THE Founding Fathers Thread of All Founding Fathers Threads

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by aCultureWarrior View Post

Because there was no "separation" aside from creating a State Church, therefore the entire modern day argument that prayer in public schools, Christian monuments on government property, etc. etc. etc. is invalid.

The Constitution omits all mention of God and Christ.

God was already mentioned numerous time in the preamble to the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence. It was established in that great document that man's rights come from God. Not Buddha, not Allah, nor the many pagan gods and goddesses of Hinduism, but the God of the Holy Bible.

The State cannot promote religious opinions

I suppose an elected government official putting his or her hand on the Holy Bible as he or she is sworn into public office would be an act, as well as an opinion huh?

or have stake in sectarian religious debates.

What was there to debate during the Founding era, as there was no doubt in the Founders minds that Christianity was by far a superior religion to others.

There is likewise NO religious requirement for any elected public office.

That was something that was required by the respective States at one time.

Politicians can freely practice any religion of their choosing, and so can all citizens.

Do tell what other religions the Founding Fathers "practiced" during the colonial years.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Brewer defined what a Christian nation is in my above quote

In Brewer's decision Church of the Holy Trinity v. the United States, he simply states how Christianity was important to American life and central to its initial formation, a fact that is not really debated by anyone who knows history. The Constitution however, carefully omits all mention of Christianity and/or the New Testament.

So important to American life that Judeo-Christian laws were enacted.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
While it's pretty much accepted that virtually all of the white European population in the colonies identified as Christian, it's inevitable that the number of real Christians, those indwelt with the Holy Spirit, those whose names are to be found in the Book of Life, those who are members of the Body - that number is smaller, much much smaller - as a WAG, let's be generous and say 20%.

And so, to call the United States a "Christian" nation, even in the trivial sense of being a nation of Christians, fails.

sorry

ok doser

I find it fascinating that nobody recognizes that Acw is worshiping idols here, that he is in direct opposition to the commandment to have no other gods but God

McCoy

God was already mentioned numerous time in the preamble to the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence. It was established in that great document that man's rights come from God. Not Buddha, not Allah, nor the many pagan gods and goddesses of Hinduism, but the God of the Holy Bible.

The Declaration of Independence is a writing of divorcement. If all our nation had was the Declaration of Independence, we wouldn't have very much at all.

The Constitution is the document that secured our rights and established the brand new system of government that made America the unique "experiment" that it is today.

PS) Do you really think the reference to "Nature's God" is an orthodox Biblical one? You're aware of etymology of the phrase, right?

I suppose an elected government official putting his or her hand on the Holy Bible as he or she is sworn into public office would be an act, as well as an opinion huh?

What it is, is meaningless. And unbiblical. The solemn power granted to elected officials doesn't come from some vain tradition of vowing over a holy book. It comes from the consent of the governed. Politicians are absolutely free to swear to the Book of Mormon, a rabbits foot, the Quran or the Necronomicon on their own time and in their own place of worship. Again, such personal opinions about deities and ancient texts are utterly irrelevant to the State.

That was something that was required by the respective States at one time.
That is correct. But once again, the mere existence of a law, a practice or a cultural tradition in history, is not a prima facie argument for its Constitutionality.

Do tell what other religions the Founding Fathers "practiced" during the colonial years.

According to the rule of law of this nation-- specifically the Bill of Rights-- they were free to practice any religion and worship any god (or none) of their choosing-- without undue intrusion or penalty from the State. The notion that there was one acceptable way for citizens to believe or that the State would weigh religious opinions of citizens, is the kind of theodemocratic tryanny that make you chub up, but is antithetical to the distinctly American notions of liberty that make this great nation unique.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

The Declaration of Independence is a writing of divorcement.

You forgot the most important part: The creation of a new nation (minor details). 56 men signed the document that advised England that the colonialists established a new nation whose citizens rights come from God, (39 signed the Constitution 12 years later).

If all our nation had was the Declaration of Independence, we wouldn't have very much at all.

Every nation needs a foundation to govern upon, and the Founding Fathers establishing that man's rights come from God is a very solid foundation.

The Constitution is the document that secured our rights and established the brand new system of government that made America the unique "experiment" that it is today.

Why do you think that the founders put freedom of religion (remember, they only embraced the Christian religion and none other) in their first amendment? Sounds to me that they took their worshipping of God pretty seriously.

PS) Do you really think the reference to "Nature's God" is an orthodox Biblical one? You're aware of etymology of the phrase, right?

"According to Lord Bolingbroke [a mentor of Thomas Jefferson], the law of nature’s God is the Law which is found in God’s Word. This was the definition which was intended by Jefferson, and this was the manner in which his words were understood by our forefathers. The law of nature’s God upon which our nation was founded is nothing less than the Bible itself."

https://thefederalistpapers.org/curr...of-natures-god

Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior

What it is, is meaningless. And unbiblical.

