so
you futurists might take some time to look at what you have missed
the spiritualists are no better
just like the futurists
the future can be anything they want it to be

back to
the apocalypse

PureX

The only "futurists" I know about were a bunch of artists working around the turn of the last century. It was a very heady time in that science and the industrial revolution was really beginning to have an effect on the world, and utopian idealism was running rampant among the intellectuals of the day.

We tend to think of the 1960s as a time of big cultural changes, and they were, but the end of the 1800s to the teens of the 20th century was a time of enormous cultural change. So much so that it led to two world wars and the rise global communism.

futurism.jpg

Italian 'futurist' painting from that time.

S.T. Ranger

the futurists are like the jews
both are looking into the future
the jews are looking for the messiah
and
they will know Him when they see Him
you would think a reasonable jew could look back
and
see that it must have been Jesus
so
just like the futurists

back to
the apocalypse

What I have found is that the Amillennial and Preterist positions are usually lacking in a thorough inclusion of all relevant passages. There is a tendency to spiritualize more often than not, and to both negate and deny that the Prophecy of Scripture is actually Prophecy.

It is very easy to charge error, and to vaunt one's position over another's, but, before doing that, it is usually best to understand why someone holds to a particular view and what Scripture that view is based on before doing so.

And once we have done that, there has to be an authority that can settle the dispute. For me, that authority is the Word of God, and all conversations will have to end there for the determination of a proper conclusion on a matter. If one or both sides do not view Scripture as an authoritative source to settle a matter, then there is no point in discussion. We would better spend our time debating which fruit is the best with the Baker, lol.

God bless.

rexlunae

the futurists are like the jews
both are looking into the future
the jews are looking for the messiah
and
they will know Him when they see Him
you would think a reasonable jew could look back
and
see that it must have been Jesus
so
just like the futurists

back to
the apocalypse

I think that's actually a pretty apt comparison. There is a similarity between the Jews waiting around for a messiah, and people now waiting on a singularity that will transform life as we know it. Both seem like forms of eschatology.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It is very easy to charge error, and to vaunt one's position over another's, but, before doing that, it is usually best to understand why someone holds to a particular view and what Scripture that view is based on before doing so.

okay help me understand why a futurist is a futurist

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I think that's actually a pretty apt comparison. There is a similarity between the Jews waiting around for a messiah, and people now waiting on a singularity that will transform life as we know it. Both seem like forms of eschatology.

which is fine as long as you take an honest look at the past to make sure you haven't missed something

PureX

Are there people sitting around waiting for some phenomena to occur that will transform life as we know it (save us from ourselves)? I am not aware of any such groups.

S.T. Ranger

okay help me understand why a futurist is a futurist

It is really very simple: we view the Prophecy of Scripture that has not taken place to occur in the future.

All Prophecy will be fulfilled, and there is quite a bit that has not yet taken place. For example, one issue that is very controversial is the Rapture. We see a future fulfillment of the catching away he describes, which is said to include all living believers. Nowhere in Revelation is that spoken about, and in fact the only Rapture that is seen involves the Two Witnesses of ch.11.

Revelation is often dismissed due to the figurative language used, but I would suggest we have, despite parenthetical portions, a sequential series of events given us, which describes the Tribulation from beginning to end in chronological order.

Another issue would be the thousand year Reign (of Christ): this fits with the pattern established in the Old Testament, in which while Israel was the focus of much of the Prophecy, understanding the culmination of the Promises of God in the promised New Covenant established by Christ helps us to keep in mind that the promises were not exclusive to Israel. And we do see that it was the Jews that were first brought into the Church.

There is much that has to be looked at when discussing the differences between the views (idealist, preterist, historical, and futurist), but the primary issue dividing most of us is our view of Scripture itself. It does little good to discuss prophecy if one takes the view that some of it is analogous, and some of it literal.

To be clear, about my own position, I am a literalist and a futurist that takes into consideration that while figurative language and symbols are used, they always represent a truth that is being revealed about a specific issue. For example, just because Satan is described in terms such as dragon, and serpent, I do not dismiss the fact that Satan is said to exist as a personal being. The Antichrist is called a beast, but that does not mean we dismiss the fact that he is human.

Discussion concerning eschatological matters is one of my favorite topics, but discussions are much better between pre-millennialists, I believe, because I believe we are more inclined to consider unfulfilled prophecy to still have future fulfillment. That doesn't mean conversations I have had with the amillennial and preterist brethren I have met have all been bad, but, I am very much against spiritualization of any given text, and lean more toward an exegetical and expository approach to study.

And I hope none of this offends.

God bless.

john w

Hall of Fame
The Lord Jesus Christ coming to earth:to take care off the sin/sins issue.

Done.

The "second time," the second coming: To clean up this grave yard, this mess created by mankind, and take care of the evil issue.

The future fulfillment of prophecy.

Stuu

The Lord Jesus Christ coming to earth:to take care off the sin/sins issue.

Done.

The "second time," the second coming: To clean up this grave yard, this mess created by mankind, and take care of the evil issue.

The future fulfillment of prophecy.
It's a shame you don't think humans could take responsibility for their own wrongdoing. Take away responsibility by nailing people to things. Not a great belief system.

Stuart

S.T. Ranger

Originally Posted by S.T. Ranger

Another issue would be the thousand year Reign (of Christ):

where does it say that?

Revelation 20

King James Version (KJV)

1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.

2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

God bless.

S.T. Ranger

It's a shame you don't think humans could take responsibility for their own wrongdoing. Take away responsibility by nailing people to things. Not a great belief system.

Stuart

It's incredible that you ignore that man very much tries to cover his wrongdoing.

And you understand that God took those nails upon Himself, right? He provided a means by which the penalty for their wrongdoing could be atoned for.

God bless.

Stuu

It's incredible that you ignore that man very much tries to cover his wrongdoing.
I know, there are a lot of christians about these days.

And you understand that God took those nails upon Himself, right? He provided a means by which the penalty for their wrongdoing could be atoned for.
Yes, and that is about the most immoral offer you could make to anyone. You remove the last gasp of humanity from a person by taking away their responsibility for their actions.

Nasty hobby, this christianity. If there really is a god that behaves in the way you say, I think we should just ignore it and maybe it will go away and leave us in peace.

Of course, based on all the evidence, if it does exist then it seems to have done that already.

God bless.
Very low chance of that, I would say.

Stuart

Mark SeaSigh

BANNED
Banned
Atheist: I don't Hate God, I don't believe In God; I just talk a lot of Smack about Him every day of my Life.

=M=

Hater Much?

rstrats

S.T. Ranger,

re: "And you understand that God took those nails upon Himself, right?"

Are you suggesting that those nails - being nailed to something - would otherwise have to be taken by us if we didn't meet certain requirements?

Sealeaf

I was proud to call myself a futurist. But I was not aware it had any religious connotation. Color me confused.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
how can you be a futurist
if
you haven't checked out the past
and
your preconceived views on the apocalypse may be preventing you from recognizing certain events in history that could satisfy the prophecy