You fail to answer my vital questions, if they were answered honestly then my points could be fully established; I highlight these points and you still choose to ignore them claiming they are not worth your time, no person in their right mind would accept such an excuse.
You are still crying. I've given you other avenues besides crying. Again, there IS a limitation rule on TOL for the length of these (thanks for trimming???).
If you truly believe the average joe could pick up the bible and come to the conclusion of the trinity then you're also wrong.
Its an opinion any way, isn't it? You can have an opinion. It is quite another thing to convince one your's in particular is right other than a personal opinion. You are given to overstatements and exaggerations (as are most if not all Unitarians from my short stay on this planet).

No person who has no prior knowledge of the scriptures
Short interruption: It doesn't mean what you think it does. You've given a double-negative.
would likewise come to the truth of the scriptures by themselves.
Well good. You just have the wrong teachers. Time to have the right ones 🆙
Rather, for someone to believe in the trinity ( even if it is the truth) they need to be taught, this is either by verbal teachings or written words regarding established scriptural theology.
Sure. I agree with you. Romans 10:14-15
Also, you should note the article is from 1910, JW's understanding of the scripture and principles are not static, they change overtime.
That is problematic. See more here.
No only does it demonstrate that we, as a people are willing to accept and change what we understand about the bible, but it also means we don't necessarily agree with things that were said in the distant past.
That's good. Perhaps one day you'll no longer be Unitarian either (it does damage to the Word of God).
It's not a translation you 'accept.'
No, a definition of 'translation' is taking another language and having it make sense in another language. The NWT is from English to English. That isn't the definition of translation.
As I have said, I do not agree with all things about the NWT, although most of these issue may be in the minority, but it is very much a translation and numerous authorities have claimed so;
Like the Russel, who couldn't read Greek at all? 🤔 That isn't a translation. English to English isn't a translation. At best? A paraphrase.
Please go and research concerning it, he even wrote a response confirming his comments.

The statement was accurate.

Jason BeDuhn: "Thank you for your message. It is always a good idea to check out your sources and confirm their accuracy. In this case, I was quoted accurately by the Watchtower. I stated in my letter the virtues of the KIT, and the combination of factors that makes it such a useful volume. Since that quote appeared, I have received many messages such as your own, which cite authorities against the NWT and point to specific passages where it is felt that the NWT has not translated accurately. I always check every such reference, because it is certainly possible that I might have overlooked something. I have recently completed a book prompted by all of this correspondence, called "Bible Wars: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament," which I hope will be published later this year. Through all of this work, I have found that the NWT is one of the most accurate translations currently available. Of course, it has its weaknesses, as every translation does. But on comparison, it does quite well."
Its odd, given 1) it isn't a translation and 2) that men like Dr. Metzger called it atrocious, while Jason, whatever his last name is (you've posted two different spellings so far), is little known comparatively in the theological world. Does it concern you, that you have to find an odd-duck from the theological school? 🤔
Hence the reason why I trimmed down all the question you failed to properly address to a single one, which you still refused to answer.
Honestly? I've no idea what the one question is. I'm sure you think it was pronounced and highly noticeable, but honestly, it just hasn't come to my attention in conversation. What is it (third time in this post asking)?
No, all I asked you to do is explain why your understand of John 1:1 could be the only correct one according to the context and grammar, you refused to do so.
This is THE question? The reason it is the only acceptable is simply this: Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ Λόγος, καὶ ὁ Λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν Θεόν, καὶ Θεὸς ἦν ὁ Λόγος. It is normally easy to recognize when one goes beyond the text, such as my addition of "Jesus." He is given in verses 17 and 39 but I did have to skip ahead to 'translate.' I had to add two verses that were separated thus mine isn't a translation, but the NWT isn't word for word in translation. It adds a LOT of extra, English, man inspired, ideas to the Greek. If one is capable, the word for word is simply clear with NO extra words at all added. Such is actually a 'superior' translation.
Again, NWL is a slimmed down version of my surname.
Appreciate the input and correction.
It's not an assumption, its a presumption, there's a difference. If a child leave out 5 out of 10 questions of a math test it's typically because they don't know the answer, not because they don't 'want' to answer the question.
Better to 'ASK' why they did that, don't you think?
I truly believe you've tricked yourself into thinking the question is not worth answering to excuse your inability to do so,
I KNOW you believe that. It is where you can carry on this conversation by yourself, like you already believe and are doing. For me? A bit esoteric when another, you, are telling me what I believe. Is this how you think regarding your own thoughts? Do you know your own mind? I'm very self-analytical so it is odd that another isn't, if that is what you are conveying. Whatever the course, I know my own mind rather well and don't attempt to lie about it.
again, this is my personal opinion, this should go without saying.
True. It was odd. Maybe, just maybe, it should have gone without saying. There may be something you are attempting in conversation, but the clarity isn't there. I'm not sure it is there for you either.