And here I thought that the 30 or so references in the Bible dealing with vows and oaths were very meaningful (and since those verses are in the Bible, that makes them..."biblical".

I did not know that s man taking a vow before God and his wife to be faithful to her is...."unbiblical". Nor did I know that a elected civil official "vowing" before God and the people he is representing to uphold the pro biblical based laws of the land were..."unbiblical" either.

Sigh, the things one learns on the internet.

The solemn power granted to elected officials doesn't come from some vain tradition of vowing over a holy book. It comes from the consent of the governed. Politicians are absolutely free to swear to the Book of Mormon, a rabbits foot, the Quran or the Necronomicon on their own time and in their own place of worship. Again, such personal opinions about deities and ancient texts are utterly irrelevant to the State.

Yet they all took their oath on the Holy Bible.

That was something that was required by the respective States at one time. [religious oaths].

That is correct. But once again, the mere existence of a law, a practice or a cultural tradition in history, is not a prima facie argument for its Constitutionality.

"Religious requirements for political office in the United States were unconstitutional on the national level of the federal system of government established by the Constitution of the United States since the ratification of the articles of the Constitution in 1788. The No Religious Test Clause of Article VI of the Constitution expressly stated that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States". Additionally, the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, explicitly prohibiting the Congress of the United States from making any law "respecting an establishment of religion", was ratified as part of the Bill of Rights only a few years later. Neither protected the civil rights safeguarded by the Constitution from the authorities of the individual states of the United States, as the Constitution was only deemed to apply to the central government of the country. The state governments were therefore able to legally exclude persons from holding public offices on religious grounds.[2]

As a result of the incorporation of the Bill of Rights after the American Civil War, the protections of the Bill of Rights were extended to the individual states on the basis of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution.

State requirements for political office were not entirely abolished until 1961,"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi..._United_States

Evidently is was considered "constitutional" for close to 200 years for the respective States to have religious qualifications for holding public office.

According to the rule of law of this nation-- specifically the Bill of Rights-- they were free to practice any religion and worship any god (or none) of their choosing-- without undue intrusion or penalty from the State.

If they were an elected official, as long as they held a position with the federal government (see my above link).

The notion that there was one acceptable way for citizens to believe or that the State would weigh religious opinions of citizens, is the kind of theodemocratic tryanny that make you chub up, but is antithetical to the distinctly American notions of liberty that make this great nation unique.

They practiced none other than the Christian religion.

McCoy

Evidently is was considered "constitutional" for close to 200 years for the respective States to have religious qualifications for holding public office.

Things like segregation, barring persons of color from public places, discriminatory voting laws and prohibitions against interracial marriages were also legal and considered “Constitutional” almost everywhere, for nearly the same amount of time. This alone is not a valid argument for ANYTHING. The fact that you continue to reflexively lean on this argument, like some toddler with training wheels on his bike, shows how much you’ve surrendered cognitively and how little you read independently of your cult hero.

ok doser

State requirements for political office were not entirely abolished until 1961,"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi..._United_States

if you take a look at your link, you'll notice that these are generally the retarded Southern States, the same retarded states that struggled for so long with the concept that owning another human being was bad, and then after being disabused of this retarded notion by their wiser brothers from the North, struggled for so long (many still are) with the concept that being a different skin color doesn't necessarily make you a bad person.

Probably not a good idea to base your argument on the legislation of retards, Acw

1024px-Religious_qualifications_for_public_office_in_the_United_States.svg.png

McCoy

if you take a look at your link, you'll notice that these are generally the retarded Southern States, the same retarded states that struggled for so long with the concept that owning another human being was bad, and then after being disabused of this retarded notion by their wiser brothers from the North, struggled for so long (many still are) with the concept that being a different skin color doesn't necessarily make you a bad person.

Probably not a good idea to base your argument on the legislation of retards, Acw

Ain’t that the truth. It doesn’t seem to deter him and he appears quite comfortable in those confines.

McCoy

What was there to debate during the Founding era, as there was no doubt in the Founders minds that Christianity was by far a superior religion to others

For starters nothing in our conversation suggests to me that you have ever studied the founders or early American history, apart from what you contribute to your copy/paste Wallbuilders posts.

Jefferson for starters, gives every indication in his correspondence of being someone who thought that Christianity as an organized body, was corrupt and by extension it’s deified Jesus, fabricated miracles and Trinitarian ideas the product of charlatans. He DID seem to believe the teachings of the man Jesus were exemplary and his moral propositions beautiful; but now that doesn’t strike a former 20-year veteran of evangelical and fundamentalist religion like myself, as even remotely “Christian” in the orthodox sense. If you disagree, you must be even more liberal than I am— which I respect you for btw, but if true have to say that this news comes out of left field. There are plenty of politicians who believe just like Jefferson today and you regard them as servants of Satan, despite their unflagging admiration for the humanist and naturalist elements of the Jesus story.

