THE BILLY GRAHM RULE

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
That's not his rule. His rule is preachers should never be alone with a woman who is not your wife behind closed doors. I'd say it's great advice.

My female bosses would close the door in her office with me in it alone. Im sorry TOL still have conservative members. We ought to add a Muslim section here.

Dialogos

I am against making rules because they deprive you of your sovereign right to act intelligently as the situation calls for. However, as general guidance, what BG says is very wise.

My understanding of it is that this is something BG decided to do for himself and others have done so voluntarily.

To my knowledge, neither BG nor the BGEA require this of anyone.

I agree that extra-biblical rules are nonbinding.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Scripture teaches that we are sanctified and need not serve our old man the flesh. We have full assurance of faith that Christ in us can keep us from sin and failure. By placing a law for us to follow and testing our sin nature's resilience we are not operating in faith and are fallen from grace living. This is a recipe for failure.

Why would anyone want to think of their husband as a perpetually weak and ungodly failure? To do so is to deny the promise of God that our lives are new.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Billy Graham would not need interpreters if "Pentecostals" were still around.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Sure, it's not found in scripture, but I think it's a awesome practice.

2 Pt. 3:14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless,
Phil. 2:14 Do all things without grumbling or disputing; 15so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world,

Your intentions might be honorable, but maybe not hers. Just ask Joseph.
Yes (Ge 39:12). It's good advice (Pr 5:4-5).

10_joseph-flee.jpg

”Back When Tim McGraw With Lyrics"

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I just started reading this thread and stopped. A question: Are you a man or woman?

Does it matter? :rolleyes:

Perilous Times and Perilous Men

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth (2 Ti 3:1–7).

"2 Ti 3:6 gullible women [or men]. Weak in virtue and the knowledge of the truth, and weighed down with emotional and spiritual guilt over their sins, these women were easy prey for the deceitful false teachers. See notes on 1 Tim. 2:13, 14; 5:11, 12.

3:7 the knowledge of the truth. First Timothy 2:4 uses this same phrase, equating it with being saved. Here Paul identified those women (v. 6) and men who were often jumping from one false teacher or cult to another without ever coming to an understanding of God’s saving truth in Jesus Christ. The present age, since the coming of Jesus Christ, has been loaded with perilous false teaching that can’t save, but does damn (cf. vv. 14, 16, 17; 1 Tim. 4:1)." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 1879). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
I need to repent now.

Everyone needs to repent. Billy graham rule dont apply today cause there are laws about how men handle women. Back then we didn't have laws. Today we do. We go to jail for rape or attacking women. The law takes care of the billy graham rule but the fundamental uncontrollable cant handle themselves and blame God for women

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Everyone needs to repent. Billy graham rule dont apply today cause there are laws about how men handle women. Back then we didn't have laws. Today we do. We go to jail for rape or attacking women. The law takes care of the billy graham rule but the fundamental uncontrollable cant handle themselves and blame God for women

I trust myself as much as Joseph because of the Indwelling Spirit of God.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I remember years ago a female client asked to speak to me about business and suggested we get a beer from a local brewery. Sounded good to me. However now my wife would never allow me to do this but back then..,oh yea I was in my prime and didn't care. But I didn't lust or get tempted to cheat on my wife.

So what's this stupid idea about not being alone with a member of the opposite sex? Someone should slap the person who thinks that the Billy Grahm rule is a sign of spiritual strength! It's a sign of a loser.

This Charming Manc

I think its about context, I probably have 4 or 5 one on one business meeting with women a day.

However I wouldn't go out for a drink one and one with them after work.

There is a truth in there somewhere.

Huckleberry

So what's this stupid idea about not being alone with a member of the opposite sex? Someone should slap the person who thinks that the Billy Grahm rule is a sign of spiritual strength! It's a sign of a loser.

I see you make the assumption time and again throughout the thread that the main reason for this rule is to avoid temptation. Why is that? I would assume it would be primarily just to avoid the appearance of misconduct or protect oneself from false accusations and such.

For that...yeah, I think it's very good advice. I've told my son this many times. Avoid being alone with a girl you don't (at least) know and trust.

themuzicman

It assumes that a born again man can't be delivered from sexual lust. That my friend is a lie. I'm proof of it.

It has nothing to do with lust. It has everything to do with evil people who want to attack those working for the kingdom of God by making false accusations that cannot be proven false.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I remember years ago a female client asked to speak to me about business and suggested we get a beer from a local brewery. Sounded good to me. However now my wife would never allow me to do this but back then..,oh yea I was in my prime and didn't care. But I didn't lust or get tempted to cheat on my wife.

It appears that you don't even understand the OP of your own thread.

"Never be with a woman alone who is not your wife"

Keyword "alone".

separate, apart, or isolated from others
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/alone

There's a huge difference between having a meeting over a beer in a brewery and having that same meeting in her hotel room.