TrevorL

Greetings again Lon,
What does that mean to you. It needs further explanation if you are inclined.
I believe that The Word in John 1:1 is a personification, similar to Wisdom in Proverbs 8. To insert “Jesus” into John 1:1 is not a translation, but an interpretation, and why I objected is because it negates my understanding of this verse. The JWs believe that The Word in John 1:1 is most probably Michael the Archangel, and they support this view by translating part of John 1:1 as “a god”.

Kind regards
Trevor

Lon

Greetings again Lon,

I believe that The Word in John 1:1 is a personification, similar to Wisdom in Proverbs 8. To insert “Jesus” into John 1:1 is not a translation, but an interpretation, and why I objected is because it negates my understanding of this verse. The JWs believe that The Word in John 1:1 is most probably Michael the Archangel, and they support this view by translating part of John 1:1 as “a god”.

Kind regards
Trevor
Contextually, it does damage to the the Gospel. John isn't waxing poetic, his SOLE purpose in writing his gospel, inspired by God, is to introduce Jesus. John 20:30,31 Verse one is "Jesus" introduction. John calls Jesus "Word of God" through his epistles and Revelation 19:13 where he explicitly says Jesus is the Word of God. You may not agree on this point, BUT there is no arguing with the author (John) over his intent, which he gets to decide for the meaning. The whole of gospel is about the Lord Jesus Christ, including ancillary introductions.

TrevorL

Greetings again Lon,
his SOLE purpose in writing his gospel, inspired by God, is to introduce Jesus. John 20:30,31
The whole of gospel is about the Lord Jesus Christ, including ancillary introductions.
Yes, the Gospel Record of John is definitely centred in Jesus and as you quote, this is summarised in the following:
John 20:30–31 (KJV): 30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
This fits perfectly with my understanding of John 1:1,14. Jesus is the Son of God, begotten by God the Father through the power of the Holy Spirit, with God as his father, and Mary his mother Matthew 1:20-21, Luke 1:34-35.

John calls Jesus "Word of God" through his epistles and Revelation 19:13 where he explicitly says Jesus is the Word of God.
Yes, Jesus is The Word of God, not God the Word, the second person of the Trinity.

Kind regards
Trevor

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Folks, there are several points in the OP to be covered. We already have a thread that is entirely devoted to the divinity of Christ so lets not use up a lot of space on that issue here, okay?

Let’s examine some of the beliefs, which are peculiar to the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
  • They Deny the Divinity of Christ.
  • They Deny Hell and its Eternity
  • No Clergy
  • Corrupted Bible (New World Translation)
  • Jesus is an Angel
  • The 144,000 Elect alone have Immortal Souls

Then there are other beliefs that are just weird, like no Blood Transfusions and insisting that God's name is Jehovah.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum

Hell No, We Won’t Go?

1. “Wicked will be eternally destroyed” (that is, no hell, just annihilation). Verses given in support: “Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels . . . And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life” (Matt. 25:41, 46). (The NWT renders Matthew 25:46 as “And these will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life.” This is one example of many where the NWT distorts the text to suit the Witnesses’ beliefs.) “They shall suffer the punishment of eternal destruction and exclusion from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might” (2 Thess. 1:9).
You can see for yourself that these verses actually prove the opposite of what the Witnesses teach; that is, they prove the existence of hell. This is compounded when Revelation says of the damned: “And the smoke of their torment goes up for ever and ever; and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name” (Rev. 14:11).

NWL

There is a need to be careful with true statements. There is not a possibility of 'kinda' and irrefutable in the same sentence. The need is rather to observe what is given and scripture with an attempt to go no further, or at least to make it clear when we are giving our own thoughts 'after'' the scripture presentation is ended. Our goals in theological discussion is to show/reveal/discuss what the scripture says, and what it respectively means in conveyance to us, as well as where we may consider if 'what it means' to another is supported by the text and contextual meaning. All of Christendom, including ones who are considered orthodox, have gotten into a pattern of not reading scriptures for context. I've seen a few 'bible in a year' programs that encourage eisegesis and compartmentalized theology. While arranging books may be advisable for reading through the Bible in a year, reading schedules do odd things that have parishioners reading things out of context. Again, for the need of keeping statements as close for verification with scripture is the caution and aim.

A little confusing and I'm not sure you answered many of those questions. Did you have to answer? :nono: I'm commenting a little, but I've really no idea why Trump Girl started this thread. It may be simply to give out information. It may be to debate. Your and my dialogue helps flesh that out so I'm not disappointed. The intent may warble a little, but I believe our dialogue helps flesh that all out. Maybe the easiest way would be to simply ask: "Why are you doing this thread, Trump G? What is its purpose? Information? Debate? History lesson? "

He and I are the same age, but I'd contest his statement if it is accurate but I also contest a few of his other odd notions. Sometimes it is just in the personality, and he has been this way since very young: contentious and controversial, from every indication of stories concerning him, thus not the 'best foot forward' to convince any trinitarian who already hold him with several grains of salt, PhD and professorship not withstanding. If it is 'one of the most accurate' it is because it literally copies from the KJV word for word EXCEPT in a VERY few instances.

No. Less inclined because specifically, everything BUT key passages are all KJV so why read a KJV knockoff? Jason Beduhn can read and like what he wants. I often read 'Greek' conversely.

Not a problem. Instead, I saw a lot of presumption on your part. That you see it too? My goal is met without a lot of need for more discussion or fanfare.

"Hmmm, do I WANT to stay in a conversation where someone who jumps to conclusions raises an issue about 'my' reasoning skills...." :thinking

Yeah, you are wrong. 🆙

No, it was an opportunity to tell you, perhaps with too much fanfare, that you are assuming a lot of things. You SHOULD be asking questions first. Perhaps your agenda is the most important thing though, and I'm all wrong.

Lon, if you haven't got the hint already let me make it real clear for you, I will not engage with you until you answer the question I posed on the other thread.

There is far too much waffle in your response; as I have expressed numerous times there is no point in speaking to someone who refuses to answer questions and in your case a single question. I will not waste any more time with you until I believe it is worth talking to you.

If you are able to finish our previous conversation I will consider another one with you. If you want examples where you have ignored questions or failed to properly answer questions and vital points, please simply say so and I will show you.

NWL

I am never emotional. I am prepared to engage with you as long as you cease and desist those sorts of cheap shots that are meant to minimalize my posts.
You have purposely insulted me even when I have politely asked you not to, I have also seen you insult others; insults are the result of emotions, so to say you are never emotional is false.
First off then: You said, "I'm fine with using a different bible other than the NWT"

Good. I will actually reiterate Lonster's question regarding John 1:1,14
  • "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God
  • "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
The Word was God, God became flash and dwelt among us. God became flesh and dwelt among us.

How can you deny Christ's divinity when the Bible plainly says God became flesh and dwelt among us.
There are a few things I need to clear up. Firstly, I do not deny Jesus is a divine being, according to my understanding of the scriptures Jesus is a divine being. I should also mention being "divine" does not make one God almighty, we know this as others in the bible are said to be divine, Ps 82:1 (RSV) states, "God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment", notice what the verse states, God takes his place in the "divine council". This "divine council" is made up of what the verse states are "gods". Many scholars recognize the "gods" mentioned in PS 82:1 to be referring to angels, and others, appointed Jewish judges. The fact remains, the ones referred to as "gods" and are divine according to the verse. Therefore, being called divine does not necessitate one is God almighty.

In the beginning was the Word, and the word was with THE GOD (ho theos), and the word was GOD (theos).

You state, "the Bible plainly says God became flesh and dwelt among us", using John 1:1, 14 as your reference. My argument in relation to this has to do with translation; the translation you read from states in John 1:1c, "and the Word was God", that the word "was God" in this version is a definite translation of the verse. There are numerous translations of the bible and of the text where John 1:1c reads differently, in the indefinite or qualitative sense, for example:

“and the Word was divine” - The Bible—An American Translation, by J. M. P. Smith and E. J. Goodspeed, 1935.
"and he was the same as God" – Good News Bible, 1976, by the American Bible Society
"and what God was, the Word was" – New English Bible NEB
"the Logos [Word] was divine" – A New Translation of the Bible, by James Moffatt
"and the word was a divine being” – The New Testament, by Jon Madsen 2017
"and the Word was a god" – The New Testament in Greek and English, 1822, by A. Kneeland
“and a god was the word” - The Emphatic Diaglott, interlinear reading, by Benjamin Wilson, 1864
All the above translations and translators are trinitarian; numerous trinitarian scholars do not accept the definite rendering of the text (the Word was God), and rather state the word was "divine" or "a god", the reason they do this is because a definite translation of John 1:1c infers that the "Word" is either the Father or the Trinity itself. John L. Mackenzie, who was a Catholic scholar stated “The title ho theos [the God, or God], which now designates the Father as a personal reality, is not applied in the N[ew] T[estament] to Jesus Himself; Jesus is the Son of God (of ho theos). . . . Jn 1:1 should rigorously be translated ‘the word was with the God [=the Father], and the word was a divine being” (Dictionary of the Bible, pg. 317). Modern scholarship, along with people such as John L. Mackenzie, realizes that if John 1:1 highlights Jesus was with "THE GOD" and then goes on to say Jesus was "THE GOD" (the definite rendering) then Jesus is either the Father or the Trinity, as "THE GOD" in John 1:1b refers to the Father or the trinity.

Trinitarian and scholar Rob Bowman confirms exactly what I just said, he writes, “The significance of theon being definite in Clause B, then, is to identify the One spoken of there as a specific person-God the Father. If then, theos in Clause C were to be ‘definite’ in the same way that theon is in Clause B, it would then be saying that the Word was God the Father. Such a statement would contradict Clause B and imply some sort of modalistic view of God which of course Trinitarians oppose.”...“the point that is being made here is that for theos to be definite in this context-after just using the definite ton theon to refer specifically to the person of the Father- would be modalistics.” “Therefore, those who have argued that in John 1:1 theos is definite were in error…. As surprising as it may seem, arguing that theos is definite in this context actually is inconsistent with the Trinitarian distinction between the Father and the Son."

Anyone who argues that John 1:1c is definite needs to explain how such a rendering doesn't infer the Word is the Father or the trinity. The only correct grammatical and contextual rendering of the verse is that the Word was either "divine", "a god", or "had the same nature as the God" (or other equivalent phrased rendering).

To sum up, I do not deny Jesus is divine, nor does the bible teach that being divine implies you are the "one God". John 1:1 does not necessarily state the Word "was God". If we want to establish if 'God became flesh', we first need to work out if the traditional rendering of John 1:1c is correct. As I have demonstrated, the rendering "was God" in John 1:1c is not a correct translation of the verse when viewed in the definite sense. I do not deny that it could be translated this way if it was understood in a qualitative sense.

Trump girl, do you understand John 1:1c in the definite sense (relating to who the Word was), or in the qualitative sense (relating to what the Word was)?​

TrevorL

Greetings again Trump Gurl,
Folks, there are several points in the OP to be covered. We already have a thread that is entirely devoted to the divinity of Christ so lets not use up a lot of space on that issue here, okay?
I appreciate the reminder. I would like to give a brief response to each of your items to state where I stand in regard to each.

They Deny the Divinity of Christ.
I do not accept that Jesus is God, nor the JW position that Jesus pre-existed, either as Michael the Archangel or similar. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God, conceived by the Holy Spirit, and as such he was a human being, not a God-man, or a Angel-man, or a man that was previously an Angel or God, but God the Father was his father and Mary his mother.

They Deny Hell and its Eternity
I agree in general with the JW view here. The word “hell” is the covered place and represents the grave. Jesus died and was in the tomb three days without any consciousness and then God raised him from the dead. I disagree with the JWs here however because they do not believe that the body of Jesus was raised from the dead, but that his dead body was somehow preserved, failing to understand correctly Acts 2:27. The Catholic and Protestant concept that the majority of mankind will suffer eternal torments is grotesque and is a poor estimation of the character of God and his love, mercy and justice.

No Clergy
The hierarchy that is evident in the Catholic Church today is not what was evident in the First Century Congregations. One example is Acts 20:17 where it is evident that the one Congregation at Ephesus had a number of Elders. Paul’s warning in Acts 20:17-35 speaks clearly against the development of the “Clergy” and is prophetic of this Apostasy.

Corrupted Bible (New World Translation)
I agree, there are errors in the NWT, and some of these errors support some of the wrong teachings of the JWs. For example "cautious" in Genesis 3:1 instead of "crafty" in most translations and "subtil" in the KJV.

Jesus is an Angel
Jesus is the Son of God, not an Angel.

The 144,000 Elect alone have Immortal Souls
This is a wrong assessment of the JW position. They believe that 144,000 will go to heaven and be with Jesus, while the majority of those saved will be resurrected to live on earth for the 1000 years. I disagree with the JW concept as I believe that the 144,000 is symbolic number representing all the redeemed. I also believe that Jesus will return to this earth and raise the dead and the faithful will rule with him for the 1000 years from Jerusalem upon the Throne of David Isaiah 2:1-4, and they will rule over the converted nation of Israel and educating the rest of the nations.

no Blood Transfusions
Yes, their teaching on blood transfusions is not correct and a misreading or misapplication of Acts 15.

insisting that God's name is Jehovah.
The Name of God is more correctly understood as Yahweh. Jehovah is based upon a misreading of YHWH, where the Masorites added the vowel points of Elohim and Adonai to warn the reader to read these words instead of reading aloud Yahweh. Some of this error is explained in the Introduction of Rotherham’s Bible Translation. Having accepted "Jehovah", the JWs go to extraordinary lengths to justify this error, but when I was 16 and met my first JW at the door, a quiet studious JW quietly confided with me that the use of Jehovah was incorrect and the correct representation was most probably Yahweh (or Yahveh as he seemed to pronounce this). I do not assess that there are many independent JWs, as they are instructed to only rely on JW literature and general scholarly resources are considered to be dangerous and need to be avoided.

Kind regards
Trevor

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
The hierarchy that is evident in the Catholic Church today is not what was evident in the First Century Congregations

I must strenuously disagree.
The Catholic clergy consists of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.
The Church of the Bible has Bishops, Priests, and Deacons

Bishops (episcopoi) have the care of multiple congregations and appoint, ordain, and discipline priests and deacons. They sometimes appear to be called “evangelists” in the New Testament. Examples of first-century bishops include Timothy and Titus (1 Tim. 5:19–22; 2 Tim. 4:5; Titus 1:5).

Priests (presbuteroi) are also known as “presbyters” or “elders.” In fact, the English term “priest” is simply a contraction of the Greek word presbuteros. They have the responsibility of teaching, governing, and providing the sacraments in a given congregation (1 Tim. 5:17; Jas. 5:14–15).

Deacons (diakonoi) are the assistants of the bishops and are responsible for teaching and administering certain Church tasks, such as the distribution of food (Acts 6:1–6).

In the apostolic age, the terms for these offices were still somewhat fluid. Sometimes a term would be used in a technical sense as the title for an office, sometimes not. This nontechnical use of the terms even exists today, as when the term “minister” is used in many churches (both Protestant and Catholic) to refer to either ordained ministers (as in “My minister visited him”) or nonordained individuals. (In a Protestant church one might hear “He is a worship minister,” while in a Catholic church one might hear “He is an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion.”)

Thus, in the apostolic age Paul sometimes described himself as a diakonos (“servant” or “minister”; cf. 2 Cor. 3:6, 6:4, 11:23; Eph. 3:7), even though he held an office much higher than that of a deacon, that of apostle.

Similarly, on one occasion Peter described himself as a “fellow elder” (1 Pet. 5:1), even though he, being an apostle, also had a much higher office than that of an ordinary elder.

The term for bishop, episcopos (“overseer”), was also fluid in meaning. Sometimes it designated the overseer of an individual congregation (the priest), sometimes the person who was the overseer of all the congregations in a city or area (the bishop or evangelist), and sometimes simply the highest-ranking clergyman in the local church—who could be an apostle, if one were staying there at the time.

