The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
From your link:

In the Flat-Earth model of the cosmos, the North Pole is the immovable center of the world and the entire universe. Polaris, the North Star, sits straight over the North Pole at the highest point in the heavens, and like a slowly rotating planetarium dome all the celestial bodies revolve around Polaris and over the Earth once per day. The Sun circles over and around the circumference of Earth every 24 hours, steadily traveling each day from the equator during the March vernal equinox, up to the Tropic of Cancer at the June summer solstice, back down to the equator for the September autumnal equinox, and all the way down to the Tropic of Capricorn on the December winter solstice.

In the Flat-Earth model, the South Pole does not exist at all and Antarctica is instead a gigantic ice-wall extending the circumference of Earth holding in the oceans like a giant bowl, or a “world cup.” As strange as this concept may sound at first, it is a fact that if you set a bearing due South from anywhere on Earth, inevitably at or before 78 degrees Southern latitude, you will find yourself face-to-face with an enormous ice-wall towering 100-200 feet in the air extending to the East and West the entire circumference of the world!

But, this Flat-Earth model has been disproven by the free market economy.

Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions LLC

Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions LLC (ALE) offers air transportation, logistic support, and guided experiences for those venturing to the interior of Antarctica. In 1985, our predecessor, Adventure Network International (ANI), pioneered private flights to Antarctica for an ascent of Mount Vinson. More than 30 years later, we remain the most experienced private operator on the continent with an impeccable safety record, a strong environmental ethic, and a desire to share the white continent with other passionate explorers.

The five owners of ALE have all been active in the Antarctic since the late 1970s. A few have been involved with the company since the early days of ANI. In 2003, they came together with new partners to incorporate ALE and ultimately purchase ANI.

For as little as $49,750, you too can fly to the South Pole.

THE SOUTHERNMOST POINT ON EARTH
Fly to the South Pole, where all 360 lines of longitude meet and in a few steps you can walk around the world. History comes alive as you stand at 90° South, the ultimate goal of polar explorers Amundsen and Scott. Imagine how it felt to head out across the frozen continent and into the unknown over 100 years ago. Feel the spirit of determination and discovery that has inspired a century of Antarctic exploration and scientific research.

DURATION
6-7 DAYS
ACTIVITY LEVEL
Moderate
PRICE
$49,750

UPCOMING DEPARTURES
DEC. 14, 2018
JAN. 09, 2019

Rabbit hole
But it's okay Alice.
Yore ten feet tall.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Another way someone could prove the earth is flat (though, to be fair, it would be rather expensive...):

Take a trip directly south from where you are, however you can, and arrive at the "south pole."

Have a trusted friend remain there (or even nearby), and travel to the north pole, or anywhere on the globe north of the equator, but preferably far away from your initial starting point, then head directly south again, until you hit the "south pole" again. If your friend is there, and can verify that he has not moved in the entire time you've been gone, then the earth is round. If he's not there, or he says he was moved around, then the earth is flat.

Simple, but could get expensive, and you would have to trust your friend quite a lot... Or perhaps have two video cameras pointing at each other with your friend visible at all times, doing non-repetitive things, such as reading a book out loud, singing karaoke, square dancing, etc, the entire time you're gone... two friends might be better, so that if one goes to sleep, the other could stay awake....

I don't know. Seems like something that could easily be done if one was determined to to it.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Even the scriptures claim the earth to be spherical.

Isaiah 40:22 King James Version (KJV)
22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The following is a link to a video that was produced by Creation Ministies. It is just completely brilliant and fair and gracious and really ought to end the entire debate.

Be sure to check out the resources linked too below the video!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
If you think that the early church taught that the Earth was flat - you're wrong!

The Flat Earth Myth by Jonathan Sarfati

Summary:
  • Almost all the early and medieval church scholars who commented on the earth’s shape explicitly said it was round.
  • Medieval European rulers used a golden sphere or orb called the globus cruciger to represent the earth under Christ’s rule.
  • Columbus’s opponents never disputed the shape of the earth, but only its size—and they were right!
  • The flat earth myth began with a fictional account of Columbus in the 19th century by Washington Irving. Then it was aggressively pushed in influential anti-Christian polemics by Draper and White.
  • A final irony: the leading flat-earther today is an evolutionist.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I've posted this on this thread more than once already but it bears repeating hear at what seems to be the end of the thread....

Proof That the Earth Cannot Be Flat

The last few days I've been playing around with some math and thought I'd post some of it here to see if it might move some of the flat earthers maybe an inch or two back toward reality...

Let's put some of the sunset images we've taken to good use and see if what was observed can be made to fit with the FET (Flat Earth Theory).

FET claims the Sun is approximately 3000 miles above the Earth and they do not dispute well established distances between points on the surface of the Earth. I'm going to be using these two presuppositions in my calculations and you'll want to refer to the following diagram to keep track of the variables...

View attachment 26417

Side a is the distance from the ground to the Sun (3000 mi).
Side b is the distance from an observer to a point on the Earth where it is high noon (the point at which the Sun is at it's highest point in the sky).
Side c (a.k.a. the hypotenuse) is the distance from the observer to the Sun itself.
Angle A is the height of the Sun above the horizon in degrees as seen from the observer.
Angle C is always 90°
Angle B is not relevant to this discussion.

Note from the start that if the Earth is flat and the Sun is 3000 miles up (or any number of miles up for that matter) that angle A can never ever get to 0°. The Sun would never set because no matter how long you make side b of that triangle, angle A is always a positive number. The only way for the Sun to set on a flat Earth is if the Sun dipped below the plane of the flat Earth. If that were to happen, then it would be night everywhere on Earth at once, which we know does not happen. It's always high noon somewhere on the Earth.

That, by itself, ought to be enough to convince anyone that the Earth cannot be flat but there's more. Let's take a look at some of these photos we took last week...

So, since we're assuming a flat Earth, I'm going to focus on just a couple of photos that both show the position of the Sun in degrees above the horizon. I should point out that you don't have to trust the numbers generated by the app on the phones used to take these photos. The numbers can be confirmed by anyone by simply fashioning a simple sextant from a cheap plastic protractor.

I'll use these two photos...

View attachment 26418 View attachment 26419

On the left is the Sun's position as seen from my house on May 8th, 2018 at 01:00 UCT (8:00:01pm central time)
On the right is the Sun's position as seen from Knight's house on the same day just 38 seconds later (7:00:39pm mountain time).

The position of the Sun at my house is just .1° above the horizon while at Knight's it was 10.2° (This information is displayed just to the right of the Sun position indicator. It shows the Sun's heading and then it's elevation in degrees. On Knight's photo it's sort of hidden a little by the NW direction indicator but it reads "Sun 284.0 W 10.2°" The 10.2 is the elevation above the horizon in degrees)

So, let's look at Knight's first...

How far West would you have to go from Knight's house (where sides b and c meet) to get to a place on a flat Earth where it was high noon (where sides a and b meet)?

It turns out that when dealing with right triangles if you have the length of any one side and either angle A or B, you can know everything about the whole triangle!
The math is boring and so I'm not going to show all that. Just go HERE and plug in the numbers for side b (3000) and angle A (10.2).
You get the following results...

Someone 16,700 miles (length of side b) to his west would see the Sun at it's highest point in the sky for that day.

There is no point on Earth 16,700 miles from Denver Colorado.

Still not convinced? Well just wait till you plug in the numbers from my house!

At my house the Sun was only .1 degrees above the horizon. So plugging in the numbers from my house (side b = 3000 and angle A = .1) we get the following results...

You have to go 1,720,000 miles to my West to find high noon beneath a Sun that was 3000 miles above the surface of a flat Earth.

That's One MILLION seven hundred twenty THOUSAND miles!
(That's more that 7 times the real distance to the Moon!)

Now seriously folks! What more proof could you possibly need? How are you going to possibly refute this?

Are you going to deny that the Sun is about 10° further above the horizon in Denver than it is in Houston? Even if you did that, the distance to noon calculations aren't dependent on that!

Are you going to challenge the validity of the Pythagorean Theorem?

It seems that's your only option! It's either refute the Pythagorean Theorem or you must reject the notion that the Earth is flat based on the mere fact that the Sun gets to within .1° of the horizon at one point on the Earth while at the same time being directly over head at another.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So let's do some more math!

This time let's assume that the distances on Earth as reported by Google Earth are accurate but that the Earth is flat.

To make the numbers easy, lets assume a location on the equator on an equinox.

And we'll use the same diagram as before...

View attachment 26421

When it is Noon (90° over head (angle C) in one place it is Sunset or Sunrise 6225.25 miles away (side b).
For our Sunset angle (angle A) we'll stick with .1° because any angle below that produces numbers that are even more embarrassing for the FET.

So, plugging in the numbers HERE, we get the following results....

The Sun would have to be a mere 10.865122 miles above the surface of a flat Earth.

If you use a smaller number for angle a, then the Sun has to be closer and closer to the surface. An angle of .01 would require the Sun to be just over one mile above the surface of the Earth.

Clete :Clete:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
There is another proof that the Earth is not flat that will happen today for every single man, woman and child on the planet.

Today, September 22, 2018 happens to be an equinox. That mean that the sun rose due east and will set due west for everyone everywhere on the planet. It doesn't matter if you live in the U.S., Canada, France, Russia, Australia, or Zimbobway. You name it, if it's on Earth, the Sun rose this morning at 90° East and will set 270° West.

Now, the official equinox actually happens this evening at 8:54pm Central time (that's 01:54 UTC) which is quite late in the day and so tomorrow's sunrise will actually be closer to being exactly 90° East than it was this morning but that's sort of beside the point. The key point is that it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever how far north or south you are.

So what? You might ask.

Well, that could not ever happen on a flat Earth, no matter how far away the Sun is. In addition to that, the fact that this happens isn't just proof that the Earth isn't flat, it's proof that it cannot be anything other than a sphere. If it were any other shape it wouldn't happen - ever.

Also, it is proof that the Sun's light rays are, in fact, virtually parallel. I say "virtually" because they do, after all, converge at the Sun, but the Sun is so far away that the degree to which they are not parallel is extremely minute to the point that the difference cannot be detected by normal means even if the two rays are 10,000+ miles apart.

Clete

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Even the scriptures claim the earth to be spherical.

Isaiah 40:22 King James Version (KJV)
22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Besides the fact that God's word uses the term circle as well as ball, which destroys your idea, tents didn't have floors so how do you figger the heavens envelope the earth?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
I've posted this on this thread more than once already but it bears repeating hear at what seems to be the end of the thread....

Proof That the Earth Cannot Be Flat

The last few days I've been playing around with some math and thought I'd post some of it here to see if it might move some of the flat earthers maybe an inch or two back toward reality...

Let's put some of the sunset images we've taken to good use and see if what was observed can be made to fit with the FET (Flat Earth Theory).

FET claims the Sun is approximately 3000 miles above the Earth and they do not dispute well established distances between points on the surface of the Earth. I'm going to be using these two presuppositions in my calculations and you'll want to refer to the following diagram to keep track of the variables...

View attachment 26417

Side a is the distance from the ground to the Sun (3000 mi).
Side b is the distance from an observer to a point on the Earth where it is high noon (the point at which the Sun is at it's highest point in the sky).
Side c (a.k.a. the hypotenuse) is the distance from the observer to the Sun itself.
Angle A is the height of the Sun above the horizon in degrees as seen from the observer.
Angle C is always 90°
Angle B is not relevant to this discussion.

Note from the start that if the Earth is flat and the Sun is 3000 miles up (or any number of miles up for that matter) that angle A can never ever get to 0°. The Sun would never set because no matter how long you make side b of that triangle, angle A is always a positive number. The only way for the Sun to set on a flat Earth is if the Sun dipped below the plane of the flat Earth. If that were to happen, then it would be night everywhere on Earth at once, which we know does not happen. It's always high noon somewhere on the Earth.

