REPORT: The Deity of Christ

ya'nar

Kiwimac, spot on, that any more would be not only embarrassing, but worse....boring.

Evangelion, we've squeezed this booger dry, for all and more than it was worth, and if there is any grace in any of it, which I think there is, a bit more was placed on the all round respect ledger by and for all parties than that which drew blood.

I am more than satisfied with that.

Few points.

Doesn't matter whether it's faith, religion and theology, or politics, society and government, or science, or philosophy, or the art of weed-whacking....

Most folks engaging in discussions on the Net, from where ever and about whatever, don't research, verify, cite or I even think understand what they are doing, saying, copying or babbling.

In the age of Nabster, the world seems to think the entire Net is public domain. Colleges are having a hard time with this one, as even graduate students are 'plagiarizing' without even comprehension of what plagiarism is. It doesn't compute when you have 500 CDs worth of 'free' music on your hard drive.

Evangelion, you may also remember, if you are as decrepit as I, the sixties, when college professors climbed down from Olympus into the great abysmal swamp of the warm and fuzzy.

'Hi, folks. I'm Bob, your professor for this class. Your name is Mark? Mark, what do you think about the monastic system in early Medieval Europe?'

At that point the prof with about twenty years of study in a field lets a kid barely past acne know that their individual thoughts on a subject only one had even a clue about - were about equal in worth.

It was the dawning of the age of self esteem.

It's enshrined. Reporters ask the man on the street what he thinks of the NRON scandal, the anthrax scare, the problems in the Middle East, and some mook who hasn't a clue about stocks, business ethics, trading, law, energy policy, Mid-East history, chemistry, biology, adequate personal hygiene, or much more than is needed to keep overfed and out of jail, pontificates "Well, I think the big guys are always screwing the little...'....and the reporter nods sagely receiving this great dollop of folk wisdom.

Egalitarianism has won the battle for the mind. All thoughts are equal, all opinions valid, and facts are really determined by feelings.

This cultural morass has not be kept from the Churches. In many ways, it is a bastard offspring of 'private judgment'.

'Sounds nice, Mr. Saul or Mr. Paul, but I think it means....'

The most galvanizing example of this is when three or four of God's obviously chosen are deeply engaged in spiritual combat with each other, each absolutely convinced he is indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and therefore something akin to a spokesman for God. God can't ever be wrong, and so the indwelt cannot be wrong, so we are left with God taking three or four different positions, or, God forbid, somebody is maybe not really speaking for Him.

That can't be the case, and so the warm and fuzzies of Christian self esteem triumph over One Truth, Light and Way...and each congratulates the other for how the Spirit led each to different conclusions.

Bottom line - evverybody's self esteem is maintained, and as He said...

'Whoever would be My disciple, let Him have self esteem and follow Me.'

Evangelion, there is a lot you and I disagree about. Important things. Very.

But there is maybe this of a kindred nature: suffering fools gladly is, maybe, our cross.

I don't do it as well, kindly or graciously as I should.

And, sometimes, being a bit primed and shell shocked, I over react. Born of years of being burned, on edge, and all too often prepared for the worst.

Someone very close to me thought she recognized, understood and sypathized with something of the same in you.

We'll no doubt wrassle at some point.

It'll be with respect.

Denis

Last edited:

Evangelion

Thankyou Denis.

Thankyou Denis.

Just a couple of comments -

Evangelion, you may also remember, if you are as decrepit as I, the sixties, when college professors climbed down from Olympus into the great abysmal swamp of the warm and fuzzy.

Alas, no. The sixties are just a little bit before my time. I am only 29 years old. :) (You can see my photo in the T.O.L. Gallery - here.)

Evangelion, there is a lot you and I disagree about. Important things. Very.

But there is maybe this of a kindred nature: suffering fools gladly is, maybe, our cross.

I don't do it as well, kindly or graciously as I should.

And, sometimes, being a bit primed and shell shocked, I over react. Born of years of being burned, on edge, and all too often prepared for the worst.

Someone very close to me thought she recognized, understood and sypathized with something of the same in you.

We'll no doubt wrassle at some point.

It'll be with respect.

Amen to all of that. :up:

Thanks again.

:)

Evangelion

Freak -

I have debated your kind quite often and have done so in public forums all over the world.

Then you must be one big lump of bruises by now. ;)

I'm not one least bit taken back by your desire to engage me in a debate on the Trinity.

Of course not. Because we both know that you won't actually come up with any straight answers. :rolleyes:

In fact, I'm still awaiting for you to answer my many questions I have raised in our last debate.

Oh yeah? Such as "Will you throw away your cultic beliefs and open your heart to the Triune God"?

Pointless drivel like that?

Save it. :p

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Alow me to comment on the original thread....

Remember that the New Testament reflects a diversity of first-century theologies. Which is the true one? Well, there is no final arbiter on this and we must do the best we can with our faith--which is all we really have. If the Bible is to be inerrant, then claim it so but also remember that it does not automatically follow that our understanding of it will also be inerrant.

Off the top of my head (and I'm not usually one for throwing proof-texts back-and-forth because I think it demeans our search for God), John's gospel has Jesus saying the Father and he are "one" and also has him saying the Father is "greater than" Jesus. Go figure.

There is so much frustration and heartache in trying to make Scripture into what we want it to be rather than allowing its richness to speak. Beneath its contradictions, differing views and adaptations of who God is and who Jesus was, there is a healthy diversity if we would only recognize it.

If a farmer's field has only one crop it will always be on the edge of ruin.

Last edited: