Texas Bakers Receive Death Threats for Offering Referral Rather Than Making Cake...

Jose Fly

Maybe you didn't understand the article.

This is about fascists who are trying to force a bakery to provide a new service that they have never provided before.

Huh....I wasn't aware the bakery never sold wedding cakes before the couple in question asked for one.

Jose Fly

no

go back and read again

Then you need to clarify what parties you were talking about when you said...

you have yet to explain why a private citizen should be forced to enter into a contract against their will

Who are these "private citizens" and what "contracts" are you talking about?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Then you need to clarify what parties you were talking about when you said...

you have yet to explain why a private citizen should be forced to enter into a contract against their will

Who are these "private citizens" and what "contracts" are you talking about?

any private citizen

any contract (business arrangement)

genuineoriginal

?????????? You're not making sense.
The problem is not in the sense I am making, it is in your inability to accept it.

The bakery provides the service of making custom cakes for events provided that the cakes and events do not violate their "godly values" as quoted in the OP.

The problem was not with the couple, it was with the event that the custom cake was intended to be used for.

The bakery went out of their way and provided referrals for their competitors that do not have the same "godly values" and who would be happy to make a custom cake for the event in question.

The outrage expressed against the couple in the OP is over the couple having "godly values".

Jose Fly

The bakery provides the service of making custom cakes for events provided that the cakes and events do not violate their "godly values" as quoted in the OP.

The problem was not with the couple, it was with the event that the custom cake was intended to be used for.

So the issue wasn't with the type of cake they requested, which means your earlier claim that the bakers were asked "to provide a new service that they have never provided before" was wrong.

The bakery went out of their way and provided referrals for their competitors that do not have the same "godly values" and who would be happy to make a custom cake for the event in question.

The outrage expressed against the couple in the OP is over the couple having "godly values".

Well yeah, when those "godly values" = discrimination, that tends to happen.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The problem is not in the sense I am making, it is in your inability to accept it.

Thats it, right there.

BTW, have you noticed the lack of muslim bakers, being asked to cater and or make gay wedding cakes being refused them and being sued, in the news?

Me either.

I did find this one, where the gay commentator actually went to one, and who actually supports the right of conscience who understands the real issue. (excellent worth watching)

http://louderwithcrowder.com/hidden-camera-gay-wedding-cake-at-muslim-bakery/

ok doser

Then my response regarding our previous history of allowing private businesses to discriminate as they wish did directly address your question.

should homos be allowed to avoid businesses they don't want to give their business to?

genuineoriginal

So the issue wasn't with the type of cake they requested, which means your earlier claim that the bakers were asked "to provide a new service that they have never provided before" was wrong.
They were asked to make a custom cake for an event that violates their "godly values".
That is a new service that they do not currently provide.

Jose Fly

why shouldn't they also be forced to enter into a business arrangement against their will?

Because there's no reason to. OTOH, there is a larger public interest in requiring public businesses to serve the public.

Now, how about answering the question I asked you? Do gays have the right to walk into public businesses and be treated just like any other citizen?

Jose Fly

They were asked to make a custom cake

Which you acknowledge they'd been asked to do before.

for an event that violates their "godly values".

They only became aware of that because they went out of their way to ask who the cake was for. That raises an obvious question...have they refused to make cakes for other people who violate these "godly values", such as cakes for adulterers, drunkards, or money lovers? Or do they not even ask about those things?

That is a new service that they do not currently provide.

I'd bet they've baked cakes for all sorts of people who don't uphold their "godly values". It's just that they've singled out this one thing as worth asking about.

ok doser

Because there's no reason to.

sure there is

the law should apply equally, shouldn't it?

OTOH, there is a larger public interest in requiring public businesses to serve the public.

if a "public" business is owned by the public, i'd tend to agree

but we're talking about a privately owned business

Do gays have the right to walk into public businesses and be treated just like any other citizen?

that's what i'm insisting on

if a privately owned business owner is forced to enter into a contract against his will, then so should the homo

if i was the baker, i'd make the cake for him and charge him a couple thousand dollars :)