Teacher Who Read Homosexual Book to Third Graders Resigns Following Parental Outrcy

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Teacher Who Read Homosexual Book to Third Graders Resigns Following Parental Outrcy

FLAND, N.C. — An elementary school teacher who read a book about homosexuality to third graders has resigned following outcry from parents who were upset that their children were exposed to the material.

Both teacher Omar Currie and Assistant Principal Meg Goodhand have resigned from their positions at Efland-Cheeks Elementary School following the incident, which occurred in April of this year.

According to reports, Currie decided to read the book to his class after a student chided a male classmate during gym class and told him that he was acting like a girl. Currie, a homosexual himself, said that because “the word gay was used in a derogatory way,” he believed that students should be taught a lesson.

“In that moment, it just seemed natural to me to read the book and have a conversation about treating people with respect,” he told reporters on Tuesday. “My focus then was on the child, and helping the child.”

Therefore, Currie obtained a copy of the book “King & King” from Goodhand, a story about a single prince who is encouraged by his mother to marry, but passes up all the princesses as potential mates to instead “marry” the brother of a princess.

However, after some parents learned that Currie, 25, had read the book to their children, they contacted the school. Within hours, Currie received a call from the principal, requesting a meeting the following morning.

Three parents soon filed written complaints over the matter, which resulted in public meetings regarding concerns about the book being read to children. One meeting was reportedly attended by 200 people.

“This is nothing more than bringing homosexuality into a school where it does not belong,” one parent declared.

Others stated that Currie was seeking to “indoctrinate” children through “psycho-emotional rape.”

A school review committee, which investigated the matter, upheld the use of the book twice. But the principal issued a new policy to teachers, requiring them to provide parents with an advance list of books to be children that year.

Currie says that he finds the requirement to be “unrealistic,” because “great teachers pull text because it’s right for the moment.”

“I think that that’s very dangerous for a school system to get behind and support,” he said.

However, Currie says that he ultimately resigned because he does not feel like he has the support of administrators.

“I’m resigning because when me and my partner sat down and talked about it we felt I wasn’t going to have the support I needed to move forward at Efland,” he said. “It’s very disappointing.”

A review of the book will now be conducted by Interim Superintendent Pam Jones following an appeal from parents, and another public meeting is scheduled for today.

“I feel to jump to reading this book was inappropriate and stood to reinstate the idea to the bullied child—the accusation of the bully,” one commenter stated. “Now, he has been twice traumatized by this…”

And thats what needs to happen, parents rightfully object, then if the school wont back down, take your kids out. Less children means less tax money for that school to operate, send a message.

shagster01

Unless the child being picked on actually is gay, I don't see how the book would help anyway.

It would have made me feel bad as a 3rd grader if a teacher defended my "gayness" if I wasn't even gay. Essentially you would have the bully and the teacher both calling you gay then. . .

bybee

Unless the child being picked on actually is gay, I don't see how the book would help anyway.

It would have made me feel bad as a 3rd grader if a teacher defended my "gayness" if I wasn't even gay. Essentially you would have the bully and the teacher both calling you gay then. . .

Pre-pubertal children have much growing to do. We might do better to stop focusing on their gonads and concentrate on reading, writing and arithmetic! Keep them physically active, teach them how to work and play in community. Begin to teach problem-solving and concern for others.
Their gonads will take care of themselves in due time.

GFR7

@Angel: Look at the update. Same school, same teacher, same book.
The use of this gay fairy tale book was upheld:

NC School District Okay With Gay Marriage Fairy Tale for Third Graders

(CNSNews.com)— A public school district in North Carolina is allowing the use of a controversial fairy tale about gay marriage to be read in its elementary schools despite widespread community opposition.

Omar Currie, a former 3rd grade teacher at Efland-Cheeks Elementary School, read King & King - a book about two gay “princes” who fall in love and get married - to his third grade students in April after he said one student teased another by calling him “gay” in gym class.

Currie resigned this week after the parents of three students filed written complaints to the school media review committee. Meg Goodhand, the assistant principal at the school who loaned Currie her copy of the book to read to his third grade class, also resigned.

However, after several heated public debates attended by hundreds of people - in which Orange County sheriffs were on hand to keep the peace - the school review committee upheld the use of the book.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...ct-okay-gay-marriage-fairy-tale-third-graders

TracerBullet

Why if this keeps up the next thing you know teachers will be reading stories about black people who aren't servants to impresionable children...oh the horror

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
@Angel: Look at the update. Same school, same teacher, same book.
The use of this gay fairy tale book was upheld:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...ct-okay-gay-marriage-fairy-tale-third-graders

yes, but the teacher and assistant principle resigned and now they have to notify parents in advance before reading any kind of book like that.
The principal issued a new policy to teachers, requiring them to provide parents with an advance list of books to be children that year.

That at least gives parents an opt out.

They will not be able to do this on the spot again.

TracerBullet

Your specious and rude response is duly noted.

in 1966 CBS picked up the science fiction program Star Trek for national syndication. Outside of the people responsible for it's production little was known about the series but there were rumors that the show featured minorities in predominant roles. Most of the CBS affiliates were refusing to air the series based on these rumors. The production staff pushed through the production of two episodes in a single week, these episodes were the only ones to not feature Nichelle Nichols and George Takei and were the episodes sent to affiliates for broadcast first. The stations had to be tricked into accepting a program that depicted minorities as something other than servants or criminals because of the view that such images were offensive to adults and harmful to children.

sound familiar?

musterion

Wow. So much wrong.

in 1966 CBS picked up the science fiction program Star Trek for national syndication.

1. NBC bought Roddenberry's pilot, not CBS.

2. There were actually two pilots. The first ("The Cage") was refused but NBC bought the reworked second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

3. Syndication is when a show has broadcast enough episodes that it can comprise a rerun package large enough to be worth buying by local stations. It took TREK three seasons to get there. The Kaiser network bought TREK in its first season to run against its competitors' evening news shows. Because it did well, big metropolitan markets lined up to buy TREK when season 3 was in the can. That is what led to the huge resurgence of TREK in the early '70s even though, as far as NBC was concerned, the show was dead.

What other stuff do you want to pull out of your hat to give yourself an air of authority you do not possess, son?

Last edited:

HisServant

There seems to be a lack of common sense these days with more an eye onto indoctrination at an early age than actually teaching.

Anyhow, I have no problem with that book.. I just think it isn't age appropriate and I also have to wonder why they are spending time on it while complaining about not enough time for common core lessons.

musterion

Anyhow, I have no problem with that book.

I have a problem with you not having a problem with it, for any age child.

I also have to wonder why they are spending time on it while complaining about not enough time for common core lessons.
For all its faults, Common Core does not teach kids how to use dildos or lube each others' anus. So the euruproktos and lesbians have to start somewhere.

GFR7

yes, but the teacher and assistant principle resigned and now they have to notify parents in advance before reading any kind of book like that.

That at least gives parents an opt out.

They will not be able to do this on the spot again.
Yes, this is wise procedure.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why if this keeps up the next thing you know teachers will be reading stories about black people who aren't servants to impresionable children...oh the horror

The teacher's goal should have been to encourage common courtesy and consideration which would include no bullying.

There are creative ways to send a message about bullying while staying neutral.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
in 1966 CBS picked up the science fiction program Star Trek for national syndication. Outside of the people responsible for it's production little was known about the series but there were rumors that the show featured minorities in predominant roles. Most of the CBS affiliates were refusing to air the series based on these rumors. The production staff pushed through the production of two episodes in a single week, these episodes were the only ones to not feature Nichelle Nichols and George Takei and were the episodes sent to affiliates for broadcast first. The stations had to be tricked into accepting a program that depicted minorities as something other than servants or criminals because of the view that such images were offensive to adults and harmful to children.

sound familiar?

In that situation, parents would be solely responsible for whether or not a child was allowed to view the show, correct?

HisServant

I have a problem with you not having a problem with it, for any age child.

For all its faults, Common Core does not teach kids how to use dildos or lube each others' anus. So the euruproktos and lesbians have to start somewhere.

If you want to control your kids curriculum... home school them. The schools are not agents of your churches moral polices.

I swear, Christians are getting just like ISIS.. they just cannot see it.

musterion

If you want to control your kids curriculum... home school them. The schools are not agents of your churches moral polices.

I swear, Christians are getting just like ISIS.. they just cannot see it.

Oh I forgot, you're a libertarian, right?

republicanchick

being gay is a perversity.. totally UNnatural

no parent in his/her right mind wants that 4 children

we need to return to teaching the 3 Rs

all that other stuff is indoctrination/brainwashing.. statecraft, e tc...

diabolical

"Hey, Teacher! Leave those kids alone!"

___

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm a Christian that has learned a lesson about the nature of non-christians and how Christ treated them.

Christ worried about people... not public policy.

Christ worried about teaching young children sin and spoke heavily against it and in fact warned of danger for those who do it:

Mark 9:42 “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea.

Teaching gay relationships are normal and ok are teaching little ones to sin.

Why you call yourself a christian and think teaching sin in school to little ones is ok, is beyond me.