Gary K

Banned
At the Constitutional Convention in June 1787 Ben Franklin gave the following speech when it seemed the attendees were to fail in their job of creating a workable constitution. In this speech Franklin speaks to events in the Revolutionary War and how the founders responded to them, and that they needed to use the same approach once again.

Mr. President:

The small progress we have made after 4 or five weeks close attendance & continual reasonings with each other -- our different sentiments on almost every question, several of the last producing as many noes as ays, is methinks a melancholy proof of the imperfection of the Human Understanding. We indeed seem to feel our own want of political wisdom, since we have been running about in search of it. We have gone back to ancient history for models of government, and examined the different forms of those Republics which having been formed with the seeds of their own dissolution now no longer exist. And we have viewed Modern States all round Europe, but find none of their Constitutions suitable to our circumstances.

In this situation of this Assembly groping as it were in the dark to find political truth, and scarce able to distinguish it when presented to us, how has it happened, Sir, that we have not hitherto once thought of humbly applying to the Father of lights to illuminate our understandings? In the beginning of the contest with G. Britain, when we were sensible of danger we had daily prayer in this room for the Divine Protection. -- Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered. All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of a Superintending providence in our favor. To that kind providence we owe this happy opportunity of consulting in peace on the means of establishing our future national felicity. And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? Or do we imagine that we no longer need His assistance.

I have lived, Sir, a long time and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth -- that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the sacred writings that "except the Lord build they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our little partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall be become a reproach and a bye word down to future age. And what is worse, mankind may hereafter from this unfortunate instance, despair of establishing Governments by Human Wisdom, and leave it to chance, war, and conquest.

I therefore beg leave to move -- that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations, be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the Clergy of this City be requested to officiate in that service.

So were these men Christians? If they weren't they were the strangest behaving secularists I've ever heard of as no secularist I've ever heard of behaves in the way the founders did during the war and Franklin was saying they needed to do at that time.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Things like segregation, barring persons of color from public places, discriminatory voting laws and prohibitions against interracial marriages were also legal and considered “Constitutional” almost everywhere, for nearly the same amount of time.

Are you comparing those things with the respective States requiring their civil leaders to embrace the Christian religion before being sworn in (on the Bible no less) into public office? While those topics are discussions unto themselves, I don't know about you, but I would love to return to the days where God-fearing men lead our nation as opposed to a foul mouthed unrepentant rainbow flag waving adulterer like we have today.

This alone is not a valid argument for ANYTHING. The fact that you continue to reflexively lean on this argument, like some toddler with training wheels on his bike, shows how much you’ve surrendered cognitively and how little you read independently of your cult hero.

The continuous point that I'm making is that the Christian religion was a huge part of American culture and American government until the communist founded ACLU put a stop to it through Supreme Court rulings in the mid 1900's.

BTW, were you aware that God IS mentioned in the Constitution?

Read the ratification clause. He's mentioned there.

Hey, did I mention that the Bible was read in public schools as well?

Evidence of that coming up.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
What was there to debate during the Founding era, as there was no doubt in the Founders minds that Christianity was by far a superior religion to others

For starters nothing in our conversation suggests to me that you have ever studied the founders or early American history, apart from what you contribute to your copy/paste Wallbuilders posts.

Have I mentioned that I love this book, all 1,067 pages of it?

The Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States.

Funny, when I copy and paste various information from it, ACLU'ers go silent. I wonder why?

BTW, for those that don't want to dish out $40+ like I did, it's available online for free.

Gary K

Banned
Things like segregation, barring persons of color from public places, discriminatory voting laws and prohibitions against interracial marriages were also legal and considered “Constitutional” almost everywhere, for nearly the same amount of time. This alone is not a valid argument for ANYTHING. The fact that you continue to reflexively lean on this argument, like some toddler with training wheels on his bike, shows how much you’ve surrendered cognitively and how little you read independently of your cult hero.

So, in your mind, the fact that all of which you listed were universal practices in the world at that time, the fact that they existed is evidence the founders didn't really behave in a constitutional manner. What I see you doing is applying your current understanding in our culture today and judging those men who lived in a culture completely different than exists today. You're applying your standards to men who lived at a different time, and in a much, much different world. And you think that is rational and objective? It is highly subjective and as such it is irrational.

You're trying to say that men who lived during a time in which electricity was basically a mystery, slavery was a world-wide practice and people of every nation, ethnicity, and skin color were slaves that these men didn't believe what they wrote and had most things wrong. Sorry, you'd be looked at as a loon and ignoramus if you were transported back to their time. I doubt you could have even survived in that day and age. You just don't have the skills, steadiness of mind, or a compatible morality to live in that society.

When the founders said freedom of religion they meant exactly that. They didn't say freedom from religion which is how the socialists read the constitution today. Those men understood that the morality and self-discipline that comes from actually living the Christian life was, and still is, the foundation of liberty, for liberty disappears as morality disappears. It's like Alexis de Tocqueville said: Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith. Until you understand the absolute truth of that sentence you are incapable of understanding the founding fathers and their beliefs.