Robb Elementary School shooting

PureX

This sounds lovely, but would require state intrusiveness and snitching to be the bedrocks of your society for such policies to be even mildly effective.
No, it wouldn't. All it would require is a system similar to motor vehicle licensing; with testing that includes safety, proficiency, legal understanding of use and responsibility, and cognitive ability. And yes, some background checking, too.

For example. If we denied a license to own, use, or carry firearms to people who have been convicted of DUI, we could save many hundreds of lives every year from gunshot. Same goes for people who have been involved in stalking, domestic violence or abuse, making threats, reckless driving, and so on. Because we already know these people are not stable, and are not socially responsible. We don't need anyone to "tattle" on them. We just need to keep track of the information we already have, and apply it sensibly.
What you want is your restrictions implemented. What you're unwilling to consider is that doing so requires the subjugation of individual wills. And the best arguments you have to convince people to bow to your agenda are emotionalism.
Selfishness is not freedom. We live TOGETHER in a modern, highly interconnected society. And that means we don't get to do whatever we want just because we want to. It means we have to consider the effect of our behavior on those around us. And since some of us won't do that, it means we have to establish systems of governance that will do that for us, and see to it that we follow through on that responsibility. It's why societies form governments and pass laws to regulate people's behaviors in the first place. I'm sorry that you don't like that, but you seem quite happy to avail yourself of all the amazing benefits that come from living in a modern interconnected society. So now you're going to have to put on your 'big boy' pants and accept that living in such a society comes with a responsibility to the well-being of all those people you live in this society, with. And might mean that you don't get to play with guns the way you'd like to.

PureX

It also wouldn't have hurt Ukraine to have as liberal a gun policy as Americans do ...
If Ukraine had our military, it would have had no use whatever for our "liberal gun policies". You're presenting a false scenario.

PureX

Americans have always protected their right to own guns for defense against all enemies of the US, both foreign and domestic
That's complete BS. We created the military and the civilian police to do that so we wouldn't have to.
enemies who hate America and want to take guns away so they can force Americans to convert America into a third-world Marxist state ruled by atheistic fascist oligarchs.
Stop voting for the oligarch's toadies and the problem would be solved.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
If Ukraine had our military, it would have had no use whatever for our "liberal gun policies". You're presenting a false scenario.
If the US had Switzerland's military, liberal gun policies wouldn't exist. Every home is required to possess a rifle. The result? The # of murders per one million people in the US is 42. In Switzerland it's 7.

marke

That's complete BS. We created the military and the civilian police to do that so we wouldn't have to.

Stop voting for the oligarch's toadies and the problem would be solved.
"You" created the early American military, the God Bless American laws, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, free enterprise, and states rights? If so, then you know gun rights were recognized in the beginning for reasons that will never change.

marke

They're so liberal in Switzerland that they have liberal gun laws:

Crime rates rise in direct proportion to rises in criminal attitudes among the population. The numbers of guns are not a factor. When thugs become convinced that criminal activities are justifiable, that hatred is normal, that rebellion is to be rewarded, that disrespect for laws and authority is admirable, and so forth, the numbers of crimes increase.

Hoping

Banned
"You" created the early American military, the God Bless American laws, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, free enterprise, and states rights? If so, then you know gun rights were recognized in the beginning for reasons that will never change.
Yeah, let those red coats try invading us now, huh!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, it wouldn't. All it would require is a system similar to motor vehicle licensing; with testing that includes safety, proficiency, legal understanding of use and responsibility, and cognitive ability. And yes, some background checking, too.

So...

No, it wouldn't and yes.

Gotcha.

For example. If we denied a license to own, use, or carry firearms to people who have been convicted of DUI, we could save many hundreds of lives every year from gunshot.

That's the most insane bit of thinking I think I've ever read.

Selfishness is not freedom.

Platitudes aren't useful.

We live TOGETHER in a modern, highly interconnected society. And that means we don't get to do whatever we want just because we want to. It means we have to consider the effect of our behavior on those around us. And since some of us won't do that, it means we have to establish systems of governance that will do that for us, and see to it that we follow through on that responsibility. It's why societies form governments and pass laws to regulate people's behaviors in the first place. I'm sorry that you don't like that, but you seem quite happy to avail yourself of all the amazing benefits that come from living in a modern interconnected society. So now you're going to have to put on your 'big boy' pants and accept that living in such a society comes with a responsibility to the well-being of all those people you live in this society, with. And might mean that you don't get to play with guns the way you'd like to.
When you've got something that makes sense to say, let us know.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
As I already stated, Democrats promote the slaughter of millions of children through the infanticide of abortion, so when it comes to children, they can just shut up.

Second of all, there is a price to pay for living in a free society. Criminals and terrorists and others take advantage of our openness and do us harm. That is a price we pay to live free.. The alternative is the Marxist lockdown state the Democrats want.

A famous man once said, its better for a hundred criminals to walk free than for an innocent man to go to prison. This is how our society is constructed, and as I said, we pay a price for our freedom.

Furthermore, gun ownership saves more lives that it costs. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded, almost every major study on the issue has found that Americans use their firearms in lawful self-defense between 500,000 and 3 million times a year.

I prefer to live free, with my rights and with my guns. I prefer to be a well armed citizen so I can protect myself and my neighbor. The disgusting filthy grooming Democrats will always use a sad event to try to take away our freedom and our rights.

Let's send the Karens a message in November that they can take their Marxist authoritarianism, and their anti-constitution whining, and go back under the rocks they came from.
Countries with strict gun control laws include the UK, Australia, Germany, Japan, and South Korea. None of them are "Marxist lockdown states."

I call them stupid just like I call you Democrats stupid.

They are not as free as we are Karen. And more than that they are not Americans, again, just like you.

Guns flow in the American blood: It is our culture because a private armed citizenry is how our nation was born. The armed citizen, together with the small continental army, plus a few other friends, defeated the mighty British Crown and created the greatest nation ever to exist in the history of mankind, a nation where we understood that our rights come from God and government exists only to protect those rights. We tore loose the shackles of oppression and, and we did it thanks to the private citizen gun owner. And that has been our tradition ever sense.

You have another tradition: The Wussie tradition. Wussies like Big Mommy Government to protect them. If you like that then move to Europe

Guess what: Its time to grow up and be adults and come to grips with the fact that in this world bad things happen. So wipe your Karen tears, trade in your diapers for boxers, and grow up.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
:unsure:

In the old days when kids were taught to respect guns and not fear them, there were no big school shootings. Do any of you gun control wussies want to explain why that is?

V090420_%252894%2529__73871.1606959665.1280.1280.jpg

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned