Should We Have Women Pastors Today ?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
You did not ask me WHY God said it now did you?

Now that you have asked I will be glad to respond.

In 1 Timothy 2:12-14 we read one of the reasons...........
“I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.”

Paul says that women are forbidden to teach or exercise authority over men in the church. It’s important to understand that Paul does not prohibit women from teaching in all contexts, only from teaching the Bible to men in the church.

Notice that Paul prohibits women from doing two distinct things.

First, women may not teach the Bible to men in the church.

Second, women may not exercise authority over men in the church.

Teaching and exercising authority in the church are the two primary responsibilities of elders, pastors, or bishops. Thus, women are not to hold the office of pastor, but neither are they to perform these particular functions of a pastor over men in the church.

So then to respond to YOU......WHY is that the case????

#1.
The creation order is the first reason Paul gives for prohibiting women from teaching or exercising authority in the church
Paul doesn’t ground his command in cultural considerations or a particular problem with the women in the Ephesian church. Rather, he grounds his command in creation. He says that the reason women are not to teach or exercise authority over men in the church is that, “Adam was formed first, then Eve”. Paul means that God established Adam as the head and authority of his wife, Eve. God designed men to lead. That equals Federal Headship or Authority.

#2. The nature of women is the second reason Paul gives for prohibiting them from teaching or exercising authority in the church.
Paul says, “Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor” (1 Tim 2:14).
Paul is saying something about the natural constitution of men and women, that men as a class are naturally more fitted to teach and have authority in the church, but women are not. Wayne Grudem says, “This is by far the most common viewpoint in the history of the interpretation of this passage”.
Source: (Evangelical Feminism & Biblical Truth 70).

But why are women naturally more likely to be deceived than men? It’s true that not all women are more likely to be deceived than all men. And it’s true that some men are more likely to be deceived than some women. But most interpreters in the history of the church have understood this passage to teach that, in general, women are more likely to be deceived than men.

Does that answer your question?
That is just about 10,000% better than your first attempt!

See how interesting and fun it is when you give substantive answers! Even if you fail to convince a soul, you strengthen your own faith within your own heart and mind. And, if you're just batting things around with people who don't necessarily disagree with you, everyone is edified. No one, on the other hand, is served in any respect whatsoever by the basically mindless one liners that are so painfully prevalent on this website.

In answer to the question, why are women naturally more likely to be deceived than men?...

There are several possible reasons but the most prominent is that women are geared more toward nurturing and interpersonal relationships than men are and, as a result, are moved by emotional considerations as apposed to men being more emotionally detached, analytical an objective and, as a result are moved by facts, figures and logic. The one set of attributes completes the other and so neither is "superior" in the general sense but it does leave women in a more vulnerable state in terms of being deceived.

Clete

P.S.

In regards to the authority structure in churches, I think it has as at least as much to do with the ramifications it has on how children are brought up as it does anything else. When children see their fathers being good leaders, both at home and at church, it teaches them something about God's authority. The way a child sees and related to their earthly father will be reflected in their attitudes toward THE Father. This is at least part of the reason why church leaders must first be good husbands and fathers at home.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I've made the mistake of thinking someone was a girl instead of a guy and vice versa on this forum more than once. It's an understandable mistake.

I thought Hoping was a girl at first. I have since been corrected.

User "Gods Truth" was clearly a woman, despite so vehemently refusing to answer which she was.

Or, at the very least, a very effeminate man who didn't have the testosterone to just come out and say it.

Which brings me to my position on this thread's topic, @Rodger:

If women are pastoring the church, regardless of how many biological males there are in the congregation, there aren't any men in it who can stand up and lead, and BE men.

It will have become a very effeminate church.

God expects men to be the head of their household.

If they cannot effectively lead their household, how can they expect to lead a congregation.

Hence why Paul says, for anyone in a position of leadership over the church, he must be a "one-woman man, ruling their children and their own houses well," and he also says, "the head of woman is man."

Rodger

User "Gods Truth" was clearly a woman, despite so vehemently refusing to answer which she was.

Or, at the very least, a very effeminate man who didn't have the testosterone to just come out and say it.

If women are pastoring the church, regardless of how many biological males there are in the congregation, there aren't any men in it who can stand up and lead, and BE men.

If they cannot effectively lead their household, how can they expect to lead a congregation.

Hence why Paul says, for anyone in a position of leadership over the church, he must be a "one-woman man, ruling their children and their own houses well," and he also says, "the head of woman is man."
Thank you for your kind words about mistaking someone's avatar for a woman.

I agree. The husband is the head of the household is all about Federal Headship = Responsibility.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK.
I admitt it was a mistake. Thank you for pointing it out to me.
No problem, it happens.
Live and learn.

The answer of NOPE in responce to "SHould women be pastors" which is 100% in difference to the Scriptures posted,
The scripture you posted is:

1 Timothy 3:1-3 (KJV)​
"This is a true saying, If a "man" desire the office of a bishop, "he" desireth a good work. 2A bishop then must be blameless, "the husband of one wife," vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous".​

Where in that scripture is Paul giving instructions about what sort of women should have the position?

Can we move on from your critique and on to the question asked in the thread. Do YOU have an opinion?
I'm flexible on it.
HOWEVER, I believe a "bishop" (from the scripture you quoted) is not a "leader" of the assembly but a "servant" of the assembly to keep things orderly, civil, and safe which would include being a bouncer for those that act disorderly and cause a ruckus.
I think men are better options for that job, practically speaking.
So I, as a woman, I would rather have men in that position because I would feel more secure.

