"The god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not"

beameup

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are perishing: in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 4:3-6

TestedandTried

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are perishing: in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

The god of this world seems to be referring to Satan. But in another sense the god of this world here could be referring to the idolatry of love of this world. What are your additional thoughts on these passages?

TestedandTried

What is the glorious gospel that's hid from them?

I believe it to be the pure Gospel just as we Christians know and love it. It is hidden from the unbleievers b/c they are as behind a veil as of yet.

II Corinthians 3:7-18:
7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!
12 Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13 We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to prevent the Israelites from seeing the end of what was passing away. 14 But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. 16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate[a] the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

musterion

I believe it to be the pure Gospel just as we Christians know and love it. It is hidden from the unbleievers b/c they are as behind a veil as of yet.

II Corinthians 3:7-18:
7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!
12 Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13 We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to prevent the Israelites from seeing the end of what was passing away. 14 But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. 16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate[a] the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

What specific facts must one know and believe to be saved?

TestedandTried

What specific facts must one know and believe to be saved?

These following passages were passed on to the believers as of first importance when confusion arose as to what was and what was not written by Paul due to a letter to the church from an imposter and slanderer:

I Corinthians 15:3-11:
For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.
9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

These words are saving words!

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Thank you.
This, however does not mean once saved, always saved. Every individual has the free will to return to the life and habits he/she had previously, which negates their prior efforts. Eph. 5:8 for you were once darkness, but you are now light in connection with the Lord. Go on walking as children of light.
Once darkness/previous life, attitudes.
Now light/our current condition having come to understand Jesus's teachings.
Go on walking/implies effort to keep from becoming stagnant or returning to that once darkness state.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

dcon

BANNED
Banned
The god of this world seems to be referring to Satan. But in another sense the god of this world here could be referring to the idolatry of love of this world. What are your additional thoughts on these passages?
The God of this world is definitely Satan. Other things could also be considered gods if we allow them. How is Satan the God of this world? Rev. 12:9 So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him.
Satan can no longer return to heaven. The most he can do now is exert his influence over mankind, which is exactly what he's doing. He doesn't care what people believe as long as they don't know the truth about God, his Son and his Kingdom or government.

TestedandTried

The God of this world is definitely Satan. Other things could also be considered gods if we allow them. How is Satan the God of this world? Rev. 12:9 So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him.
Satan can no longer return to heaven. The most he can do now is exert his influence over mankind, which is exactly what he's doing. He doesn't care what people believe as long as they don't know the truth about God, his Son and his Kingdom or government.

I concur, think the question here only centered around whether we know it is Satan being referred to...I believe so.

oatmeal

Yes, indeed.

The god (theos) of this world is Satan, also known as the Devil, the serpent, the accuser of the brethren, etc.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
IMO Satan is the god of this world and not G-D of this world. there is a difference.
Satan rules over the earth. He has complete control. This is evidenced by the religious confusion, crime, pollution, political upheaval; everything that is wrong with this world. This makes him a god. A cunning, deceitful and manipulative god. He's responsible for people thinking that all religions lead to the same conclusion, peace with God.

jaybird

Satan rules over the earth. He has complete control. This is evidenced by the religious confusion, crime, pollution, political upheaval; everything that is wrong with this world. This makes him a god. A cunning, deceitful and manipulative god. He's responsible for people thinking that all religions lead to the same conclusion, peace with God.

maybe this is why every leader in history has always been a completely corrupt scumbag.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
maybe this is why every leader in history has always been a completely corrupt scumbag.
Give that man (I assume) a cookie! For those who believe in creation, from the point of Adam's and Eve's fall til now, we are the most imperfect people ever to live on this planet. So it stands to reason that it's fairly easy for Satan to corrupt mankind now.

glorydaz

This, however does not mean once saved, always saved. Every individual has the free will to return to the life and habits he/she had previously, which negates their prior efforts. Eph. 5:8 for you were once darkness, but you are now light in connection with the Lord. Go on walking as children of light.
Once darkness/previous life, attitudes.
Now light/our current condition having come to understand Jesus's teachings.
Go on walking/implies effort to keep from becoming stagnant or returning to that once darkness state.

What effort is believing? Salvation is by Grace through faith...not of ourselves. Those who trust in God to save and keep them will be kept by God.

1 Thess. 5:23-24 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.