Satan - Lucifer - Devil

beameup

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thy heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. - Isaiah 14:12-15

Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. - Ezekiel 28:12-17

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thy heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. - Isaiah 14:12-15

Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. - Ezekiel 28:12-17

Isaiah 14:

How the oppressor has quieted down,
and how the raging[a] has become quiet!
5 The Lord has broken the staff of the wicked,
the scepter of the rulers.
6 It struck the peoples in anger
with unceasing blows.
It subdued the nations in rage
with relentless persecution.
7 All the earth is calm and at rest;
people shout with a ringing cry.
8 Even the cypresses and the cedars of Lebanon
rejoice over you:
“Since you have been laid low,
no woodcutter has come against us.”
9 Sheol below is eager to greet your coming.
He stirs up the spirits of the departed for you—
all the rulers of the earth.
He makes all the kings of the nations
rise from their thrones.
10 They all respond to you, saying:
“You too have become as weak as we are;
you have become like us!
11 Your splendor has been brought down to Sheol,
along with the music of your harps.
Maggots are spread out under you,
and worms cover you.”
12 Shining morning star,[c]
how you have fallen from the heavens!
You destroyer of nations,
you have been cut down to the ground.
13 You said to yourself:
“I will ascend to the heavens;
I will set up my throne
above the stars of God.
I will sit on the mount of the gods’ assembly,
in the remotest parts of the North.[d]
14 I will ascend above the highest clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.”
15 But you will be brought down to Sheol
into the deepest regions of the Pit.
16 Those who see you will stare at you;
they will look closely at you:
“Is this the man who caused the earth to tremble,
who shook the kingdoms,
17 who turned the world into a wilderness,
who destroyed its cities
and would not release the prisoners to return home?”
18 All the kings of the nations
lie in splendor, each in his own tomb.
19 But you are thrown out without a grave,
like a worthless branch,
covered by those slain with the sword
and dumped into a rocky pit like a trampled corpse.
20 You will not join them in burial,
because you destroyed your land
and slaughtered your own people.
The offspring of evildoers
will never be remembered.
21 Prepare a place of slaughter for his sons,
because of the iniquity of their fathers.
They will never rise up to possess a land
or fill the surface of the earth with cities.

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

beameup

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. - Revelation 12:9-10

Dragon
Serpent
Satan -- adversary
Devil -- false accuser
Accuser
Deceiver

Again, another fine example of quote mining, while leaving out the most important details.

In this case it is not even necessary to go back to the first verse, because the fourth verse clarifies the entire passage perfectly.

Y’sha’yahu 14:4:

וְנָשָׂאתָ הַמָּשָׁל הַזֶּה עַל־מֶלֶךְ בָּבֶל וְאָמָרְתָּ אֵיךְ שָׁבַת נֹגֵשׂ שָׁבְתָה מַדְהֵבָה׃

V’nasaʾta hammashal hazzéh ʿal-meleḵ’ Bavel v’amar’ta ʾéyḵ’ shavat nogés shav’tah mad’hévah:​

“You shall bear this parable against the King of Babylon, and you shall say, ‘How has the dominator ceased, has ceased the boisterous one?’”

The definition of the Hebrew word – מָשָׁל – mashal is “parable,” “allegory,” “apologue,” “fable,” “metaphorical expression.” Do any of these definitions mean anything to you? Do you know what a fable is? Do you know what a metaphor is?

In verse 12 the King of Babylon is being metaphorically compared to – הֵילֵל בֶּנ־שָׁחַר héylél ben-shaḥar – “Venus, the morning star.” Héylél is the Hebrew name of the planet Venus. The chr-stian invented pseudo-Septuagint translates this - ὁ ἑωσφόρος ὁ πρωὶ ἀνατέλλων ho heōsphoros ho prōi anatellōn – “the bringer of dawn, the morning star.”

The Latin word lucifer is a compound of two Latin words lucis or lux and ferre, and means “bringer of light.”

Doesn’t Revelation 22:16 say that your hero is the bright morning star? Does that mean that you are saying that j-sus is satan? That’s what it looks like to me. Doesn’t that make you a heretic?

beameup

Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov;4765807 said:
Again, another fine example of quote mining, while leaving out the most important details.

In this case it is not even necessary to go back to the first verse, because the fourth verse clarifies the entire passage perfectly.

וְנָשָׂאתָ הַמָּשָׁל הַזֶּה עַל־מֶלֶךְ בָּבֶל וְאָמָרְתָּ אֵיךְ שָׁבַת נֹגֵשׂ שָׁבְתָה מַדְהֵבָה׃

V’nasaʾta hammashal hazzéh ʿal-meleḵ’ Bavel v’amar’ta ʾéyḵ’ shavat nogés shav’tah mad’hévah:​

“You shall bear this parable against the King of Babylon, and you shall say, ‘How has the dominator ceased, has ceased the boisterous one?’”

The definition of the Hebrew word – מָשָׁל – mashal is “parable,” “allegory,” “apologue,” “fable,” “metaphorical expression.” Do any of these definitions mean anything to you? Do you know what a fable is? Do you know what a metaphor is?

In verse 12 the King of Babylon is being metaphorically compared to – הֵילֵל בֶּנ־שָׁחַר héylél ben-shaḥar – “Venus, the morning star.” Héylél is the Hebrew name of the planet Venus. The chr-stian invented pseudo-Septuagint translates this - ὁ ἑωσφόρος ὁ πρωὶ ἀνατέλλων ho heōsphoros ho prōi anatellōn – “the bringer of dawn, the morning star.”

The Latin word lucifer is a compound of two Latin words lucis or lux and ferre, and means “bringer of light.”

Doesn’t Revelation 22:16 say that your hero is the bright morning star? Does that mean that you are saying that j-sus is satan? That’s what it looks like to me. Doesn’t that make you a heretic?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all know that Jews don't believe in a "literal" evil supernatural personage.
We also know that, according to Jews, it is "G_d" that "creates evil".
Yes, we know, G_d "tests you" and tries to "lure you" away from Judaism
I form the light, and create darkness:
I make peace, and create evil:
I the LORD do all these things

- Isaiah 45:7

You've lost the old rabbinical skill of recognizing "prophetic passages" in scripture. Probably had something to do with post-70 A.D.

Boy, are you are in for a "big surprise".

For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep,
and hath closed your eyes: the prophets [you have no prophets]
and your rulers, the seers hath he covered. [you have no seers]
Isaiah 29:10

The second Temple was destroyed on the 9th day of Av in the year
3828 (technically 3991) on the Hebrew calendar, which would equate to July 26
th
68 CE on the Julian calendar, or August 8
th 68 CE on the Gregorian
calendar had it existed.

Prophecy –
נְבוּאַהn’vuah is always based upon the p’shat
or exactly as it is written, unfortunately for you, you can’t even read that,
all you can read are very poor chr-stian biased translations. You have my
sympathy, but not my empathy. I feel sorry for you because you are the one who
has been misguided.

Don't mean to interrupt this, how should we put it, discourse out there on the TOL cutting edge, but can anybody around here recommend a thread that isn't an exegetical train wreck?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov;4765825 said:
th
calendar had it existed.

Prophecy –
has been misguided.
You don't know what you're talking about, are you a misguided jew?

beameup

Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov;4765825 said:
th
calendar had it existed.

Prophecy –
has been misguided.

There was a time when Jews clearly understood the Tanakh, but all that changed in the 1st Century A.D.
There was an extreme crisis that required the complete "recreation" of Judaism with the demise of the Temple. As a result the Talmud was assembled and extreme efforts were made to "cover-up" any possible Tanakh reference to a certain "Yeshua of Nazareth". The "Judaism" of today bears no resemblance to the Judaism that existed until the 1st Century A.D. There is no "Judaism according to Moses"... zero, zip, nada

They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand. - Isaiah 44:18

Yet the LORD hath not given you an heart to perceive, and eyes to see, and ears to hear, unto this day. - Deuteronomy 29:4

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. - John 5:39

Deaf, Dumb, and Blind

beameup

So, we can see that the Adversary to God had an exhalted position in heaven:
"anointed cherub that covereth" until "iniquity was found in thee". see Ezekiel 28
At which point he was evicted from heaven: "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer"
because he exalted himself above God. see Isaiah 14

heir

TOL Subscriber
Isaiah 14:

How the oppressor has quieted down,
and how the raging[a] has become quiet!
5 The Lord has broken the staff of the wicked,
the scepter of the rulers.
6 It struck the peoples in anger
with unceasing blows.
It subdued the nations in rage
with relentless persecution.
7 All the earth is calm and at rest;
people shout with a ringing cry.
8 Even the cypresses and the cedars of Lebanon
rejoice over you:
“Since you have been laid low,
no woodcutter has come against us.”
9 Sheol below is eager to greet your coming.
He stirs up the spirits of the departed for you—
all the rulers of the earth.
He makes all the kings of the nations
rise from their thrones.
10 They all respond to you, saying:
“You too have become as weak as we are;
you have become like us!
11 Your splendor has been brought down to Sheol,
along with the music of your harps.
Maggots are spread out under you,
and worms cover you.”
12 Shining morning star,[c]
how you have fallen from the heavens!
You destroyer of nations,
you have been cut down to the ground.
13 You said to yourself:
“I will ascend to the heavens;
I will set up my throne
above the stars of God.
I will sit on the mount of the gods’ assembly,
in the remotest parts of the North.[d]
14 I will ascend above the highest clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.”
15 But you will be brought down to Sheol
into the deepest regions of the Pit.
16 Those who see you will stare at you;
they will look closely at you:
“Is this the man who caused the earth to tremble,
who shook the kingdoms,
17 who turned the world into a wilderness,
who destroyed its cities
and would not release the prisoners to return home?”
18 All the kings of the nations
lie in splendor, each in his own tomb.
19 But you are thrown out without a grave,
like a worthless branch,
covered by those slain with the sword
and dumped into a rocky pit like a trampled corpse.
20 You will not join them in burial,
because you destroyed your land
and slaughtered your own people.
The offspring of evildoers
will never be remembered.
21 Prepare a place of slaughter for his sons,
because of the iniquity of their fathers.
They will never rise up to possess a land
or fill the surface of the earth with cities.

