Scripture vs. Canon

Bradley D

The study of God.

Correct. So what is your argument?

the·ol·o·gy
THēˈäləjē/
noun
noun: theology

The study of the nature of God and religious belief. Religious beliefs and theory when systematically developed.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Correct. So what is your argument?

the·ol·o·gy
THēˈäləjē/
noun
noun: theology

The study of the nature of God and religious belief. Religious beliefs and theory when systematically developed.

I do not know. Am I asking about the Canon of Scripture and the Biblical Canon?

2003cobra

What Church?

All Christian churches that I know of consider the canon to be the sacred writings that are appropriate for reading in the church.

There is a confusion, a common misconception, among evangelical that the canon is the list of all “inspired” books. But that is not the case, and inspiration was not considered a criterion for canonicity. The early church fathers considered many writings inspired that are not in the canon.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
All Christian churches that I know of consider the canon to be the sacred writings that are appropriate for reading in the church.

There is a confusion, a common misconception, among evangelical that the canon is the list of all “inspired” books. But that is not the case, and inspiration was not considered a criterion for canonicity. The early church fathers considered many writings inspired that are not in the canon.

I know about inspiration and inerrancy.

The Canon may or may not be dependent upon this. What is the history of it?

What do you mean that are appropriate for reading in the church?

I am a Jew, but I grew up in a church where the Bible was taught from but it is not read like when we hear Moses read each Sabbath.

2003cobra

The Council of Carthage in 397 is the earliest canon of scripture we have that matches what is used today if Roman Catholic and some Protestant Churches. The canon of the Church of the East is earlier.

The wording from that council may help clarify the term canon.

It was also determined that besides the Canonical Scriptures nothing be read in the Church under the title of divine Scriptures. The Canonical Scriptures are these: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua the son of Nun, Judges, Ruth, four books of Kings, 3 two books of Paraleipomena, 4 Job, the Psalter, five books of Solomon, 5 the books of the twelve prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezechiel, Daniel, Tobit, Judith, Esther, two books of Esdras, 6 two books of the Maccabees. Of the New Testament: four books of the Gospels, one book of the Acts of the Apostles, thirteen Epistles of the Apostle Paul, one epistle of the same [writer] to the Hebrews, two Epistles of the Apostle Peter, three of John, one of James, one of Jude, one book of the Apocalypse of John. Let this be made known also to our brother and fellow-priest Boniface, or to other bishops of those parts, for the purpose of confirming that Canon. because we have received from our fathers that those books must be read in the Church. Let it also be allowed that the Passions of Martyrs be read when their festivals are kept.

So the canonical scriptures are those to be read in the church under the title “divine scriptures.”

http://www.bible-researcher.com/carthage.html

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The Council of Carthage in 397 is the earliest canon of scripture we have that matches what is used today if Roman Catholic and some Protestant Churches. The canon of the Church of the East is earlier.

The wording from that council may help clarify the term canon.

It was also determined that besides the Canonical Scriptures nothing be read in the Church under the title of divine Scriptures. The Canonical Scriptures are these: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua the son of Nun, Judges, Ruth, four books of Kings, 3 two books of Paraleipomena, 4 Job, the Psalter, five books of Solomon, 5 the books of the twelve prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezechiel, Daniel, Tobit, Judith, Esther, two books of Esdras, 6 two books of the Maccabees. Of the New Testament: four books of the Gospels, one book of the Acts of the Apostles, thirteen Epistles of the Apostle Paul, one epistle of the same [writer] to the Hebrews, two Epistles of the Apostle Peter, three of John, one of James, one of Jude, one book of the Apocalypse of John. Let this be made known also to our brother and fellow-priest Boniface, or to other bishops of those parts, for the purpose of confirming that Canon. because we have received from our fathers that those books must be read in the Church. Let it also be allowed that the Passions of Martyrs be read when their festivals are kept.

So the canonical scriptures are those to be read in the church under the title “divine scriptures.”

http://www.bible-researcher.com/carthage.html

Is there a Jewish Canon and when was the word Canon first used and applied?

Wick Stick

Jacob is a troll. No matter what you post at him, he will post back a 1 sentence question, or a flat denial of what you say. You're wasting your time... or perhaps, he's wasting your time.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jacob is a troll. No matter what you post at him, he will post back a 1 sentence question, or a flat denial of what you say. You're wasting your time... or perhaps, he's wasting your time.

Is there anything that I can do to help you? I can see that you have something against me. I hope that we can reconcile whatever difference we have between us. I would like to do everything possible to make right whatever wrong you perceive in me against you.

Shalom.

Jacob