Religious Zealotry

marke

:) Actually, I'm not ANY of those things. I'm an artist!

Rituals and traditions have their place. They are useful tools when used appropriately. But they can become divisive totems, too, if one is not careful.

I'm not looking for magical experiences. I don't need them. I can see for myself the truth of Christ's revelation and promise, all around me, in real life.
No need for magic. If you claim to have a right relationship with God then just give diligence to make sure you are not wrong.

2 Peter 1:10
Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

PureX

The Bible claims to be "God breathed". You are on the outside looking in.
"God breathed" does not mean "inerrant". You are just making stuff up to suit your own ego. Humanity was "God breathed" and not one of us has ever been inerrant.
How do we "get the spirit of God within us"? By some magic? By looking at the stars?
It exists in all of us as His creations. As a work of art reflects the spirit and mind of the artist that creates it. All Creation reflects the spirit of it's Creator. Even existence, itself, is surprisingly benevolent and forgiving.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The Bible is a collection of texts written, edited, and assembled by men. Everyone knows this.

Those men were inspired by God to write what they wrote.

Are you asking me if I believe that God somehow made those men magically inerrant in their understanding of God's mind and will?

No.

I'm asking if you reject the Bible as being the inspired word of God.

there are so many different versions and interpretations of those texts,

There may be many translations/interpretations of the text, but we have documents such as the Dead Sea Scrolls which show us the scriptures as they were at least a century before Christ, and most if not all of the translations we have today are translated directly from the original Hebrew and Greek texts.

there is clearly so much all-too-human bigotry and violence involved in it.

False.

Besides, if God were making the Bible magically inerrant, every translation would say exactly the same thing. And why would God bother when every person that reads it will come away with a different understanding of what it means, anyway. What's the point of giving an inerrant text to errant readers?

No one here (barring Marke) has claimed that the Bible as it is currently is inerrant.

But those aren't the main reasons why I don't accept the "inerrant Bible theory".

Which I reject.

To be clear: My position is that the Bible was perfect and inerrant in it's original manuscripts (which have since been lost to time and entropy). All we have are copies that DO have errors. YET: That does not mean that the Bible is no longer "the inspired word of God."

The real reason is that such a belief makes the adherant's faith weak, and totally dependent upon an unreasonable and unrealistic presumption of external authority.

God does exist. He is the external authority.

Without their inerrant Bible, the "believer" has no God at all. As the Bible has become his God, and he has rejected any and all other avenues of association.

Do you think God could not write a book that, despite human error creeping in over the centuries, could remain internally consistent with itself, thereby preserving the original intent of it's words?

Why do you need certainty so badly?

Because it's rational.

Are you that afraid to be wrong?

I'd rather my beliefs be wrong than unfalsifiable, which is where you currently stand.

Faith is not about certainty.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible. - Hebrews 11:1-3 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews11:1-3&version=NKJV

Faith is about choosing to follow an ideal in the face of it's UN-certainty.

Faith is about putting one's trust in something certain.

We do not have faith in something that is uncertain. Well, you might, but I do not.

God isn't saying anything in the Bible.

False.

There's nothing in the Bible but a bunch of words.

It's called God's word for a reason.

If God is awakening your mind and heart when you read the Bible it's because God is in your heart and mind, already.

Not what I'm talking about.

Not because God is "in the Bible."

Not what I'm saying.

The book is just a book. The words on the pages are just words on pages.

Duh.

God didn't arrange them and put them there, people did.

The physical pages, cover, glue, and ink that's there, yes, the people put it there.

But the people who originally wrote what is in the Bible were inspired by God to write what they wrote.

God was the Author, they were the pen.

The information contained within the Bible comes from God.

God is in your heart.

He's clearly not in yours.

The book just happened to help you recognize it.

But lots of things can do that for you. God's truth could be found in anything if we're open to it.

So "God's truth" could be found in "Mein Kampf"? "Satan's Bible"?

Written by men that did not have the benefit of Christ.

David wrote most of the Psalms, including the verses of the ones I just quoted.

He was a righteous man, according to scripture, a "man after God's own heart."

And so did not understand that they had God's spirit already within them.

Scripture contradicts you:

Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. - Psalm 51:11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm51:11&version=NKJVDo not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. - Psalm 51:11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm51:11&version=NKJV

Unlike David, however, we in the Body of Christ are SEALED with the Holy Spirit, who will never depart from us.

Laws are for people who have no faith in God's divine spirit within them, and so need some external authority to tell them how to think and behave all the time. Sadly, these men of weak faith then try to impose their authorities on those who don't need them. Creating impediments and stumbling blocks to way of the spirit.

Whatever that means...

And love is a many-splendored thing. A flower with many petals: forgiveness, kindness, respect, generosity, all given freely, and without the expectation of return. Follow the spirit of love, within, and law becomes irrelevant.

:yawn:

That may well be so. But it does not make the Bible or those who read it inerrant.

Supra.

God inspires us in many ways and in many things, but we remain fallable humans, nevertheless.

Never said otherwise. But being infallible doesn't mean we are always wrong, nor does it mean we cannot be correct some of the time, or even most of the time.

They may believe they know the mind of God,

Or, they may actually know, to some extent.

but believing doesn't make it so.

Duh.

And if they were to be honest and reasonable about it with themselves, they would admit that it's not very likely that they could know the mind of God, for a whole host of reasons.

Saying it doesn't make it so.

But unfortunately for them, their whole theology and self-identity is built on this arrogant and unreasonable presumption,

What's arrogant and unreasonable about asserting that the Bible is God's word?

so they cannot allow themselves to contemplate how unlikely and unreasonable it actually is. And this drives them apart from their fellow humans.

Hypocrite.

God's divine spirit is within you.

I am sealed with the Holy Spirit.

It always has been.

False.

Just relax and let it guide your interactions with the world.

New age nonsense.

We don't need to know what God thinks.

Because you say so?

Neither are you. So how can you know what is or isn't inerrant?

Because Jesus said we can know what is true, and not only that, but that the truth will set one free.

Well, now. It appears that you don't know the mind of God after all, then, do you.

He was establishing a premise to his statement, not saying he doesn't.

How would you know?

Through rational thought.

As just as clearly YOU are not one of those people.

Hypocrite.

Opinions are just opinions.

Look in a mirror.

They're pretty much all we humans get when it comes to aproaching the truth of things.

Truth is not a matter of opinion.

So laws and opinions and religious ideologies and all that don't really have to "mean" anything.

Because you say so?

If we let that spirit within us be our life-source, the rest becomes irrelevant.

More new age nonsense.

It's sad that you feel you have to bear false witness against me to retain your sense of self-righteousness.

No one is bearing false witness against you.

But that's what happens when one's faith is weak and so dependent upon one's imaginary God-knowledge.

You sure do like bearing false witness against other though. Hypocrite.

And if it makes you feel better to pretend you're closer to God than I or others are, then I'm glad you're feeling better about yourself.

Says the one running away from God...

And yet it requires brain work to even understand that, and to make that determination. It does not honor God to make a false idol of man-made religious text.

No one here is making a false idol, nor is the Bible a man-made religious text.

Nor does it honor God to use that false idol to presume upon oneself the right or ability to pass judgment on others.

Your argument is moot, because your above accusation is false on both counts of what it asserted.

Nothing about the "inerrant Bible theory" honors God.

Again, aside from Marke, no one here is claiming the Bible as it is currently is inerrant.

What I PERSONALLY have claimed in this thread is that the Bible WAS inerrant and perfect in its original manuscripts.

All it does is falsely glorify an ancient tribe's religion

Again, more evidence you have never actually read the Bible, nor do you know what it's even about!

and use it to attack and condemn others, in the present.

Justly.

As well as some of the worst.

False.

No, it's just an affront to your source of self-assumed righteousness.

False.

Unless the story has been 'embellished' to promote that idea. Which is very possible, given human nature.

Embellished?

Have you ever read the Bible all the way through?

If so, which part is embellished?

Especially when it comes to the idea of some humans gaining authority over others.

Which shows you haven't read the Bible.

Again, human nature does not equate to a divine mandate.

No one has said it does.

Authoritarian power structures among humans are natural expressions of our biological and cultural past.

Wrong.

I realize that it's impossible for you to contemplate that . . .

A classic example of ad hominem.

both the scriptures and the church are man made,

The Church called the Body of Christ is not man made. The congregation of Israel is not man made. All others are.

Religions are how we humans try to grasp and relate to the mystery of 'God'.

Just because God is a mystery does not mean He is irrational.

They are not God, themselves.

Straw man.

They do not embody God.

Straw man.

They are just mechanisms meant to help us find a way to engage with God for ourselves. Whenever religions, and especially religious institutions start trying to become the 'gatekeepers' between humans and God, they are way over-stepping their intended purpose. And if we allow this, or support it, abuse will occur. Because humans cannot resist abusing each other when given undeserved and unchecked authority over others.

The Bible says that Jesus is the only way to heaven. Do you disagree?

I will not allow any man to stand between myself and God.

How about the Man, Christ Jesus?

Nor any religion's scripture, traditions, prejuduces, mandates, or whatever else they think they have by God's authority.

You wouldn't even know about Jesus if it weren't for Christianity, as a whole.

A lot of humans really want that power. They want to play God and lord their own imagined righteousness over others. But I will not cede it to them, ever.

You sure do paint with a really broad brush, but you never actually make an argument against those who are here in this thread.

Because God has not ceded His authority to any man, and set him above any other.

False.

Instead, God has given each of us His spirit, instead of His authority. And it is that I will honor and respect.

Yawn.

PureX

No need for magic. If you claim to have a right relationship with God then just give diligence to make sure you are not wrong.

2 Peter 1:10
Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
It's not about "right or wrong". It's about love or fear, forgiveness or resentment, kindness or mean-spiritedness, generosity or selfishness ... it's about embodying the divine spirit of our Creator that exists within as His creation, or wallowing alone in fear and selfishness. If you're worried about being right or wrong you're missing the whole point of having been given the gift of being human.

Right Divider

Body part
"God breathed" does not mean "inerrant". You are just making stuff up to suit your own ego. Humanity was "God breathed" and not one of us has ever been inerrant.

It exists in all of us as His creations. As a work of art reflects the spirit and mind of the artist that creates it, Creation, itself, reflects the spirit of it's Creator. Even existence, itself, is surprisingly benevolent and forgiving.
It's impossible to discuss reality with someone so disconnected from reality as you are.

marke

It's not about "right or wrong". It's about love or fear, forgiveness or resentment, kindness or mean-spiritedness, generosity or selfishness ... it's about embodying the divine spirit of our Creator that exists within as His creation, or wallowing alone in fear and selfishness. If you're worried about being right or wrong you're missing the whole point of having been given the gift of being human.
You don't have to try to convince me your unique opinions about God and the Bible are right. Everyone has opinions but there is only one Bible. I'll go with God and the Bible.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Rituals and traditions have their place. They are useful tools when used appropriately.

Duh

But they can become divisive totems, too, if one is not careful.

It's usually when someone doesn't understand the purpose for them.

I'm not looking for magical experiences. I don't need them. I can see for myself the truth of Christ's revelation and promise, all around me, in real life.

What you need is Christ.

God is the great mystery source, sustenance, and purpose of all that is.

More new age dribble.

To pretend that we understand God because we collected some people's writings on the subject

The only one pretending here is you.

and idolize them

No one here is idolizing the Bible.

is to absurdly minimize the reality of that mystery just so we can pretend we 'own' it.

More new age dribble.

Do you really think just repeating your inerrant Bible belief as if it were a fact will somehow make it become fact to anyone else?

As far as I was aware, @Right Divider (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't believe the current Bible is inerrant, only the original manuscripts, so you can stop using that straw man.

Do you really think that by continuing to misrepresent what I say you will somehow change my mind?[?QUOTE]

No one is misrepresenting you.

Or is this all you can think to do to try and reassert your ideological dominance in the face of reasonable skepticism?

So far, you have provided ZERO (0) reasons to reject the Bible as God word, only your opinions.

If so, you might want to consider why your theology is so impotent in the real world.

That's another matter entirely. Don't get distracted.

Love, forgiveness, kindness and generosity (the spirit of God manifesting within us) is very powerful and healing in the real world, and changes hearts and mind routinely.

While your inerrant

Supra.

Bible theory only isolates you and drives you to condemn others.

Remember what I said (rather, what the Bible said that I quoted) about the law being a tutor to bring people to Christ?

Yeah, the law doesn't do that through "love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity." It does it by condemning those who are under it.

It has little positive effect in the real world, if it has any effect at all.

False.

So why do you fight so hard to hold onto it?

Because it's effective.

"God breathed" does not mean "inerrant".

No one said it did.

You are just making stuff up to suit your own ego.

Hypocrite.

Humanity was "God breathed" and not one of us has ever been inerrant.

Adam (and Eve, for that matter) was inerrant when he was created. He lost that inerrancy when he sinned, and broke as a result.

It exists in all of us as His creations.

False.

As a work of art reflects the spirit and mind of the artist that creates it, Creation, itself, reflects the spirit of it's Creator.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that God is within everyone. In fact, because we are broken, He CANNOT be within those who have not repented.

Even existence, itself, is surprisingly benevolent and forgiving.

More new age dribble.

It's not about "right or wrong."

Yes it is.

If you're wrong, you're wrong. If you're right, you're right.

And you are very, clearly, wrong.

It's about love or fear, forgiveness or resentment, kindness or mean-spiritedness, generosity or selfishness ... it's about embodying the divine spirit of our Creator that exists within as His creation, or wallowing alone in fear and selfishness.

None of those things will save you from your rejection of God and His word.

If you're worried about being right or wrong you're missing the whole point of having been given the gift of being human.

False.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You propose one of the most indefensible and atrocious notions that's ever been aired in the entire history of this forum.

False.

Namely, the execution of five year old children for somehow committing a "capital crime".

If a five-year-old commits a capital crime, he should be executed. So should anyone else who commits a capital crime.

There's no support for this whatsoever on any level including the Bible

False.

and yet you've persisted with it for years now and whilst it's good to see that nobody else has defended it on here it makes it no less repugnant.

Saying it doesn't make it so.

Though, to you, someone so deep in darkness for so long, the light must really hurt your eyes.

How is advocating something that is indefensible and repeatedly so not also stupid?/QUOTE]

Loaded question.

It's not indefensible, and I have defended it successfully multiple times.

It's not stupid to proclaim the truth.

PureX

Those men were inspired by God to write what they wrote.
Still doesn't make any of them inerrant.
I'm asking if you reject the Bible as being the inspired word of God.
Why are you asking when you don't understand what being inspired by God means?

Martin Luther King was clearly a man inspired by God. He was truly a light unto the world. Yet he was certainly not inerrant. Nor was Gandhi or Mother Theresa or anyone else who has clearly lived their lives inspired by God.
There may be many translations/interpretations of the text, but we have documents such as the Dead Sea Scrolls which show us the scriptures as they were at least a century before Christ, and most if not all of the translations we have today are translated directly from the original Hebrew and Greek texts.
Why do you think that matters? It was still men writing them, still men interpreting them, and still men copying, editing, and assembling them. And before they were written down and assembled, it was still men passing the stories to each other verbally. And today it's still men reading them and determining for themselves what they think the stories mean.

There's nothing "inerrant" about any of it.
No one here (barring Marke) has claimed that the Bible as it is currently is inerrant.
Are you now claiming that "God's Word" contains human flaws and errors, like ignorance, bias, bigotry, egotism, and so on? Because if you are, I'm going to be very surprised to see it!
To be clear: My position is that the Bible was perfect and inerrant in it's original manuscripts (which have since been lost to time and entropy). All we have are copies that DO have errors. YET: That does not mean that the Bible is no longer "the inspired word of God."
So being errant, yourself (given to ignorance, bias, bigotry, and egotism), and reading a now errant copy of the text (also containing the ignorance, bias, bigotry, and egotism of the various authors, editors, and copiers that produced it), how do you surmise that anything you read there is "inerrant"? Rather than it being the result of all-too-human ignorance bias, bigotry, and egotism?

The only way I would know how to tell "God's words" from men's words would be to hold them up to the light of that divine spirit within; that spirit of love, and forgiveness, and kindness, and generosity; that heals and saves us all, to see if the words are reflecting that light, or impeding it. And when I do that I find proclamations about homosexual abomination to be impeding that light. To be antithetical to God's love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity. And so I can see that those are men's words, born of men's ignorance, and of men's bigotry, and of men's egotistical desire to feel superior to others. And I can learn from this, just as I can learn from the words that DO reflect the light of God's loving spirit.

So the Bible IS profitable for teaching and for spiritual soul-searching even without pretending that God wrote it. In fact, partly BECAUSE we can't pretend that God wrote it.
God does exist. He is the external authority.
God exists, and is the ultimate author. Yes. But I dont see how that really matters to us except to show us that WE are not anyone's ultimate authority. Not even our own.
Do you think God could not write a book that, despite human error creeping in over the centuries, could remain internally consistent with itself, thereby preserving the original intent of it's words?
I cannot even imagine how God would be that foolish. What would be the point of engaging in such an inevitably failed exercise? Why, then, allow other religions to create their own scriptures to compete with God's? The whole idea is nuts.

However, that divine spirit that exists in the hearts of men (and women, of course) can inspire us to write amazing things. Beautiful things, and wise things, and things that can then inspire other men and women to realize their own divine spirit within.
Faith is about putting one's trust in something certain.
The single greatest failure of religious Christianity has been the teaching that blind pretense, is 'faith'. It's not. Blinding oneself to doubt, and/or to contrary evidence, and/or to ill results just to dogmatically maintain some idea of God is NOT FAITH. It's just blinding pretense. And blinding pretense is bad for several reasons, the main one being that it's DISHONEST. To ignore the truth of actual reality is dishonest. And any religion that teaches people to do that, and calls doing that 'faith', is lying. It is being dishonest, and it is encouraging others to be dishonest, too.

Faith accepts doubt. Faith accepts the evidence of actual reality. Faith does not deny common sense or reasonable prognostication. Faith looks at and consider all of these things, and then CHOOSES to act in accord with what one HOPES to be so, even though one cannot know it to be so at the present time. Faith is hope turned into action. It is not blind. It is not falsely arrogant. And it is not willfully ignorant.

Faith does not need the delusion of an inerrant Bible.
We do not have faith in something that is uncertain. Well, you might, but I do not.

It's exactly when things are uncertain that we can choose to put our faith in what we hope to be true. Without uncertainty, there is no need for faith.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Still doesn't make any of them inerrant.

False.

Why are you asking when you don't understand what being inspired by God means?

Why do you assume I do not?

Martin Luther King

Who?

The only famous Martins I know of are Martin Luther, and Martin Luther King, Jr.

was clearly a man inspired by God. He was truly a light unto the world. Yet he was certainly not inerrant.

Duh.

Nor was Gandhi

Ghandi was evil and manipulative.

or Mother Theresa

Good works won't pay anyone's way into heaven.

or anyone else who has clearly lived their lives inspired by God.

Wrong definition of inspired, somewhat.

Sure, I can be inspired by an experience I had and write something, but inspire also means "(of air or another substance) that is breathed in," which is more of a literal description, but in the case of the authors of the Bible, it's more of a figurative description of what happened. They were filled with the Holy Spirit (inspired), and drew inspiration from that indwelling.

And lets not forget that in certain circumstances (for example, Moses, writing about the creation of the universe when no one but God existed), God could have also told His authors what they needed to write down when certain details might have been unavailable.

Why do you think that matters?

Because you seem to think that there have been many steps of translations between the original Hebrew and Greek, to our current English versions, and it's simply not the case.

There is only one translation step from the Hebrew/Greek to English.

It was still men writing them,

Again, only the original manuscripts were inerrant, inspired by God. The copies were not.

still men interpreting them,

Why would they need to interpret them?

We're talking about records of events that were WELL understood (and not to mention, well preserved) at the time of writing and even several centuries later. We're talking about letters sent from Paul to the churches he founded.

There's very little to "interpret."

and still men copying, editing, and assembling them.

The reason I brought up the Dead Sea Scrolls was that you can compare the Dead Sea Scrolls (which contained most of the Hebrew Bible (what we today consider the Old Testament)) with a modern copy of the Hebrew texts, and they will be, for all intents and purposes, identical, the only differences being spelling differences and maybe the occasional change in grammar.

And before they were written down and assembled, it was still men passing the stories to each other verbally.

First of all, you underestimate how capable the minds of ancient men were.

I recommend checking out Don Landis's The Genius of Ancient Man.

Second, Moses, the first author of the Bible, wrote, not verbally passed down, the first five books of the Bible (barring the last chapter or so of Deuteronomy after He passed, which was written down by Joshua.

Sure, stories could have been passed down verbally, but the scriptures were written down.

And today it's still men reading them and determining for themselves what they think the stories mean.

There's nothing wrong with trying to find hidden meaning in what Scripture says, so long as you don't completely ignore what it plainly says.

On the other hand, there's people like you who just outright reject the Bible, not even considering what it actually says.

There's nothing "inerrant" about any of it.

Again, quit with this straw man. It's not going to get you anywhere.

Are you now claiming that "God's Word" contains human flaws and errors,

No.

I'm claiming that the Bible we have today contains errata that cannot be rectified without the original manuscripts to compare to. All one has to do is look up "list of bible errors" and go to the first atheist site and they list plenty of discrepancies between parts of the Bible.

However, I'd like to remind you that despite ALL of those discrepancies, NONE of them change the overall meaning of the text, nor the overarching message of the entire Bible.

like ignorance, bias, bigotry, egotism, and so on?

That's not what "inerrant" refers to.

"Inerrant" means "incapable of being wrong."

The Bible was inerrant in its original manuscripts. There were no errors, nor was there anything wrong, in the original text.

So being errant, yourself . . . , and reading a now errant copy of the text . . . , how do you surmise that anything you read there is "inerrant"?

Supra.

The only way I would know how to tell "God's words" from men's words would be to hold them up to the light of that divine spirit within;

So you claim to be the judge of what is and is not God's word?

Talk about arrogant.

that spirit of love, and forgiveness, and kindness, and generosity; that heals and saves us all, to see if the words are reflecting that light, or impeding it.

Sounds like more new age gobbledygook.

And when I do that I find proclamations about homosexual abomination to be impeding that light.

Must be the light from Lucifer then, because it isn't the light from God.

To be antithetical to God's love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity.

Telling people it's ok to be gay is antithetical to being loving, because it only affirms them in their sin.

Just like telling people it's ok to keep driving towards that cliff up ahead and if they keep going, they won't die.

And so I can see that those are men's words, born of men's ignorance,

There's nothing ignorant about warning the wicked that they're going to hell.

and of men's bigotry,

There's nothing unreasonable about warning the wicked that they're going to hell. Thus, it's not bigotry.

and of men's egotistical desire to feel superior to others.

You REALLY need to look in a mirror.

And I can learn from this, just as I can learn from the words that DO reflect the light of God's loving spirit.

Which you can't possibly know because you reject the Bible as God's word.

So the Bible IS profitable for teaching and for spiritual soul-searching even without pretending that God wrote it.

The only one pretending here is, again, you.

In fact, partly BECAUSE we can't pretend that God wrote it.

We can't pretend that He wrote it because we KNOW that He did, in fact, write it.

God exists, and is the ultimate author. Yes.

Not what I said.

But I don't see how that really matters to us except to show us that WE are not anyone's ultimate authority. Not even our own.

What you see or don't see isn't relevant. What matters is what IS.

I cannot even imagine how God would be that foolish.

Why is it foolish for God to write a book that outlasts any of them?

What would be the point of engaging in such an inevitably failed exercise?

Failed?

Last I checked, the Bible is literally the world's best seller!

Why, then, allow other religions to create their own scriptures to compete with God's?

Because God created man to have the freedom to reject Him.

The whole idea is nuts.

Appeal to the stone is a logical fallacy.

However, that divine spirit that exists in the hearts of men (and women, of course)

Look, you don't have to specify women when talking about humanity.

In this context, it's clearly understood that "men" refers to all of mankind, which by definition includes women.

can inspire us to write amazing things. Beautiful things, and wise things, and things that can then inspire other men and women to realize their own divine spirit within.

Yawn.

The single greatest failure of religious Christianity has been the teaching that blind pretense, is 'faith'. It's not. Blinding oneself to doubt, and/or to contrary evidence, and/or to ill results just to dogmatically maintain some idea of God is NOT FAITH. It's just blinding pretense. And blinding pretense is bad for several reasons, the main one being that it's DISHONEST. To ignore the truth of actual reality is dishonest. And any religion that teaches people to do that, and calls doing that 'faith', is lying. It is being dishonest, and it is encouraging others to be dishonest, too.

That's nice, but that's not the kind of faith I have.

Faith accepts doubt.

Faith accepts the evidence of actual reality.

Something which you reject.

Faith does not deny common sense or reasonable prognostication.

No idea what you're referring to here.

Faith looks at and consider all of these things, and then CHOOSES to act in accord with what one HOPES to be so, even though one cannot know it to be so at the present time.

False.

Faith is hope turned into action. It is not blind. It is not falsely arrogant. And it is not willfully ignorant.

That doesn't sound like you.

Faith does not need the delusion of an inerrant Bible.

You keep knocking down that straw man. It must feel good.

It's exactly when things are uncertain that we can choose to put our faith in what we hope to be true. Without uncertainty, there is no need for faith.

Wrong.

Jenkins

God is the great mystery source, sustenance, and purpose of all that is. To pretend that we understand God because we collected some people's writings on the subject and idolize them is to absurdly minimize the reality of that mystery just so we can pretend we 'own' it.
Lol. Word Salad? Need some egg?