The Curse of the Law

Robert Pate

Banned
"For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written CURSED IS EVERYONE THAT DOES NOT CONTINUE IN ALL THINGS WHICH ARE WRITTEN IN THE BOOK TO DO THEM" Galatians 3:10

The law is not a bunch of individual laws. The law is one entity. It is the whole law. This why James said, "For whosoever shall keep the whole law and yet offend in one point he is guilty of all" James 2:10.

The Pharisees dabbled in the law. This is why Jesus said to them, "Woe unto you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy and faith: these you ought to have done and not to leave the others undone" Matthew 23:23. They were tithing right down to the mint in their gardens, but when it came to judgment, mercy and faith they failed. They were not keeping the whole law and were under the curse. "Cursed is everyone that does not do all things that are written in the book of the law.

The book of the law was the Torah. The Jews took the 10 commandments and the ordinances and came up with over 600 laws and rules for holy living. Jesus reprimanded them for doing that. There are more than 600 laws and rules in the Old Testament. There are probably more like 2000 laws and rules. Chances are they picked out the ones that they liked and the weightier ones they discarded.

"As many as are of the works of the law" refers to all who rely upon obedience to the Mosaic Law as a means of winning divine approval (salvation). To be under the curse is to be subject to God's wrath and condemnation. "Continueth" is explained by "to do", which means to obey. The recipient of divine wrath is "everyone" who, believing salvation can be obtained by meritorious works, fails to obey the law perfectly. Complete obedience to the law is impossible for sinful man, Acts 15:10; James 2:10. All who attempt to secure salvation by the works of the law are doomed. (Taken from my Bible notes).

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Define death.

Death is the separation of body and spirit. Jesus' body was buried and his spirit returned to God who gave it. He was dead.

In the Jews religion a body had to be dead for at least three days and three nights to be considered legally dead. Jesus waited until the fourth day to resurrect his friend Lazarus so that his body had begun to decay. Lazarus' decaying body was proof that Jesus was able to raise the dead.

chair

Deuternomy 30
15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. 16 For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.

19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Pate- either God, speaking in Deuteronomy, is wrong, or Paul is wrong, or you are interpreting something wrong. Take your pick.

Robert Pate

Banned
Deuternomy 30
15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. 16 For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.

19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Pate- either God, speaking in Deuteronomy, is wrong, or Paul is wrong, or you are interpreting something wrong. Take your pick.

That was according to the Old Covenant that has been done away with, Hebrews 8:6-13.

Under the New Covenant "The Just Shall Live By Faith" and not by law or religion, Romans 1:17.

Ben Masada

The curse of the Law! Can a curse bring salvation? I don't think so? Then why would Jesus say that to achieve
salvation one must listen to "Moses" aka the Law? (Luke 16:29-31) Are you implying that Jesus was an idiot? I hope not!

Robert Pate

Banned
The curse of the Law! Can a curse bring salvation? I don't think so? Then why would Jesus say that to achieve
salvation one must listen to "Moses" aka the Law? (Luke 16:29-31) Are you implying that Jesus was an idiot? I hope not!

You don't know what you are talking about.

You jump from the Old Testament to the New Testament trying to prove your Jewish religion.

The Old Testament, the Old Covenant and the law have been abolished. The Old Testament cannot be used for doctrine because it is nothing but history.

What does it mean to hear the law? Paul said to the Galatians, "Do you not hear the law?"

The law demands perfection. You don't have what the law demands because you are a sinner, Romans 3:10.

What you need right now is a savior.

Robert Pate

Banned
You just said, "That was according to the Old Covenant that has been done away with, Hebrews 8:6-13."

The law and the Old Covenant has been abolished only for Christians.

Since you do not appear to be a Christian the law is for you, 1 Timothy 9, 10.