The earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
This thread is rather odd. The last time I heard about a "Flat-Earth Theory" (before seeing it on You-Tube) was in grade school. Centuries ago people used to believe in a flat earth, then, Columbo, (I mean Columbus) sailed the ocean blue and that Flat earth quandary seem to go away, until its rebirth on You-Tube conspiracies. Now, in 2017 some rather pretentious people are buying into it again. It looks as if a "Pandoras Box" has been opened. Hopefully, other fictitious theories won't be released, as well.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Your testimony is!

Just as the con artists on the Trinity Broadcasting Network do damage to the faith, so also does any Christian who stubbornly ignores sound reason in favor of blind belief, no matter the topic. The truth is rational! If you are seen accepting a cosmology that is clearly irrational, how do you expect that not to cast doubt onto your theology?

Satan is a deceiver, yes, but he isn't stupid!

Newton was a Christian as was Capernicus and Kepler and Galileo and a great many other people who were instrumental in figuring out gravity and that the Earth is a round ball that goes around the Sun. And they didn't do this for theological reasons but for scientific ones. They figured it out not because of blind belief in what the bible teaches but because they observed carefully and thought clearly and had an unwavering allegiance to the truth, whatever that might be. The fact that nothing they discovered contradicts the bible (and by extension, true Christianity) is a plus for the bible and for Christianity but it should be noted once again that the bible is not a book about science nor is Christianity primarily concerned with the facts of nature which will pass away. As such, Satan has no motive to spend the time and resources it would require to create and then maintain the conspiracy required to trick the world's population into believing the Earth was a globe that orbited the Sun when it was actually flat and stationary.

Nicolaus Copernicus was a Polish astronomer who wrote a book called “On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres.” Published in 1543 in which he rigorously describes a solar system with the Sun at center and with the Earth, spinning on its axis once daily, revolving annually around the Sun.

It's far worse than you think. 1000 mph is nothing!

In actual fact, the best guess (it's a really good guess) is that we are moving along with the Milky Way galaxy at approximately 2.1 million kph (1.3 million mph).

Because we know the Earth is moving and that the atmosphere doesn't get left behind.

The atmosphere is part of the planet, Dave.

Good post, Clete.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I agree. That is why there is no truth to the conspiracy theory that Uncle Arthur, on "Bewitched," for obvious reasons, wacked Darren #1, to install Darren #2.

What do you say, TOL audience? Let's take a poll:

Darren #1, or Darren #2?
There was no Darren #2. That was just an enormous conspiracy cooked up by the networks to...to...to...

john w

Hall of Fame
There was no Darren #2. That was just an enormous conspiracy cooked up by the networks to...to...to...

Sure....And Uncle Arthur really was not on "The Hollywood Squares."

What about Abner(Kravitz)#1, or Abner #2?Or Gladys(Kravitz)#1, or #2?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
But we can see the river moving, we don't see the earth or atmosphere moving is the point.

i can see the atmosphere moving :idunno:

cloud-o.gif

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'll try again.

We should see the movement of the Earth relative to what?

We see it's movement all the time. The sun rises and sets as does the rest of the things we see in the sky. It doesn't feel like the Earth is moving because we are moving with it but that doesn't change the fact that what we are seeing is the motion of the Earth, not the entire universe orbiting our stationary planet once a day.

And if you mean that we should see the Earth move while in a plane or other vehicle then again I point out to you that when a plane lands it is still moving along with the Earth and that when it is flying, it is not simply moving from north to south at 450 mph on its way from Oklahoma City to Houston but rather that motion is relative to the Earth. In other words, that motion is being added to the motion that the plane was already experiencing in is course around the axis of the Earth and the orbit around the Sun (and the Sun's orbit in the Galaxy and the Galaxy's motion through space, etc.)

This motion of the Earth through space has been very carefully studied for millennia. Every time you tell someone what time it is and/or the date, you unwittingly testify that the Earth is not flat.

Here's a terrific video that has some really well-done animations, ALL of which prove that the Earth not only spins on an axis (i.e. that it's a globe) but that it is in an elliptical orbit around the Sun. It's only 20 minutes long and it's 100% totally rational and not insane, inane or otherwise annoying.

Incidentally, VSauce is one of my favorite YouTube channels. I recommend subscribing.

Clete

If a plane can move through the atmosphere then it does not move with the atmosphere

If the speed of the rotating earth is added to the speed of the plane going from LA to NY is the speed of the earth subtracted from the speed of the plane as is goes from NY to LA?

Is the earth "inside off" the atmosphere? Does the atmosphere contain the earth? Saying the atmosphere is like being in a moving car makes the atmosphere a container just as the car is a container. If an aircraft can pass right though the atmosphere and beyond it into outer space then it is not a container in the same way a car is which is why the analogy does not apply.

If you say gravity makes everything move together then I would make the same argument.

I know about the universe, started learning about it some time ago. As you can see.

View attachment 25131

There is a history of rejection of the Copernican model that I was not aware of until recently. That history brought us to "relativity" as an answer. Saying space and time are the same thing, as the theory of relativity does, is irrational so excuse me for being very suspicious about the globalist model. The arguments that we are a flat and stationary world are not made by mad men.

--Dave

Last edited:

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The flood is indeed in the Bible... but, you opened the can of worms, I didn't... Do you have bible verses that support the flat earth theory?

I dig science and physics, but you said that flat earth is biblical. I disagree. In fact, the very account of creation even starts with implications of "Dome".

The dome is over the flat earth.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Excellent point, but firmament denotes a sphere and when coupled with the word "dome", it again points to a round earth.

And... Bible verses supporting a flat earth?

I don't want this tread to be a Bible study. Lets just accept that there has always been a view that the Biblical cosmology is a flat earth but there is also a view that the Bible does not say that.

--Dave

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your testimony is!

Just as the con artists on the Trinity Broadcasting Network do damage to the faith, so also does any Christian who stubbornly ignores sound reason in favor of blind belief, no matter the topic. The truth is rational! If you are seen accepting a cosmology that is clearly irrational, how do you expect that not to cast doubt onto your theology?

Satan is a deceiver, yes, but he isn't stupid!

Newton was a Christian as was Capernicus and Kepler and Galileo and a great many other people who were instrumental in figuring out gravity and that the Earth is a round ball that goes around the Sun. And they didn't do this for theological reasons but for scientific ones. They figured it out not because of blind belief in what the bible teaches but because they observed carefully and thought clearly and had an unwavering allegiance to the truth, whatever that might be. The fact that nothing they discovered contradicts the bible (and by extension, true Christianity) is a plus for the bible and for Christianity but it should be noted once again that the bible is not a book about science nor is Christianity primarily concerned with the facts of nature which will pass away. As such, Satan has no motive to spend the time and resources it would require to create and then maintain the conspiracy required to trick the world's population into believing the Earth was a globe that orbited the Sun when it was actually flat and stationary.

Nicolaus Copernicus was a Polish astronomer who wrote a book called “On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres.” Published in 1543 in which he rigorously describes a solar system with the Sun at center and with the Earth, spinning on its axis once daily, revolving annually around the Sun.

It's far worse than you think. 1000 mph is nothing!

In actual fact, the best guess (it's a really good guess) is that we are moving along with the Milky Way galaxy at approximately 2.1 million kph (1.3 million mph).

Because we know the Earth is moving and that the atmosphere doesn't get left behind.

The atmosphere is part of the planet, Dave.

This thread has been generating a lot of POTD's. Another one here.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It is just like the fish in the river. Think about it. It was your analogy.

That we live in an invisible atmosphere that moves with the earth at 1000 mph and yet move in that atmosphere as if it were not moving at all is like being in a river that moves at 1000 mph?

Was not my analogy.

If a plane can move through the atmosphere then it does not move with the atmosphere

If the speed of the rotating earth is added to the speed of the plane going from LA to NY is the speed of the earth subtracted from the speed of the plane as is goes from NY to LA?

Is the earth "inside off" the atmosphere? Does the atmosphere contain the earth? Saying the atmosphere is like being in a moving car makes the atmosphere a container just as the car is a container. If an aircraft can pass right though the atmosphere and beyond it into outer space then it is not a container in the same way a car is which is why the analogy does not apply.

--Dave

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Status
Not open for further replies.