The Exploding Heads of Tyrannical Pro-Vaccine Fanatics

1PeaceMaker

How To Talk To Anti-Vaccine Advocates Without Your Head Exploding

This article starts with Ad Hom moves on to manipulation and ends with idiocy. This is my breakdown.

Trying to talk with people who are self-righteous, certain and profoundly wrong is a toxic conversational mix

There's an open-minded thinker for you.... it's dripping with hypocrisy.

And just after that, the clear motivations surface for the article.

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate, and who gets to decide, is the question.

Anti-vaccine advocates feel victimized.

You bet. How would this writer like it if his doctor got to call all the shots for his health? Suddenly there would be complaints. Where's informed consent for admittedly risky choices?

Reasonable people are reduced to sputtering, wordless anger when trying to respond to the various rationales offered for why healthy children should not be vaccinated against potentially life-threatening illnesses.

If by reasonable people he means pro-vaccine tyrants. Tyrants who like to say things like "prison is the right place for parents who don't vaccinate."

He claims that we won't hear reason so he goes into the next strategy of manipulation.

Rather than directly confronting false conclusions with data, a fool’s errand if there ever was one, I’d like to suggest a few aphorisms, some clearly ironic, that just might get the attention of the erroneously certain.

He then goes on to associate organic food and autism. Vaccine critics have been long pointing out the erroneous nature of assuming correlation equals causation but still the sheep keep pushing the numbers that show diseases dropping around the same time period as vaccines were introduced, ignoring the other things introduced at that time, also. (Improved sanitation, for example)

The Plural Of Anecdote Is Not Data

Until it's your two year old who suddenly stops talking and making eye-contact after a vaccine reaction.

But it's not anecdote that autism-vaccine study data have been manipulated by scientist-believers in vaccines, and they have the motive to manipulate all on their own, since they don't want to see the measles resurge and their confirmation bias doesn't let them see what is going on, themselves. They forget that the measles parties that spread the disease widely are a thing of the past.

Both Vaccines And Airplanes Are Dangerously Unsafe

Actually, if the airlines were cited for manipulating safety data we'd have a good comparison. So how about we look at the most popular drugs like Zantac, Yaz, VIOXX, etc? People died and were injured due to sugar-coating the truth or not seeking it at all. People die or are injured all the time from Big Pharma screw-ups and crimes.

The same cannot be said of Boeing at this time.

We Should Have More Guns And Less Vaccines In Schools

Do we need to expose the foolishness behind this argument? It's just an appeal to authority, and a flawed one at that!

Water Is Too Risky To Drink

Water is not inherently risky when clean and taken as directed. The same cannot be said of vaccines.

Let the anti-vaccine advocate know that their advocacy puts their child at increased risk. After all, the absolute safest child on the planet would be the sole unvaccinated individual in a world of vaccinated others.

As if I feel safe around vaccinated children that are shedding live viruses. Mmmkay.

I can't get the MMR as a mom because the Rubella might harm the baby I could conceive, if I'm not already pregnant. So why would I want that live virus in my kids, anyway? It certainly does not make me feel any safer. I want to stay away from recently vaccinated children like that

And don't get me started on Pertussis.

Plus, nobody puts my kids at risk when they say no to something like tetanus. How retarded this overgeneralized argument is!

1PeaceMaker

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/18/health/policy/18cdc.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — A new report finds that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention did a poor job of screening medical experts for financial conflicts when it hired them to advise the agency on vaccine safety, officials said Thursday.

As numerous medicines have been pulled from the market in recent years, worries have grown that experts may be recommending medical products — even ones they know to be unsafe — in part because manufacturers are paying them.

As a result, government agencies, medical societies and medical journals have become increasingly insistent that experts disclose potential conflicts. And while the experts invariably insist that they have done so, government audits routinely find large gaps between these disclosures and the experts’ actual income from consulting.

Now, can anyone show similar scandals regarding airline safety research?