The earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, it isn't, Dave!

I cannot fathom what in the world you're even talking about!

First of all, direction is relative - always. Up, on the Earth's surface is away from the center of the globe. Down is the opposite. If someone is on a hill or mountain and I am at the base of that mountain then they are not downhill from me, they are up hill from me.

I feel like I'm talking to a child. How is this at all confusing or not completely intuitive?

There would be no contradiction if whoever is saying such a thing was saying the river is flowing uphill from one frame of reference while flowing downhill from a different frame of reference. But I don't think that's what flat-earthers are suggesting at all. I think that they are suggesting that water would have to flow up the curvature of the Earth as if the pull of gravity was coming from somewhere other than the center of the Earth.

In other words, the flat-earther objection here is to a phenomenon that does not occur and that no one believes nor has even suggested happens. It's an objection born out of their own misunderstanding of the way the world works.

So what? They cannot move in the way they do if the world if flat. No way for there to be a south celestial pole if the world is flat or for the Moon and Sun not to shrink into the distance as they move out of sight. No way for people in the southern hemisphere to see the same side of the moon in the same phase as people in the northern hemisphere. And on and on and on. If the world was flat, it wouldn't look anything like it does.

Clete

Just stand and imagine you're on a globe, where you are standing is exactly at the very top off the globe. As you turn every direction gradually over distance curves down ward away from you.

Some one at the very bottom of this globe is seeing it exactly as you are. To them you are at the bottom and they are at the top.

Do you see it now?

There is no "actual" top or bottom to earth if it is a globe. If everyone's perspective is the same, and no one is actually standing upside down, then the earth is a plain not a sphere.

You have a false, straw man, view of flat earth.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Just stand and imagine you're on a globe, where you are standing is exactly at the very top off the globe. As you turn every direction gradually over distance curves down ward away from you.

Some one at the very bottom of this globe is seeing it exactly as you are. To them you are at the bottom and they are at the top.

Do you see it now?

There is no "actual" top or bottom to earth if it is a globe. If everyone's perspective is the same, and no one is actually standing upside down, then the earth is a plain not a sphere.

--Dave

Dave, the "top" and "bottom" of the earth are considered to be the north and south poles, because there's a north star and a southern cross. And while your analogy in general is acceptable, "top" and "bottom" have very little, if anything, to do with "uphill" and "downhill."

Dave, on the Noachian Flood, what is the flat earth model for it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
YES THERE IS, DAVE! Yes there is! There are mountains and hills and valleys and canyons. You're arguments are getting more and more insane with each of your posts!

Dave, there is no way for that to be true on either a flat or a round earth.

"It contradicts because I, Dave, am too stupid to be able to understand how a spherical planet works because I've watched too many flat earth conspiracy videos on the internet, and you know that it's true because it's on the internet."

====

Dave, let's change topics for a bit. And get to something that we both have at least a small amount of common ground to stand on.

The Noachian Flood.

Both flat earth and globe earth have hills, mountains, and valleys. Flat earth simply means the land and oceans are not on a huge spinning sphere moving through space around the sun. Flat earth means, what you see is real. The earth is seen to be stationary and "over all" (think big) flat. This is confirmed by commercial flights, the earth from above appears flat and stationary.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Both flat earth and globe earth have hills, mountains, and valleys. Flat earth simply means the land and oceans are not on a huge spinning sphere moving through space around the sun. Flat earth means, what you see is real. The earth is seen to be stationary and "over all" (think big) flat. This is confirmed by commercial flights, the earth from above appears flat and stationary.

--Dave
Dave, what is the flat earth's theory for the Noachian Flood?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dave, the "top" and "bottom" of the earth are considered to be the north and south poles, because there's a north star and a southern cross. And while your analogy in general is acceptable, "top" and "bottom" have very little, if anything, to do with "uphill" and "downhill."

Dave, on the Noachian Flood, what is the flat earth model for it?

My explanation is absolutely correct and irrefutable.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dave, what is the Flood model for the flat earth?

I don't want to expand this thread to include flood geology and the nature of the firmament above. But I will simply say that the flood story does not negate the flat earth model in my view. The flood story does not negate the globe model either in my view. But I will absolutely not get into the flood on this thread. My view on the flood will not determine if we live on a flat or globe earth. I may be convinced other wise but not here on this thread. I fear my subject covers too much ground already.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I don't want to expand this thread to include flood geology and the nature of the firmament above. But I will simply say that the flood story does not negate the flat earth model in my view. The flood story does not negate the globe model either in my view. But I will absolutely not get into the flood on this thread. My view on the flood will not determine if we live on a flat or globe earth. I may be convinced other wise but not here on this thread. I fear my subject covers too much ground already.

--Dave
Then make another thread for the flat earth model of the Flood vs globe models.

I'm going to go insane from this thread if I don't take a break from it.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Short quiz

Three cosmological models, which is the correct one?

What things do flat, geocentric, and heliocentric earth, all have in common?

1. I'll start with same calendar

2. What else?

--Dave

gcthomas

Short quiz

Three cosmological models, which is the correct one?

What things do flat, geocentric, and heliocentric earth, all have in common?

1. I'll start with same calendar

2. What else?

--Dave

When comparing models, it is much more instructive to list what they do not have in common.

1. Basic Physics is observably different in the two models. One of them matches reality. Guess which one?

2. We don't need a second difference. The first one is fatal to the other models.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
When comparing models, it is much more instructive to list what they do not have in common.

1. Basic Physics is observably different in the two models. One of them matches reality. Guess which one?

2. We don't need a second difference. The first one is fatal to the other models.

There's are important common "unknown" aspects to all three. The differences are already obvious.

--Dave

gcthomas

Do you see it now?

--Dave

'Top' and 'Bottom' are conventions: you can consider them to be wherever you fancy and it makes not difference to the reality.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
This is exactly what I was doing. Downhill from one frame of reference (sea level in general), uphill from another (sea level at the poles (if the earth was a perfect sphere).

Yes, I realize that. In fact, that's why I said what I said in that post.

Okay, so let's think this through...

The centrifugal force, at no point, is even close to fully counteracting the force of gravity. At best, it modifies its strength and direction. Centrifugal force is always at 90° to a line drawn connecting the poles while gravity is always pulling toward the center of mass. At no point does the vector line of the combined forces point at something that isn't nearly 4000 miles below the surface. All of that to say this. If it is true that the river runs away from the center of the Earth, then the river's rise away from the center would have to be very slight indeed, especially at its headwaters.

The distance from a pole to the equator is 3178.39km. The equatorial bulge is 42.77km. That give you an average rise away from the center of the Earth of 1.34 m/km. That is otherwise expressed as a 1.34% slope, which isn't much but I suppose enough slope for water to flow down but that's an average across the entire distance between the pole where the centrifugal force is zero to the equator where it is 0.0339 m/s². But even still, using the average number this would mean that water flowing toward the equator would run up a 1.34% uphill grade (relative to the center of the Earth). So, theoretically it's true but that just isn't very much at all. That's 1.34mm per meter. The average household level isn't that accurate. I doubt that it would be a sufficient slope to overcome the frictional forces involved.

Dave posted an image showing the river's downhill course relative to sea level (Which includes a bunch of uphill lumps and bumps, by the way). I'd love to see one that gives the same information relative to the center of the earth.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Do you see it now?

--Dave

Dave, this sort of argument bothers me greatly. This is flat out dishonesty. I know that you're doing the whole devil's advocate thing but some arguments just aren't even worth putting out there.

Up and down are relative terms. That means that up might mean an entire difference thing in one frame of reference than it does in another and in a third, it might have no meaning whatsoever.

As far as spheres, in general, are concerned, you're quite right, what is up or down on a globe is entirely arbitrary. We orient the globe the way we do, with the north pole at the "top", because globes were invented in the northern hemisphere and for no other reason. (If modern society had developed in the south, flat earthers would have a real problem. There'd be no "ice wall" and no way to explain how it's so much easier to get from Anchorage to Moscow by flying over...
What - the edge of the world?

But that has nothing whatsoever to do with the way rivers run!

When we human beings, who live on the surface of the Earth, talk about 'downhill' and 'uphill' we are talking about the slope of the ground going along with the pull of gravity (down) or going against the pull of gravity (up).

Your argument makes the equivalent to a category error. You conflate two entirely different frames of reference. This is either intentionally misleading or it is an example of what I said before where flat-earthers misunderstand some concept and formulate objections that are based on their own misunderstanding and not the actual facts of reality.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.