That, by itself, ought to be enough to convince anyone that the Earth cannot be flat but there's more. Let's take a look at some of these photos we took last week...

So, since we're assuming a flat Earth, I'm going to focus on just a couple of photos that both show the position of the Sun in degrees above the horizon. I should point out that you don't have to trust the numbers generated by the app on the phones used to take these photos. The numbers can be confirmed by anyone by simply fashioning a simple sextant from a cheap plastic protractor.

I'll use these two photos...

View attachment 26418 View attachment 26419

On the left is the Sun's position as seen from my house on May 8th, 2018 at 01:00 UCT (8:00:01pm central time)
On the right is the Sun's position as seen from Knight's house on the same day just 38 seconds later (7:00:39pm mountain time).

The position of the Sun at my house is just .1° above the horizon while at Knight's it was 10.2° (This information is displayed just to the right of the Sun position indicator. It shows the Sun's heading and then it's elevation in degrees. On Knight's photo it's sort of hidden a little by the NW direction indicator but it reads "Sun 284.0 W 10.2°" The 10.2 is the elevation above the horizon in degrees)

So, let's look at Knight's first...

How far West would you have to go from Knight's house (where sides b and c meet) to get to a place on a flat Earth where it was high noon (where sides a and b meet)?

It turns out that when dealing with right triangles if you have the length of any one side and either angle A or B, you can know everything about the whole triangle!
The math is boring and so I'm not going to show all that. Just go HERE and plug in the numbers for side b (3000) and angle A (10.2).
You get the following results...

Someone 16,700 miles (length of side b) to his west would see the Sun at it's highest point in the sky for that day.

There is no point on Earth 16,700 miles from Denver Colorado.

Still not convinced? Well just wait till you plug in the numbers from my house!

At my house the Sun was only .1 degrees above the horizon. So plugging in the numbers from my house (side b = 3000 and angle A = .1) we get the following results...

You have to go 1,720,000 miles to my West to find high noon beneath a Sun that was 3000 miles above the surface of a flat Earth.

That's One MILLION seven hundred twenty THOUSAND miles!
(That's more that 7 times the real distance to the Moon!)

Now seriously folks! What more proof could you possibly need? How are you going to possibly refute this?

Are you going to deny that the Sun is about 10° further above the horizon in Denver than it is in Houston? Even if you did that, the distance to noon calculations aren't dependent on that!

Are you going to challenge the validity of the Pythagorean Theorem?

It seems that's your only option! It's either refute the Pythagorean Theorem or you must reject the notion that the Earth is flat based on the mere fact that the Sun gets to within .1° of the horizon at one point on the Earth while at the same time being directly over head at another.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So let's do some more math!

This time let's assume that the distances on Earth as reported by Google Earth are accurate but that the Earth is flat.

To make the numbers easy, lets assume a location on the equator on an equinox.

And we'll use the same diagram as before...

View attachment 26421

When it is Noon (90° over head (angle C) in one place it is Sunset or Sunrise 6225.25 miles away (side b).
For our Sunset angle (angle A) we'll stick with .1° because any angle below that produces numbers that are even more embarrassing for the FET.

So, plugging in the numbers HERE, we get the following results....

The Sun would have to be a mere 10.865122 miles above the surface of a flat Earth.

If you use a smaller number for angle a, then the Sun has to be closer and closer to the surface. An angle of .01 would require the Sun to be just over one mile above the surface of the Earth.

Clete :Clete:

The degrees of the stars are used to find out locations on the plane of the earth.
Not the distance to them.

In all this math and theory you have wasted your time with you still have not mapped out light years.

The reason being is, it can't be done using any of your example math formulas.

Yer a peeing into the wind.

Right Divider

Body part
The degrees of the stars are used to find out locations on the plane of the earth.

In all this math and theory you have wasted your time with you still have not mapped out light years.

You missed by a few light years.

The SUN is allegedly only a few thousand miles away in your supposed "model".

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

You're stupid.

Go away!

Status
Not open for further replies.