Although the terms “bishop,” “priest,” and “deacon” were somewhat fluid in the apostolic age, by the beginning of the second century they had achieved the fixed form in which they are used today to designate the three offices whose functions are clearly distinct in the New Testament.

The early Church Fathers recognized all three offices and regarded them as essential to the Church’s structure. Especially significant are the letters of Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch, who traveled from his home city to Rome, where he was executed around A.D. 110. On the way he wrote letters to the churches he passed. Each of these churches possessed the same threefold ministry. Without this threefold ministry, Ignatius said, a group cannot be called a church.

Here are examples of what early Christian writers had to say on the subject of bishops, priests, and deacons: LINK

Lon

Lon, if you haven't got the hint already let me make it real clear for you, I will not engage with you until you answer the question I posed on the other thread.
You are perfectly within your rights to do so 🆙
There is far too much waffle in your response; as I have expressed numerous times there is no point in speaking to someone who refuses to answer questions and in your case a single question. I will not waste any more time with you until I believe it is worth talking to you.
Oddly, I've NO idea what your question is, but I'm fine with that. It keeps these threads tidy and clean.
If you are able to finish our previous conversation I will consider another one with you. If you want examples where you have ignored questions or failed to properly answer questions and vital points, please simply say so and I will show you.
I'm fine with you ignoring me. Do you believe you may have some prima donna (prime donne) tendencies? 🤔

NWL

You are perfectly within your rights to do so 🆙

Oddly, I've NO idea what your question is, but I'm fine with that. It keeps these threads tidy and clean.

I'm fine with you ignoring me. Do you believe you may have some prima donna (prime donne) tendencies? 🤔
Refer to the last few posts on the thread "Jesus is God" where I've quoted you, apart from my last reply to you on there the three prior post I included the question regarding the use of "all things" according the Hebrews 2:8 and asked you to answer the question. The last time I asked you to answer it I told you I will stop speaking to you until you do answer it and you stopped responding, now your claiming you don't even know what the question is.

Once you answer the question I will be able to complete my point in regards to our previous discussion.

My previous statement and question: Let's go back to basics, I will pick one of the many questions I have previously asked you and await your answer, hopefully, you'll answer and we can progress from there. The main topic of our discussion was if there are others who are called G-god who are not the 'one God' and who the originator of creation is. You've previously stated Jesus is the originator of creation as scripture states "all things" (panta) have been created through him. Because of the language used you no doubt conclude he cannot be part of creation as "all things" were created through him, he therefore cannot be part of creation with contradicting verse ("All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existences" John 1:3). My question is this, in Hebrews 2:8 it states God subjected "all things" under man and "left nothing that is not subject to him", since God and the Angels would no doubt be included in the "all things", according to your own reasoning, does this mean God and the Angels were subject to Man, or is the "all things" and God "leaving nothing NOT subject to Man" not inclusive of God himself and the Angels?

Lon

Refer to the last few posts on the thread "Jesus is God" where I've quoted you, apart from my last reply to you on there the three prior post I included the question regarding the use of "all things" according the Hebrews 2:8 and asked you to answer the question. The last time I asked you to answer it I told you I will stop speaking to you until you do answer it and you stopped responding, now your claiming you don't even know what the question is.

Once you answer the question I will be able to complete my point in regards to our previous discussion.

My previous statement and question: Let's go back to basics, I will pick one of the many questions I have previously asked you and await your answer, hopefully, you'll answer and we can progress from there. The main topic of our discussion was if there are others who are called G-god who are not the 'one God' and who the originator of creation is. You've previously stated Jesus is the originator of creation as scripture states "all things" (panta) have been created through him. Because of the language used you no doubt conclude he cannot be part of creation as "all things" were created through him, he therefore cannot be part of creation with contradicting verse ("All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existences" John 1:3). My question is this, in Hebrews 2:8 it states God subjected "all things" under man and "left nothing that is not subject to him", since God and the Angels would no doubt be included in the "all things", according to your own reasoning, does this mean God and the Angels were subject to Man, or is the "all things" and God "leaving nothing NOT subject to Man" not inclusive of God himself and the Angels?
Good question. I'll answer. Let me put it back into that thread so as not to disrupt TG's here.

Status
Not open for further replies.