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary
The {per}version you are using makes Lucifer, the "morning star" in verse 12!

Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

Talk about a dead giveaway that Satan is behind these perversions of the word of God in his attempt to make himself like the Most High. Morning star should only be attributed to the Lord Jesus Christ Himself!

Revelation 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
~The Nature of Satan~
Satan has a bit of a dual construct- he is both appointed to test men and also wicked, having gone rogue. Because he didn't merely test man, he set man up for imminent failure.

~Lucifer~
'Morning Star' is 'Venus', whose name is also 'Phosphorus' or 'Lucifer'. All in all, the name symbolizes 'illumination' or 'bearing light'.
This clarifies why both Satan and Christ are given the title of Morning Star at different points in scripture.

~Christ's Revelation of Satan~
Jesus reveals a lot about Satan, which was one of the things that presumably stunned the Pharisees because in the old Jewish tradition, you weren't supposed to speak upon the dealings of up above.

And so Christianity opened up the floodgates to a whole lot of speculation regarding evil and our folly by the Devil. It is revealed to us that there is a war between the fallen and the holy.

heir

TOL Subscriber
heylel - H1966 - shining one
Lucifer = "light-bearer"
*from Strong's Concordance
Satan's light blinding as the counterfeit, just as he.

2 Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
2 Corinthians 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

jew huh ?

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
The {per}version you are using makes Lucifer, the "morning star" in verse 12!

Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

Talk about a dead giveaway that Satan is behind these perversions of the word of God in his attempt to make himself like the Most High. Morning star should only be attributed to the Lord Jesus Christ Himself!

Revelation 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
Morning Star and the Light Bearer are both fair translations.

Lucifer is the crock transliteration.

I will not argue this, as it has much scriptural backing.

Why was Jesus the serpent lifted on the pole in the OT, while Jesus is the Bright Morning Star in the NT?

The morning star was a reference to the north star.

The guide of travelers.

That's the first hint.

And no, I'm not implying anything bad about Jesus.

But you have much information in the Ezekiel passage to help with this puzzle.

This is accurate. If you believe it is an error, you are missing something important.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
'Morning Star' or 'Lightbearer' is almost certainly a 'title'. Satan was promised to be the 'Prince of the Earth' and Jesus took it away upon defeating him.

These Jews fail in the most elementary ways a lot of the time, because they are driven by base animosity toward Christianity rather than sound reason.

Also
'Lucifer' is due to St. Jerome not understanding the metaphor when he translated the scriptures. You see, Venus is the morning star, and he figured it couldn't be talking about the goddess- so, Lucifer.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned

So, I was saving this for Heir, but you went there.

If the serpent was cursed, how did the Serpent raised on the pole bring complete healing?

If the morning Star of Isaiah is like the North Star, what brings death, but is the ultimate guide to the Jew's?

It's almost like Isaiah is listing a North Star that you travel by, that may be extremely dangerous to go by.

It's almost as if something important happened between Isaiah and Revelation that changes our focus to the BRIGHT Morning Star?

Hmmmmm, the Law brings curses and death when transgressed at one point and stands as a witness against us.

While Jesus does not condemn and brings life.

There it is Heir.

Jesus took the curse of disobedience for us and replaced the crafty serpant who was lording over us through death, sin and Moses.

By fulfilling all of Moses for us, Jesus showed us that He was our True NORTH.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Satan's light blinding as the counterfeit, just as he.

2 Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
2 Corinthians 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
No fair!

Your too fast! You figured it out before I could throw out tiny hints!

I'm calling foul because you're so sharp it takes the fun away. 😊😉😃

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Satan - Lucifer - Devil

'Morning Star' or 'Lightbearer' is almost certainly a 'title'. Satan was promised to be the 'Prince of the Earth' and Jesus took it away upon defeating him.

These Jews fail in the most elementary ways a lot of the time, because they are driven by base animosity toward Christianity rather than sound reason.

Also
'Lucifer' is due to St. Jerome not understanding the metaphor when he translated the scriptures. You see, Venus is the morning star, and he figured it couldn't be talking about the goddess- so, Lucifer.
Venus was worshiped by many too!

Venus and Diana are linked, though Diana was ultimately tied to the moon.

This was a result of the God Sin.

Babylonian God's have mysteriously maintained a following to this day.

The moon can only get it's light from the Sun, but still reflects the Sun's light.

Diana is talked about in the new testament and one of the three Abrhamic faith's of today unknowingly venerates her in a black cube in idol form.

Oops. I think I gave it away.

It is Islam.

[emoji4]

Last edited: