Salvation in the New Testament

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
A person can learn about salvation in Jesus Christ throughout the New Testament Writings or Scriptures.

Discuss salvation in the New Testament.

Jerry Shugart

Here we read that "eternal life" is a gift:

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Ro.6:23).​

In the following verse we read that those who received the Apostle John's first epistle were told that they already possessed eternal life in the Lord Jesus:

"And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son" (1 Jn.5:11).​

Despite the fact that this eternal life which John said that these believers had received is a "gift" there are many posters on this site who insist that in order for these Jews to receive this gift they had to endure to the end to receive this eternal life. If they are right then perhaps they will tell us why John told them that they already have eternal life in the Son.

These same people also say that the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved and receive this gift of eternal life apart from "works." But they never explain why these believers had to do "works" in order to receive this gift. They don't seem to realize that if one has to work to get the reward the reward cannot be classified as a "gift."

In fact, the Savior Himself told the Jews who lived under the law that the gift is received by faith and faith alone:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Here we read that "eternal life" is a gift:
Eternal life is a gift.
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Ro.6:23).​
Amen.
In the following verse we read that those who received the Apostle John's first epistle were told that they already possessed eternal life in the Lord Jesus:
I believe or receive the Scripture as written and want to understand it as it was meant to be understood.
"And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son" (1 Jn.5:11).​
Amen.
Despite the fact that this eternal life which John said that these believers had received is a "gift" there are many posters on this site who insist that in order for these Jews to receive this gift they had to endure to the end to receive this eternal life. If they are right then perhaps they will tell us why John told them that they already have eternal life in the Son.
When does eternal life begin? Is it something that a person has but which has yet to begin? People speak of eternity, but there might not be such a concept spoken of in Scripture.
These same people also say that the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved and receive this gift of eternal life apart from "works." But they never explain why these believers had to do "works" in order to receive this gift. They don't seem to realize that if one has to work to get the reward the reward cannot be classified as a "gift."
There is such a thing as a gift with conditions or contingencies, but God's gift of salvation is not like that.
In fact, the Savior Himself told the Jews who lived under the law that the gift is received by faith and faith alone:
Whose faith? The individuals? Is faith a gift? Is salvation a gift based on an individual person's faith? Ephesians 2:8-9.

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​
Already or in terms of God's judgment as when a person dies and is judged before God and Jesus whenever that takes place after their death? It sounds like already. That I have already crossed over from death to life. How can I be sure of what I am communicating?

comingfrom

BANNED
Banned
A person can learn about salvation in Jesus Christ throughout the New Testament Writings or Scriptures.

There are 45 verses containing the word salvation in the New Testament.

I won't post them all, you can click the link to see.
It is hard for me to pick a favorite.
I like this one.

Neither is there salvation in any other:
for there is none other name under heaven given among men,
whereby we must be saved.

Acts 4:12

meshak

BANNED
Banned

All Jesus' word or teachings are gospel.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Whose faith? The individuals? Is faith a gift? Is salvation a gift based on an individual person's faith? Ephesians 2:8-9.

It is the individual's faith:

"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die" (Jn.11:25-26).​

"For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day"
(Jn.6:40).​

At Ephesians 2:8-9 is is "salvation" which is the gift and not "faith."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It is the individual's faith:

"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die" (Jn.11:25-26).​

"For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day"
(Jn.6:40).​

At Ephesians 2:8-9 is is "salvation" which is the gift and not "faith."

That is what I have been taught.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
All His teachings are good news.

Correct. But after He died the gospel preached was the message about Jesus not Jesus Himself preaching a message or gospel or good news, except in His appearing to many and ascending and being at the right hand of God.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Correct. But after He died the gospel preached was the message about Jesus not Jesus Himself preaching a message or gospel or good news, except in His appearing to many and ascending and being at the right hand of God.

His teachings are in the books of "Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and the Revelation."

meshak

BANNED
Banned
In Acts Jesus speaks. In other books his teaching is repeated.

The rest of the books are mostly Paul's teachings.

His teachings confused the readers.

Jesus' word is simple and clear. Not hard at all.

It is just hard to follow for most of us because we are so worldly.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The rest of the books are mostly Paul's teachings.

His teachings confused the readers.

Jesus' word is simple and clear. Not hard at all.

It is just hard to follow for most of us because we are so worldly.

I agree. The golden rule, etc....