Standing Up To Rome

turbosixx

Indeed. It also conveniently misses the fact that the New Testament documents are also the "writings of men."

2 Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Brother Vinny

2 Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Meh. Paul is talking about the Old Testament here. Burden of proof is on you to prove otherwise.

turbosixx

Meh. Paul is talking about the Old Testament here. Burden of proof is on you to prove otherwise.

2 Pt. 3:15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Brother Vinny

2 Pt. 3:15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

You're using Peter's writing to prove what Paul was making reference to? Weak sauce. You can prove from this that Peter sees Paul's writings as Scripture (but not, specifically, which writings). You can't prove that Paul considered Peter's writings Scripture from this passage, nor that he considered his own writings Scripture.

turbosixx

You're using Peter's writing to prove what Paul was making reference to? Weak sauce. You can prove from this that Peter sees Paul's writings as Scripture (but not, specifically, which writings). You can't prove that Paul considered Peter's writings Scripture from this passage, nor that he considered his own writings Scripture.

Do you consider Peter's writings scripture?

turbosixx

Jesus talking to the 12.

Jn. 14:25 "These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

Jn. 16:12 "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come

turbosixx

Who cares what I think? My prose here will be a writing of man, and thus contain no relevant information.

If you understand the truth, I care. I'm here to challenge my understanding of truth. I will entertain the thoughts of others as long as they can be proven by scripture.

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

If something is in contradiction to scripture, can it be truth?

Brother Vinny

If you understand the truth, I care. I'm here to challenge my understanding of truth. I will entertain the thoughts of others as long as they can be proven by scripture.

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

If something is in contradiction to scripture, can it be truth?

Context is everything. I can cherry pick Scripture to defend baby-killing.

Also, interpretation is everything. If I interpret the Lord's Day to be Sunday while you believe it to be Saturday, and we both have stacks of verses to support our positions, then we'll ever be at loggerheads on the Sabbath-keeping issue.

So context and interpretation are everything. Probably some other things as well, but I'm getting sleepy.

Funny. People like to underline all sorts of parts of 2 Tim 3:16 except the "profitable for". It's like the one verse they want to say everything stops short of saying quite enough.