The Force Awakens

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]The Force[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Awakens[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I finally got around to watching the movie "The Force Awakens." The theme seems to be about a Black man who ends up with a White woman, whom they care about each other. Together they fight against the evil White man and his empire.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My question here, is; Is the story line happen stance, or is there a political motive behind it?[/FONT]

CherubRam

My thoughts on the matter was that the movie makers wanted the movie to be appealing to non-whites. Did anyone else have the same thought?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I can't have this conversation because my capacity to not tell spoilers is, well, a dust speck in a hurricane :plain:

Oh, wait, this thread is talking about political agendas. Now I'm definitely not having this conversation.
Trying to ruin Star Wars with all that. It's a space opera.
A SPACE OPERA, which replaced one black guy for another- or did people forget about Lando :freak:

lando_calrissian_billy_dee_williams_01.jpg

CherubRam

I can't have this conversation because my capacity to not tell spoilers is, well, a dust speck in a hurricane :plain:

Oh, wait, this thread is talking about political agendas. Now I'm definitely not having this conversation.
Trying to ruin Star Wars with all that. It's a space opera.
A SPACE OPERA, which replaced one black guy for another- or did people forget about Lando :freak:

lando_calrissian_billy_dee_williams_01.jpg

His role in the movie was not the main theme.

Tyrathca

FYI for those who haven't seen the film [**SPOILERS!!!!**]

The Force Awakens

I finally got around to watching the movie "The Force Awakens." The theme seems to be about a Black man who ends up with a White woman, whom they care about each other.
I'm not sure we watched the same movie. At what point does the "black man" (His name is Fin by the way) end up with the "white woman" (Who also has a name, it's Rey)? Sure Fin pines after Rey (who doesn't seem to notice) but at no point does he "end up" with her unless I've forgot a scene. In fact the movies conclusion is Rey disappearing to find Luke and Fin left still pining after her but left completely behind.

If you really want to race it up/politically incorrectify this then: this is a story in which a non-integral plot ark is "black guy gets friend-zoned by white girl"

Together they fight against the evil White man and his empire.
But they are lead by a guy in a BLACK suit! :chuckle: But seriously few of the Empire cast have helmets off to see race and one of the main Stomrtrooper commanders (Captain Phasma) is a woman and the Supreme Leader Snoke is not even human let alone a "white guy"

My question here, is; Is the story line happen stance, or is there a political motive behind it?
Ask yourself instead this: How could the producers have introduced an appropriately (for the source material) ethnically diverse and gender balanced cast and not have been accused of this? Should they have gone out of their way to make sure they didn't look like there was a political motive behind putting a "black guy" and a "white girl" in as the main heroes? (which they actually fail in the end anyway, there are WAAAAY to many "white guys" on both sides in the film, though this is partially a limitation from prior movie's heroes). Keep in mind that the movies NEVER mention race EVER. All humans are just "humans" and the distinction is instead made with species.

Should they have been racist and politically motivated in internationally not cast these actors int heir roles in order to not seem racist and politically motivated in choosing to cast them? Hmmmm?

Or maybe not everyone is as obsessed with race as you are. :shrug:

CherubRam

FYI for those who haven't seen the film [**SPOILERS!!!!**]

[FONT=&] I'm not sure we watched the same movie. At what point does the "black man" (His name is Fin by the way) end up with the "white woman" (Who also has a name, it's Rey)? Sure Fin pines after Rey (who doesn't seem to notice) but at no point does he "end up" with her unless I've forgot a scene. In fact the movies conclusion is Rey disappearing to find Luke and Fin left still pining after her but left completely behind.

If you really want to race it up/politically incorrectify this then: this is a story in which a non-integral plot ark is "black guy gets friend-zoned by white girl"

[/FONT] But they are lead by a guy in a BLACK suit! :chuckle: But seriously few of the Empire cast have helmets off to see race and one of the main Stomrtrooper commanders (Captain Phasma) is a woman and the Supreme Leader Snoke is not even human let alone a "white guy"

[FONT=&][/FONT] Ask yourself instead this: How could the producers have introduced an appropriately (for the source material) ethnically diverse and gender balanced cast and not have been accused of this? Should they have gone out of their way to make sure they didn't look like there was a political motive behind putting a "black guy" and a "white girl" in as the main heroes? (which they actually fail in the end anyway, there are WAAAAY to many "white guys" on both sides in the film, though this is partially a limitation from prior movie's heroes). Keep in mind that the movies NEVER mention race EVER. All humans are just "humans" and the distinction is instead made with species.

Should they have been racist and politically motivated in internationally not cast these actors int heir roles in order to not seem racist and politically motivated in choosing to cast them? Hmmmm?

Or maybe not everyone is as obsessed with race as you are. :shrug:

I think you saw a different movie than I did. As for "race," all humans are the same race.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Force Awakens

I finally got around to watching the movie "The Force Awakens." The theme seems to be about a Black man who ends up with a White woman, whom they care about each other. Together they fight against the evil White man and his empire.
Did you see the first Star Wars film and if so did you think it was about romance across class boundaries?

Seriously, the themes of Star Wars have always been good vs evil, liberty vs tyranny, nature vs technology wrapped within the exploration of the ever popular heroic quest. Romance is usually little more than a side bar way to humanize characters so we can identify with them.

My question here, is; Is the story line happen stance, or is there a political motive behind it?
Was your come away from The Passion that it was about the hazards of changing jobs? :plain:

On Landau:
His role in the movie was not the main theme.
How did you miss the whole "black man competing and winning in a white man's universe until the powers that be slap him down because that's what the man does, he rigs the game" theme? :plain: :eek:

Rey showed her feelings for Finn when she says "we'll see each other again," and kissed him.
That's your definition of ending up together? :plain: Then Lea ended up with Luke and Han, I guess. She gave both of them a kiss at one point. Of course, not all kisses mean the same thing.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
It was not fundamentally different than, "Star Wars: A New Hope". The plots of the two movies were identical, they just changed a few minor things here and there. J. J. Abrams made it fun, but I was disappointed with the story. As to your claim about it being about a black guy ending up with a white girl, no, I never saw that as a major theme.