The Bible is not a maths textbook

iouae

That example is actually true when taken literally. Bad example for you. Like the branches, we would not exist without God. So, yes, without God, we couldn't worship Baal.

While it is mathematically/logically true,
I don't think it is what Christ had in mind when he told the branches to stay connected to the vine to bear fruit.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
One learns something new every day on TO.

And there I was taking Paul LITERALLY when he called the Cretians slow bellies. They were not just slow bellies, but slow everything. I stand corrected.

indolent

in·do·lent
ˈindələnt/Submit
adjective
wanting to avoid activity or exertion; lazy.
synonyms: lazy, idle, slothful, loafing, do-nothing, sluggardly, shiftless, lackadaisical, languid, inactive, underactive, inert, sluggish, lethargic, torpid; More

iouae

If I was a modern woman, I might find the following offensive, and hence profanity...

1 Tim 2:
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

As a 21st century woman, I might not like being blamed/punished for Eve's sin committed 6000 years ago. I just do not follow Paul's logic here.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK. Is it possible in one day to name ALL animals?

It doesn't say all animals. But it does say all cattle, fowl, beast of the field. Adam did name them all, and aside from language differences from Babel, those names stand.

Did God say that ALL flesh is good to be eaten?

Not until after the flood. Like I said, you have to come up with something good. Like Genesis 1 or 2. How about Exodus 20. Does six days mean six days?

Last edited:

iouae

It doesn't say all animals. But it does say all cattle, fowl beast of the field. Adam did name them all, and aside from language differences from Babel, those names stand.

Not until after the flood. Like I said, you have to come up with something good. Like Genesis 1 or 2. How about Exodus 20. Does six days mean six days?

I think that the 7 day week is an artefact left over from that re-creation week. I personally don't believe this is describing the original creation/Big Bang which occurred 13.75 billion years prior. I think it is God re-generating earth 6000 years ago, making it suitable for man, after a mass extinction which reduced earth to "without form and void". And if it took God just 6 days to accomplish this - I guess He had good helpers. But that's a whole different thread :)

The reason I posted this thread was not to question miracles, because I believe in these. It was rather to question the way some folks take words like "all", "always" and force these to read like they would never read normally. The word "all" for instance, is used 4680 times in the Bible. And half the time "all" does not mean "each and every...without exception".

Here is an example...

Exodus 23:27 I will send my fear before thee, and will destroy all the people to whom thou shalt come, and I will make all thine enemies turn their backs unto thee.

It's clear from the Exodus account that NOT ALL Israel's enemies turned their backs and ran.

This is a principle, not a law/promise that all enemies would flee.

Greg Jennings

It doesn't say all animals. But it does say all cattle, fowl beast of the field. Adam did name them all, and aside from language differences from Babel, those names stand.

What languages were created at the event involving the Tower of Babylon, and what language did everyone speak before that?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think that the 7 day week is an artefact left over from that re-creation week.

Why do you think that? It isn't what the Bible says. When things are literal, it is obvious. The evening and the morning were the first day are used so we know exactly what God means. The Holy Spirit chooses his words carefully.

I couldn't care less about "all" when the context signifies what is meant.

bybee

What languages were created at the event involving the Tower of Babylon, and what language did everyone speak before that?

I don't know about the Tower of Babylon but erecting the Tower of Babel appeared to be too much for the people involved.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You can't answer a question with a question.

1Now the whole earth had one language and one speech. 2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar, and they dwelt there....5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. 6 And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them. 7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

Greg Jennings

You can't answer a question with a question.

1Now the whole earth had one language and one speech. 2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar, and they dwelt there....5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. 6 And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them. 7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

I was never asked a question. I just asked you one because it seemed like a good question. I'm assuming that the answers I asked for you do not have?

dialm

BANNED
Banned
No human being, even PJ, takes the Bible literally literal. Nobody believes Jesus is a door, made of wood and has hinges.

Wait a minute. Jesus is the door. The door to God's heart. I suggest a person should step through that door before it closes. This is literal. But only in the spiritual sense. It is just that the spiritual is more literal because the physical is passing away.

"All Israel will be saved."

Physical 'all'? No
Spiritual 'all'? Yes

The 'all' in "All Israel will be saved." is literal.

iouae

The 'all' in "All Israel will be saved." is literal.

Wow, that is a bold claim.

I would rate this "all" as a case where it means most but definitely not all.

I know of one Israelite who will definitely not be saved, and even just this one exception proves it does not mean "all - without exception". That failed Israelite is Judas.

He is called the "son of perdition". Looking up perdition - it means damned forever, i.e. not saved.

Another failure was king Saul. And God swore in His wrath that not one adult Israelite who left Egypt would enter His eternal rest, meaning they are toast.

Hebrews 3:11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.