Hoping

Banned
Perhaps this is a good test to show you that you should not be a pastor of a church assembly since you are so quick to criticize and judge without knowledge.

Ok Doser is not a woman.
And his "nope" response was to the thread title question.
ok doser is NOT a woman ?
Isn't it funny how a single picture can warp an impression.

Rodger

No problem, it happens.
Live and learn.

The scripture you posted is:

1 Timothy 3:1-3 (KJV)​
"This is a true saying, If a "man" desire the office of a bishop, "he" desireth a good work. 2A bishop then must be blameless, "the husband of one wife," vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous".​

Where in that scripture is Paul giving instructions about what sort of women should have the position?

I'm flexible on it.
HOWEVER, I believe a "bishop" (from the scripture you quoted) is not a "leader" of the assembly but a "servant" of the assembly to keep things orderly, civil, and safe which would include being a bouncer for those that act disorderly and cause a ruckus.
I think men are better options for that job, practically speaking.
So I, as a woman, I would rather have men in that position because I would feel more secure.
Thanks for your responce.

Now what we believe or think does not matter.

There are NO Scriptures that say a woman can be a pastor or a deacon. There are NO Scriptures which say that the woman can have authority over the man in teaching the Scriptures.

Women can teach women, children, lead the music and hold any other office in the church except the ordained position of Pastor or deacon. That is because God said that ""This is a true saying, If a "man" desire the office of a bishop, "he" desireth a good work."

The Biblical meaning of the word "Bishop" is ......Overseer!

It comes from the Greek term episkapos which has also been translated as “episcopal,” “elder,” “overseer,” or “pastor.” All refer to the same office and are therefore synonyms.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
OK doser was who I thought we were talking about????

How in the world did you come to think that I was talking about doser by reading my post?

I never mentioned doser. Why would I have been talking about him?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thanks for your responce.

Now what we believe or think does not matter.

There are NO Scriptures that say a woman can be a pastor or a deacon. There are NO Scriptures which say that the woman can have authority over the man in teaching the Scriptures.

Women can teach women, children, lead the music and hold any other office in the church except the ordained position of Pastor or deacon. That is because God said that ""This is a true saying, If a "man" desire the office of a bishop, "he" desireth a good work."

The Biblical meaning of the word "Bishop" is ......Overseer!

It comes from the Greek term episkapos which has also been translated as “episcopal,” “elder,” “overseer,” or “pastor.” All refer to the same office and are therefore synonyms.
You might want to broaden your scripture search of what God intends for men and women.

Take a gander at:

Joel 2​
(28) And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.​
(29) Even on the male and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit.​

In scripture God uses both men and women as authorities to guide, judge, and rule His people.
One such example is:

Judges 4​
(4) Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel at that time.​
(5) She used to sit under the palm of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim, and the people of Israel came up to her for judgment.​

Rodger

You might want to broaden your scripture search of what God intends for men and women.

Take a gander at:

Joel 2​
(28) And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.​
(29) Even on the male and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit.​

In scripture God uses both men and women as authorities to guide, judge, and rule His people.
One such example is:

Judges 4​
(4) Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel at that time.​
(5) She used to sit under the palm of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim, and the people of Israel came up to her for judgment.​
Thanks for the advice.

Allow me to say that the Scripture is Joel 2 has nothing to do with TODAY! May I respond to your ............
"You might want to broaden your scripture search of what God intends for men and women."

Actually, I find that a little offensive as you have NO knowledge of me whatsoever.

Now, Just to show you that I have a broader understanding of the Scriptures, please allow me to say that A comparison of Acts 2:16-21 to the prophecy in Joel 2:28-32 reveals that there are a few changes in wording that should be noticed.

The Joel prophecy starts with the statement “I will pour out My Spirit.”
Acts states, “. . . in the last days” and then quotes the Joel 2:28-32.

It is important to notice that the apostle Peter is very careful when he quotes Joel 2:28-32. He does not say that the prophecy was fulfilled when the Holy Spirit descended on the apostles on the day of Pentecost and they spoke in tongues (Acts 2:1-13).
Instead, he simply says this “is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel.” That is to say that the prophet Joel referred to the outpouring of the Holy Spirit that would occur at the end of the tribulation.

Now, take note that Zechariah 12:1-14 describes the tribulation and Zechariah 12:10-14 refers to the outpouring of the Spirit at the battle of Armageddon. Zechariah 14:1-7 describes the second coming of Christ.

Now as for Deborah. Every single word you posted is true and I agree with every one of them. However, that has absolutely nothing to do with women being pastors in a New Test. church.

God has used women mightily over the years and continues to do so. The point is that God instituted Federal Headship with Adam and made man head of the family and said that MAN was to be the leader of the church for the purpose of responsibility.

Thank you for your response!

Rodger

How in the world did you come to think that I was talking about doser by reading my post?

My bad.

I thought post #34...........was directed to me.
"It wasn't the avatar. Hoping doesn't have an avatar.
I was talking about how the person wrote."

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
@Rodger I recommend you just read through this again.

Thank you for your kind words about mistaking someone's avatar for a woman.

I agree. The husband is the head of the household is all about Federal Headship = Responsibility.

It wasn't the avatar. Hoping doesn't have an avatar.

I was talking about how the person wrote.

OK doser was who I thought we were talking about????

My bad.

I thought post #34...........was directed to me.
"It wasn't the avatar. Hoping doesn't have an avatar.
I was talking about how the person wrote."